AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-02-19, 16:23   Link #121
KiraYamatoFan

Quite a nerve-wrecking day for Canada, but at least we can feel better now. First of all, Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse really did a spectacular comeback on their last 2 attempts (especially the final run) to grab the gold once again in women's bobsled.

Also, our men's curling team finally got the final despite a slow start in the round robin a few days ago. Like the women's team, there is now one big game to play for gold.

In ice hockey... I can't remember the last time I cursed so much at the opposition's goalie for robbing the game so often in an international competition. Although Canada got through Latvia, the players really need to be a lot more clinical than this because it won't forgive against the US on Friday.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:08   Link #122
Xagzan

I'm glad Gracie Gold reached the Top 4. After watching Yuna Kim and the others, I'm not holding my breath for her, or the other Americans to medal, but best of luck all the same.

Of course, I wasn't aware of any of these people before two weeks ago, so what do I know
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:27   Link #123
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I'm glad Gracie Gold reached the Top 4. After watching Yuna Kim and the others, I'm not holding my breath for her, or the other Americans to medal, but best of luck all the same.
The Free Program is a horse of a different color compared to the Short Program. Whereas the short program is hindered at times by a more restrictive choreography as certain techniques must be performed in certain ways at certain times, the free program lives up to its name and allows the athletes time to stretch themselves and rack up points in a more complex an interesting ways. I would be surprised if America received a medal, but based on how well they did in the Short, and their sheer potential in the Free, it is still well within their powers to get a Bronze, and if they are great, something higher. Still, this is Yuna Kim's or Adelina Sotnikova's to lose now that Mao Asada has so thoroughly taken herself out of contention (Yulia Lipnitskaya also has a great Free program, but she goes before the two best Americans and Kim, so her placement allows time for the other competitors to work out what they need to beat her).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:33   Link #124
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
American team definitely peaking late, but better late than never. Really impressed with some of these performances the last few days.

I dread another match with Canada in hockey... men's or women's...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:49   Link #125
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Really, ouch! Those Finns are really a tough team indeed to beat Russia like they did, but only few people would say that they didn't see it coming for Team Russia. Basically, I see the same glaring mistakes as they did in Vancouver by mixing up NHL and KHL players.
Leaving Alex Semin off the team was a mistake. He's one of Russia's four best wingers, so leaving him off the team depleted them up front.

Russia's defense is also fairly weak, and a bit old. Their Top 4 are probably Markov, Voynov, Gonchar, and Emelin. Markov and Gonchar were elite 1st pairing D at one time, but have declined with age. You and I both know Markov and Emelin from the Habs, and they're very good in the right role, but here they don't have a PK Subban with them to take some pressure off of them.

Speaking of Subban, I don't know what Canada's coaching staff is thinking in not playing him at all. Here's the reigning Norris Trophy winner, and one of the very best offensive defensemen in the league, and he's been a healthy scratch in 3 of 4 games. His offensive talent could have been very useful in the last two tight 2-1 games.
Old 2014-02-19, 20:02   Link #126
KiraYamatoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Leaving Alex Semin off the team was a mistake. He's one of Russia's four best wingers, so leaving him off the team depleted them up front.

Russia's defense is also fairly weak, and a bit old. Their Top 4 are probably Markov, Voynov, Gonchar, and Emelin. You and I both know Markov and Emelin from the Habs, and they're very good in the right role, but here they don't have a PK Subban with them to take some pressure off of them.

Speaking of Subban, I don't know what Canada's coaching staff is thinking in not playing him at all. Here's the reigning Norris Trophy winner, and one of the very best offensive defensemen in the league, and he's been a healthy scratch in 3 of 4 games. His offensive talent could have been very useful in the last two tight 2-1 games.
I'm not too sure about Semin because I think he has been horrible overall this season. I was at the Bell Centre a few weeks ago when Carolina played the Habs, and I thought Semin was absolutely nowhere to be found. But since the Russians looked toothless in the other lines, perhaps he would have tried something offensively. I think the main problem with Russia was that they had too many KHL players although the quality discrepancy between both the KHL and the NHL exists. And indeed Markov and Emelin are more susceptible to have a mare when Subban's not there to take away some pressure. We saw it in Vancouver and we saw it today as well.

The more it goes with Subban being left out, the more I believe the problem is the coaching staff's obsession with defending (Babcock, Julien and Ruff are defensive-minded freaks). No wonder why we don't score many goals unlike Sweden or the US, especially when our power play needs another breath of life at times. I really don't rate our lefties among the Ds except for Duncan Keith if the game goes down to the wire, so you can imagine why I'm fuming against Babcock for playing the likes of Vlasic and Hamhuis ahead of Subban (WTF?).

And since Mike Babcock is barely making this season with his Red Wings, I think a better head coach should have been Joel Quenneville (2 recent Stanley Cups, winning experience with a stacked team, knows how to mix attack and defense). He's a lot more astute than Babcock IMHO.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-02-19 at 20:45.
Old 2014-02-20, 14:58   Link #127
KiraYamatoFan

GOAL! GOAL! GOAL, GOAL, GOAL! GOOOOOOOAAAAAAL!!!

Marie-Philip Poulin scores in overtime and wins the gold medal for Canada in women's hockey once again! Worthy of mention that the girls trailed 0-2 at some point before retaliating twice in 2 minutes 29 seconds to force extra time. And that completes a massive day for Canada after a golden victory in women's curling by Jennifer Jones' team with an overall 11-0 record in these Olympics.

Oh man, what a day! I'm exhausted.
Old 2014-02-20, 15:02   Link #128
james0246

What an exciting ending to the Skating events. Congratulations to Adelina Sotnikova for a simply stunning win over Yuna Kim (who won Silver). Many will quibble over the scoring in days to come, but seeing the sheer emotion on Sotnikova's face upon winning the first Gold Medal for Russian Women's Skating (let alone her outright crying after finishing her skate) was well worth my disappointment for Kim, and the fact that it occurred on Russian soil made the win all the more meaningful (NBC's underdog twist on the event definitely helped my appreciation). Additional congratulations to Italy's Carolina Kostner who skated beautifully and won a Bronze in her last Olympics appearance (a lot of great performers are retiring after this last skating event).

Additional excitement for the Canadian Women's Curling team who just resoundingly had a Gold medal victory over Sweden in an extra End earlier today. Jennifer Jones led her team to an unprecedented 11-0 sweep and managed to defeat the country that has held the Gold for the previous three Olympics (Also congratulations to Great Britain for finally getting a Curling medal). And with the win in Women's Hockey, this is arguably one of the best days in Canada's recent Olympic history.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 15:08   Link #129
DarkJak2050

Great Job, US... Great Job...

You just had to fuck up in the most crucial moments of the game...

I normally save this for the San Jose Sharks, but considering the US women did the same exact shit the Sharks do late in a game, this calls for it...

And watching how they did late in that 3rd period and in Overtime is infuriating enough...

So I don't need to hear it...
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 15:09   Link #130
KiraYamatoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
What an exciting ending to the Skating events. Congratulations to Adelina Sotnikova for a simply stunning win over Yuna Kim (who won Silver). Many will quibble over the scoring in days to come, but seeing the sheer emotion on Sotnikova's face upon winning the first Gold Medal for Russian Women's Skating (let alone her outright crying after finishing her skate) was well worth my disappointment for Kim, and the fact that it occurred on Russian soil made the win all the more meaningful (NBC's underdog twist on the event definitely helped my appreciation). Additional congratulations to Italy's Carolina Kostner who skated beautifully and won a Bronze in her last Olympics appearance (a lot of great performers are retiring after this last skating event).
I can't wait to see that watch that in replay tonight; I can only imagine the electric atmosphere in the arena. Sotnikova will certainly become the next big thing in women's figure skating and dominate for years to come.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:05   Link #131
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Disappointing that Yuna didn't win, but eh it happens. Congrats to Adelina for winning the gold and for Russia. The score though... bit questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Oh that is an understatement, the Koreans are already pissed . Sadly as it is, I except Adelina to avoid any social medias from the unfortunate bullying she will receive.

Anyway mediocre olympics for Korea in this one, didn't not even get the half the amount from last time. Hopefully the disappointment in this Olympic will at least some as a motivation for next one.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:29   Link #132
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Disappointing that Yuna didn't win, but eh it happens. Congrats to Adelina for winning the gold and for Russia. The score though... bit questionable.
Oh that is an understatement, the Koreans are already pissed . Sadly as it is, I except Adelina to avoid any social medias from the unfortunate bullying she will receive.

Anyway mediocre olympics for Korea in this one, didn't not even get the half the amount from last time. Hopefully the disappointment in this Olympic will at least some as a motivation for next one.
Maybe...

Especially when South Korea is hosting the next one (2018). Although, I heard that Yuna Kim's retiring after Sochi.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:46   Link #133
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Yuna is definitely retiring, and honestly I don't think she should come back. She has done more than enough for Korea so there should be zero pressure for her to comeback.

Our short track this time was a massive disappointment. From what I understand, there was lot of internal bickering and conflict with the federation. Hence, situation like Viktor Ahn happened.
Old 2014-02-20, 16:56   Link #134
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
What an awesome Gold medal game for Women's Hockey. One of the best comebacks I've watched, especially considering it was all on the line here.

Huge props to Canada for showing incredible heart and determination throughout the entire game, but especially late in the third and in overtime.
Old 2014-02-20, 18:49   Link #135
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Yuna is definitely retiring, and honestly I don't think she should come back. She has done more than enough for Korea so there should be zero pressure for her to comeback.

Our short track this time was a massive disappointment. From what I understand, there was lot of internal bickering and conflict with the federation. Hence, situation like Viktor Ahn happened.
You thought that's dissappointing?

You should be glad that you guys got medals period. Although it's not much, but better than nothing.

The US doesn't have any medals at all (Both Long and Short Track).

And this is the first Winter Games without Apolo Ohno. So with him gone, so is our Short Track.

Unless if J.R. Celski ("Supposedly" Apolo's "Successor") can pull something out of his ass for the 5000m relay...

But after how he did in the individual events, I just don't see that happening.
Old 2014-02-20, 19:52   Link #136
Xagzan

So Yuna Kim is retiring, and at 23, I believe. Perhaps someone more familiar with the sport could tell me if that's a typical retirement age? Because it seems awfully young
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 22:39   Link #137
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
So Yuna Kim is retiring, and at 23, I believe. Perhaps someone more familiar with the sport could tell me if that's a typical retirement age? Because it seems awfully young
Her need to retire is understandable considering the massive amount of adulation and pressure (or, sorry to say, obsession by some) exerted by Korean fandom upon domestic celebrities, and it's very stressful when they have to deal with the apparent loss of personal privacy.

But with her loss, I hope she doesn't get the worst end of it by the time she comes home.
Old 2014-02-20, 22:49   Link #138
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
You thought that's dissappointing?

You should be glad that you guys got medals period. Although it's not much, but better than nothing.

The US doesn't have any medals at all (Both Long and Short Track).

And this is the first Winter Games without Apolo Ohno. So with him gone, so is our Short Track.

Unless if J.R. Celski ("Supposedly" Apolo's "Successor") can pull something out of his ass for the 5000m relay...

But after how he did in the individual events, I just don't see that happening.
Different standard I suppose, short track is something Korea excels at, I believe we are the most successful country in that sport. Also, our disappointment extends with Ahn Hyun Soo or Viktor Ahn winning two medals for Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Her need to retire is understandable considering the massive amount of adulation and pressure (or, sorry to say, obsession by some) exerted by Korean fandom upon domestic celebrities, and it's very stressful when they have to deal with the apparent loss of personal privacy.

But with her loss, I hope she doesn't get the worst end of it by the time she comes home.
She won't, Korea loves her. The number one most searched term in Naver right now is "연아야 고마워" which means "Thank you Yuna". At this point they are more angry at the judges.
Old 2014-02-20, 23:17   Link #139
Yye1
Wide Right

USA vs Canada tomorrow!! GO CANADA!!

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 05:58   Link #140
DarkJak2050

Okay, I feel like that Men's Ice Hockey's missing something...

Oh yeah, someone getting Kronwalled.

The last time I saw someone getting Kronwalled was Palmieri (Ducks @ Red Wings, 2013 Playoffs Quarter-Finals Game 4)

I watch Sweden's games specifically because of Niklas Kronwall. I want to see a Kronwall hit from him. Even if it's one, I'll be happy.

Edit:

It seem's I'm going to be right on one part, US will have worse results than in Vancouver.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-02-21 at 15:09.

Tags
olympics