Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-14, 11:56   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Looking for G-rated anime

I go to a Catholic school and tutor so I would like to find a G-rated anime (without violence, fighting, fanservice, and other stuff that is questionable).

So far I only got:
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Ponyo

Are there others?

(and btw, no Pokemon and Yugioh... I don't think the school will accept it)
Old 2011-03-14, 12:16   Link #2
jedinat

Whisper of the Heart
Twin Spica
Old 2011-03-14, 12:38   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are some G-rated items, though they're all either streamed or in torrents. I suspect the streams aren't available in the Philippines, but you might be able to track down the torrents if you look in the right places. The first two have animal protagonists living with Japanese families.

Chi's Sweet Home (S1 in torrents not listed here; S2 on Crunchyroll)

Higepiyo

Cross Game (streamed by VIZ on Hulu; excellent subs exist as well)

Dennou Coil (bit dark at times, but excellent and appropriate nonetheless)

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 portrays a brother and sister trying to return home after a major earthquake in Tokyo.

Depending on your school's view about the acceptability of anime with supernatural themes, Natsume Yuujinchou would be a worthwhile option.

Another excellent but potentially iffy choice is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin (CR stream; subs also exist). There are some difficult scenes, though, so I'd recommend pre-screening. It was aired by NHK as a show for children and families, but it might not fly in your setting.

All this presupposes you can show subtitled materials without the kids complaining or the school's administration objecting on copyright grounds.
Old 2011-03-14, 12:50   Link #4
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

@Sensei: Yeah... I'll see if I can show it to the school. Although I can't show Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 until the wounds heal.
Old 2011-03-14, 15:14   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Personally I'd think it was quite an appropriate time to show it. Probably garner more attention and interest from the students now, too. I can understand Animax deciding to discontinue showing TM8.0 in reruns in Japan at the moment, but you're in another country.
Old 2011-03-14, 16:05   Link #6
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Aria. its been named the best anime for preadolescent girls. its also been named the best anime ever made by me.
Cross Game is also wonderful.

TM8.0 isn't even rated G...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-03-14, 16:55   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What about Gakuen Alice? I could see it being G-rated and it's rather good.
Old 2011-03-14, 17:04   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Gakuen Alice might cause psycho-religious-rage, since it's largely about magic...
Old 2011-03-14, 19:45   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

Aria has virtually nothing objectionable in it and is a wonderful slice of life series.
Old 2011-03-14, 20:55   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
TM8.0 isn't even rated G...
Are we talking about its rating in Japan? Since it was never released in R1, it obviously can't have an MPAA rating.

Whatever its "rating," TM8.0 contains none of the types of content the OP is concerned about. I think the putatively family-friendly Erin is a more difficult show for kids. MyAnimeList says that's PG-13, but again, I don't where they got that from. There's no rating I can see on Crunchyroll's site, and there's no other R1 licensor to provide one.

I guess I'd rate both these shows PG, meaning "parental guidance" required. In this context, such "guidance" would mean not showing anything to an audience of youngsters that I hadn't fully pre-screened.

If shows about magic are acceptable, I'd add Tweeny Witches and Someday's Dreamers to the list. Both shows pose moral issues that would be worth discussing in a school context. Windy Tales is another appropriate show about magic users.
Old 2011-03-14, 20:58   Link #11
Cryonosis
~Desu

Heh, going to be hard to match Veggie-tales when it comes to Sunday School cartoons.

Adventures of Mini-Goddess - The dubbing is fantastic, the episodes are short and non-episodic; the material is also very family friendly.

The Cat Returns - Follows in line with other Miyazaki films, Fairly good watch, I don't recall there being anything objectionable in it.

Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto - very cutesy, very kiddy-ish. . . Probably would appeal more to little Girls.
Old 2011-03-14, 21:33   Link #12
mecharobot

Moomin is nice, but it has withcraft. Then again, Kiki's Delivery Service has too so I guess that's not a problem.
Old 2011-03-14, 22:37   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game of course.

Aria probably

I'm trying to remember how much fanservice Clannad had. I don't really remember much- Kyou in gym clothes is about as far as it went if I remember right.

Whisper of the Heart

Girl Who Leapt Through Time is also pretty clean.

K-On has a little bit of fanservice. But it's usually pretty tame. The show is quite popular with young women. So you might check it out yourself and see what you think. I believe the first beach trip is probably the height of the fanservice, so if you get through that episode without objection then it's probably safe.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-15, 01:44   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I'd probably lose my job if I show something questionable... so hopefully these would all work... (well as far as I can remember... CLANNAD had some fighting and stuff, ending up with Sunohara creamed.)

Tags
general, kids