AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-12-07, 21:56   Link #7801
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Flacco is underrated. Not many QBs can get hot like he did in the playoffs.

If we get stuck with a game manager and they just go on thinking that's good enough we'll never win a Super Bowl. That's why I want them to hit on Winston or Mariota next year.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 23:09   Link #7802
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Flacco is underrated. Not many QBs can get hot like he did in the playoffs.
True indeed, it is a game of chance that occurred. However, the same can be applied to Super Offense teams who have terrible defense. You know that when you watch these games, both teams are going to be lighting up the scoreboards back and forth. It makes the game a lot compiling to watch to the audience and good for ratings. The prime excitement I think most people include is the incredible stop of a defense in the final moments. When they are discussing it on ESPN or NFL Network about Superbowl, how many have you heard or acknowledge that it is up to chance? Sport's analysts will coat it with "they needed that stop and they did all in their power to do so" many times. Yet no Sport's analysts will say that it was up to chance, mostly out of fear that admitting the cruel truth will result of them getting fired.

Sure it is good to watch and it is exciting, but I don't like it that what determines the winner is up to chance that a defense will miraculously show up that one day. I prefer to have a defense that shows up everyday. My ideal Superbowl game is a clear cut competition of two teams with excellent Quarterbacks and great defense, who can out play each other proving to one another that I am the better team. Not a game with a scoring hay down with some miracle of a defensive stop that gets the win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
If we get stuck with a game manager and they just go on thinking that's good enough we'll never win a Super Bowl. That's why I want them to hit on Winston or Mariota next year.
Remember what Bill Polian said "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about" and Nick Saban said "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager". Both guys know what winning is about and I agree with their definition of a game manager quarterback. A Quarterback is a game manager, they do all they can to win. The best Quarterbacks are game managers, yes Peyton and Brady you name it, because they aim to make sure their team wins. They don't down grade their game fearing what happens. Media and such blow it out of proportion stating a game manager is a average or bad Quarterback that does the minimum to not lose the game for their team so its rushing offense and high level defense can win the game.

Also, Suzuku, I am not not saying we don't need a Franchise Quarterback. We need a franchise Quarterback to win the Superbowl. That is a must, I don't think we can leave it up to chance that our average Quarterback can somehow turn hot in the moment we need it. My issue is that, we do all we can to get a franchise Quarterback that we forget to develop a foundation. That is my grip about this entire discussion. I am not saying we don't need a Franchise Quarterback, I am saying we need to develop a foundation for that Franchise Quarterback. When the Jaguars become a powerhouse of a team that is contending for the Superbowl or wins it, I want to be able to say that we won because we have the complete package.

The 2004 Patriots and 2004 Philadelphia Eagles is what I want the Jaguars to become under Caldwell and Bradley. Top 10 in both offense and defense are both teams. Both teams come in with equal standings to one another, who ever wins it wasn't by chance, it was by who is the best team among them.

Also about your post of Blake Bortles, I thought that he was a 2015 prospect. Many draft boards don't even listed him as a 2014 prospect. Even with the recent outstanding performances he had, many still say Bridgewater and Carr is the better prosepct. I don't think Houston would select him over Carr or Bridgewater.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 23:57   Link #7803
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Age: 36
Thanks you MSU!

My Tigers look like they will get that shot at the Title!

An all Southeastern US game!!!

Hope to see you soon FSU!
__________________
Primary Faith: Christianity Secondary Faith: Holoism
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:03   Link #7804
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 29
Hah, 24 straight Ws and not a single trophy to show for it. Probably going to be beat in whatever BCS bowl they go to as well.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:27   Link #7805
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Hah, 24 straight Ws and not a single trophy to show for it. Probably going to be beat in whatever BCS bowl they go to as well.
Actually, I would hate to play them after a loss like that... they will likely come out angry. I don't see Clemson matching them, but you never know. They could come out and lay a huge egg. We have seen let-downs like that before.
__________________
Primary Faith: Christianity Secondary Faith: Holoism
Rajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:27   Link #7806
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
True indeed, it is a game of chance that occurred. However, the same can be applied to Super Offense teams who have terrible defense. You know that when you watch these games, both teams are going to be lighting up the scoreboards back and forth. It makes the game a lot compiling to watch to the audience and good for ratings. The prime excitement I think most people include is the incredible stop of a defense in the final moments. When they are discussing it on ESPN or NFL Network about Superbowl, how many have you heard or acknowledge that it is up to chance? Sport's analysts will coat it with "they needed that stop and they did all in their power to do so" many times. Yet no Sport's analysts will say that it was up to chance, mostly out of fear that admitting the cruel truth will result of them getting fired.

Sure it is good to watch and it is exciting, but I don't like it that what determines the winner is up to chance that a defense will miraculously show up that one day. I prefer to have a defense that shows up everyday. My ideal Superbowl game is a clear cut competition of two teams with excellent Quarterbacks and great defense, who can out play each other proving to one another that I am the better team. Not a game with a scoring hay down with some miracle of a defensive stop that gets the win.
Yeah I definitely agree with this, we should focus on building the defense. Offenses get hot and cold but it's defense that carries you throughout the season and the playoffs. That said, you NEED that franchise QB that bell you out, push down the field, and get you that extra touchdown that can be all the difference in winning a game. If you don't have a QB that can do that you can't get anywhere in today's league, even with the best defense.

Quote:
Remember what Bill Polian said "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about" and Nick Saban said "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager". Both guys know what winning is about and I agree with their definition of a game manager quarterback. A Quarterback is a game manager, they do all they can to win. The best Quarterbacks are game managers, yes Peyton and Brady you name it, because they aim to make sure their team wins. They don't down grade their game fearing what happens. Media and such blow it out of proportion stating a game manager is a average or bad Quarterback that does the minimum to not lose the game for their team so its rushing offense and high level defense can win the game.

Also, Suzuku, I am not not saying we don't need a Franchise Quarterback. We need a franchise Quarterback to win the Superbowl. That is a must, I don't think we can leave it up to chance that our average Quarterback can somehow turn hot in the moment we need it. My issue is that, we do all we can to get a franchise Quarterback that we forget to develop a foundation. That is my grip about this entire discussion. I am not saying we don't need a Franchise Quarterback, I am saying we need to develop a foundation for that Franchise Quarterback. When the Jaguars become a powerhouse of a team that is contending for the Superbowl or wins it, I want to be able to say that we won because we have the complete package.

The 2004 Patriots and 2004 Philadelphia Eagles is what I want the Jaguars to become under Caldwell and Bradley. Top 10 in both offense and defense are both teams. Both teams come in with equal standings to one another, who ever wins it wasn't by chance, it was by who is the best team among them.
True, all QBs are game managers, but there's a difference between guys like Peyton and Brady and guys like Alex Smith and Mike Glennon. When the game is on the line and you need a touchdown, it's the QB you have to turn to. Pure game managers are just that, they manage the game. They don't lose the game for you but they won't necessarily win it either. You need a QB that doesn't just not lose you games, but wins them for you when you need them.

Quote:
Also about your post of Blake Bortles, I thought that he was a 2015 prospect. Many draft boards don't even listed him as a 2014 prospect. Even with the recent outstanding performances he had, many still say Bridgewater and Carr is the better prosepct. I don't think Houston would select him over Carr or Bridgewater.
A lot of people are starting to talk about Bortles being the first QB taken, they were even talking about it during the UCF/SMU game today. He's like a poor man's Andrew Luck in terms of athleticism and body type, which is not a knock at all. Bortles can declare this year. The reason a lot of boards overlook him is because he just came on this year. Kiper and McShay have Bortles as the number 2 QB behind Bridgewater now (for what that's worth). I can see Houston choosing Bortles over Bridgewater because a) They might be reluctant to choose another Carr with the #1 pick and b) Bortles has a better body than Bridgewater and is white (yea that's bad but I can see it influencing the decision especially for a Texas team).
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:28   Link #7807
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Happy OSU lost. No one wanted to see them in the NC game outside the state of Ohio.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:29   Link #7808
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
OH MY GOD! My Spartans are going to the Rose Bowl!!!!
__________________
Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:33   Link #7809
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Happy OSU lost. No one wanted to see them in the NC game outside the state of Ohio.
Plenty preferred OSU over an 8th straight game with SEC representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Actually, I would hate to play them after a loss like that... they will likely come out angry.
. . . Or they could view it as a consolation game, like how Oregon views the Rose Bowl and whiff.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:38   Link #7810
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Plenty preferred OSU over an 8th straight game with SEC representation.
Yeah, and they were all OSU and Big Ten fans. No one wanted to see another blowout in the NC game and that's what it would have been.

I can literally taste Urban Meyer's tears.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:42   Link #7811
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Yeah, and they were all OSU and Big Ten fans. No one wanted to see another blowout in the NC game and that's what it would have been.
Or ACC fans that would rather see OSU, or PAC-12 fans that are anti-SEC with a passion for the most part. I'm pretty tired of it, myself.

I don't think it would have been a blowout, FSU's schedule wasn't much stronger than OSUs. Outside of overrated Clemson, ACC was just as average as the Big 10 this year.

Last edited by Dilla; 2013-12-08 at 00:53.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:44   Link #7812
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
This Big 10 fan didnt want OSU getting there, Im totally happy with FSU/Auburn. I just didnt want Bama again.
__________________
Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:53   Link #7813
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Or ACC fans that would rather see OSU, or PAC-12 fans that are anti-SEC with a passion for the most part. I'm pretty tired of it, myself.
Pac-12 fan's hatred for the SEC is silly. Not the SEC's fault all their teams choke every year. And if ACC fans honestly wanted OSU just to have an easier game shame on them.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:54   Link #7814
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Wonder if I should go for the SEC team or the Florida team?

Eh, fuck FSU and their stupid chop. I'll go with Auburn.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 10:19   Link #7815
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
While I'd like to see the SEC streak broken, I can't stand FSU. So.... WAR EAGLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Yeah, and they were all OSU and Big Ten fans. No one wanted to see another blowout in the NC game and that's what it would have been.

I can literally taste Urban Meyer's tears.
Many, many Big Ten fans hate OSU. No desire to see them win.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 12:58   Link #7816
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 24
Quote:
What @MikeSilver & I reported on #NFLGameDay: Big changes coming for Titans. Munchak coaching for his job. CJ2k expected to be cut after ‘13

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Silver report the Titans are expected to release Chris Johnson following the 2013 season.

Appearing on GameDay Morning, both Rapoport and Silver had a lengthy discussion about the Titans. Coach Mike Munchak is reportedly coaching for his job, while the team also doesn't intend to pick up the club option on Jake Locker for the 2015 season. After going wild in free agency last offseason, the Titans are just 5-7. Rapoport cites "philosophical differences" between the team's brass and its coaching staff. The Titans are built to run the ball but are playing pass-first offense. Johnson is in the third year of a six-year, $55.26 million deal. We'd expect the Titans to try and trade him after the season. Teams are unlikely to bite due to Johnson's $8 million salary. Johnson will be 29 next September, but he's shown he still has juice in his legs.

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Jay Cutler is "on the radar" for the Titans in 2014.

We have a very hard time believing the Bears will simply let Cutler walk, but there are apparently people around the league who think they just might. Cutler played his college ball at Vanderbilt, which is located in Tennessee, and RapSheet says Cutler is "believed to be interested" in returning there to play. Rapoport reports the Titans will not pick up the option on Jake Locker's contract for 2015, and it sounds like they'd prefer him as a backup next year.
Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans aren't expected to pick up Jake Locker's $13 million club option in 2015.

Locker has a minuscule $2.09 million salary for 2014, but teams exercising the fifth-year option for a top-ten draft pick have to pay him a salary equal to the NFL transition tag. The Titans are going to be in the market for a quarterback after the season. Locker can't stay healthy and has been up-and-down as a pro. Rapoport expects the Titans to go after Jay Cutler.
Fuck, I swear if the Titans tank next year and get Winston...
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 13:08   Link #7817
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 32
Man, the snow is REALLY coming down in Baltimore. I love snow games!

HAHA, Flacco just shook off like 3-4 defenders and stiff armed another to run for 21 yards.

Last edited by GDB; 2013-12-08 at 13:31.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 15:07   Link #7818
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Same with Det/Philly. Crazy weather. Megatron's helmet full of snow after that TD was hilarious.
__________________
Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 16:16   Link #7819
Dilla
'Sup Ballers
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA
Age: 29
This Vikings/Ravens game has me on the floor rolling. Snow just fucks everyone up and I love it.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 16:31   Link #7820
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 32
Yeah, that was an insane game. It was as if the Ravens defense didn't want to win at all.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american football, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.