AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-13, 03:20   Link #2961
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Don't forget that a certain couple had sex mid-show in Evangelion TV series...
Could you please remind me? It's been a long time since I last saw EVA TV Series...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 03:21   Link #2962
Key Board
Carbon

I feel this is two different shows in one

On one hand, you have the forbidden "I love her but she's not human" angle.
It's how love can overcome boundaries. How forcing 02 to be human wasn't the answer, and in fact the opposite is happening and Hiro is becoming more like 02

One the other hand, you have kokoro basically going "humans should breed. That's what nature intended for us"
She's preaching traditionalist values, and Nines is framed as villainous for scoffing at that.

So you have anti traditionalist and pro traditionalist theme going on
It feels to me this was always a "boy meets oni" story but this other themes was added to address Japan's population issue. Because right now they don't mix.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 03:28   Link #2963
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Macross pretty often has couples who obviously are in an adult relationship or get into one.
Quote:
Don't forget that a certain couple had sex mid-show in Evangelion TV series and also in Macross Plus.
Ok, so I guess I was thinking more about teenage sex. I'm less surprised by adult couples having sex in anime, you're right about Misato and Kaji, and I don't remember anything in Macross Plus but it'd not be surprising.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 03:31   Link #2964
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Could you please remind me? It's been a long time since I last saw EVA TV Series...
Gan already mentioned it above. It's Misato & Kaji .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I don't remember anything in Macross Plus but it'd not be surprising.
Isamu was seen fooling around with a girl and Myung & Guld had one during the show. So, all the protags had sex in Macross Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I feel this is two different shows in one

On one hand, you have the forbidden "I love her but she's not human" angle.
It's how love can overcome boundaries. How forcing 02 to be human wasn't the answer, and in fact the opposite is happening and Hiro is becoming more like 02

One the other hand, you have kokoro basically going "humans should breed. That's what nature intended for us"
She's preaching traditionalist values, and Nines is framed as villainous for scoffing at that.

It feels to me this was always a "boy meets oni" story but this other themes was added to address Japan's population issue. Because right now they don't mix.
I think the message is simpler. It's basically this:

"Human breeding is good. Humans can even love (& breed?) with other humanoids if they want."

Both themes aren't really mutually exclusive. I think it's all about freedom to love and have a child with anyone you think is good for you.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2018-05-13 at 03:43.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 03:54   Link #2965
Key Board
Carbon

somehow I doubt the show's entire theme is "it's okay to have sex as long as one of you can get pregnant"
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 04:06   Link #2966
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I think the message is simpler. It's basically this:

"Human breeding is good. Humans can even love (& breed?) with other humanoids if they want."

Both themes aren't really mutually exclusive. I think it's all about freedom to love and have a child with anyone you think is good for you.
I think the theme in itself is pretty trite, and honestly not the most interesting bit of the show. It's an old and tired trope of some sci-fi to basically harp on any form of transhumanism, strawmanning any post-human as some kind of unfeeling monster and the most important thing in the world to just hang onto whatever our evolution crafted us to be (also kind of silly as we've already gone beyond our original "nature" in many ways, like doubling our average lifespan; but that we consider okay because we were born in a world where it was already common). APE are monsters because all they do is horribly unethical, not because they're genetic constructs or cloned or don't reproduce via sex or whatever. If someone, given the technology, wanted to evolve to not reproduce by sex, it would be their call; and I don't think it would necessarily make things worse either for them. As long as they don't force it on others.

Old 2018-05-13, 04:28   Link #2967
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
somehow I doubt the show's entire theme is "it's okay to have sex as long as one of you can get pregnant"
I doubt it too because that's not what I'm saying .

Quote:
I think the theme in itself is pretty trite, and honestly not the most interesting bit of the show. It's an old and tired trope of some sci-fi to basically harp on any form of transhumanism, strawmanning any post-human as some kind of unfeeling monster and the most important thing in the world to just hang onto whatever our evolution crafted us to be (also kind of silly as we've already gone beyond our original "nature" in many ways, like doubling our average lifespan; but that we consider okay because we were born in a world where it was already common). APE are monsters because all they do is horribly unethical, not because they're genetic constructs or cloned or don't reproduce via sex or whatever. If someone, given the technology, wanted to evolve to not reproduce by sex, it would be their call; and I don't think it would necessarily make things worse either for them. As long as they don't force it on others.
Well, I said it's simple. I didn't say that it's great .
Old 2018-05-13, 04:45   Link #2968
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Well, I said it's simple. I didn't say that it's great .
Yeah, acknowledged . Honestly this show feels like it will have a lot in common with

Spoiler for Spoiler about a Production IG mecha anime with similar themes:

Old 2018-05-13, 04:46   Link #2969
Skaddix

Quote:
I have one word for that: precaution. Even if they do not expect a fight, they should be prepared for a fight. The APEs lack the sense of precaution and they look like idiots because of it. Even more so when they did this mistake twice on-screen already.

This is what the tall APE-dude said to Klax-Hime (among other things):
“You no longer stand any chance of victory. Cease your resistance at once and surrender to us”
After that kind of shit-talking, only idiots would think that the Klax-Hime wouldn’t retaliate and not prepared for her retaliation. "Preparation and precaution when it matters" seem to be one of the big weaknesses of the APEs (they really need to learn that from Momonga ).

Arrogant & idiotic, yes. Also, those guys were not killed by the "mysterious ability". They got killed by old-school physical attacks by Klax-limbs which APEs should be more than prepared for. And yes, their intelligence work sucks.

EDIT:
Also, the chibi-APE's melee attack sucks too. You shouldn't jump high on an enemy who has limbs/tentacles on her back that looks like they can be used to quickly grab or impale you. That will only make you a sitting duck.

Gundam shows are never shy from showing pregnancy of the characters (given that it's plot-relevant). Victory Gundam comes to mind where one of the protags begins to get pregnant mid-show (it's not really youth though). But there's also Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans for youth pregnancy.
But yeah total surrender when she knows they probably want to strap her down to a lab table is unlikely.

Yeah Momonga is the new standard for wannabe Overlords granted he did get an early wakeup call but APE should still no better.

Yeah jumping into the air is a bad move unless you can fly or teleport always leaves you open for the ground to air counter.

And yeah really Mecha shows have been at the forefront of pregnant characters really.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 04:54   Link #2970
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

• It appear Kokoro x Mitsuru is slightly impacting than expected. I was upset to Zorome when him blown over their moment glad the mating eventually happened.
  • Well, i wonder if we will see some POV of Futoshi feeling toward current predicament he must scarred deeply within that chuuby face. I am still on my theory he will get happy end to raise Kokoro and Mitsuru orphaned child.
  • Those APE people are truly idiot they demand for enemy surrender in their lair without Franxx just simple gun, really did they ever prepared? Speaking an ignorance.
  • Lol at Nana in puberty in that developed grown up body, that is Trigger for you always amuse you with most simplify things.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 05:31   Link #2971
_Ninja_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberstein View Post
  • Lol at Nana in puberty in that developed grown up body, that is Trigger for you always amuse you with most simplify things.
This maybe giving them too much credit and would be a little silly. But what if Nana's striking frame wasn't drawn just to look nice. We know from early episodes that the adults intervene at puberty to put an end to that one way or another. And none of the other female characters not counting P13 are particularly "developed", the Nines being the most obvious example. The adults from what we've seen earlier appear to have no need for that and this episode it's made clear.

Nana on the other hand is the very image of feminine sexuality. And maybe it's that way to convey that yes she is properly developed because according to the doctor she "has been thought the same thing" as P13. After that she has been through "emotional indoctrination" and presumably mindwiped. But now that's becoming undone.
_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 07:17   Link #2972
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I don't think that's quite right, though. Nine Alpha talked about her "regressing" to puberty. The implication being that she passed through it already (she's probably twenty-something) but now went back to it. Or rather, he's using "puberty" as a generic term for "having human emotions at all".

Old 2018-05-13, 07:32   Link #2973
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I am still on my theory he will get happy end to raise Kokoro and Mitsuru orphaned child.
Nothing about this sentence implies a happy ending.

Modern mecha shows have been awful, and this one is no exception. What a waste of potential.
Old 2018-05-13, 08:05   Link #2974
kari-no-sugata II

I wonder what the chance is that Nana will be replaced with a brainwashed Naomi. That would certainly throw the kids for a loop and make them less likely to trust Papa.

It certainly feels like the APE council don't trust the 13ers and sent the 9s to investigate. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them will be kept to the side because they can't be trusted. I wonder if they'll try to take 02 away from Hiro but it won't work in practice (as in Hiro will need to pilot with 02).

It feels to me that APE have been repeatedly shown to be over-confident about their situation. I'm pretty sure that this'll bite them. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally planned to bench the 13ers (or hold them hostage to make Hiro/02 compliant) but are forced to bring them to battlefield because the situation is worse than expected - we have just been told that the amount of available parasites is quite low after all and the kalaxosaurs seem more dangerous than the APE council think. I bet that at some point the 13ers will lose all faith in Papa and end up fighting the 9s.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 08:25   Link #2975
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

This is nice

https://twitter.com/nakashima_mika_/...37531763924992
Old 2018-05-13, 09:25   Link #2976
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
Nana on the other hand is the very image of feminine sexuality. And maybe it's that way to convey that yes she is properly developed because according to the doctor she "has been thought the same thing" as P13. After that she has been through "emotional indoctrination" and presumably mindwiped. But now that's becoming undone.
Nine Alpha said about her replaced with her other Nana maybe that is her clone, this Nana seemingly special parasyte? to nurture children. Come to think again we never see other plant instructors maybe Nana is like pokecenter nurse there is many of her clones in every plant.

Quote:
I don't think that's quite right, though. Nine Alpha talked about her "regressing" to puberty. The implication being that she passed through it already (she's probably twenty-something) but now went back to it. Or rather, he's using "puberty" as a generic term for "having human emotions at all".
Well.....who know? In world where sex or mating is prohibited it's not surprising there is case of late puberty. Although Nana might a special case here because the mention of her clone maybe Nana cells work different than human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Nothing about this sentence implies a happy ending.

Modern mecha shows have been awful, and this one is no exception. What a waste of potential.
This anime not gonna end well anyway at least there is someone can joy smile even being bitter end.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 10:05   Link #2977
Blueknight78

Quote:
I have one word for that: precaution. Even if they do not expect a fight, they should be prepared for a fight. The APEs lack the sense of precaution and they look like idiots because of it. Even more so when they did this mistake twice on-screen already.

This is what the tall APE-dude said to Klax-Hime (among other things):
“You no longer stand any chance of victory. Cease your resistance at once and surrender to us”
After that kind of shit-talking, only idiots would think that the Klax-Hime wouldn’t retaliate and not prepared for her retaliation. "Preparation and precaution when it matters" seem to be one of the big weaknesses of the APEs (they really need to learn that from Momonga ).
well when i do agree they being idiots and doing mistakes it not was really the queen fault, because she only "retaliate" after the robot jump and attack, before that she was just doing some sort of "telephaty with the "human APE, she not was really attacking them even after what he told, if she really wanted kill them they could not even had get "that close to her" as she allowed, this show which she is not a "murderous monster" she was willing to hear what they come to say to her and maybe if the small one not had attacked her they could had survived, the problem was the "little guy" jumping and talking about kill her in that place it triggered her to get angry and kill everyong.

If they go to her "not prepared to battle at last not majority of them, this means which that not was the first time they meet and the show somehow made clear which they already meet her before them if no one was killed before them they think no one gonna be killed again, which was being "true" until the things goes wrong.

I think the idea here is which the queen is "reasonable" and if you don't provoke her she not "auto kill" you or send klaxss to kill you

Another thing to take in account is since they are no more "humans" and can just replace the one killed by a "new one" if him and not all of them are "biologic, them they really goes to a point where they almost don't care about "dying", all they need is replace the lost one for a new one.

They really where idiots but for being the ones to dig they graves.

Last edited by Blueknight78; 2018-05-13 at 10:19.
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 10:11   Link #2978
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
I wonder what the chance is that Nana will be replaced with a brainwashed Naomi. That would certainly throw the kids for a loop and make them less likely to trust Papa.
I was wondering something like this... it seems plausible all the support personnel we've seen (in Garden and basically everywhere else) are reprogrammed parasites. A lot of them wore masks though.

Quote:
This isn't the first time Hiro and ZeroTwo have spent an episode as supporting characters... that's one thing I kind of appreciated about the show early on when I was close to dropping it; I'd rather see an ensemble than another harem. Different couples have different wants and needs.

That aside, they're all basically slaves who can be mind erased or sacrificed at any time, and even their 'coming-of-age' phase is part of Franxx experiments, so... I think that bill has to come due before we can really talk about themes.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 10:19   Link #2979
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Wait! Aren't they like 9 years old...

Crap! FBI is coming...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-13, 10:45   Link #2980
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Wait! Aren't they like 9 years old...

Crap! FBI is coming...

We don't know their age, but they look around 14-16. Not that this changes anything.