AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-23, 06:41   Link #481
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Episode 3

Man, was this dull. More long-winded purple prose LN-style exposition and dialogue reiterating the same points already covered before. More explanations for story elements that don't need a whole episode spent on. More repeated meta jokes form previous episodes and no decent action in sight.

Sawano+Aoi Eir work well when there are outrageously overblown crazy things happening in my screen to the beat of Sawano-style OST vocals. And this had none of that. At this point I'd already take the out-of-the-loop-with-modern-world harem set up the show already had in first episode over whatever was this episode. Hopefully next episode is better. Just have them fight already!!
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 06:51   Link #482
RDNexus

Are you for real? I sure enjoyed this episode a lot. Given that this is a 2-cour series, they're taking their sweet time, and I appreciate that
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 07:08   Link #483
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Is it just me or is Sawano Hiroyuki's really stagnating?The OST of this series is just a complete rehash of his old work.Not only that,in my opinion,it's feels awkward and out of sync with the atmosphere of the series?
Considering I haven't seen most of the anime he worked on I feel it's spot on.

Quote:
Man, was this dull. More long-winded purple prose LN-style exposition and dialogue reiterating the same points already covered before. More explanations for story elements that don't need a whole episode spent on. More repeated meta jokes form previous episodes and no decent action in sight.
I actually liked the exposition parts, actually, especially because they don't seem to drag the pace down. And I also do like the fact that Meteora is using a "scientific" approach to their whole situation, testing the hypothesis, etc.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 07:12   Link #484
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Are you for real? I sure enjoyed this episode a lot. Given that this is a 2-cour series, they're taking their sweet time, and I appreciate that
He is one of those who clearly were determined to hate the show before it even began.
Old 2017-04-23, 07:16   Link #485
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
He is one of those who clearly were determined to hate the show before it even began.
Not surprised. Rare are the stories he actually has a nice thing to say of.
And those usually involve tragedy, excessive drama or queerbaiting...

Re:Creators has been truly surprising me on the positive. Of course, not everyone may come to enjoy it, but I'm sure it's only gonna get better
Old 2017-04-23, 07:22   Link #486
Jerseykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
What exactly the impact you are expecting?
The MC has contributed a lot than people thought if MC is so useless than Selestia would never met her creator now.
I swear people are blindfolded to branded MC being useless just because his wimpy protagonist archetype.
Some reason for him to be there other than to have a room to sleep in for the characters(which he even lost that) or to announce what anime everyone is from.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 07:26   Link #487
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Some reason for him to be there other than to have a room to sleep in for the characters(which he even lost that) or to announce what anime everyone is from.
That was the basic excuse to pin him to that situation. Surely, from now on, things are gonna start putting him more into the spotlight.
Old 2017-04-23, 07:28   Link #488
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Re:Creators has been truly surprising me on the positive. Of course, not everyone may come to enjoy it, but I'm sure it's only gonna get better
I am really excited how things will turn out. I think the studio will have learned their lessons from Aldnoah Zero and may produce a truly great show.
Old 2017-04-23, 07:29   Link #489
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I actually liked the exposition parts, actually, especially because they don't seem to drag the pace down. And I also do like the fact that Meteora is using a "scientific" approach to their whole situation, testing the hypothesis, etc.

I like good exposition done well, but this frankly was neither. IT pretty much retreaded the same grounds of the things that already were covered or did not need to be covered(the whole "what if she is from future work is already obvious from the main set-up). Not to mention that the problem here is that the exposition is so typically...light novel-ish? If I did not know I would think this is light novel adaptation so far and that kind of exposition taking up an entire episode just does not make for a good tv. Its too much of telling and enough of showing.

Recreators mainly for me is a show I watch to see things explode because that is what Sawano's OST is best at and what Aoi Eir manages to deliver lately even in the dreadful mess that was Aldnoah Zero. And the set up promises some decent explosions to Sawano music. Yet in this episode there was a strong absence of things exploding.

Maybe Aoki Ei+Sawano won't ever top their "I SAY CRY" moment from Aldnoah but the set up still hints at outrageously huge battles.

Its not a show I expect to see a whole episode of discussions about meta stuff - the script-writing and cinematography are simply not there to deliver that. It IS however show that I hope will deliver decent fights going forward. Right now we have three episodes of the same premise being reiterated over and over again, so hopefully we are done with that and can move on to the very obvious realization that MC is the white haired chick's Masterauthor and start the actual fights.

I want to see a mahou shoujo fight a mecha while Sawano track sings to the scene in overblown engrish.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 2017-04-23 at 11:11.
Old 2017-04-23, 07:38   Link #490
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
I like good exposition done well, but this frankly was neither. IT pretty much retreaded the same grounds of the things that already were covered or did not need to be covered(the whole "what if she is from future work is already obvious from the main set-up). Not to mention that the problem here is that the exposition is so typically...light novel-ish? If I did not know I would think this is light novel adaptation so far and that kind of exposition taking up an entire episode just does not make for a good tv.
Hmm, sorry, but I don't agree and also I can't see the reasoning. I may not be extremely versed in creative writing and screenplays, however, I can discern when arguments are reiterated or the pace suffers. I don't see this happening in the last episode (by contrast, to make a not-that-correct comparison, the second episode of Danmachi gaiden suffered a lot from pacing issues, and had far less dialogue). Also I've seen older anime were exposition is done in similar ways (see: Boogiepop Phantom).

And what does "light novelish" exposition mean? I think the exposition was sufficiently believable, had decent grounds and didn't feel they were trying to pad, considering it's a work of fiction and nothing of it would ever make sense in the first place - hence I'm not using the term "realistic".
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 07:44   Link #491
Hmm....

I got to agree that both OST and OP in this series is sooo Alnoah Zero. It may come from the same studio but did they think they were working on AZ sequel or something ? lol

I don't think Sawano is stagnating though. His work for some other studio is still different enough. Perhaps, the issue lie with the taste of director ? Or what they expect out of a composer ? Yeah, getting typecasted by the studio he is working with is not a wrong term, I guess. Or may be it is him typecasting the studio he's working with ? I don't know.

I actually don't mind Souta to be useless though. He is supposed to fall under generic&useless MC archetype. He is already among the less annoying one for me. And he is well aware of his position at that. I sincerely hope he stay true to his word and stay narrator/bystander to the very end. The only thing I'm allowing him to do is him end up being a creator of all this Re:creator thing by the end of the series.

If watching things explode is the only thing you want from Re:creator, you might have a tough time ahead. I have a feeling that they will touch upon this subject again several more time. Either it is from other characters's PoV. Or when they got new piece of information. As of now, these are all simply their own speculation after all. They are bound to change in the future.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 07:48   Link #492
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
And what does "light novelish" exposition mean? I think the exposition was sufficiently believable, had decent grounds and didn't feel they were trying to pad, considering it's a work of fiction and nothing of it would ever make sense in the first place - hence I'm not using the term "realistic".
Let's just put it like this: The exposition scene of three characters walking in circles in the pilot episode of Fate Zero? Drag that out into 3 episodes and you have ReCreators right now.

The exposition so far is the definition of purple prose - it is overblown for sake of being overblown. Technobabble, LN-high-concept over-explaining of mechanics, speculation about all of that, etc. There's a lot of telling and not much of showing and you need a damn good cinematography to pull off long scenes of characters just talking(ex: Monogatari does it damn well). And this show simply does not pull that off well? Especially when its clustered into a nonstop whole episode of it.

Nevertheless so far we had three episodes of literally over-explaining the setting and that is just not what I expect from this show. These are not the characters I want to see talk for a whole episode. This is not a premise I want to see characters talking in the first place. Its a show about a bunch of superpowered literary characters fighting it out in a present day city. Its Aoki Ei and Hiroyuki Sawano running such a show. Its like if someone filmed Die Hard 6 and the whole movie was Bruce Willis talking with someone...

Hopefully we can get on with actual fights now because at least I am watching this exactly for that as this is my "turn off the brain, look at the screen and relax" kind of show of the season.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 2017-04-23 at 11:11.
Old 2017-04-23, 07:50   Link #493
Applehell

Wow, this thread moved really fast since I last looked in here. Much faster than any show being watched on this forum at any rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Sota mentioned he got a letter from his sister. Maybe it is her?
Oh, I must have missed that line. If true, I agree with this poat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The suicide girl is Setsuna and she's probably the creator of MUP.
Taking this a step further I think MUP was perhaps conceptual created by Sota, but he kind of gave up or scrapped her for some reason early on. Setsuna was the one to actually finish it, possibly because like it. It's still hard see how this ties into her death though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Is it just me or is Sawano Hiroyuki's really stagnating?The OST of this series is just a complete rehash of his old work.Not only that,in my opinion,it's feels awkward and out of sync with the atmosphere of the series?
Just now? He's been like this for awhile now. Still one can't deny he's well suited for bombastic high concept shows like this.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 08:02   Link #494
RDNexus

Quote:
Let's just put it like this: The exposition scene of three characters walking in circles in the pilot episode of Fate Zero? Drag that out into 3 episodes and you have ReCreators right now.

The exposition so far is the definition of purple prose - it is overblown for sake of being overblown. Technobabble, LN-high-concept over-explaining of mechanics, speculation about all of that, etc. There's a lot of telling and not much of showing and you need a damn good cinematography to pull off long scenes of characters just talking(ex: Monogatari does it damn well). And this show simply does not pull that off well? Especially when its clustered into a nonstop whole episode of it.

Nevertheless so far we had three episodes of literally over-explaining the setting and that is just not what I expect from this show. These are not the characters I want to see talk for a whole episode. This is not a premise I want to see characters talking in the first place. Its a show about a bunch of superpowered literary characters fighting it out in a present day city. Its Aoi Eir and Hiroyuki Sawano running such a show. Its like if someone filmed Die Hard 6 and the whole movie was Bruce Willis talking with someone...

Hopefully we can get on with actual fights now because at least I am watching this exactly for that as this is my "turn off the brain, look at the screen and relax" kind of show of the season.
I think it'd be better for you to drop this story right now. If the series were to turn into what you were expecting, then I'd have been the one to drop it.
Thankfully, that's not being the case
Old 2017-04-23, 08:10   Link #495
Hmm....

Don't be so sure. We have a lesson called Alnoah Zero to learn from
Let's just hope their writer doesn't quit half-way this time around.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 08:12   Link #496
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Episode 3

Sawano+Aoi Eir work well when there are outrageously overblown crazy things happening in my screen to the beat of Sawano-style OST vocals. And this had none of that. At this point I'd already take the out-of-the-loop-with-modern-world harem set up the show already had in first episode over whatever was this episode. Hopefully next episode is better. Just have them fight already!!
Aoi Eir is in this? I thought she went on long hiatus due to illness?
Old 2017-04-23, 08:21   Link #497
xSauriaNx
The Tribe King's Ride

Dude... you can't just always dive right down to fights... especially with a show like this where "worlds collide and creates some sort of confusion". Animes that I've seen to do so quite get either boring or just simply give me the feeling of being left hanging.

This show reminds me the start of /Extra. I endured quite long before I can play the game but I did enjoy the whole start.

Also, the "Creation" characters needs to give exposition or some sort. We can't just have another damn Chou Hero Taisen where everyone just keeps appearing for no reason in fights. It gets really confusing... Okay... that might be an over-stretch to things... xD

Point is, the anime have time for it, so why not let it do it? 22 Episodes is damn good enough for an original anime like this. I'm looking at Punch Line and Concrete Revolutio (I just finished season 1 for this). Those two have taken time to do exposition stuff and it was great but those shows felt good to watch on how they did the story.

I'd rather drop this if this was like more leaning to action than story when the show itself implies that it leans more to the story.

Every step I make signals the arrival of my KING!
xSauriaNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 08:27   Link #498
nicky.
animesuki

Yeah, Apple, this thread sure is moving fast. Nearly a couple pages every few hours. lol
I must have underestimated how popular this amine is.
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 08:41   Link #499
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Wow, this thread moved really fast since I last looked in here. Much faster than any show being watched on this forum at any rate

Oh, I must have missed that line. If true, I agree with this poat:

Taking this a step further I think MUP was perhaps conceptual created by Sota, but he kind of gave up or scrapped her for some reason early on. Setsuna was the one to actually finish it, possibly because like it. It's still hard see how this ties into her death though.

Just now? He's been like this for awhile now. Still one can't deny he's well suited for bombastic high concept shows like this.
I did notice he was doing it for a while,but this time,it was much more profound.I disagree with your notion that he's suited for this show.If anything,the music sounds totally wrong/out of sync with the story.The story doesn't seem bombastic or drastic enough to warrant Kabaneri/Shingeki no kyojin style of music.For the most part,the story isn't dark or serious.In fact,a lot of it right now is pretty relaxing.Even the fights didn't carry that much meaning behind them.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 08:55   Link #500
xSauriaNx
The Tribe King's Ride

I do agree with the music feeling out of place somehow but it still rocks so I just deal with it... xD

I'm just making a hypothesis of Souta being the narrator of Himegimi's story while Setsuna did create her world. I'm sure did Himegimi liked the two but swore her loyalty to Setsuna.

Or possibly, the opposite. If I do try to analyze what Souta said in episode 1 like a dork, Setsuna might have been the "Narrator" and Souta was the creator. But that also don't fit quite well since if he did create the world of Himegimi, how come he doesn't remember her... probably since she might be a long time creation and he kind of forget it, maybe?

At the end of episode 3 though, when Souta tries to draw again. He gives me the vibe of being lost in trance when drawing. He seriously gave that vibe on that part.

Every step I make signals the arrival of my KING!
xSauriaNx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, mahou shoujo, mecha, sci-fi, summoning