AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-03, 21:27   Link #21
Aquillion

You might try Kaiba for something coming out now. It's a show about a world where memories can be turned into data and easily transferred to new bodies. Don't let the art style fool you; it can be very dark and serious at times.
Old 2008-06-03, 21:41   Link #22
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

This thread has died not once, but twice. Hopefully we can let it die a third time unless someone comes by promulgating that they would like more similar recommendations.
And while I'm here: gawd, Death Note is not psychological.
Old 2008-06-03, 21:54   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, before we consign this thread to the dustbin of history, may I mention Ghost Hound, an intriguing mix of brain science, psychology and mysticism in a beautifully-illustrated package.
Old 2008-06-04, 20:36   Link #24
Happy_Chip

Kogepan!

Kogepan!

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/297.html

an anime about burned bread

Yes, it's psychological IMO.

Spoiler for details:

Note that I'm assuming that 'psychological' means 'main character(s) are mixed up in the head with psychological issues' and that this is a main element in the story ...

Last edited by Happy_Chip; 2008-06-04 at 20:37. Reason: added comment
Old 2008-06-04, 21:43   Link #25
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Chip View Post
Note that I'm assuming that 'psychological' means 'main character(s) are mixed up in the head with psychological issues' and that this is a main element in the story ...
Eh, I personally view "psychological" as something that invokes some kind of thought from the viewer him/herself, not the characters within the series (wouldn't anime with indecisive harem/love triangle leads be considered "Psychological" then?). Most people view it moreso as anything told in first person or third person omniscient with a particular focus on characters' thoughts, where stuff like Death Note, Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu,or Code Geass would fit.

And hey, why are we discussing this in a thread that should be dying?
Old 2008-06-07, 10:56   Link #26
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

not sure what you meant by psychological but here's what I posted in another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarugaki View Post
If you analyze Neon Genesis Evangelion ( google/wikipedia ) and then watch it or rewatch it, you can understand what the author really meant and learn about social interactions, how to deal with fear of rejection, or fear of being hurt by others' rejection, break out of your shell and enjoy life more if you're the depressed/too introverted/shy type
Old 2008-06-07, 16:00   Link #27
Rika_Chama

since someone mentioned jigoku shoujo futakomori id also recommend the first season jigoku shoujo
for manga theres
Shiki - i guess at first it reminds u of higurashi no naku koro ni till later
The Hour of The Mice
Liar Game
Doubt
Mirai Nikki

gunslinger girl - seeing some other recommendations i guess this can pass of as psychological cause theres some deep thinking and its sci-fi
Umineko no naku koro ni - same author as higurashi no naku koro ni
and some works by yuki kaori
Count Cain
God Child
Fairy Cube
Angel Sanctuary
and thats all i can think of for now
EDIT: um are we not suppose to post in dead threads?
Old 2008-06-08, 00:03   Link #28
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika_Chama View Post
EDIT: um are we not suppose to post in dead threads?
The whole point of the suggestions forum is to give help to people looking for new anime to watch based on their preferences/questions.
I highly doubt that people check their old threads from 2 years ago to look for more recommendations.
Old 2008-06-08, 00:20   Link #29
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This particular thread has lasted quite a while now because it's been the primary locus of discussion for "psychological" anime however you may define it. I'd prefer to see some Suggestions threads live on with additional updates as new shows appear. I agree that responding directly to an OP from years ago doesn't make sense, but some Suggestions threads are more conversations among a number of us rather than simply a response to an OP. Also Rika_Chama provided a nice list of manga which aren't as commonly suggested as anime. (I know very little of manga myself.) I don't see any particular reason this thread should die; in fact I hope that a select array of Suggestions threads survive and grow for a long while.
Old 2008-06-08, 00:33   Link #30
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This particular thread has lasted quite a while now because it's been the primary locus of discussion for "psychological" anime however you may define it. I'd prefer to see some Suggestions threads live on with additional updates as new shows appear. I agree that responding directly to an OP from years ago doesn't make sense, but some Suggestions threads are more conversations among a number of us rather than simply a response to an OP. Also Rika_Chama provided a nice list of manga which aren't as commonly suggested as anime. (I know very little of manga myself.) I don't see any particular reason this thread should die; in fact I hope that a select array of Suggestions threads survive and grow for a long while.
Several suggestion threads are used moreso as discussions pertaining to a certain topic than actual suggestions to the OP (I'm reminded about one thread searching for a mystery anime in recent memory).
While bringing back old threads for discussion (or continuing it) or posting in an old thread to search for new similar suggestions (there was a thread not long ago that had been revived and put to good use thrice) is not useless, replying to an OP of 2006 is.
Old 2008-06-08, 14:15   Link #31
Rika_Chama

XD i just realized i posted on a suggestion thread thats 2 years old
i clicked and posted here cause i saw it on the recent post thing and i was looking for some psychological anime/manga. dont some people check the suggetions cause theyre too lazy to make a thread or dont know exactly what theyre looking for?
i also realized ive been assuming horror+mystery = psychological
heres another manga : Goth
and an anime movie: Kara no Kyoukai - its a series of 7 movies based on light novel but only the first one out in dvd
Old 2008-06-08, 14:52   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika_Chama View Post
i also realized ive been assuming horror+mystery = psychological
Sometimes they come together as in Paranoia Agent or Boogiepop Phantom, but there's a whole other class of "psychological" anime like NHK ni Youkoso or Ghost Hound where, as Happy_Chip points out, the characters have real psychological problems. NHK deals with, to name just a few, extreme paranoia, drug abuse, parasitism, stalking, and suicide. In Ghost Hound the main protagonist is seeing a school psychiatrist for issues arising from the death of his sister. Ghost Hound has some elements of a mystery but there's a lot of attention to psychology, brain science, and mysticism as well. NHK has no mysteries except perhaps why the characters became the people they are and whether they have any hope for the future.

Monster remains at the top of my list in the horror/mystery/psychological category. I agree completely with this assessment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
There's a lot of psychology behind various characters in Monster, though I found it a bit hit and miss as far as believability goes. Absolutely amazing series too if you can stand the length and complexity, it's one of my favourites. Deep characterization and atmosphere at every turn.
Old 2008-06-08, 16:04   Link #33
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Kaiji

mts
Old 2008-06-08, 16:25   Link #34
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Sometimes they come together as in Paranoia Agent or Boogiepop Phantom, but there's a whole other class of "psychological" anime like NHK ni Youkoso or Ghost Hound where, as Happy_Chip points out, the characters have real psychological problems. NHK deals with, to name just a few, extreme paranoia, drug abuse, parasitism, stalking, and suicide. In Ghost Hound the main protagonist is seeing a school psychiatrist for issues arising from the death of his sister. Ghost Hound has some elements of a mystery but there's a lot of attention to psychology, brain science, and mysticism as well. NHK has no mysteries except perhaps why the characters became the people they are and whether they have any hope for the future.
And pedophilia!

Since this thread refuses to die, let's start a discussion:
As we've noticed it's so completely subjective, what do you guys consider to be a "psychological anime"?

As I've said, I personally see it as a series that invokes thought from the viewer, though it very often has something to do with certain shortcomings or disorders within characters.
Old 2008-06-08, 19:53   Link #35
Rika_Chama

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
And pedophilia!

Since this thread refuses to die, let's start a discussion:
As we've noticed it's so completely subjective, what do you guys consider to be a "psychological anime"?

As I've said, I personally see it as a series that invokes thought from the viewer, though it very often has something to do with certain shortcomings or disorders within characters.
i consider stuff with lots of deep thinking to be considered psychological anime and horror+mystery does cause alot of deep thinking and stuff with intricate plots
also i dont really know how to explain it or maybe its just intricate plot but stuff like mirai nikki, death note, liar game and code geass i think are psychological
also stuff that has alot of deep thinking conversations and philosophical (i think im using the right word) stuff like ghost hound and kara no kyoukai
Old 2008-06-10, 09:22   Link #36
Meirin
Locked Girl

I'm surprised that 20th Century Boys and Pluto hasn't been mentioned yet. They fall under psychological/mystery and are both by the mangaka of Monster and Yawara!

My other suggestions are Dennou Coil (anime), Bokurano, The Hour of The Mice, Parasyte, Alive, Liar Game, Kaiji and Jisatsu Circle.
Old 2008-06-11, 14:10   Link #37
Rika_Chama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meirin View Post
I'm surprised that 20th Century Boys and Pluto hasn't been mentioned yet. They fall under psychological/mystery and are both by the mangaka of Monster and Yawara!

My other suggestions are Dennou Coil (anime), Bokurano, The Hour of The Mice, Parasyte, Alive, Liar Game, Kaiji and Jisatsu Circle.
XD i cant believe i forgot jisatsu circle
Closed Thread

Tags
psychological