AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-28, 15:48   Link #1
Somnus
Eh?

Lock On!

It's a new series that just started, had a One Shot in 2009.

This is from MangaHelpers
Quote:
Utsuru Sanada is a professional photographer at the age of 17, he can guess the exact 3 sizes of any girl, he can memorize anything he sees, and he can counterattack karate moves (Most guys would want these abilities). Why? Because he has superb photographic memory called “Shutter Eye” (Shutter as in the shutter of a camera). He meets Niko Kurihara, the female protagonist, who dislikes men, is a master of martial arts, and is of course beautiful. Utsuru attempts to prove to Niko that he is not the guy she thinks he so he can take a picture of her. He starts by investigating Niko’s friend’s date, who appears to be a deceiving guy according to rumors……
Genres: Action, Comedy, Martial Arts, School Life, Shounen

Is anyone else reading this, and enjoying it as much as I am?

There's only two chapters out right now. They're good, but if you want to full impact read the one-shot...after that I became addicted. The main characters are awesome, and it had me laughing quite a bit. There's always that much needed potential for romance too, which is always a great way to draw me in!
Old 2010-02-28, 15:55   Link #2
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Really enjoyed the first two chapters and it's the first WSJ manga I've been excited about in a long time. Well, I was for Medaka Box, but my dreams were squashed with that after a slew of chapters and no story or character development.

This has potential, though. Hope it doesn't let me down.
Old 2010-02-28, 16:18   Link #3
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Generic series that brings nothing new to the table. Main character is a typical pervert and his special ability is an eye power. Generic eye power in a magazine that has a manga with the Sharingan, Mukurou's haxxed eye power of six realms, Coco's eye power that can see across the electromagnetic spectrum, and 2 characters in a basketball manga that have eyes like a hawk or whatever and his eye power is suppose to set him apart from the other characters? It is more or less a grab bag of everything else it is serialized with. *yawn*

And of course there just has to be another tsundere. Oh, and she happens to do Karate too which helps her to beat on the main character. I can feel the originality oozing out of this one. -_____-

If there is romance, it doesn't feel like it would be anything all that engaging considering the two main characters that are involved.

The art isn't anything special and that doesn't really help if it ends up trying to go into the more blatant fanservice route like To Love Ru.

Ok, that was blunt. I'll be honest and say I won't be surprised if this one gets killed fairly early on considering this is WSJ. However, if it can rise above the mediocre and generic 2 chapters I've read so far and actually show me more I'll change my opinion of it.
Old 2010-02-28, 16:27   Link #4
Lummie

@Jetstorm

My thoughts exactly. It's plain, simple and the dialogue between students feels so... recognizable. It's as if i've encounterd the situation, where a problem occurs between a tsundere and pervert, for the 10th time. I honestly don't see any potential (yet) in this manga.
Old 2010-02-28, 17:04   Link #5
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
@Jetstorm

My thoughts exactly. It's plain, simple and the dialogue between students feels so... recognizable. It's as if i've encounterd the situation, where a problem occurs between a tsundere and pervert, for the 10th time. I honestly don't see any potential (yet) in this manga.
I'm used to bland manga. I mean, I followed the likes of Lilim Kiss and Kagijin all the way to the end. But at a time period when your competition has more original concepts going for it and are executed better, being unoriginal isn't something that you can afford to start off with.

Chapters 3-5 are going to have to blow me away. We need something to happen that adds more depth to the main characters or introduce some unique new ones. At least something because the first 2 chapters felt like I was reading a textbook on how to write unremarkable shounen.
Old 2010-02-28, 17:17   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It pains me to see that Ane Doki was replaced by...this.
Old 2010-02-28, 19:17   Link #7
Iron Maw
Banned

To be fair Ane-Doki is hardly original either, in fact it's strongest point was the art.
Old 2010-02-28, 22:57   Link #8
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
To be fair Ane-Doki is hardly original either, in fact it's strongest point was the art.
Pains me that Hatsukoi Limited was replaced by Ane-Doki =/
Old 2010-03-01, 11:54   Link #9
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, the second chapter wasn't horrible. This series is a definitely a good fit for WSJ though. You can have plenty of chapters with zero progress in the over all plot and no one will care.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-03-01 at 14:46. Reason: was -> wasn't
Old 2010-03-01, 14:25   Link #10
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Pains me that Hatsukoi Limited was replaced by Ane-Doki =/
I really do agree. Ane-Doki stopped being interesting for me when the other sister came into the mix. Hatsukoi Limited entertained me all the way to the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, the second chapter was horrible. This series is a definitely a good fit for WSJ though. You can have plenty of chapters with zero progress in the over all plot and no one will care.
Not when nothing else stands out for this series. At least other WSJ series have concepts and characters(ok, some much better than others) that separates them from the other stuff it is serialized with. Almost nothing here stands out.

Lock On! was on to something with the photography angle but it gets ruined when the pictures are only about women and the main character being an annoying pervert about it.

I'll admit it could get more interesting if it goes into more detail about the women he helped turn into idols but I get the feeling that storyline may get held back for a while. As of now, this guy constantly trying to take pictures of the unoriginal tsundere is boring.
Old 2010-03-01, 14:48   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I meant it wasn't horrible. I think I was interrupted midway when I wrote that reply, haha.

But yeah, this is generic. It's just like Tonagura, but Tonagura has other funny plot lines going on, this one has his photographic memory and the surprisingly little ecchi.
Old 2010-03-01, 15:32   Link #12
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

yes I agree this one's pretty generic but I'll follow it for some time, see how it develops - some of the most acclaimed series were/are far from fresh or innovative but just perfected the generic ingredients, I'd say around chapter 10 or earlier we'll see how it fares in this department, at least when it comes to wsj with a little of typical shonen action it is less likely to get shafted than the best pure romance series there could be... ok I'm being sarcastic here
Old 2010-03-01, 22:35   Link #13
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Strange manga is strange. Keeping expectations low.
Old 2010-03-01, 23:09   Link #14
wingman32x

Nothing new. Same info told in a different way. The real series starts next week for me. I personally like the oneshot's explanation better. I did like seeing it used in that rock paper scisors game, though.
Old 2010-03-01, 23:57   Link #15
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Is it just me, or have the new series in WSJ really started to suck at the end of 2009/beginning of 2010? Be prepared for a bunch of series to go in and then out within the next couple years, I'd say

but I do have to admit, ecchi+ tsundere might just be right up my alley

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2010-03-02, 00:48   Link #16
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
It's not just you, the last few new manga in SJ have been pretty average, or even subpar. And that includes Medaka Box.
Old 2010-03-02, 04:06   Link #17
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It pains me to see that Ane Doki was replaced by...this.
Hunter X Hunter is what took over for Ane Doki... and it won't be the last series it kills off since it goes on constant hiatus'
Old 2010-03-13, 12:28   Link #18
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Chapter 3 was actually... entertaining in my opinion.

The main character's lack of shame (( and how proud he is of it )) is starting to endear me a little. Overall, I'd say Lock On! still lacks a charisma to its presentation, be it the art, characters, story or atmosphere, but it has some potential. A little bit.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2010-03-13, 12:57   Link #19
TrueKnight

I concur that chapter 3 is actually entertaining. Hell its funny to see the main guy slapped the teacher in order to man up with the exchange of him willing to be expelled, and seems like the teacher is also quite likeable, good and an honest guy, not some jerk as most story of the same genre like to portray. Whats even funny is that he offered himself to be the club's advisor lol. Looking forward to see how it'll end.
Old 2010-03-15, 13:36   Link #20
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Okay I will admit that I laughed. It was entertaining.

I still miss my Natsuki & Kaede though.