AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-03-22, 13:46   Link #141
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Wow >.< the cover of volume 4 is so moe >.<
You're right as always --- its scenes like that i'm hoping shall appear in the series. :3
Old 2007-03-22, 13:48   Link #142
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You're right as always --- its scenes like that i'm hoping shall appear in the series. :3
With 24 episodes these type of scenes will surely appear >.< and with the combination of KyoAni's animation quality, the moe-ness of these scenes will be uncomparable to any other anime

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-03-22 at 14:00. Reason: >.<
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 15:44   Link #143
FireChick

24 eps! Cool! Just like Kanon!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 15:53   Link #144
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

It must be a rule that any slice-of-life anime about girls has a character that doesn't look even remotely fat but thinks she's overweight anyway...in Lucky Star looks like it's Kagami. Is going on a diet moe?
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 16:10   Link #145
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It may be "realistic" but its actually kind of sad (aka the girl in Hidamari Sketch who isn't remotely plump) rather than funny. I guess its tragic humor because usually they have "diet girl" trapped right next to "hummingbird metabolism girl". Lots of arghhhh!!!!!!!!
Old 2007-03-22, 16:11   Link #146
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
With 24 episodes these type of scenes will surely appear >.< and with the combination of KyoAni's animation quality, the moe-ness of these scenes will be uncomparable to any other anime
Have to admit originally i thought that 24 episodes might be to much --- though with the level of moe this show is going to bring, i'm happy to know that its going to last a good length of time. I can already just imagine what kind of OP & ED this one shall have. :3
Old 2007-03-22, 16:16   Link #147
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
There are now strong indications (including the ad poster below) that this will be a "2 kuur" (i.e., two season, or 24-episode) anime. This seems like a bad idea for an anime of this kind.
Uhm, AzuDai was made into a 2 kuur, too, and hell that didn't made it bad at all. I could even ask for more episodes

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 18:47   Link #148
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't know if this has been posted here before, but there is an English advertising poster for the anime. I guess it's genuine.
It's genuine. These flyers were available at the Tokyo Anime Fair at the Kadokawa booth which began yesterday. I got one myself.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 21:29   Link #149
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

To the people who keep rambling about KyoAni needed to script their own script...

1) This is NOT the first time KyoAni is doing a humour series. I am sick and tired of people who keep spouting ignorant NONSENSE. If you want to be snide/condescending about a company, make sure you are pointing the barrel the right way, lest you make a fool out of yourself (unless of course, making a fool of yourself IS your objective).

2) KyoAni has made original material before. No, I am NOT going to tell you what. Go do your damn research and find out for yourself.

3) If fact, this will not be the first time KyoAni is doing a humour series semi-based on original material. They have proven themselves to be capable of fleshing out the source material with their OWN material.

4) If you want to condemn a company for sticking to the plot 100%, go harass Madhouse's adaptations first before KyoAni. KyoAni has never been one to not modify the script when necessary.

5) SHnY is NOT the first series KyoAni made, it is not even the third that they have made. If you keep referencing to SHnY in your arguments haphazardly, you are going to do yourself a lot of discredit, because SHnY was not what made KyoAni so well-loved in the first place.
~~~~ ~~~~

Maybe Lucky Star will bomb big time. Maybe it will equal AzuDaioh (I hesitate to say exceed because I really, really love AzuDaioh). We can't really tell until the episodes start airing.

Given KyoAni's track record however, and their "notoriety" for comic-timing, Lucky Star should be in good hands.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-22, 22:06   Link #150
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
To the people who keep rambling about KyoAni needed to script their own script...

1) This is NOT the first time KyoAni is doing a humour series. I am sick and tired of people who keep spouting ignorant NONSENSE. If you want to be snide/condescending about a company, make sure you are pointing the barrel the right way, lest you make a fool out of yourself (unless of course, making a fool of yourself IS your objective).

2) KyoAni has made original material before. No, I am NOT going to tell you what. Go do your damn research and find out for yourself.

I just came into the thread so I hope this vitriol is not directed at me.

Nonetheless, I don't know what original material Kyoto Animation has produced in recent memory. Since this is a forum I expect that you may be willing to share your ideas and fruits of your research with me.

Fumoffu was not original material, so I suppose you might be referring to series before that. I'm not aware that Kyoto Animation has produced any 100% original material before Fumoffu.

EDIT: ANN lists "Munto (2003)" as originally produced by KyoAni. I can't say I've ever heard of this OVA, nor seen it referenced in any posts on Animesuki since I joined (Nov 2003). Given that directors and animation teams come and go- the director for Munto hasn't done anything since then- it's probably a good bet that none of the current KyoAni teams have worked on any completely original material.

I've read the current three volumes of Lucky Star, and there's no way KyoAni can make an anime series without their own input.

That said, Kyoto Animation needs to prove they can produce a 12/24 episode series based on their own original intellectual property. Munto was an OAV. I want to see something along the lines of BONES's Ayakashi or Rahxephon.
Old 2007-03-22, 22:50   Link #151
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
It must be a rule that any slice-of-life anime about girls has a character that doesn't look even remotely fat but thinks she's overweight anyway...in Lucky Star looks like it's Kagami. Is going on a diet moe?
Hahaha anime girls being fat, that's too funny. Plumpness is reserved for older and by that I mean much older female characters usually. You know the jolly and wise older woman who usually pops up to give advice to somebody and is very kind to everyone who comes her way. It's almost a rule that females in anime are by default perfect bodywise by the authors definition of perfection. Slim and big busted for the older girls with provactive clothing, or very slim and flat chested for younger loli girls also with the possibility of provactive clothing or Gothic Lolita. Anyway thats my two cents, its appealing to the eyes, but about as realistically achievable as the rail-thin supermodel look is.

I'm hoping Kyoto doesn't try to bury me with moe again, every time somebody suggests a Moe overdose I cry a little, I can really only take so much and the market is more than a bit saturated with it right now. Comedy is perfect though as I've been short on the laughs lately and The Daily Show has been my saviour over the past 6 or so months. Funny Moe rather than Moe for the sake of Moe would be very uplifting right now AND in reasonable and restrained doses. My impression was that this was supposed to be a clever and witty look at otaku girls wasting their time doing things like playing games and chilling out, trying to make it through school life and then growing up. If this turns out to be another Manabi Straight I can't say I'll be finishing it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 23:51   Link #152
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
EDIT: ANN lists "Munto (2003)" as originally produced by KyoAni. I can't say I've ever heard of this OVA, nor seen it referenced in any posts on Animesuki since I joined (Nov 2003). Given that directors and animation teams come and go- the director for Munto hasn't done anything since then- it's probably a good bet that none of the current KyoAni teams have worked on any completely original material.

I've read the current three volumes of Lucky Star, and there's no way KyoAni can make an anime series without their own input.

That said, Kyoto Animation needs to prove they can produce a 12/24 episode series based on their own original intellectual property. Munto was an OAV. I want to see something along the lines of BONES's Ayakashi or Rahxephon.
I'm pretty sure there was a sequel to Munto with the same director a year or two ago. I've seen references to both on AnimeSuki. I've only seen reference to Munto 2's pending release, however, although I do think it was.

I'm not sure if Kyoto Animation has to prove it can do a full series based on their own, original intellectual property. I just don't see why. For almost the entire history of moving pictures, adaptations have been considered entirely valid works of art. Many of the world's great directors made their reputations with adaptations. Many of the world's great films are adaptations. If there isn't a stigma in live action filmmaking -- even high-minded, "serious" filmmaking -- I don't see why there should be in a popular, genre-oriented medium like anime.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 00:57   Link #153
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
I'm pretty sure there was a sequel to Munto with the same director a year or two ago. I've seen references to both on AnimeSuki. I've only seen reference to Munto 2's pending release, however, although I do think it was.
Yep, Munto 2 came out in 2005 I think, two years after the first Munto. I have both on region 1 DVD--Munto 2 ends on a cliffhanger so it's pretty much a given there'll be a Munto 3 somewhere down the road. I like the storyline and characters in Munto overall, although there are definitely times it felt like they were trying to cram too much into too short a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Hahaha anime girls being fat, that's too funny. Plumpness is reserved for older and by that I mean much older female characters usually. You know the jolly and wise older woman who usually pops up to give advice to somebody and is very kind to everyone who comes her way. It's almost a rule that females in anime are by default perfect bodywise by the authors definition of perfection. Slim and big busted for the older girls with provactive clothing, or very slim and flat chested for younger loli girls also with the possibility of provactive clothing or Gothic Lolita. Anyway thats my two cents, its appealing to the eyes, but about as realistically achievable as the rail-thin supermodel look is.

I'm hoping Kyoto doesn't try to bury me with moe again, every time somebody suggests a Moe overdose I cry a little, I can really only take so much and the market is more than a bit saturated with it right now. Comedy is perfect though as I've been short on the laughs lately and The Daily Show has been my saviour over the past 6 or so months. Funny Moe rather than Moe for the sake of Moe would be very uplifting right now AND in reasonable and restrained doses. My impression was that this was supposed to be a clever and witty look at otaku girls wasting their time doing things like playing games and chilling out, trying to make it through school life and then growing up. If this turns out to be another Manabi Straight I can't say I'll be finishing it.
I'm looking forward to it, as long as it's funny I'll be happy--I loved Fumoffu, so I'm confident Kyoani can pull off comedy well. Haven't read any of the Lucky Star manga, but from what I've read in this thread I'm hoping it'll be good.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:03   Link #154
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Yep, Munto 2 came out in 2005 I think, two years after the first Munto. I have both on region 1 DVD--Munto 2 ends on a cliffhanger so it's pretty much a given there'll be a Munto 3 somewhere down the road. I like the storyline and characters in Munto overall, although there are definitely times it felt like they were trying to cram too much into too short a series.

I'm looking forward to it, as long as it's funny I'll be happy--I loved Fumoffu, so I'm confident Kyoani can pull off comedy well. Haven't read any of the Lucky Star manga, but from what I've read in this thread I'm hoping it'll be good.
The manga is like reading a joke everybody is in on but you. That's basically how 4-Koma breaks down though, a lot of it deals with in jokes, you either don't get it and are confused, or you get it and its unbelievably gut-bustingly funny because of how true and yet absurd the joke is. I'm liking the idea that a lot of it will be based on games an such, and Konata Izumi reminds me a bit of myself, wasting time playing games 24/7, but still getting solid grades in school due to innate perceptivety. You wouldn't believe how much you could learn in a 1 and a half hour lecture by starring at the wall and fiddling around with your pen instead of taking notes and missing something the teacher says when you go to double check what you've written. I do it all the time at University.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:04   Link #155
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Weta Studio must suck as a movie studio then. LotR trilogy(Based on book!), King Kong (a remake!) and now Halo (based on book!).

When will Weta make anything original?
They are just not good enough if they just copy other people!!!!
Old 2007-03-24, 17:52   Link #156
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Weta Studio must suck as a movie studio then. LotR trilogy(Based on book!), King Kong (a remake!) and now Halo (based on book!).

When will Weta make anything original?
They are just not good enough if they just copy other people!!!!

There's quite a big difference between small animation studios and movie studios with enormous budgets, don't you think?

The market is also quite different for anime and Hollywood, not to mention the business structure and audience.

You simply can't compare the two like that. Many of the biggest hits in anime have largely been original material -- Evangelion being a prime example, Geass and Gundam another. These franchises started out as anime.

Contrast that with the biggest blockbusters in Hollywood? Lord of the Rings, as you said; all the superhero movies, Gone with the Wind... very few are totally original like Crash.
Old 2007-03-24, 19:07   Link #157
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

It's just as hard to do a faithful adaptation of a superb work as it is to do a superb original work. Plenty of reasons have been given in the past. I don't know why people here have such a hangup of Kyoani not doing original work. Yeeesh. Get over it.
Old 2007-03-24, 19:09   Link #158
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
There's quite a big difference between small animation studios and movie studios with enormous budgets, don't you think?
It also costs magnitudes more to make a blockbuster movie than it does to make an animated series that runs only on obscure TV channels. (None of the shows here on animesuki are mainstream)
Old 2007-03-24, 19:14   Link #159
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
It also costs magnitudes more to make a blockbuster movie than it does to make an animated series that runs only on obscure TV channels. (None of the shows here on animesuki are mainstream)
But to me they are 4 times better than mainstream entertainment

I more or less stopped watching local tv except for news (which is probably heavily censored) and don't go to movies unless my friends want to. Non-mainstream anime is superior

I've read the 1st 3 manga episodes of Raki Suta and can't wait to hear Hirano Aya voice teh female Otaku ^^
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 19:22   Link #160
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Well, they are kinda all otakus. Since most of the girls' hobbies are mostly otakuish, one plays visual novels, another read light novels, etc...
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen