AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-21, 23:07   Link #6961
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Correct, during Vanilla you needed quite alot of Fire Resistance in order to survive Nefarian's constant beating on you with flame breaths. Especially in a more fire-based fight like Ragnaros, or Onyxia. There was also the major frost resistance needed for Sapphiron which seems to have been tweaked down quite alot when he was reintroduced in Wotlk, so resistance is no longer needed after Wotlk was released.

During BC, resistance was a minor requirement sometimes, but it was major during fights like Illidan Stormrage where if you choose to have a warlock tank during his demon phase to soak up the damage with all the resistance armor on.
'
You didn't need a lock for that, my guild used a ele shaman actually but you needed two tanks with fire resist gear for the fire eles in phase 2. That was a fun fight to learn, though once you got past phase 2 with no deaths it was pretty much almost a win.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 23:09   Link #6962
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
'
You didn't need a lock for that, my guild used a ele shaman actually but you needed two tanks with fire resist gear for the fire eles in phase 2. That was a fun fight to learn, though once you got past phase 2 with no deaths it was pretty much almost a win.
Well there are many ways to fight him. But the safest for us was to get a warlock decked out in resistance gear that can soak up his demon form damage as much as possible without stressing the healers out. But I must say, the 2 elementals during flight phase was fun to manage
Old 2011-01-22, 04:49   Link #6963
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Resist buffs use to stack back in vanilla. It was actually pretty much the designed strat on bosses that you had to stack all the resists you could so that you would negate most of the boss damage. Blizz has tried to move away from resists being anything other than just a nice extra damage reduction for magic effects.
If that's the case I have question that this is supposed be a tanking trinket?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 04:52   Link #6964
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If that's the case I have question that this is supposed be a tanking trinket?
This is more of a PvP based trinket for me since resistance is not as valuable as it used to be.
Old 2011-01-22, 05:51   Link #6965
Statonxyb
hrm

The Mirror of Broken Images is a situational item, but holds very nice value in PvE for numerous encounters where a good reduction in spell damage taken will ease the job of the healers, namely Nefarian, Cho'gall, and Al'Akir.
Old 2011-01-22, 05:59   Link #6966
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Looking at the trinket's passive stat, it seems quite tempting for Blood Death Knights who are all about wanting to get more mastery to increase their blood shield amount. Also just like you said Statonxyb, it can reduce the damage by a small bit but good enough to save some healer's mana. But most of the damage still comes from the bosses' physical hits on the tank though. The spells they use may be proportional in damage, but mainly meant to be used on the raid more then the tank. There are also spells like Halfus that requires the tanks to switch and dealing with the switches, the fights in Cataclysm are more about how you deal with the bosses' different spells more then taking too much damage. (well fights like Omnitron Defense System can be hard to manage) But fights like Chimeron are defiantly something to consider.

Nefarian himself is more about how you deal with the skeleton soldiers that if they hit you, they gain an increased damage and attack speed and keeping them away from being in front of Nefarian or Onyxia, everything else the duo dragons do is more or less threatening (well Onyxia can be a hassle) phase 2 not really that much to say tanking wise. But phase 3 is more about dealing with the ever-increasing speed of the flames more then healing the tank (well if the healers have to move)

Al'Akir is more about not getting blown off the platform when he does his blast ability for the majority of the phase and worrying about the tornadoes that slowly spin around the circle. Not that much stress healing the tank in my view, unless you have to get back to your destination and it might be too late to heal the tank. Phase (3) is basically all about blowing him down.

Cho'Gall is more about dealing with corruption more then healing the tanks by a massive amount, especially dealing with those oozes that spawn from the Forgotten Ones, but that's basically it for the majority of the fight till he fills the entire room and you have to kill the tentacles and burn him down.

I don't see that much use of this trinket in fight mechanics that worry more about positioning, dealing with the mechanics, and timing things then reducing spell damage that is done to the tank. Which can be more invested in trinkets that can increase things like parry, dodge, or even stamina if you are in need of that for whichever reason but the activating effect is worth the +stam.

Some of the effects combined with the physical damage that the bosses do can be easily countered with cooldowns if they are no in cooldown. The only need for this trinket is if the tanks run out on cooldowns and still need extra help in dealing with the physical damage + spells that the bosses do.

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-01-22 at 06:11.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 06:41   Link #6967
Statonxyb
hrm

I'm speaking primarily from a Warrior standpoint, which I probably should have noted. I play an 85 Protection Warrior and with mastery being such a high-valued stat for both survivability and rage generation (via blocks), the trinket serves an amazing dual-purpose tool in fights with magical and heavy physical damage going around.
Old 2011-01-22, 13:39   Link #6968
Xacual

Indeed, I use the trinket in my prot warrior's normal tanking gear. 400 resists is a nice amount and a 1 minute cd is even nicer.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-01-22, 17:15   Link #6969
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
I'm speaking primarily from a Warrior standpoint, which I probably should have noted. I play an 85 Protection Warrior and with mastery being such a high-valued stat for both survivability and rage generation (via blocks), the trinket serves an amazing dual-purpose tool in fights with magical and heavy physical damage going around.
Quote:
Indeed, I use the trinket in my prot warrior's normal tanking gear. 400 resists is a nice amount and a 1 minute cd is even nicer.
Ah, well I was taking things from a Blood Death Knights approach, but the 1 minute cd is still lovable regardless.
Old 2011-01-22, 18:00   Link #6970
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm so sick of PVP -_- I'm so close to either Quitting WoW, or just faction changing to Horde..
Old 2011-01-22, 18:15   Link #6971
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I'm so sick of PVP -_- I'm so close to either Quitting WoW, or just faction changing to Horde..
Trust me when I say faction changing will not change anything. Bad pvpers are universal on both sides if you want good pvp you'll need to find a guild or group of friends to queue with.

Old 2011-01-22, 18:38   Link #6972
Jaden

Yeah. A lot of people in my realm have it in their heads that Alliance is a joke in PVP and almost never wins. But in the end that's just the personal experiences of people who last entered a BG years ago, or maybe do it 2-5 times a week and had a little losing streak. They're not able to present any basis for their claims.

Or it's the spineless people that get a small disadvantage in the beginning and go afk, saying "just lose". I wonder if they've considered that the loss is their own fault for giving up too easily and dragging down their team. Please don't be one of these.

I've never actually recorded my win ratio over long periods but it feels like it's been 50/50.
Old 2011-01-22, 19:45   Link #6973
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Or it's the spineless people that get a small disadvantage in the beginning and go afk, saying "just lose". I wonder if they've considered that the loss is their own fault for giving up too easily and dragging down their team. Please don't be one of these.
The people who do things like that merely just want to get easy honor without even attempting to do anything involving winning. Since you can still get honor from a loss.
Old 2011-01-22, 20:11   Link #6974
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Trust me when I say faction changing will not change anything. Bad pvpers are universal on both sides if you want good pvp you'll need to find a guild or group of friends to queue with.
ok.. how about this, I lost 27 bgs in a row, badly...
Old 2011-01-22, 20:29   Link #6975
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
ok.. how about this, I lost 27 bgs in a row, badly...
I lost every single battleground I joined ever since Wotlk released (Strands of the Ancients = 18 losses) (Eye of the Storm = 9 losses) (Warsong Gulch = Only battleground I win = 12 wins) (Arathi Basin = 25 losses) (Alterac Valley = 3 losses)

Wintergrasp-wise, we always won on the server. But that changed ever since they balanced it out and we started losing more, Tol Barad is generally a 90/10 chance that we win it since the Alliance always go on the defensive and unorganized as we are, we never think of anything, just mob rush to points.

The numbers may be incorrect since I can't really remember accurately, but that is why I quitted battlegrounds.
Old 2011-01-22, 20:31   Link #6976
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

so you just do raids and stuff?
Old 2011-01-22, 20:32   Link #6977
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
so you just do raids and stuff?
Arenas and Raids are the way to go for me.
Old 2011-01-22, 20:48   Link #6978
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Arenas and Raids are the way to go for me.
how did you get PVP gear to do arena?
Old 2011-01-22, 21:12   Link #6979
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
how did you get PVP gear to do arena?
Get the crafted i339 set PVP and some gear from Heroic Dungeons, and then use Arena to earn other PVP gear?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 22:23   Link #6980
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I only do Battlegrounds when it involves being with guild members since we are more coordinated that way, other then that it's mostly consisting of doing Wintergrasp, and Tol Barad (primarily Tol Barad for the raid) There is also the pvp gear that drops from Argaloth that I would like to obtain.

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows