AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-22, 17:39   Link #1321
AC-Phoenix
Detective

The spell Fern picked is ironic justice for letting Frieren fail out of pettiness

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 17:54   Link #1322
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I thought it is more due to getting Frierens penchant for studing odd mundane spells. Like pupil, like teacher.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 17:58   Link #1323
Kazu-kun

There's also the fact that Fern seems to take care of the chores in the party, so this spell is actually super useful to her. I think that's the main reason she asked for it.
Old 2024-03-22, 18:06   Link #1324
Twi

You could ask a being likely nearly as old as magic itself for any spell and you ask for Prestidigitation.

It's practical, but still.
Old 2024-03-22, 18:14   Link #1325
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I thought it is more due to getting Frierens penchant for studing odd mundane spells. Like pupil, like teacher.
It's still ironic, given that Serie failed Frieren for liking a flower bed spell, and was clearly disappointed when Fern picked that spell. Which is also why Frieren said" serves her right"

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 18:21   Link #1326
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
You could ask a being likely nearly as old as magic itself for any spell and you ask for Prestidigitation.

It's practical, but still.
Dang, if I could ask for any spell... well, it would be Greater Teleport (Pathfinder 1E version), but Prestidigitation would be a close second.
Old 2024-03-22, 19:40   Link #1327
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I remember my jaw dropping when it was revealed that Land had never even left his hometown. He also has some pretty big balls saying to Serie's face (albeit remotely) that HE is impressed SHE figured it out, considering Serie is the greatest mage alive.

Serie is a really great character. She's arrogant but willing to admit when she's wrong, she apologized to Sense for assuming her test wasn't good enough. She also seemingly keeps people at a distance but although she never told any of them, she holds all of her pupils dear and still remember those who passed away vividly. I thought it was very touching she admitted that, as well as the fact she never regretted taking in students even if they never left their mark on history. This of course completely contradicts what she told Lernen, but that's a several thousand year old tsundere elf for you!

I've already said it a few episodes back, but I love how Wirbel completely subverted expectations. He came across as kind of battle hungry psycho at first, but he's actually the sweetest guy. And of course he was inspired by Himmel.

The ending revealed Ehre's grandfather was Lernen all along, so when she said fighting Fern felt like fighting against her grandfather, it was quite the compliment. I know it's mostly due to Fern's style being old fashioned, but still.

The little montage at the end wasn't in the manga. We never saw Kraft and Sein in it. I didn't expect the anime to give us news about Sein first.

Even though the ending line seemed like it was specifically tailored for the end of the season, it was actually the same in the manga. Truly the perfect ending point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Thats literarly what closing credits, I won't be surprised if they announce a movie fior the next story arc soon (it is more logical than a new season as I heard).
You heard wrong. Not only does the next story arc not start for a while, it's also even longer than the exam arc. There is zero way it would work as a movie.

They can take as long as they need making S2, I just want the staff to remain. They took a wonderful manga and enhanced it in every way possible. It would be a tragedy if Frieren ended up in JC staff's hands, too...
Old 2024-03-22, 20:44   Link #1328
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The ending revealed Ehre's grandfather was Lernen all along, so when she said fighting Fern felt like fighting against her grandfather, it was quite the compliment. I know it's mostly due to Fern's style being old fashioned, but still.
Ooh, totally missed that! Thanks for the head's up!

Felt surprising that Series passed the whole second half, as her comments in the previous episode now seem like a sleight of hand, story-wise.

I just noticed that Land wasn't part of the ED's cast, somewhat fitting given the reveal

Awesome series, definitely one of the rare 10/10 in my books. Not that there weren't any weak episodes (the one after the first test comes to mind), but frankly I can't fathom how one could have improved the work made.

I don't recall the last series in which I was so interested in the side-characters. Denken, Wirbel, Ubel, they could all have spinoffs and I'd be vested from the onset.
Old 2024-03-22, 21:44   Link #1329
deadite

I think the irony is that despite Stark's little screentime in the show, he is what people this era will remember in history, just like how Himmel is the one remembered over everyone else in the party.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 22:08   Link #1330
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was a solid last episode. Very comfortable and fitting for the show. Finished up the pass/fail session pretty smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that Serie was the type to give Sense an apology and acknowledged that this was a good group.

Best reveal was probably Land not being there in the slightest . I just love it. The man was chilling at home this whole time. No wonder he could be chill in every situation. He was never in any danger. Even with Ubel having his "original" in a vulnerable position it didn't matter since...he wasn't there . I respect Serie giving him the pass for the pure guts to pull a stunt like this.

Good stuff. Lot of solid moments from Frieren getting attacked to a dozen people saying goodbye to Stark. For all the criticism he took after the first test he was clearly doing his thing and being generally helpful to the people of that city.

Just a really good quality episode that even fit in some good Himmel flashbacks. The world is built up nicely here.

Overall I'll give it a 9/10. It's a really good show. It manages to handle the cast nicely, develops the side characters extremely well, has good emotional moments, and still gets some nice action scenes when it fits. I tend to save a 10/10 for a show that I just absolutely love. And it's not quite there for me. But definitely a great show.
Old 2024-03-22, 22:15   Link #1331
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

I want a spinoff for Land.

Episodes 1-3: Land defends a village from bandits.
Episodes 4-6: Land fights demons alongside Ubel.
Episodes 7-9: Land goes shopping for supplies and stops a thieves guild.
Episodes 10-11: Land delves into a dungeon and is killed in a dramatic battle on the 1st floor.
Episode 12: Land gets up, eats breakfast. Does some gardening. Eats lunch. Studies magic. Eats dinner. Goes to bed. And we realize each arc was a separate clone.
Old 2024-03-22, 23:39   Link #1332
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was wondering why they were in a scene together .
Quote:
The little montage at the end wasn't in the manga. We never saw Kraft and Sein in it. I didn't expect the anime to give us news about Sein first.
Not to mention the woman in a parasol near Sein .
Old 2024-03-23, 00:01   Link #1333
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
It's still ironic, given that Serie failed Frieren for liking a flower bed spell, and was clearly disappointed when Fern picked that spell. Which is also why Frieren said" serves her right"
Otherwise, it is still tusndere. Serie won't admit it. After Frieren enters the interview room, Serie says harsh word about her disciple Flamme, on wasting her lifetime on inventing flower magic. Frieren argues that it is not waste of time for inventing it and learning it. Yet, Frieren and Serie are surrounded by flowers. Perhaps, Serie casts Flamme's flower magic as a way to remember Flamme.

Serie also says harsh word to her disciple Lernen. Lernen is at his last stage of his life. Serie encourages him to challenge Frieren. Lernen declines by saying Frieren is at the same level as Serie. Serie criticizes Lernen as a coward for not living up to his potential. Also, he fails to see the power gap between Serie and Frieren.

While Lernen disappoints Serie, Fern is the pleasant surprise for Serie. Fern is able to catch the glimpse of Serie's hidden power level. Serie is willing to make the exception to pass Fern. Serie teaches Fern magic, to give Fern chance to become Serie's future disciple. When Serie met Frieren one thousand years ago, Serie also offers Frieren to learn magic from her. Frieren declines. Serie is upset about Frieren lacks passionate. Serie is looking for people who have guts.

Too bad, Lawine fails the second exam. If Lawine survives the second exam, Serie will pass her for her ambition and guts. To Serie, having guts is like having potential.

Overall, Serie's decision is rather whimsical. Serie thought Denken is useless due to his age, but Denken still has guts to think how to defeat her. He quickly gives up after access their difference. So is Wirbel. Ubel doesn't speak anything. Serie figures Ubel is think about how to scissor her, so Serie passes Ubel for having the fighting spirit. Methode has guts to tell Serie is chibi and kawaii, so Serie passes Methode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I was wondering why they were in a scene together .

Not to mention the woman in a parasol near Sein .
It looks more like the mangaka introduced Sein as a new party member, but found out there is no chemistry and dynamic for his role. So, Sein volunteered to exile himself from the party.

Last edited by scififan; 2024-03-23 at 00:21.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 01:24   Link #1334
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

It has been a while since I enjoyed watching an anime very much. Thank you for the wonderful adaptation for Frieren.

Very sweet to remember that Heiter is basically the one that found Fern's talent. Asking Frieren to nurture her and Fern manage to win Frieren's attention. And now Fern caught Serie's interest.
While Frieren's character development might be in form of how she reconnect all her experiences in her new journey, Fern is walking on the road to be greatest mage in peaceful era.

I'll miss this series and hopefully I can still catch up to the 2nd season years later.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 01:53   Link #1335
Huh...?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 02:02   Link #1336
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 04:23   Link #1337
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
At first, I thought it was gonna time-skip a lot using Frieren's longevity and had some hopes
For that read "Enough with This Slow Life! I Was Reincarnated as a High Elf and Now I’m Bored (I Was Reborn and Became a High Elf, but I Got Tired of My Slow Life after 120 Years)", or watch it when/if it gets an Anime adaptation.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 11:00   Link #1338
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That's generally not how anime productions work.

Most of them have around the same budget while the staff and time management varies.
One-Punch Man season 2 didn't get worse than season 1 because they magically decided to give it less money for no reason.

Placing all of the credit on the "budget" invalidates the work of the animators and gives it all to the executives.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 13:20   Link #1339
scififan

Quote:
I also think Yuyu Hakushu and Hunter x Hunter are boring, but they have a large crowd of loyal supporters. Even the manga artist became a slacker, the readers continue to buy books, so the Jump publisher would not cancel the series. Hunter x Hunter got remade, and there are always peole online make the culture reference to Yuyu Hakushu.

ToAru Index has been top 10 best selling light novels for years. ToAru and spinsoff are usually counted as one series on the sales ranking and number of publication, so there is no sign saying which is less popular. Someone's post showing it as number one accumulated sales ranking.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-23, 18:31   Link #1340
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
I also think Yuyu Hakushu and Hunter x Hunter are boring, but they have a large crowd of loyal supporters. Even the manga artist became a slacker, the readers continue to buy books, so the Jump publisher would not cancel the series. Hunter x Hunter got remade, and there are always peole online make the culture reference to Yuyu Hakushu.
Yoshihiro Togashi didn't "become a slacker" he's been dealing with progressive health issues, specifically lower back and hip pain.

Tags
adventure, fantasy