AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-25, 12:47   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This story was written as a movie plot in the early 1980s. Around the time Millenium Queen was on the air.
Old 2012-03-25, 14:21   Link #62
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Last week the show reminded me of Dune, this week it's Das Boot. Theory? I think you're stating the obvious here.
I might be slow but this theory never crossed my mind. Oh well obvious or not that's an interesting theory for me. Taking is a true, I wonder what would get him there instead of on the ship with Sam & the Captain. Did he lose his memory or something?

Anyways I didn't enjoy this episode quite as much as the first (back and forth battles don't do much for me for some reason) but I am still very intrigued by the characters. I also did like the 2nd half of the episode more.

Also the fact that this was originally conceived as movie comforts me & I have more faith that they will know how to tell a good short story in the limited amount of episodes. Plus it's nice we are getting a TV series now instead of having to wait awhile to see a movie from Japan.
Old 2012-03-25, 14:50   Link #63
ookamigirl

They sure managed to escape without any problems... at first.
I must admit they have a really smart captain.
Sam's girl Maya sure brought trouble... hope she's worth it.
This was like watching a submarine fight, just under the sand.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 01:40   Link #64
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I'm amazed on how quickly 23 minutes can fly by when watching this.

I'm reminding of the parts that I really liked about The Hunt for Red October with the "sand submarine" turning off the engines so it couldn't be heard and the hiding in the canyons(the subs called it a reef but it seemed more canyon-like to me). Gido and Bainas playing chicken with each other as the internal temperature was heading towards 50 degrees Celsius was gripping to watch, and I also liked how Bainas had her ears right to the headphones as she listened to the various sounds to identify what the Thesusian forces were using against them.

The way things were presented makes me think that Gido might be a good-ish guy who seems to care about Maya who is doing the biding of an evil government. One thing is more sure, I would like to know why Gido wears a mask.

I am interested to finding out just what Maya's deal is. It was a good place to leave us hanging as I presume the doctor will tell Bainas what she found out about Maya. Mimey and Sam were pretty amusing in this episode too.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 06:02   Link #65
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

I'm always up for more anime shows based on Leiji Matsumoto stories. I've watched both episodes and enjoyed them. I hope the rest of the episodes are good as well. Oh, and the captain, Bynas, is awesome.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 20:54   Link #66
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm guessing their field generator works by somehow making silicon and maybe some other elements and compounds seem like liquids to he vessel rather than solids. Thus....in a sand right enviroment...the whole thing would seem like a sea, and anything solid treated like an island or reef.

However the field seems to also act as a heat shield. The air conditioning units would have no were to expel the heat from the ship and the heat insulation from the sand would start to get to them, as nt only the heat removed by the air conditioning units (which were shut down), but also the engines, would looks like they are really hot. Not sure about the pressure, since they were not moving, though I suppose the heat would make the metal more mailable.

Gido seems to be worried about Maya first and foremost, and this seems to be the only reason he gave up the chase. He is reminding me a little of Harlock and a little of Faust from the second Galaxy Express 999 movie.

Bynas of course is channeling Emeraldas.
Old 2012-03-26, 20:57   Link #67
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... will give the first 2 eps a try here....
Old 2012-03-26, 23:36   Link #68
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Bynas of course is channeling Emeraldas.
Yeah, that was the impression I got when I first saw her. Both her appearance and personality is similar to Emeraldas. That's a good thing, since I really like Emeraldas.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:38   Link #69
salitangibinasura
n00b101

Only 6 episodes? Mmmkay. I think I'm going to watch it! :3
salitangibinasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 17:12   Link #70
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Hrm ... interesting.

Well ... after watching ep 1 I have a mix of impressions and such.

First and foremost is the art style. It is definitely from an "older school", although to me it seems to be a "mish mosh" of older schools (not that I am any sort of an expert on them or what not). And while the old school styles are not necessarily "bad" after thinking about them I decided that they are not really my "taste" per se. They don't ... um ... "do anything for me", I guess. This was especially emphasized after seeing ep 1 of the BD release of Mashiro-iro Symphony, which was amazingly beautiful and had crisp, clear video quality. I guess my visual aesthetic taste in this sense is a little more "contemporary". However, I did find myself liking the animation style of the steampunk/sci-fi combo machines.

As regards the storyline, I must admit that I kinda liked it. Not jumping up and down enthusiasm or anything, but I found it to be interesting enough that I would watch the next eps as they come up with a curious interest to see where things go.

I guess I would give ep 1 a 7/10 vote. I will watch ep 2 in the next few days, I think....
Old 2012-03-27, 23:38   Link #71
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
makes me wonder why they aren't using the japanese version of the op & instead using the english version?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 14:19   Link #72
ookamigirl

Sam was certainly enjoying himself showing Maya around.
Seems like Captain & doctor figured out that he is no ordinary girl.
On the bright side at least it was always lively on their ship LOL
Damn... to think they would do mind transfers just to stay alive forever, sick.
Well, she got back from where she came from... but I don't think Sam will let her go so easily.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 15:11   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 3.

Spoiler for episode 3:

Pretty good episode. It covered lots of ground and I'm finally starting to gain an interest in the plot.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 15:14   Link #74
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Hmm ... well, watched ep 2, and the storyline is really the biggest catch for the series.

Dunno ... I don't think I am going to follow the series any more, but may look into it later.
Old 2012-03-31, 17:35   Link #75
Kirarakim

The story and sci-fi elements have certainly gotten interesting for me.

However I do feel the short length of the series is affecting an emotional response for me. I just didn't feel any connection between Maya & Sam despite those ending scenes. However that might change as the story progresses.

So far Gido & the Captain are probably the most interesting characters for me. Gido just looks cool in the mask (and the fact that he is probably Sam's brother intrigues me) and the Captain is just cool.
Old 2012-03-31, 17:56   Link #76
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow so Gido has control over Sam's brother's body. So Maya can actually call the Ozuma. Looked like a huge kind of ship or something like that.
Old 2012-03-31, 18:50   Link #77
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looks like it has water in it as well. Also can make rain (or water spray) for a brief time....otherwise you won't have a rainbow like that.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:03   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So, Gido is Sam's brother... but only in body. I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of his (Sam's personality) original personality is left though.

Ozma seems to be a machine, and it can spray water. Hmm. It's probably the key to save this barren world.
Old 2012-04-01, 14:23   Link #79
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well that was unexpected, instead of time travelers/aliens we get genetically modified body snatchers and that sand whale didn't look that much like a whale to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So, Gido is Sam's brother... but only in body. I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of his (Sam's personality) original personality is left though.
I'm thinking a bit is left as well, before the transfer Gido seemed kinda nuts and in the present day he seems much more calm and collected (plus his brother was still semi-conscious when it occurred).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 14:48   Link #80
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Whatever happened to Earth must have been temporary, as anything that could dry up that much of the planet would kill any humanoids or remaining plantlife in the daylight.

So Red Giant is not viable (unless somehow the Sun didn't get big enough to turn the planet to ash) as a white drawf would probably not generate enough heat to have the planet (in what might be Germany) look like a dry wasteland.

Massive Solar Flares?