AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-30, 13:57   Link #1921
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
He was the former CEO of Bain Capital. For anyone that has even an inkling about the cut-throat world of private equity.. and how much wealth this guy has, if there wasn't something he wanted to do, he wouldn't run for POTUS. To be absolutely honest, most people that have tons of wealth don't necessarily find the job particularly desirable..
In general the cost to run for POTUS way exceeds the final pay-packet. In fact the POTUS salary is used as the unofficial salary cap of the US government.

Of course there are things Romney want to do. But he would try to keep everyone who voted for him happy. This would require continue his policies of saying everything others want to hear and nothing to do with what he actually does behind closed doors.
Old 2012-10-30, 13:58   Link #1922
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Of course there are things Romney ant to do. But he would try to keep everyone who voted for him happy. This would require continue his policies of saying everything others want to hear and nothing to do with what he actually does behind closed doors.
I thought the job of the POTUS was to immediately go back on campaign promises once elected?
Old 2012-10-30, 14:05   Link #1923
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Oregonian and Californian Republicans think Romney can be "trained" while they think Obama is a "dbag".
Old 2012-10-30, 14:06   Link #1924
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I thought the job of the POTUS was to immediately go back on campaign promises once elected?
He doesn't HAVE any campaign promises.

Romney doesn't actually make promises, he just changes his words depending on audience. And his voters assume he is lying to everyone else but them.

If it works enough to get him elected, why not keep doing it? He can keep lying as POTUS and change his position on a daily basis. Why should he stop? His voters don't care.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:32   Link #1925
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I recall Clinton getting accused of being a flip-flopper at some point. Though mostly it was liar. Among other things he was called.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:36   Link #1926
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I recall Clinton getting accused of being a flip-flopper at some point. Though mostly it was liar. Among other things he was called.
Romney has surpassed the need to flip flop. As I say, nobody, not even his voters, know what he stands for. He doesn't HAVE a position. Or at least nobody knows what it is.

And yet he is still in the race. This proves you really can run as POTUS and get votes by promising nothing at all.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:42   Link #1927
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I have been reminded of Clinton a few times by Romney. Clinton was a 'charmer'. He'd want to please his immediate audience and say things he'd have to stumble over later. Romney strikes me somewhat as trending in that direction but not nearly as "good" at it (keep in mind, I think the trait is a brewing disaster for both).

To me, its all part of the cloud of "facts don't matter, its all marketing" meme that swamps the political process.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:43   Link #1928
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nothing at all seems better to some people that what Obama has promised.

That or he's simply that white guy so that's good enough against that black guy. It happens.

The country has gone from a white majority to a not quite majority, possible largest minority. It doesn't sit will with many of them.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:50   Link #1929
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

That or he's simply that white guy so that's good enough against that black guy. It happens.
Well, in that same line of thought Obama is going to get vote from 90% of the black voters..............

Anyway I don't see Obama losing. Romney's climb to 270 electoral vote appears much steeper than Obama's. Also Obama actually has a very good chance of winning Florida too. Voter turn out is the key of course.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:52   Link #1930
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fortunately not everyone is dirven by race and color.

I wonder how many Black Southern Baptists will vote Ronmey. Being religious conservatives and all that.
Old 2012-10-30, 15:04   Link #1931
willx
Nyaaan~~

Not sure whether this goes here or the Hurricane Sandy thread..

Republican Governor Chris Christie praises Obama, not interested in Romney "photo-op"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/3...ney-photo-op/?
Old 2012-10-30, 15:11   Link #1932
Xacual

Quote:

Republican Governor Chris Christie praises Obama, not interested in Romney "photo-op"

Christie has always struck me as a pretty good politician, was he one of the ones the GOP wanted to run this year?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-10-30, 15:14   Link #1933
james0246

Quote:

Christie is only "praising" Obama because he wants to run for President in 2016, but if Romney wins Christie will have lost his chance (and judging by his weight, he should be dead by 2020, so he probably won't be able to run in 8 years...)...also, it only makes sense to praise the person who's gonna give you billions of dollars in federal aid .
Old 2012-10-30, 15:23   Link #1934
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Christie is only "praising" Obama because he wants to run for President in 2016, but if Romney wins Christie will have lost his chance (and judging by his weight, he should be dead by 2020, so he probably won't be able to run in 8 years...)...also, it only makes sense to praise the person who's gonna give you billions of dollars in federal aid .
lol... Someone isn't a fan. Hilarious!

That said, I agree. Christie is very, VERY good politician (that isn't seen often in GOP) who is simply thinking ahead. 2016 is when GOP will have some good ones come out of the shadow unlike the jokers they put forward this time around. Christie is paving the way one little thing at a time. GOP will have to because the Democrats are poised to put some really good ones too such as Cuomo and Hilary.
Old 2012-10-30, 15:35   Link #1935
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Machiavellian politics or not, when the Northeast is drenched and the President calls off the campaign to get to work (because, you know, there's a flipping disaster going on), having someone call out Romney on his not-campaign campaign on cable is worth it.

Romney's a "nice guy" my ass.

And while Christie is a GOP attack bulldog, he is also a governor; he has a job to do, millions in NJ are heavily affected, he needs to work with the President to get shit done and the relief efforts to get going. If a cheap and easy good word between them gets the ball rolling faster, all the better for the people of New Jersey.
Old 2012-10-30, 15:36   Link #1936
monir
cho~ kakkoii

To Christie's credit he has been one of the better Governor the state of New Jersey has seen in a while.
Old 2012-10-30, 15:37   Link #1937
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

As a gouvernor, Chris Christie probably have more pro than con. He is praising Obama than give help and dismise Romney than would be more likely to hamper the aid effort with his photo-op.
But I would want to see him in the White House even thought than he might be one of the less bad pottential candidate for 2016.
Old 2012-10-30, 15:43   Link #1938
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't "like" Christie, but he's a practical guy that can be worked with. He's not an ideologue or plutocrat as such.

And I can't quite expressed how annoyed I get at the 'voting on skin color' be they white or black.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:16   Link #1939
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Could the aftermath of Sandy change the election?
Old 2012-10-30, 16:18   Link #1940
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Could the aftermath of Sandy change the election?
I'm wondering how many people simply won't be able to vote and who that impacts. Normally, decimating the voting benefits Republicans but a lot of the areas hit are nominally conservative.