Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-21, 05:05   Link #41
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Hmm what race are hispanics considered.
Well, "Hispanic" is a versatile term, and most of its uses are cultural rather than racial. The only "race" you could really assign it to would be natives of Latin America (ie. before the Europeans got there). (Which in old anthropological terms is a subset of "Mongoloid.")
Old 2003-12-21, 05:32   Link #42
xfordained
you should die

i think u need to ask the question why when they draw black ppl they have just a circle inside another one for lips lol
Old 2003-12-21, 08:22   Link #43
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfordained
i think u need to ask the question why when they draw black ppl they have just a circle inside another one for lips lol
thats pretty true, however they have changed that a bit now, Like in dragonball they used to draw blacks like that however they have changed that pratice alot now and draw them with more detail.
Old 2003-12-21, 09:09   Link #44
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Well, "Hispanic" is a versatile term, and most of its uses are cultural rather than racial. The only "race" you could really assign it to would be natives of Latin America (ie. before the Europeans got there). (Which in old anthropological terms is a subset of "Mongoloid.")
I thought "hispanic" means Spanish/Portugese (also applies to SA because of that). Long time ago Spain was actually called Hispania.
Old 2003-12-21, 09:24   Link #45
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
I thought "hispanic" means Spanish/Portugese (also applies to SA because of that). Long time ago Spain was actually called Hispania.
No hispanic reffers to people of latin america or something like that, spanish people are people living in brazil and spain where they speak portugese.
Old 2003-12-21, 10:01   Link #46
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
No hispanic reffers to people of latin america or something like that, spanish people are people living in brazil and spain where they speak portugese.

What about shows with only yellow or green people? aren't those racist to everyone? How can a show THAT!!

rac·ism P Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.
1) The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2) Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Not drawing someone does not mean you're discriminating them. Drawing them in a stereotypical role, could be considered racist though. But since it's rare that they're actually included I Don't think they're racist at all.
Old 2003-12-21, 11:47   Link #47
Sodiumkun
Inactive Member

Exclamation

Hi, I just want to make a comment about the video,"TOKYO BREAKFAST"

I saw the video about a year ago and I thought Americans made yet anther comedy making fun of Japanese.

"nigga" joke totally went over my head, so I didn't understand the last punch line. I assumed it's some sort of comical phrase popular in America. The stereotype about Japanese in the show is rather benign, so I laughed and forgot about it.

Recently, I noticed that most of people who watched the video believe that it was really created by Japanese.

Frankly, I am shocked.

Definitely, the video was not created by Japanese.

The "pilot" notice and Japanese subtitle give the sense of realism to the video but it's a trick.

The actor's/actress's accent, body language, facial expressions, and the reaction of audience are all un-Japanese. ( And no one in Japan understands "nigga" joke! )

So, who made it? I don't know. But whoever made it, they are very calculating.

It is designed to fool non-Japanese into believing that Japanese are responsible for this racist show and fool Japanese into believing American made a benign mockery show of Japanese. So, neither American nor Japanese seriously consider interrupting the distribution of the video.
Old 2003-12-21, 11:57   Link #48
lighter junkie
Pyromaniac

whoa, i've never noticed the whole thing about afircan americans in japanese anime, but i think it's not racial discrimination or anything, it all just makes more sense. the proportion of different race they're using as characters now is just fine. forget about the mechs and space series, if they're doing a shoujo or shounen series, with a black man as main a character...it'd be pretty weird. it's fine, just like how american cartoons features mostly americans, jap anime has mostly asian, there's not much to look into since the anime itself doesn't propagate any racial ideas and etc.
Old 2003-12-21, 12:39   Link #49
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

i soooooooo agree...

I sooooooooo agree, i mean im black british and i would love to see a black gurl in japan, i totally agree.. dont mean to sound childish or anything but its tru...
Old 2003-12-21, 13:28   Link #50
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Quote:
No hispanic reffers to people of latin america
It can mean either. And quite a few other things besides. The word "hispanic" is certainly derived from the name of the Spanish peninsula, (note that the "Spanish and Portugese" aren't a single homogenous race), but it can refer to Latin America due to the colonisation of it being dominated by the Spanish and Portugese, (North America of course being dominated by the English and French), with the result that every country in Latin America speaks Spanish, except Brazil where Portugese is spoken. (And except for some tiny, almost irrelevant countries called the Guyanas. Possibly Belize too, I can't remember.)
Old 2003-12-21, 15:58   Link #51
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
I agree with Jappi.

About Tokyo Breakfast, even if it -was- made by American people, I'm QUITE sure it isn't to fool people into thinking Japanese people are racist.. X_X If it is made by American people, I'm pretty sure it's just to make fun of how Japanese people copy American culture.

I think we can't forget one thing. Anime doesn't have such thing as "politically correct-ness" :P They might sometimes make fun of other cultures, and exagerate certain stereotypes but it's never in a mean or racist way. It's just a joke. You guys are saying how Akira Toriyama drew black people with the circles for the mouth.. But he exagerates a LOT of physical features. That's just his style. It's how he draws really spikey hair, big muscles and other things like that... I also remember that in one of his manga, he drew a Canadian man dressed like a lumberjack with huge muscles and a huge beard and big round eyes. I found that pretty funny.. I didn't get upset and think he was racist or stereotyping.. :P

In America, people tend to be paranoid about things like that.. By example, if in a series.. There's more boys than girls.. A lot of girls will get upset and say that it's a sexist series and that the author thinks girls can't do this or that. .. I've also heard girls say that anime is sexist because a lot of female anime characters are attractive. I have no idea how this is sexist :P It's the same for racism. In a certain popular American movie, the Black guy was the character that got killed... And I think a lot of Black people got upset about that. There's a lot of things like that. American culture and Japanese culture are much different in that way..
Old 2003-12-21, 16:10   Link #52
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

Anime is not racist

anime use to be, set in japan. this is why most animes are set in or have japanese main chracters.

but in the following 10 years anime has been adding different cultural characters into the series, we have them changing hair colour and eye colours, cloths are different and more into the present time.

many people think that there are no black main characters in the samurai x ova.
this is because the ova is set in japan and the war never involved any blacks being killed during the revolution. there are animes with black people like in sin.

for people who think anime is racist they are dumb and stupid and have no right to watch anime
Old 2003-12-21, 16:10   Link #53
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodiumkun
Hi, I just want to make a comment about the video,"TOKYO BREAKFAST"

I saw the video about a year ago and I thought Americans made yet anther comedy making fun of Japanese.

"nigga" joke totally went over my head, so I didn't understand the last punch line. I assumed it's some sort of comical phrase popular in America. The stereotype about Japanese in the show is rather benign, so I laughed and forgot about it.

Recently, I noticed that most of people who watched the video believe that it was really created by Japanese.

Frankly, I am shocked.

Definitely, the video was not created by Japanese.

The "pilot" notice and Japanese subtitle give the sense of realism to the video but it's a trick.

The actor's/actress's accent, body language, facial expressions, and the reaction of audience are all un-Japanese. ( And no one in Japan understands "nigga" joke! )

So, who made it? I don't know. But whoever made it, they are very calculating.

It is designed to fool non-Japanese into believing that Japanese are responsible for this racist show and fool Japanese into believing American made a benign mockery show of Japanese. So, neither American nor Japanese seriously consider interrupting the distribution of the video.
no it's a totally funny video even if they do use the n-word quite a bit, I don't think there is anyone who considers it as racist though.
Old 2003-12-21, 17:05   Link #54
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
In America, people tend to be paranoid about things like that.. By example, if in a series.. There's more boys than girls.. A lot of girls will get upset and say that it's a sexist series and that the author thinks girls can't do this or that. .. I've also heard girls say that anime is sexist because a lot of female anime characters are attractive. I have no idea how this is sexist :P It's the same for racism. In a certain popular American movie, the Black guy was the character that got killed... And I think a lot of Black people got upset about that. There's a lot of things like that. American culture and Japanese culture are much different in that way..
I remember hearing about an article that claimed Kill Bill was racist because of of the scene where Uma Therman kills like 1000 asian people. Lol americans can be so silly.
Old 2003-12-22, 00:00   Link #55
Iron Monkey

Well, asking why there aren't more black people in anime is kinda like asking why there aren't more Asians in Hip Hop videos. Very simple, as most people already explained. Anime is an Asian creation, hence, more Asian influences. It's really just that simple. Making a racial issue out of it is kinda silly, if you ask me. No, I'm not afraid to talk about racial issues if there was one. But I don't really see it as an issue in anime, that's all.
Old 2003-12-22, 01:55   Link #56
Thelastguardian

I think you people are using the wrong phase in this disscussion (fortunatly not flame). You should not use 'rascist', instead you should use the word 'prejudice'

rac·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

prej·u·dice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (prj-ds)
n.

An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
A preconceived preference or idea.
The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

tr.v. prej·u·diced, prej·u·dic·ing, prej·u·dic·es
To cause (someone) to judge prematurely and irrationally. See Synonyms at bias.
To affect injuriously or detrimentally by a judgment or an act.

of course i am no language expert, but from what I can see, Japanese anime had not been hinting that a specific race to be inferior or superior (except alien). They are more 'An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts. ', don't you think so?
Old 2003-12-22, 02:47   Link #57
shiznitty

i think you guys are looking to deep into it. The writers probably of the shows probably dont spend that much time debating wheter what race should be in it. Besides, Japan is Japan, and your not going to find many hispanics in japan.
Old 2003-12-22, 02:48   Link #58
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
You didn't read your own definition.

Race isn't really an issue in Japan. So if some person would submit a manga or anime about race to TV Tokyo or Jump or whatever...they wouldn't connect with it or find it interesting.
Old 2003-12-22, 02:51   Link #59
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
You didn't read your own definition.
but it could cover a much boarder definition dont you think? For me it is a bit too vague for my taste.
Old 2003-12-22, 23:32   Link #60
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznitty
i think you guys are looking to deep into it. The writers probably of the shows probably dont spend that much time debating wheter what race should be in it. Besides, Japan is Japan, and your not going to find many hispanics in japan.
Lets be honest right now, Their are two notable races in the world, and that is black and white, all other races follow after these races, and while it may sound racist its through, Blacks and whites are honestly the only groups that often get to even have a voice in issues, while other groups are ignored and not counted, a example is clearly polictics, politicians first directive is to get the white and black vote, anything else falls in the other category, so you really can't say that these japanese aren't thinking about race because they have tons of whites in their anime series and only a few blacks, in many series their are white main characters such as the onegai series.
Closed Thread