AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-13, 14:40   Link #341
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the original game allow the player to create Original Avatars. however when the death began, Kayaba made everyone look like there original self.
Well, he changed everyone who used their mirror. I've always wondered if anyone hesitated before using an object from Kayaba, saw everyone changing and said, "Screw that."
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 14:41   Link #342
sinner0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yes, it did. Kirito pointed out that the male : female ratio decreased significantly after being reverted to their true selves.
Oh, right. I forgot about that. But...if that is that case, Kirito's story about player not being able to choose opposite gender is invalid? I don't know if I can post this here but here is the part of chapter 16.5 about gender part.

Warning. Slightly R-rated.
Spoiler for Excerpt from Chapter 16.5:

So, unless I read it wrong, avatar/character gender cannot be opposite of the player is what Kirito trying to say, right?

Last edited by sinner0; 2012-07-13 at 15:17. Reason: Spelling errors
sinner0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 15:10   Link #343
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner0 View Post
So, unless I read it wrong, avatar/character gender cannot be opposite of the player is what Kirito trying to say, right?
Oh, that. I always thought he meant that was the reason players weren't allowed to change the gender of their character in game after having created one. But I also could be wrong.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 15:52   Link #344
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

So Book 10 is out (but of course untranslated) and while I feel like reading, it is almost 5 in the morning and my head can't quite translate Japanese at this kind of time... YAWN...

On to the subject. So apparently Kirito is once again in a life and death crisis - one much worse than before, and almost no guarantee that he'll survive - and tossed into a life-like world probably as a means of reviving him or (plain speculation here) preserving his soul. The advancement from VR to literally the creation of a new world in such a short time is like... wow? What exactly is going on in the real world that Kirito is ignorant about?

I can't believe he actually participated in the experiment in the first place knowing that 1) his VR self will not remember his actual identity and 2) he would not remember any of his experience in the VR world. It has crime scribbled all over the place, though of what nature I really could not say.

Ah, the Alicization arc looks very likely to describe Kirito's VR journey in full detail, unlike the first arc where his entire 2 years in SAO was kind of... skipped. Much, MUCH anticipated~
Old 2012-07-13, 16:01   Link #345
Ray
Garnet

^This thread for speculating about the anime, not the L/Ns. It'll be ages until, that's IF, Alicization will get animated.
Old 2012-07-13, 16:06   Link #346
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Well, he changed everyone who used their mirror. I've always wondered if anyone hesitated before using an object from Kayaba, saw everyone changing and said, "Screw that."
You're mixed up, Kayaba himself did the gender change, the mirrors were just there to show the players themselves that they now looked like their real selves.

Also Xellos your list left out Liz's story if I'm reading it right.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 16:39   Link #347
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
You're mixed up, Kayaba himself did the gender change, the mirrors were just there to show the players themselves that they now looked like their real selves.

Also Xellos your list left out Liz's story if I'm reading it right.
looks like i did, got that corrected now.
Old 2012-07-14, 12:38   Link #348
Utsuro no Hako

Looks like most of our predictions were correct about what got cut from ep2 --
Spoiler:
Old 2012-07-14, 12:47   Link #349
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Honestly, that was a lot of stuff there. Sure, it got cut, but isn't the essence of the story still intact?

Besides, Asuna appears to think sleeping next to Kirito at the start of A Murder Case was more significant than this, their first meeting.

Hunt for Red October film also cut out a lot of stuff, but it's also considered a good example of adaptation distillation.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 12:56   Link #350
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Honestly, that was a lot of stuff there. Sure, it got cut, but isn't the essence of the story still intact?
Well, it is a fan's first instinct to want to preserve as much detail they can in an adaptation, god knows how many times I've caught myself nitpicking the LOTR films for the same thing. But yea, as long as the essence of the story remains intact, I don't really have any issue with stuff being cut/changed, it is a practical necessity especially when going from a book to the TV screen.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 13:02   Link #351
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well, it is a fan's first instinct to want to preserve as much detail they can in an adaptation, god knows how many times I've caught myself nitpicking the LOTR films for the same thing. But yea, as long as the essence of the story remains intact, I don't really have any issue with stuff being cut/changed, it is a practical necessity especially when going from a book to the TV screen.
This (and the above post, too). Here's hoping that they're condensing the side stories to make room for more (anime original, perhaps?) material in the main story.
Old 2012-07-14, 13:08   Link #352
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Actually, a lot of the essence was missing as well. The talk between Kirito and Asuna over bread was really shallow since all the shoring up/buildup for it (their meeting in the dungeon at the beginning of Aria) was completely axed. And I would have thought this whether I read the novels or not. They had all of 6 minutes of scenes together (the majority of which was listening to people talk and not actually conversing between each other), and then suddenly they were having this deep conversation coming from who knows where. Cutting this down to one episode hurt.

And worse, the ED turned up being bland and generic. The best I can make of this is that we'll get to the main story faster......
Old 2012-07-14, 13:29   Link #353
Hmm....

I can live with Argo absence, Diabel turn good guy and Kibaou is just a jerk thing.
But axing Asuna in the dungeon hurt the most. I personally consider that scene most important among the three (dungeon, bread, bath).
And that guidebook, where do they come from ? from Diabel ?? or some mystery man yet to be introduced (if they bother introduce him at all ).

Right now, Asuna feel like one generic female character to me. Next episode, Kirito will move on and get new girl and on and on..... How many eppisdoe before she get screen time again ? Perhap they plan to make it not obvoius who gonna be female lead ? That is not a bad move, then why make OP and ED and everything so obvious ^^"
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 14:21   Link #354
kyp275
Meh

Eh, if you guys are thinking of this solely in terms of an adaptation of Aria, then yea. As an adaptation of SAO however, I don't think much has been lost in the stuff that were cut/changed, especially considering the multitude of conflicting elements Aria has with the novel.

As far as Asuna is concerned, this is her introductory episode, and it did that job well. They're not trying to anoint her as Kirito's old lady this early in the story, nor should they, given how they seems to be going with the novel's approach, which doesn't have any romantic stuff between Kirito and Asuna until much later.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:32   Link #355
Utsuro no Hako

The only cut that I think hurt the story was not showing Asuna in the dungeon in the beginning, though I do think the battle strategy could've been depicted better, particularly after Diabel died.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:35   Link #356
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Eh, if you guys are thinking of this solely in terms of an adaptation of Aria, then yea. As an adaptation of SAO however, I don't think much has been lost in the stuff that were cut/changed, especially considering the multitude of conflicting elements Aria has with the novel.
Incorrect. As I specifically pointed out, as the anime portrays this episode, Asuna appeared suddenly, exchanged a few words, and suddenly she and Kirito are having this deep talk. Which lacks depth because it had all of 2 minutes of shoring up. Also as I said, I would have thought this had I read the novels beforehand or not. Asuna's introduction and lead-in to her interaction with Kirito was way too sudden and fast. If I hadn't read the novels actually, I may have thought that she was one of those "introduced just to die characters" (like Sachi will end up being if this episode's pacing is any indication), at least until she took off the cloak and I would've seen she's in the OP.
And the conflicting elements Aria had with the novel were easily adjustable with the full story in hand.
Quote:
As far as Asuna is concerned, this is her introductory episode, and it did that job well. They're not trying to anoint her as Kirito's old lady this early in the story, nor should they, given how they seems to be going with the novel's approach, which doesn't have any romantic stuff between Kirito and Asuna until much later.
It didn't do her introductory that well from an anime-only or novel PoV because of the aforementioned suddenness from the time crunch.
Nobody is saying anything about there needing to be KiriAsu yet; there was never any real KiriAsu in the Aria SS in the first place.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:44   Link #357
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Incorrect. As I specifically pointed out, as the anime portrays this episode Asuna appeared suddenly, exchanged a few words, and suddenly she and Kirito are having this deep talk. Which lacks depth because it had all of 2 minutes of shoring up.
Sudden? how is it "sudden"?, her showing up at the meeting is no more "sudden" than Kirito "suddenly" run into her in the dungeon. Nor is their talk "deep" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Also as I said, i would have thought this had I read the novels beforehand or not.
Sorry, but I disagree. Your complains are exactly the kind that are always made by fans who are comparing the adaptation to the original material.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:50   Link #358
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Sudden? how is it "sudden"?, her showing up at the meeting is no more "sudden" than Kirito "suddenly" run into her in the dungeon. Nor is their talk "deep" by any stretch of the imagination.
How is it not sudden? There was about 4 1/2 minutes between when Kirito first talked to Asuna and partied with her and when they were talking over bread. And about 3 of those 4 1/2 minutes were people talking at the meeting like Egil.
Their talk about why Asuna fights isn't deep? Even in the anime version it is, but it loses that depth because we don't see any basis for it.
Of course you helped to point out another flaw in the episode; Asuna's talk really doesn't seem that deep in the anime because, as I pointed out, there's no basis for viewers to see where she's coming from. They just see a girl in a cloak. In the novels, we see how near-self-destructive she acts, and that shores up her character and then we can see what the heck she's talking about later.

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. Your complains are exactly the kind that are always made by fans who are comparing the adaptation to the original material.
So now you're reading my mind and telling me where my thoughts are coming from? A little presumptuous don't you think? With all due respect, you don't really have the right to be deciding for me where my opinions are coming from.
I explained exactly how my thoughts are based in anime-only origination. Why is Asuna opening up to a guy she has barely interracted with? Even from anime-only, you can tell she's a quiet loner so where's the openness suddenly coming from? Why is she talking about not wanting to lose to the game? From the 1 1/2 - 2 minutes of interaction they had while forming their party? Rushed and contrived.
Old 2012-07-14, 15:07   Link #359
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

I do agree that the plot of this episode seems rushed. But lets face it. Generally adaptations will always lack that little bit of magic that made the source material shine. What's done is done. Let's just hope the pacing improves when we get to the meat of the story.

And yeah Asunas character development this ep did feel lacking somewhat. But maybe this is just an LN readers bias. Anyway I'll still give the SAO anime the benefit of the doubt until it finishes it's run. What I'm worried about the most right now is if they rush RNR next Saturday as well. If they do condense it I hope they preserve the sense of loss and anguish that particular SS brought to the table for it's full effect.
Old 2012-07-14, 15:10   Link #360
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
How is it not sudden? There was about 4 1/2 minutes between when Kirito first talked to Asuna and partied with her and when they were talking over bread. And about 3 of those 4 1/2 minutes were people talking at the meeting like Egil.
They met at the meeting, partied up because they're the only two left without a group, after which they had a little talk over bread in the eve before the first time anyone has tried to take on the boss, I certainly don't see where the "sudden" part comes from.

Quote:
Their talk about why Asuna fights isn't deep? Even in the anime version it is, but it loses that depth because we don't see any basis for it.
Eh, maybe that's what you consider to be deep, for me those kind of talks are dimes a dozen.

Quote:
Of course you helped to point out another flaw in the episode; Asuna's talk really doesn't seem that deep in the anime because, as I pointed out, there's no basis for viewers to see where she's coming from. They just see a girl in a cloak. In the novels, we see how near-self-destructive she acts, and that shores up her character and then we can see what the heck she's talking about later.
Great, and in the grand scheme of SAO, not all that important, especially if you have to dedicate the SECOND episode to it. Kirito is the main character, not Asuna.

Quote:
So now you're reading my mind and telling me where my thoughts are coming from? A little presumptuous don't you think? With all due respect, you don't really have the right to be deciding for me where my opinions are coming from.
You can have whatever opinion you want, but that certainly doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on your opinion.

Quote:
I explained exactly how my thoughts are based in anime-only origination. Why is Asuna opening up to a guy she has barely interracted with? Even from anime-only, you can tell she's a quiet loner so where's the openness suddenly coming from? Why is she talking about not wanting to lose to the game? From the 1 1/2 - 2 minutes of interaction they had while forming their party? Rushed and contrived.
Why is everyone so trusting of Diabel? Why does Egil stand up for the beta testers? Why is Kibaou such an ass? You can play that game all day long if you want. And I don't see how what Asuna said was hard to understand, if anything it's more of a cookie cutter response used by 2378492037482930 other characters when they're put into an impossible/dire situation = "I don't want to lose to xxxx!"