AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2013-06-13, 10:58   Link #21
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xland44 View Post
This may not be the correct thread for this question, but from my guess a fansubber is someone that makes unofficial subs. Is there such a thing as a fandubber?
Yes, there are.

Heck there are even fanbraillers for those anime fans that are both blind and deaf.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:10   Link #22
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Heck there are even fanbraillers for those anime fans that are both blind and deaf.
surely you are joking, mr pinansky
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 22:53   Link #23
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
surely you are joking, mr pinansky
Sure, these days it's all digital and automatic with softsubs and a Braille terminal, but back on the day you'd have to send out in the mail and you'd get a stack of cards with like flame of recca on it. Those guys were really dedicated.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 22:13   Link #24
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I did so initially because:

1: When I was studying Japanese during uni and watching fansubs back in 2003 onwards, I often shouted and got pissed off at the inaccurate translations and editing errors that I saw.

2: When I graduated from uni, I wanted to retain and build my Japanese skills, I had plenty of time, so I joined a fansubbing group. It changed my life in more ways than one

3: I appreciated the skills of the other guys in the team (timing, encoding, typesetting), enjoyed learning about these skills (me and encoding = never) and seeing the process it takes to make it from raw to release.

4: I still wanna build enough interpretation skills enough to interpret and translate for natives while I'm still in anime-land. Japanese to English is easy, English to Japanese, still needs working on, I hiss at born bilinguals who understand both sides effortlessly...

5: At present, I translate my own personal one off projects (rather than series), translate officially for a Japanese charity as well as deal in performance arts in both languages.

Fansubbing for me was also being part of a wacky, insane community that I think people (geeks) are too shy to engage or expose their true selves as freely offline. (People can easily write wise cracking comments online, but cannot say them as snarky offline, especially when dealing with females irl, I noticed)

Online, I saw the horrors of the imagination of some of my peers in a level of depravity that otherwise get us all arrested "in real life", but I also saw the kindness that if not most guys hid behind their online persona of acting 'tough'.

IRC has been a fascinating experience that few experience in this crazy world (your average streaming anime teen doesn't even contemplate where the subs come from, let alone know what IRC is).

Also we're all getting older, so when work, relationships and family come into the game, one's priorities in life changes.
Fansubbing then takes a backseat if not total closure.
In my case, learning a language, especially Japanese is a "until death do us part" deal, so I'll be at it for quite some time yet.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 22:23   Link #25
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xland44 View Post
This may not be the correct thread for this question, but from my guess a fansubber is someone that makes unofficial subs. Is there such a thing as a fandubber?
Not only is there such a thing, there's an entire fanbase world about it.
Hell anime conventions (least in the UK) ran panels and events on it.

fandub - Voice Acting Alliance Forums
Was one of the major fandub websites out there. For those wanting to get into acting/voice acting, sound production, scriptwriting, this is where they were (still are) all at

Also if you don't know about Yugioh or Naruto abridged, you need to hit yourself with the rock you've been hiding under

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 13:56   Link #26
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
....Fansubbing for me was also being part of a wacky, insane community that I think people (geeks) are too shy to engage or expose their true selves as freely offline. (People can easily write wise cracking comments online, but cannot say them as snarky offline, especially when dealing with females irl, I noticed)

Online, I saw the horrors of the imagination of some of my peers in a level of depravity that otherwise get us all arrested "in real life", but I also saw the kindness that if not most guys hid behind their online persona of acting 'tough'.

IRC has been a fascinating experience that few experience in this crazy world (your average streaming anime teen doesn't even contemplate where the subs come from, let alone know what IRC is).

Also we're all getting older, so when work, relationships and family come into the game, one's priorities in life changes.

Fansubbing then takes a backseat if not total closure.

In my case, learning a language, especially Japanese is a "until death do us part" deal, so I'll be at it for quite some time yet.
Well said - I have had a similar experience in my brief stint in fansubbing as well (about 3 years long).

For me it began because I was asked for help by some people who wanted to offer anime eps subbed by select groups and in rare, specific formats. After a while I got to know a few people in a few groups and over the years began listening to and asking very occasional questions. Eventually I found myself in similar mindsets as DmonHiro posted above. ^^
Old 2013-06-18, 02:17   Link #27
Kokujin-kun
born black and born poor
*Fansubber

I still can't believe I got into fansubbing because no one else wanted to sub my loli anime ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Kokujin-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 02:25   Link #28
Squiggy
Kyou <3
*Fansubber

Back when the Kanon 2006 BDMV was released, I wanted to have it with ssa subs.
Years later, here I am.
Old 2013-08-10, 17:48   Link #29
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

It started out as a fun thing to do. I was heavily addicted to anime, and me and some people at an anime forum decided to start our own group, to try and learn the ways of fansubbing. Then we eventually joined an existing group since it didn't really work out too well. I'd say it was mostly fanboyism at the time. I hung around a lot at Shinsen and Saizen, but due to me getting into a verbal fight with Vincent, and Sangofe crying for me to join Saizen, that's where I eventually ended up and still reside.

Nowadays I fansub to give back to the community, help out on friend's projects, finish unsubbed or poorly subbed series; pretty much doing it for the greater good. But also to have some fun... and of course to keep my skills intact for whenever something Hajime no Ippo-related airs. ^^
Old 2013-08-10, 19:43   Link #30
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Like many others, it started out with the desire to "give back" to the community. I entered university, gained access to a high-speed internet line (for those days...), and wanted to use it for the fansubbers. It seemed that was what most fansubbers were doing, and I wanted to keep it going.

Working with various fansubbing teams was a lot of fun, and I made quite a few friends through fansubbing. It was also a bit of an ego-stroker, to feel like I was involved in something that people cared about, and that I was a part of the central process to the online anime community.

Eventually I began to feel that there were more important things in life. With a different set of goals and stronger connections to the "offline world," the benefits of feeling like my fansubbing work was important, and enjoying time spent with my fellow fansubbers, simmered down. With that, fansubbing became little more than a chore that ate up time each week. I quit, and my anime viewing drastically decreased afterward as well.

I don't view my time in fansubbing as a waste. Occasionally I wish that I could contribute once more, but it's not possible now.
Old 2013-08-12, 05:08   Link #31
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to blakbunnie27 Send a message via MSN to blakbunnie27
Uh... Since someone linked it to me, I guess I'll post.

Why do you sub?
I translate(d). I don't really sub anymore. But when I do, it's because I'm filling in for someone or because I have nothing better to do, or because I want people to watch something that hasn't been translated yet.

What got you started?
The subs I was watching were bad. I noticed a lot of critical translation errors and realized I could do better. Then I did.

What are your goals in subbing?
People have goals in fansubbing? Though I guess my goal is to never take subbing seriously ever again. So past that stage. Sooooooooooooooooo past that stage.
Old 2013-08-12, 05:14   Link #32
racer9876

Just wanting to know what went into it and then just growing from there. Like Juggen said, to give something back.
racer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 19:28   Link #33
Badskater
Master of the Whip
*Fansubber

Why i sub... 12 years ago, it was for the same reason as you getfresh. Now, maybe because i still have fun with the people i met online like Juggen, Scar, and my group. I don't really care about fame or anything, what i really care about is having fun with nice people i met (for some in real life, others only online sadly)

So, yeah, right now, i only sub for my personal fun, i don't care about anything else. ^.^
Badskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 00:57   Link #34
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

It's a good way to pass the time and it was a choice on a whim. I know, it's interesting.
DreGon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 17:07   Link #35
DeSiBoY
*Fansubber

I started subbing for a couple of personal friends so they could catch up on a show that had fallen behind.

I got such horrid feedback when I threw it up on the web, due primarily to the fact that I was working alone and had not idea what I was doing and was following crappy guides I found on google. Now that I look back, it was sad, I used divxland + ear to time with no qcing at all. My typesetting sense was ugh and the only thing halfway decent was the translation. Still, the feedback pissed me off, so I tried a couple more episodes while trying to address the feedback. Eventually I got fed up and decided to see what I was doing wrong by joining a group.

In the end, I'm glad I did, learned a lot and made some lifelong friends all over the world.

Currently I have stopped subbing anime but I sub the occasional jdrama that I find interesting and only if it remains unsubbed for an extended period of time.
Old 2014-01-08, 20:38   Link #36
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Ha! Oldbies posting on a dead forum about the bygone days. Love it. I’ll toss my hat in.

I started subbing (as a typesetter) mostly because I was already downloading fansubs, so I was enjoying the shows that were coming out, and also because I waned to learn After Effects. I honestly don’t even remember how I became a part of Ishin-Digital and (from there) The Triad, back in 2002/2003. But I had shots from The Triad’s fan sub of Makoto Shinkai’s “Beyond the Clouds: The Place Promised in Our Early Days” in my demo reel coming out of college. They were a big part of the “compositing” section of my demo reel.

Jesus, has it really been 12 years? No wonder this forum is dead.

Anyway, I petered out of The Triad in terms of active involvement probably by ’05 or ’06, mostly because I was busy with school projects. Also as I got older I started to develop more discernment when it came to anime—when I was 18 I’d watch basically anything, but nowadays I’m a lot pickier (and really look back on a lot of the stuff I watched and cringe). But there are still shows I like every once in a while.

Overall, I’m really glad I got into fan subbing when I did. I feel like, back in those years, it was the digi-fansubbing scene that set the stage for the expansion of the commercial anime industry in the US. I don’t think services like Crunchyroll would exist and be viable without the work of the digi-fansubbers of the early 00’s and the VHS fansubbers who came before us in the 90s. And I learned a ton of stuff about digital video processing, encoding, and (obviously) After Effects trickery that still comes in useful today, now that I’m working in video professionally.

And every once in a while, I log into the old Triad crew channel and yell “SUGOI! HIKOUKI!”

Last edited by killmoms; 2014-01-08 at 21:07.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 08:01   Link #37
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

You are from DC too? Wow we lived so close and are both tsers form the same time and never ran into each other at cons lol. And yes this place is dead.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 04:44   Link #38
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
You are from DC too? Wow we lived so close and are both tsers form the same time and never ran into each other at cons lol. And yes this place is dead.
Ohai there!
Currently living in Japan, huh? Nice.

I haven't done fansubbing in years, but I've found myself getting into scanlating for around a year now. I'd neglected my Japanese, especially reading/kanji for many years, so its helped a lot.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-21, 19:10   Link #39
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

*Over 5 years since my inital post here*

Welp, it looks like I'm still fansubbing. Old habits are hard to get rid of. Plus, I still enjoy it enough and enjoy working with my pals at Saizen (and some other people not directly a part of Saizen).