AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-05-01, 05:42   Link #1
Zijian

Checking on re-encoding

I'm thinking of re-encoding some of the series I have so that the sizes can be smaller.

Does H264/AAC offer better quality than DivX? I'm considering that option as it seems that h264/AAC offers better quality at smaller diskspace usage.

And are there any good encoding software or recommended codecs for re-encoding at good quality?

Thanks thanks
Zijian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 05:48   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Anytime you re-encode video you are going to lose quality regardless of what codec you use. Modern video compression relies on lossy formats, so it is unavoidable. The only question is how much quality you lose.

With that said, if quality is less important than file size, then feel free to reencode. Any video can be encoded smaller (with the same quality) if you use h264, but the codec is very difficult for a newbie to handle properly while XviD is pretty easy for a newbie encoder to use and get good results from with only minimal effort.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 09:59   Link #3
Zijian

Is there any good re-encoding program?
Old 2006-05-01, 11:09   Link #4
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
You can use Virtual Dub.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 12:00   Link #5
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
VirtualDub should not be used for h.264/AAC encode. For one, h.264 interface on VirtualDub (vfw interface) is outdated - missing quite a few features. Two, AVI is not capable of handling all the features available on h.264. If you use VirtualDubMod to make MKV, that MKV authoring part on VDM is broken, so that should be avoided as well.

All anime encoders I know of who use h.264 uses x264 command line (with help of batch file or a GUI front end, MeGUI). Then use MKVToolNix or MP4Box to mux the video and audio to mkv or mp4. But that's not a setup for faint of heart.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 22:16   Link #6
Zijian

Ok, cool.

The main thing was to sort of compress my anime files. Seeing that mp4 seems to offer same quality at lower hard disk space, compressing my current anime over to mp4 seems to be a good idea.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 2006-05-01, 22:32   Link #7
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
just a note : recompressing to mp4 doesn't give you an automatic size reduction, especially when you keep the original quality. Also, if you use h.264, it's virtually the same if you use .mp4 or .mkv as the final format.

With mp4, you'll be stuck with either mp3 or aac for audio, where as you can use other format (namely ogg vorbis among many others) with mkv.

(to add some confusion, XviD is also a part of mpeg-4 standard, but I won't go too much details on it.)
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote