Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-16, 08:21   Link #721
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So... um... did anyone else get a little teary eyed when Mutta looked back at that girl in the pink bike to say "Thank you"?

... anyone?
I got teary-eyed a couple minutes before Hoshiza dropped the news, knowing it was coming, and pretty much kept it up through the ending. The big moment for me was when Hoshika said "you're one of the lucky ones" and Mutta's realized the implications of that for both of them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 08:55   Link #722
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I liked the pink bicycle in particular because it really signifies just how much hope Mutta has that, somehow, things will go his way despite his fluctuating luck leading up to Hoshikoa's very personal announcement. He wants to believe so much that something or someone's out there to give nice guys like him a fighting chance against people he thinks are more qualified.

Whether or not luck was really the major determinant in his selection, well, you guys be the judges.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 09:53   Link #723
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ha! I knew Mizoguchi wouldn't pass! He simply didn't have what it takes to be a good astronaut. He's too self-centered. His reaction in the face of failure (for the first time in his life?) was dignified, and I enjoyed the thought he had for Kenji. While the two men rarely saw eye to eye, they did respect each other.

The scene in the park couldn't have been done better. Mutta trying to fight back his tears was such a powerful moment. Congratulation!

The preview indicates Nitta has passed as well. Great.

Quote:
So... um... did anyone else get a little teary eyed when Mutta looked back at that girl in the pink bike to say "Thank you"?

... anyone?
Actually, that scene was the one who relieved the emotional tension created by the previous scene for me. I burst out laughing when I saw the girl's glare, and it felt good.
Old 2012-12-16, 10:21   Link #724
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The expression Mutta gave when those words finally sunk in really just said it all. Gotta hand it to that guy. It's been a long and slow journey and sometimes a bit too slow for my liking, but you can't deny the sincerity.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 11:07   Link #725
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

... anyone?
No, I got teary eyed at the moment that's my new avatar.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 11:50   Link #726
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm still teary-eyed. I guess it's the result of being so invested in Mutta for so long even though the outcome was never really in doubt.

Nanba oto-san sure has a wacky collection of t-shirts. Most of them are in English, too. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a tribute to the Post-It Note before.

I hope we'll get to see the other female astronaut a bit more in the remainder of the show. Of the five winners, she's the one we know the least about.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 12:28   Link #727
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was really beautiful. Really glad that finally we got to see Mutta receiving the good news. It's only fitting he was told in person and his reaction was really great. Also liked how his mother teared up as well at seeing him finally reach that goal.

Certainly we've known that Mutta was going to make it for a while. But still just having it confirmed and seeing how much it affected him was just great. It's been a long road, but the elder brother finally is stepping into that world and can start moving forward.

It's still a long way to the stars, but this was a massive leap forward. I'm sure it meant a lot as well seeing both those brothers making it to this point.

As to Mizoguchi...it was expected. Certainly he's accomplished a lot and has a lot of skills, but what he was lacking lead to his failure here. In the end never learned how to rely on others or respond to the opinions of others. Always at the top and always one of the best. I'm sure if he really wants to he can make it in another try. But first will have to try and learn how to work with others.
Old 2012-12-16, 16:24   Link #728
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm still teary-eyed. I guess it's the result of being so invested in Mutta for so long even though the outcome was never really in doubt.
That's true. We have become so invested in him that when he gets told he's one of the chosen (even when it was never in doubt for us), we feel for him and with him. That relief and happiness just takes over.

This episode got to me as well. I tearup at that scene of Hoshika congratulating Mutta and telling him he is one of the lucky ones.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 18:23   Link #729
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Finally, way to go Mutta! Like how Hoshioka told him in person.
Old 2012-12-16, 19:03   Link #730
Dop
Mmmm....

The thing I really liked was how when Mutta was told he'd been accepted, they just cut the soundtrack and carried the whole scene on Mutta's facial expressions as he came to terms with the news.
A lesser director might have gone for Big Music, or over-emoting, but this was subtle and wonderful.

I'm not ashamed to admit I had tears running down my face at the time.

I loved the whole symbolism of the plaster that tied past Mutta with present Mutta, and also tied in to Hibito and others on the moonbase struggling with low gravity and low ceilings.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:05   Link #731
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They've done that with every big emotional payoff so far. No music, long shots and cuts to Mutta's face. Watanabe is proving himself to be an elite director - he's had a great year.
Old 2012-12-16, 19:25   Link #732
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As cheesy and cliche as it might sound, somehow I don't think I'll be satisfied until I see both brothers standing side by side in space suits looking back at earth from the stars...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 20:55   Link #733
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Ahahah! As soon as Mutta was told that he had passed, I waved my hands around and cheered like there was no tomorrow.

I think i may have spoiled who were the other people who had passed though by watching the preview for the next episode I couldn't help myself, I wanted to see more and was eager to know who else had passed. I can say that I am happy with the results

It was all done just so well, and Mutta's facial expression was simply satisfying, the true face of happiness.
Old 2012-12-23, 08:33   Link #734
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

Great episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 08:57   Link #735
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Dammit, this show is gutting me every week. That last mail from Ya-san...
Old 2012-12-23, 09:56   Link #736
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That last mail was indeed powerful. Lots of things to love about this episode: Mizoguchi's acknowledgment of the results, Fukuda's return and his reaction, Furuya's mails, etc...

It's a shame Mizoguchi has to go away right when I started liking him. He behaved like a decent person these past two episodes. This adventure was a very valuable experience for him as well, he learned a lot and grew as a human being. He'll definitely make it next time.
Old 2012-12-23, 18:21   Link #737
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It was a great episode. Seeing all these characters reacting to making it or even not making it. The mails were great and that 11th mail really did have impact to it. Just shows how so much growth happened getting to this point. Series did a great job redeeming characters like Furuya and even Mizoguchi. It leaves me wishing them the best of luck for their next try.

Of course Mizoguchi I felt needed this failure. He really only could learn from what he was doing wrong by failing.

Some fun reactions like Hibito smacking his head into the ceiling again. No surprise considering how happy he was.
Old 2012-12-23, 18:55   Link #738
cyth
Banned

I still think Serika didn't deserve the spot, but whatever.

Yasushi is such a tsundere. I'm glad he finally opened up the way he did. At least he was believable.

I felt kind of bad for Fukuda and the others who were at the conference. I mean, I know that they are happy for their colleagues on some level, having gone through the same sort of trials, but I still think it's a bit surreal for them to see them off to a bright future like that, while some of them have probably lost their jobs because they wanted a shot at becoming an astronaut. Quitting your job like that is hard to recover from in Japan. Fukuda's congratulatory smile wasn't convincing, neither was Mutta accepting it. The awkwardness of it all was a bit disturbing. If I were in the losers' shoes, I'd just accept the loss and move on, or try again. I don't know, maybe I'm just a bad sport.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 19:31   Link #739
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Dammit, this show is gutting me every week. That last mail from Ya-san...
Oh god yes. That was wonderful. I did laugh like a loon on Ya-san's email about how Mutta had been looking at Serika and now everyone knows.

It's good to see there are no bad losers here, and at the very least I'm sure Mizoguchi will try again and be more of a team player.

On top of this we saw another mysterious flash on the moon.

This is one of those shows I have an emotional reaction to on a regular basis. It's that well written and done.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 01:29   Link #740
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I still think Serika didn't deserve the spot, but whatever.

Yasushi is such a tsundere. I'm glad he finally opened up the way he did. At least he was believable.

I felt kind of bad for Fukuda and the others who were at the conference. I mean, I know that they are happy for their colleagues on some level, having gone through the same sort of trials, but I still think it's a bit surreal for them to see them off to a bright future like that, while some of them have probably lost their jobs because they wanted a shot at becoming an astronaut. Quitting your job like that is hard to recover from in Japan. Fukuda's congratulatory smile wasn't convincing, neither was Mutta accepting it. The awkwardness of it all was a bit disturbing. If I were in the losers' shoes, I'd just accept the loss and move on, or try again. I don't know, maybe I'm just a bad sport.
You feel bad, but you have to realize their careers are still going to be set. I think the only one who took the exam with no career that led them to take the test was Mutta. Anyway reminds me of the FSOT.. really helped me out. though I didn't get to become a FSO right away. Quitting your job is tough if you're a salaryman. Most of these guys already worked for JAXA, are scientist with published materials, etc etc. soo they all were able to get job offers for simply progressing within the exams. The game is a lot different once you have a master degree or PHD and you have published materials or in a field that you have a reputation in. These guys aren't playing the same game that most of Japanese society is. It's the same in the US too. Once you get to that level of education and that level of professional experience, you will rebound faster. Publishing things, invited to make speeches, etc etc. it pays the bills in a lot of ways.. Not too worried about the guys who didn't become astronauts on this show.

Anyway this episode was great. that press conference, man. Really good. This show has literally allowed me to survive my first three semesters of grad school. got peace corps coming up. Very close to my dreams and continuing my dream of traveling the world.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen