AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-03, 13:56   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

War Thunder

Hello AS. This thread is about the FTP game that has been recently Greenlit by Steam.

I found it through Steam and it's a pretty interesting game, it's a WW2 Airplane simulator (VERY similar to other simulators like Il-2) And it's key aspect is multiplayer.

It is extremely addictive to go progressing through ranks and getting better planes but in the end it doesn't matter what plane you have as long as you have skill. Biplanes often take down other people.

Arturia_Polaris is my name, in case anyone feels like contacting me in this game.

Highly recommended on my part. 9/10

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 12:04   Link #2
freshoutofthepan

Well, I quite like the game, except for the irritating joystick wobbling, geh. I usually try not to use mouse on flight sims, so I'm hoping they'll fix this someday, or joystick users are gonna be at a disadvantage. Even on the bomb sight, just a bit of yaw and the reticule goes all over the place. D :
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 17:06   Link #3
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

~thread necromancy~

I just signed up for this game the other day. Had some laptop crashing issues with it whenever I went to test flight or battle, however with the release of patch 1.31, those problems seem to have gone away.

I've already completed most of the training missions, and survived my first battle with two kills (even though I have to play with ultra low graphics ). However, I'm really interested in how the ground and naval units will factor into the gameplay once they become player controllable.

Also, I somehow got Hagiri's A5M4 (a premium plane) for free!

Endless "Claude" Soul
Old 2013-07-02, 06:30   Link #4
freshoutofthepan

This game is absolutely beautiful on Movie settings, the detail is really amazing, especially the terrain; have a look if you can!

And also, it seems like War Thunder's getting some healthy competition from World of Warplanes, though I'm not sure if they can match up to the kind of polish War Thunder has..
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 04:24   Link #5
Desu
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I have been playing for around a week despite some pretty annoying graphical issues with ati/crossfire. I'm pretty much just sticking to arcade mode for now and trying out the different countries and planes.

One random tip for anyone signing up is that the nicknames are case sensitive ie Desu, desu, and deSu are all considered unique. You can also change nickname for free through your profile page on the website.
Old 2014-01-01, 06:43   Link #6
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

With 1.37...I can effectively say this game is dead (for Axis players anyway) ugh

Germans get shafted hard with Bf-109s that overheat after 3 mins of WEP (which is historically inaccurate)...meaning goodluck using superior engine power to energy fight now. FW-190s I hear aren't too bad but they still suffer the same cooling issues

Japan's long awaited Hayates are given a barely functioning flight model...to the point it's more fun to fly Zero-sens. Shiden Kai is still not given proper FM

And the matchmaking and RP gain.....terrible....

Well, I finally dropped it and went back to more important/enjoyable stuff. Thank you Gaijin for that at least
Old 2014-01-01, 09:45   Link #7
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Personally, I really don't care for the new tier system.
Old 2014-01-01, 11:24   Link #8
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Wait you mean that the FW-190 overheats???

Historically it had some kind of water cooling that prevented any type of overheating and allowed you to wep for a LOT more of time.

What...

Old 2014-01-01, 18:05   Link #9
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Wait you mean that the FW-190 overheats???

Historically it had some kind of water cooling that prevented any type of overheating and allowed you to wep for a LOT more of time.

What...
Apparently it does...not to the extent of F-4 but....yes...

Your historical 10 min WEP is gone...you can even overheat at 90% now

Quote:
Personally, I really don't care for the new tier system.

Admin stuff like this is really what destroys the game. Even if all planes perform correctly, it now takes literally hundreds of games to get anything

And they try to distract attention with ground and naval forces while ignoring or floundering in trying to fix their 1.37 issues...ugh. screw your damn tanks...give some semblance of fun back into the game dammit

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2014-01-01 at 22:03.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 08:00   Link #10
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Anyway, the one good thing to have come out of the ground forces part

MOAR ROBBAZ

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-01-11, 16:19   Link #11
aldw

One of the things I love the most about the WT ground forces is the joint air and ground force operations, which really adds more variety to the gameplay, along with the larger maps and more realistic combat at those ranges too.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 03:06   Link #12
aldw

Some new updates to CBT this week with new map and some new tanks:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-17, 06:25   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Latest tweak just killed progression even more I hear...
Old 2014-01-17, 11:57   Link #14
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Honestly Gaijin can you stop messing up the game

Old 2014-01-30, 23:29   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Heard about some modifications done to Type-99 20mm cannons and went to take my Zeroes out after months of not playing

*Destroy's P-47's elevator while P-47 was in a near vertical dive dogfighting me. Sees P-47 level out way above the water, go on to fly normally for 10 minutes, kill two team mates on the airfield before crashing and having AAA credited for kill (not by me)*

Resumes not touching War Thunder again

Really, a plane without elevators going in a straight downward plunge manages to recover and fly straight and turn normally like nothing. And P-47 is heavy as hell.

Meanwhile Axis planes die normally like any actual plane but invincible US and Russian ones need to be literally disintegrated to die.
Old 2014-01-31, 09:59   Link #16
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

It's like battleground europe all over again.

Old 2014-03-25, 16:41   Link #17
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Started this about six weeks ago
Sole reason for me playing are 2 things: Spiffies and the WWII US carrier planes (Wildcat, Hellcat, Corsair
They just invoke some kind of boyish admiration in me)

I couldn't get used to the World of Warplanes mouse movements, no matter what I tried,
and going for the planes that I wanted would take a lot of time
(I tried again after a few weeks of WT, but was put off by how amateurish everything looked and felt)

So far, I'm enjoying myself
Sure, I get miffed at the coincidentally almost always Russian planes that score one-hit kills on me
Or the loss of tail control hit by an enemy who I just pumped two mags of ammo in his without effect
But I guess Arcade is just that
added that my crews aren't that well trained yet, I still manage a nice round with 5 planes to use

I also like the attempt at increased levels of realism (though I lack the joystick/rudder and headtracker for serious play, ...perhaps in the future)
Funny that in full sim-battle, takeoff makes me more nervous than suddenly being hit and followed by an enemy
and for some odd masochistic reason, getting in a spin excites me, not mentioning the joy of saving my ass out of it

Luckily I'm not hardcore to shorten my life with the venomous drama that some seem to carry towards the (mostly Arcade) game,
especially for a game where I have invested nothing but a little time in

I think I'll be enjoying it for a while
Old 2014-03-25, 21:42   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Started this about six weeks ago
Sole reason for me playing are 2 things: Spiffies and the WWII US carrier planes (Wildcat, Hellcat, Corsair
They just invoke some kind of boyish admiration in me)

I couldn't get used to the World of Warplanes mouse movements, no matter what I tried,
and going for the planes that I wanted would take a lot of time
(I tried again after a few weeks of WT, but was put off by how amateurish everything looked and felt)

So far, I'm enjoying myself
Sure, I get miffed at the coincidentally almost always Russian planes that score one-hit kills on me
Or the loss of tail control hit by an enemy who I just pumped two mags of ammo in his without effect
But I guess Arcade is just that
added that my crews aren't that well trained yet, I still manage a nice round with 5 planes to use

I also like the attempt at increased levels of realism (though I lack the joystick/rudder and headtracker for serious play, ...perhaps in the future)
Funny that in full sim-battle, takeoff makes me more nervous than suddenly being hit and followed by an enemy
and for some odd masochistic reason, getting in a spin excites me, not mentioning the joy of saving my ass out of it

Luckily I'm not hardcore to shorten my life with the venomous drama that some seem to carry towards the (mostly Arcade) game,
especially for a game where I have invested nothing but a little time in

I think I'll be enjoying it for a while
Arcade is very UFO-ish

RB is....marginally better. But those Soviet Yak-line planes will one shot anything if they get proper line up. They don't suffer the real life damage / instability to themselves from the recoil of their cannons

Still as a Corsair you should be able to beat 95% of the opposition (talking about RB. Arcade is mainly down to luck and careful target selection in surviving the mass brawls)
Old 2014-03-29, 06:23   Link #19
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Well, currently working solely on the Spitfire line
unfortunately, the Mk Vc's price (being 7 times the price of the next in line)
is slowing down my Spiffy research

Decided to put my earnings of Golden week (which I didn't play enough) into pilot training,
Which I must say did improve my abilities

If all goes well, I may be getting a HOTAS for the game
Old 2014-04-18, 12:30   Link #20
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Just concluded battle on Sicily map with my Bf-109 F4. Team got wiped out except for another 217-J. Enemy had 4 planes....1 B-25 bombing objectives, 2 P-40s, 1 Corsair.

Managed to wipe them out using superior team work....Overwatching from altitude while Do-217 hunts for the bomber, killing the P-40 that came after the 217 after we took down the bomber and baiting the Corsair and other P-40 for the 217's guns. Wouldn't have been possible if they didn't fix the F4 flight model to give it its correct turning ability.

One of the nice things about 1.39. Other good things is the lowered RP cost of new planes and the fixed FW-190 heating issue. Shiden-kai also now acts closer to how it was in real life (mid-altitude turn fighter with good speed, climb and decent BnZ capability for a Japanese plane)

Bad things, Shiden-kai costs 70K to repair now (like O__o) and it is slightly slower than it should be. Turn also not as good as real life despite its Fowler flaps. Hayate FM slightly better but still can't turn for shit and elevator locks up for no reason still.

worst thing....P38 Lightning is now horribly undertiered...like its Hellcat and Corsair counterparts....So now everyone spams P38G and rapes Tier 2 and 3 battles....America really has the most advantages despite what their apologists claim. I should be facing it in my Antons instead of A6M2s....

Tags
ftp, war thunder