AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-06-28, 16:13   Link #21
elusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk View Post
are the roots still making music? =o

When i was in middle school and into rap, the roots were one of my favourite bands. Really soul-full music.

Heh, when i came into this thread i thought it was gonna be about japanese rap artists like def-row, or sorta like flo, but i guess they are more popish.

As for my matured opinion of rap. Usually it stands for everything i hate. Alot of oldschool rap was about being good at rapping, hanging out, or about nothing at all! Which was cool and fun. Now i find alot of it is just egotistic ignorance. I'm not a fan of nickelback or whoever made this song, but i love this quote: "if everyone learned and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride... then we'd see the day when nobody died." It's not true in entirety, but in theory and everything i hear in rap is saying "hey im better than you, and stop rapping cause this is my scene, blah blah I'm an idiot." It's all the ignorance that makes me glad im on the south side of detroit river (Canadian side).

Sorry i got carried away, but it angers me because pop appears to be in the process of being taken over by rap, which just makes japanese music that much more appealing.
the roots put out an album last year.

the dumb stuff you hear in rap is only in the mainstream. turn off mtv and the radio and there's plenty of great artists out there. you just gotta put in some effort to find them. guys like lupe fiasco or little brother are great.

in the next two years, a lot of the ignorance will be eliminated because it's no longer selling.
elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 17:08   Link #22
Westlo
Lets be reality

Roots are suppose to be releasing another album this year on that Def Jam side label Jay-Z made.

I like Lupe like a lot of people here, I just can't say I like his album.

Quote:
in the next two years, a lot of the ignorance will be eliminated because it's no longer selling.
I'm sure someone said that in 2004, and 2002 and 2000 and 1998 and well you get the idea.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 06:40   Link #23
Sadijah
Comptroller

I knew I'd find something worth coming back for.

*Applauds*

Accolades to the author of this thread. Hip Hop isn't dead until we the fans say so.
Sadijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 22:14   Link #24
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonram91 View Post
I've been looking for a bit and i can't seem to find too many good rap love songs. Does anybody know of any good ones?
j-live - the 4th third - this here is a great love song. it's very realistic. i think too many hip hop songs are overgeneralized. this is sincere and clearly about an actual girl. i think almost all guys can probably relate to this.

lupe fiasco - sunshine - this song is "cute". it's on lupe's food & liquor album. i mean it's the opposite of the above song, very general but it's nice and poetic. i like it better than common - the light and pharoahe monch - the light which are very similiar (haha, all 3 with similar titles). you could check those too though because they are cool.

ghostface killah - camay - this song is pretty cool. just has ghostface, capadonna and raekwon doing their hip hop love ballad thing over a haunting rza beat. it's hilarious that this and wildflower are on the same album.

methodman - all i need - you probably already know this song. this has to be the essential east coast love song.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 04:12   Link #25
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls - song is ok on my list

(notes: with all the rules in this thread, the name of the thread already expresses a biased opinion about hip hop / rap)
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 05:35   Link #26
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

I actually just copied the name of the thread from the Narutofan forums without giving much thought to it.

I mainly wanted a thread for current listeners and newcomers alike to discuss hip hop and rap without all the pointless bashing.

And yes, my tastes in hip hop at the moment are rather biased hence my posts regarding the music are going to reflect my current position on the condition of hip hop.
Old 2007-07-20, 21:02   Link #27
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So what are some standout hiphop albums of 2007 so far? I haven't really listened any new rap this year. Just been listening to Lupe Fiasco, Ghost Face, Subtle, a little bit of Sage and Tech n9ne lately.

Check out Cool Calm Pete and Babbletron guys. His stuff isn't exactly new but he's got some pretty cool tracks. I especially recommend Babbletron's Space Tech Banana Clip It's some hardcore nerd rap somewhat similar to MF Doom. I think you can check it out on their myspace page, thats where I stubbled across them.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 12:37   Link #28
Westlo
Lets be reality

Nothing really good has come out in the mainstream or underground, T.I had the potential to deliver a pretty decent mainstream album but a lot of weak tracks were on it. Help Is Coming is the easy standout track.

Common's new album has leaked on the internet, I'm going to buy it though so my opinions on it will be rather late.
Old 2007-07-21, 14:36   Link #29
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Releases of 2007 that I felt worth checking out:
Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Canibus - For Whom The Beat Tolls
Pharoahe Monch - Desire

solid but not so WOW release:
Common - Finding Forever

not too many releases this year, but there's still time left so we'll see
Old 2007-07-22, 04:47   Link #30
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
This may be just a rumor but I heard Deltron 3030 is going to release Deltron Event II this year as well.
Old 2007-07-22, 19:27   Link #31
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
Releases of 2007 that I felt worth checking out:
Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Canibus - For Whom The Beat Tolls
Pharoahe Monch - Desire

solid but not so WOW release:
Common - Finding Forever

not too many releases this year, but there's still time left so we'll see
if you like bcc, sean price's latest mixtape called "master p" (no relation to no limit) is pretty good. another good mixtape is royce 5'9's "bar exam". terminology also has a new mixtape out but i'm too lazy to look at it.

i haven't been into kweli for a while but i just heard half of eardrum and i think it's pretty good.

monch's desire is way too weird for me but ironically i'm feeling the canibus album which is even weirder ( @ the female news anchor, cosmonauts, and 2(!?) 400 bar songs).

finding forever is straight but disappointing.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 22:04   Link #32
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
This may be just a rumor but I heard Deltron 3030 is going to release Deltron Event II this year as well.

I will be a very happy man then. One of my fav rap albums of all time.

On another note IGN had an article about some 07 rap albums to check out. One of their suggestions really stood out to me, Sharkey & C-Rayz Walz are...Monster Maker. I listened to a couple tracks off their myspace and was blown away. The album doesn't come out till the 7/31 though.

Check it out. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=89420221
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 20:13   Link #33
Medic
Dubstep - DZ

Top 10 MCs according to MTV (right now)

1. Lil Wayne
2. T.I.
3. The Game
4. Andre 3000
5. Kanye West
6. Young Jeezy
7. Jay-Z
8. 50 Cent
9. Common
10. Jim Jones

Thoughts?? I'd say it was pretty accurate
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-30, 20:53   Link #34
Da_truth

Rap is the best thing to hit the world...Besides cable...

And Jay-z is the best rapper alive.
Da_truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 04:21   Link #35
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
Top 10 MCs according to MTV (right now)

1. Lil Wayne
2. T.I.
3. The Game
4. Andre 3000
5. Kanye West
6. Young Jeezy
7. Jay-Z
8. 50 Cent
9. Common
10. Jim Jones

Thoughts?? I'd say it was pretty accurate
MTV is absolute TRASH

Those people absolutely DO NOT DESERVE to be on that list.
50 Cent especially is absolutely whack and needs to be shot and killed.
How the living hell is Rakim not on that list? The god MC?
The only person I can almost maybe see myself agreeing with is Common.
WTF at Jim Jones at number 10?

my top 10 in random order:
Rakim
KRS-One
Nas
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G. Rap
Keith Murray
Pharoahe Monch
Guru (GangStarr)
Metal Face Doom
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

Top 10 Honorable mentions:
Devin The Dude
Sadat X
Percee P
Kool Moe Dee
Big Punisher
Common
Chuck D
Ras Kass
GZA
Aceyalone

Up and Coming:
Lupe Fiasco
Tonedeff
Iron Solomon
The Saurus
Illmaculate
The Emcee (Jin Tha Emcee)
Insight

These lists aren't perfectly accurate, as I spent a great deal of time debating who I should put where and whatnot and I still am debating.
Old 2007-07-31, 06:49   Link #36
Westlo
Lets be reality

Even though I think that list is a joke you do realize that it is talking about right now as well as from a commercial point of view? What exactly have Rakim, KRS and Kane done lately? Kool G Rap is past his prime as he got outdone by Young Chris of all people on a track lately.

I also have no idea how you can put that monotone waste of beats Guru on your list and not have Andre 3000 and Scarface. Big Punisher and no Jay-Z? You do realize if he had lived he would've been just as commercial as Jay-Z and I'll still take Reasonable Doubt over Capital Punishment even though both were classics.. no song on RD was as bad as Punish Me...

Ras Kass has been an utter disappointment since his first album, isn't he signed (or trying to be) with G-Unit now? Tonedeff has been up and coming for what the last 6 years?

Last edited by Westlo; 2007-07-31 at 09:56.
Old 2007-07-31, 08:17   Link #37
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
No MF Doom?!? ....pffff!!

Old 2007-07-31, 08:53   Link #38
Gul

Im surpirse no one has mentioned Blackilious, Lyrics Born or any of the other groups/colaberations associated with the Quannum Projects. I would highly recommend.

And for those who like to go back a few years - Pete Rock & CL Smooth. "They Reminisce Over You" is a definate favourite.
Gul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 09:58   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul View Post
And for those who like to go back a few years - Pete Rock & CL Smooth. "They Reminisce Over You" is a definate favourite.
I've always preferred them to Gangstarr, shame Pete Rock just lost it, CL Smooth really got into Pete in an interview a few years ago not long after Nas said something about him. (too scared too leave his house, is a recluse.. something like that).
Old 2007-07-31, 11:00   Link #40
Ziv

Quote:
2. If you're one of the skeptics to the rap genre, please, politely tell us what it is about the genre that you don't like, what you look for in a song, and what you're currently listening to so that the rap veterans have an idea as to what to aim for.
I found this post in another forum and it pretty much sums up my current opinion on rap.

Quote:
Because I have to listen to dumbass middle-upper class suburban white kids sing this;

Straight To The Bank lyrics by 50 Cent.
<Lyrics>

He says,

"I ain't even gotta rap now life is made
Said I ain't even gotta rap, I'm filthy man"

Then he goes on to "laugh" straight to the bank.

What it means is this; "Hahah, I've made millions and millions of dollars from you dumbass white boys buying my shit so now I'm just rapping about how much money I have. And you'll still give me more money to listen to me make fun of you. Thank God for all the dumbasses in the world".
I honestly haven't heard any rap that was of any lyrical depth at all. (and I spent three hours a day on a bus during high school with a driver who insisted on playing hip-hop and rap) I watched the intro to Samurai Champloo and honestly broke out laughing when I heard them use the words "dove" and "tear" together in a rap song.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote