Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2009-03-19, 07:23   Link #521
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
There is no manga. So I am sorry, you just got pwned again.

- Tak
Not really sicne there was no manga I don't have to eat my words :P
Now if their was a graphic novel or such.... :P
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 07:26   Link #522
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Now if their was a graphic novel or such.... :P
A graphic novel is commonly known as... manga...

And canon is hybrid, so get used to it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 07:39   Link #523
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
A graphic novel is commonly known as... manga...

And canon is hybrid, so get used to it.

- Tak
At least you admit its hybrid. *nods like he thinks he won the imaginary argument*

I am getting use to the idea maybe another series and I will finally accept it... though I would not mind a re telling of M7....
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 07:49   Link #524
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
At least you admit its hybrid. *nods like he thinks he won the imaginary argument*
*Sigh*

What are you talking about.

Quote:
Yeah, as I have mentioned before, DYRL is a supplement to the TV series, where certain aspects were revised. The 'canon' is best described as a hybrid of the two.
I stated this posts ago. There is no argument.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-03-19, 08:53   Link #525
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Of course, there is a manga: Macross The First. It's being published right now, in the magazine Macross Ace, by Haruhiko Mikimoto.
Wish someone would scan and translate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As said before.... the scene we see at the beginning of the first episodes, showing Breetai holding Minmay, while Misa, Ikaru, Roy and Kaifun look on. Thatīs from DYRL, because neither Minmay, Kaifun or Roy were captured by the Zentraedi in the series.Which makes that aspect of the series un-canon.
And, as I said before: visual cues. That image is so much more striking than whatever they could come up from the TV series... doesn't really change or subdue continuity, much. But I'm fine with Tak's point of considering it a hybrid continuity, if you take in all the meltrandi and zentradi aspects, as well...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 10:56   Link #526
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And, as I said before: visual cues. That image is so much more striking than whatever they could come up from the TV series... doesn't really change or subdue continuity, much. But I'm fine with Tak's point of considering it a hybrid continuity, if you take in all the meltrandi and zentradi aspects, as well...
As long as you admit that DYRL is not "only a movie", but has supplied various materials which are now considered canon.

And as to amend my worry with the Frontier movie, maybe Kawatrolli gives Alto to Ranka and then simply declares that "official continuity".
Old 2009-03-19, 13:01   Link #527
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Okay. Please, anyone still confused, go to The Macross Compendium. They are probably the only source actually sanctioned by Big West and outside the production companies that compiles a shitload of information on all things Macross. Any contradictions are up for grabs.

And they also state that all subsequent chronology would be following the TV series, but with the visual and design cues taken from the movie. Actually, I kinda remember a quote of The Hory Froating Head going along like "The real Macross is out there. If I tell the story like a long TV series, it looks one way, and if I tell it as a movie, it's organized some other way" or some such... so, I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder, really.

And, sure, DYRL can be considered just a movie in-continuity (they even added a scene with Max and Milia's wedding, for the benefit of M7's portrayal of exactly such film). It's just a matter of personal perception, now. To the Macross populace, the movie is probably a hell of a lot more well-known than the real facts, so...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 14:48   Link #528
bishopcruz

Any scans of Macross the First out yet? I can't find the tankobon ANYWHERE. For the little information I can find it looks to be what I've been hoping for, the mix of SDF and DYRL that might finally nail down just what the frak the actual continuity of Macross is for these later things.

The fact that we need to do this in the first place is a bit infuriating though. Yeesh.
bishopcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 23:53   Link #529
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I think I've asked about this in another thread. Was it the Macross Universe thread? I'm not so sure, and I don't have time to dig around.

Tak, when you meant two story lines, do you mean the other was in a series of games and novels(?) that followed DYRL continuity, where Earth was again threatened by two succeeding fleets of Zentrans and Meltrans, who were also at odds with each other? Well, that was what got me into asking about canon back then, because I first thought that the Zentran vs Meltran thing was never canon and was just some story-telling tool for the in-universe movie DYRL.

Spoiler for tl;dr: zentran vs. meltran in the macross universe:

Really confusing. But that's just how to resolve the place of Meltran vs. Zentran in the overall Macross universe. Thre's still the question on what really happened in Space War 1 and who really are Hikaru, Minmay, Misa, etc. And now here comes a quote from Kawamori himself saying that the true story is out there. Jeez.

Maybe for the events of Space War 1 and the characters of its key personalities we could think of DYRL as the mythological take (idealized) and SDFM as the historical account (which could still be off because history is limited by its witnesses, writers, documents and artifacts).
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 00:07   Link #530
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Tak, when you meant two story lines, do you mean the other was in a series of games and novels(?) that followed DYRL continuity, where Earth was again threatened by two succeeding fleets of Zentrans and Meltrans, who were also at odds with each other? Well, that was what got me into asking about canon back then, because I first thought that the Zentran vs Meltran thing was never canon and was just some story-telling tool for the in-universe movie DYRL.
Actually, make that 3. Two Zentran, one Meltran. Both Zentran fleets being brought back by a certain backstabber.

In any case, yeah, the games and radio shows were meant to follow the DYRL continuity, thus leading to Macross II. The original canon had been tweaked to the point now it accepts both TV and movie as its canon, especially the visuals.

Nonetheless, the conflict is not Zentran vs. Meltran. That was only the movie. Furthermore, Klan refers to herself as a Zentrandi.

However, Zentrandi's real enemy, the Supervision Army is still a large, looming threat. We have yet to see them, but they are rumored to be more powerful than your standard Zent fleet, and may be in the millions as well.

- Tak

Old 2009-03-20, 12:21   Link #531
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Come to think of it, that backstabber wasn't in the movie. Or maybe he's there but didn't play a significant enough role to be considered the backstabber that he was in the series. LOL more confusion. Kawamori sure knows how to troll even back then.

So for you, the conflict among the Protoculture is still of unknown cause? Oh well, I do prefer the men vs. women thing. Do you know that the only other mecha anime* I enjoyed so far** is Vandread? And that was before I knew of DYRL. I was gladdened when I learned that Macross did have a take on the men vs. women trope. Somehow it strengthened my idea that I enjoyed Vandread because it reminded me of Macross.

* Just as Macross is not just mecha but a love story and a musical, I still doubt if Vandread really is mecha. I feel like calling it a harem anime... IN SPACE! WITH ROBOTS!
** I say "so far" because I really haven't forayed into Gundam yet. Surely there must be something I'll like there.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 13:16   Link #532
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
However, Zentrandi's real enemy, the Supervision Army is still a large, looming threat. We have yet to see them, but they are rumored to be more powerful than your standard Zent fleet, and may be in the millions as well.
I thought the Supervision Army were the forces consisting of and used by the Protodeviln (mind controlled or voluntary) in which case we saw a portion of the S.A. in Macross 7.
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 15:00   Link #533
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
I thought the Supervision Army were the forces consisting of and used by the Protodeviln (mind controlled or voluntary) in which case we saw a portion of the S.A. in Macross 7.
Those were Terran troops, which were mind-controlled ( or taken over ) by the Protodevlin.
Old 2009-03-20, 18:53   Link #534
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
So for you, the conflict among the Protoculture is still of unknown cause? Oh well, I do prefer the men vs. women thing. Do you know that the only other mecha anime* I enjoyed so far** is Vandread? And that was before I knew of DYRL. I was gladdened when I learned that Macross did have a take on the men vs. women trope. Somehow it strengthened my idea that I enjoyed Vandread because it reminded me of Macross.
There is no unknown. Protoculture was destroyed by its own infighting, and that occurred after they sealed the Protodevlin.

Their demise left two offspring, the Zentradi and the Supervision Army, both pretty much programmed to wipe each other off.

And they were still at it when they encountered the humans.

What the movie did was to do away with the Supervision Army, and replaced them with the Meltlandi instead. Thus mankind received the gunship not from the Supervision Army, but from the Meltrans.

On the other hand, Vandread itself is actually quite funny. It was as if it made a parody out of Macross.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-02, 20:57   Link #535
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Is Alto 16 - > 17 or 17 - > 18?

I read in some area's that he's 16 then 17, But then i saw in episode.. 4? That he was 17 and his birthday is in episode 11 which makes him 17 -> 18?

Edit: In general Anybody for certain know all of their ages?
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 23:16   Link #536
Tak

Alto was 17 when the series started, this was indicated by the bridge bunnies during his first initiation into SMS. He turned 18 following his birthday around episode 10.

Ranka we know is 16.

Sheryl's age is unknown, although it is believed that she is 17.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-02, 23:32   Link #537
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Alto was 17 when the series started, this was indicated by the bridge bunnies during his first initiation into SMS. He turned 18 following his birthday around episode 10.

Ranka we know is 16.

Sheryl's age is unknown, although it is believed that she is 17.

- Tak
Sheryl's age isn't unknown at all: it's in the Official Fan Book. But yes, she's 17.

Alto, however, it says went from 16 to 17 (his birthday is July 27, 2042).
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 23:35   Link #538
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Sheryl's age isn't unknown at all: it's in the Official Fan Book. But yes, she's 17.

That's what I figured as well because I saw his birthday somewhere and it said the same date but a lot people believed it to be 17 going on 18. Anyways, it's nice to know the official ages.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 23:37   Link #539
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Really? Not sure how to take that.

After all, during his first training session before his birthday, it was stated by one of the bunnies that he was 17 and damn cute. His birthday occurred well over 5 episodes later.

As for Sheryl's age, I remember seeing it in an article that she may be older than 17.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-02, 23:39   Link #540
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Really? Not sure how to take that.

After all, during his first training session before his birthday, it was stated by one of the bunnies that he was 17 and damn cute. His birthday occurred well over 5 episodes later.

As for Sheryl's age, I remember seeing it in an article that she may be older than 17.

- Tak
You know, I think I remember them saying that he was 17 as well but I wonder why his birthday states otherwise? I mean if you do the math, he's 16 going on 17. I mean the series does take place in 2059, so yeah.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a