AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-11, 11:39   Link #1121
Calth

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
OK my thoughts on HOW Sheryl will survive (cause we all KNOW she will, lest the internets burn with the hatred of a thousands fanboys/girls)

Micheal's got the pill or at least the Medical contact does. Well they know what it is, so how hard would it be to make more? Yeah at this point where technology can blow up planets and travel through space, I'm sure they can copy a pill. Also, it's not like the V-Type virus is secret. There's probably other research going on for it.

The other solutions, magical blood cure found in Ranaka ( i'm meh about this one). Or Sheryl's blood some how becomes stable and has the same power as Ranaka's (maybe the pill messed up the stability of the virus).
In short, even with today's technology, you can replicate a known drug in a matter of days (possibly less) given that you know the formulation of the end product, given two conditions:

First, the synthesis of the active compound can be done through a standard organic synthesis. This means two things. One, the drug can be made through a series of chemical reactions and does not need to be biologically manufactured and then isolated, most drugs can, so not unreasonable. Second, there are no novel, unpublished techniques in the synthesis process. While whether this is reasonable or not would require us to actually see the structure of the drug, we will probably never will and this can be hand-waved.

Second, the active compound can be readily purified through standard means. Since I already assumed a fairly simple organic synthesis, this pretty much follows along and can be hand-waved without much of a problem. Most purification issues deal with scale, which is not a problem, or from isolating from a biological system, again not a problem.

The only reason I would be skeptical is if they make it so the drug has to isolated from a Vajra, which would push a reasonable time scale to weeks at a minimum.
Old 2008-08-11, 11:46   Link #1122
magnuskn

Cross-posted this to Macrossworld ( in their episode 18 thread, as somehow the whole "What is Sheryls past" discussion wandered to there.

Well, letīs see if I can cook up something which sounds half-way probable. ^^

- Sheryl is related to Mao Nome. Her last name and her blood type ( Alpha Bombay ) make this a vague, yet not improbable connection.

- Sheryl looks very identical to Ranshe Mei. This could be simply be put down to inattention of the character design team, but so far they have given us very distinct characters and the show has made very few errors in its storytelling. So I count this as a probability that Ranshe Mei is somehow related to Mao Nome, but not Sheryls mother.

- In that vein, Sheryl clearly is not a direct member of Ranshe Meis family, as she wasnīt shown in any picture or flashback featuring Ranka.

- If Sheryl was a relative of Mao Nome, it stands to reason that she was on the 117th Research Fleet. Obviously, that would make her a survivor of the self-same. My presumption is that she was transferred to Macross Galaxy as a refugee. There she landed on the street after some time, because nobody cared much about a refugee from another fleet.

- This also would be an explanation how she got infected with the V-Type disease, maybe she got wounded by a Vajra during the attack on the 117th.

- As a counterpoint, Sheryl remembers herself being a lonely orphan on Galaxy, as can be seen in her short memory flashback during episode 6 ( picture a few posts above ). This memory could have been faked, as it was shown very stylized. Although it could very well be argued that it is a traumatic memory of her past.

- Grace could very well have been watching Sheryl, waiting for the perfect moment to offer her everything Sheryl could have asked for.

Now, because I donīt want to only present my side, Iīll take on some points made by people who donīt like my little hypothesis and some doubts of mine about it.

- Sheryl is Fairy-9. Therefore it stands to reason that there were eight other "Fairys" before her. Nothing is known as to their identity and their final fate. Although it probably wasnīt a nice end.

- Sheryl could well have been infected with the V-Type disease by Grace after she was picked up in the alley. Only because she was checked into the hospital doesnīt mean that she already had the disease then.

- The childhood memory of Sheryl has been deemed an "obviously fake" one by some people in the past. As it is a very stylized one, it could well be so.

- Sheryl thinks her earrings are keepsakes from her mother. Now, how would a street urchin possess obviously valuable earrings such as those? In Sheryls flashback in episode 18 we see the earrings as they probably were given to her by Grace.

- Those hints taken together could very well indicate that Sheryl really *was* a street urchin, but got a personality implant, maybe a cosmetic touch-up ( to look more like Ranshe Mei, for whatever reason... maybe Grace had the hots for Ranshe? ) and then infected by the V-Type disease by Graces faction. That also could explain why her last name is "Nome" and maybe even how she got Alpha Bombay blood... I wouldnīt put it past Graces faction to be able to exchange a persons blood type.

If it is that, expect even more soul-searching from Sheryl as soon as she gets wind of that. Her whole identity would be fake.
Old 2008-08-11, 13:09   Link #1123
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
OK my thoughts on HOW Sheryl will survive (cause we all KNOW she will, lest the internets burn with the hatred of a thousands fanboys/girls)

Micheal's got the pill or at least the Medical contact does. Well they know what it is, so how hard would it be to make more? Yeah at this point where technology can blow up planets and travel through space, I'm sure they can copy a pill. Also, it's not like the V-Type virus is secret. There's probably other research going on for it.

The other solutions, magical blood cure found in Ranaka ( i'm meh about this one). Or Sheryl's blood some how becomes stable and has the same power as Ranaka's (maybe the pill messed up the stability of the virus).
The pill doesn't cure Sheryl, it only gets rid of the symptoms and replace it with other symptoms. I think Ranka having the cure has a higher probability.
Old 2008-08-11, 13:53   Link #1124
Prov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Cross-posted this to Macrossworld ( in their episode 18 thread, as somehow the whole "What is Sheryls past" discussion wandered to there.

Well, letīs see if I can cook up something which sounds half-way probable. ^^

- Sheryl is related to Mao Nome. Her last name and her blood type ( Alpha Bombay ) make this a vague, yet not improbable connection.

- Sheryl looks very identical to Ranshe Mei. This could be simply be put down to inattention of the character design team, but so far they have given us very distinct characters and the show has made very few errors in its storytelling. So I count this as a probability that Ranshe Mei is somehow related to Mao Nome, but not Sheryls mother.

- In that vein, Sheryl clearly is not a direct member of Ranshe Meis family, as she wasnīt shown in any picture or flashback featuring Ranka.

- If Sheryl was a relative of Mao Nome, it stands to reason that she was on the 117th Research Fleet. Obviously, that would make her a survivor of the self-same. My presumption is that she was transferred to Macross Galaxy as a refugee. There she landed on the street after some time, because nobody cared much about a refugee from another fleet.

- This also would be an explanation how she got infected with the V-Type disease, maybe she got wounded by a Vajra during the attack on the 117th.

- As a counterpoint, Sheryl remembers herself being a lonely orphan on Galaxy, as can be seen in her short memory flashback during episode 6 ( picture a few posts above ). This memory could have been faked, as it was shown very stylized. Although it could very well be argued that it is a traumatic memory of her past.

- Grace could very well have been watching Sheryl, waiting for the perfect moment to offer her everything Sheryl could have asked for.

Now, because I donīt want to only present my side, Iīll take on some points made by people who donīt like my little hypothesis and some doubts of mine about it.

- Sheryl is Fairy-9. Therefore it stands to reason that there were eight other "Fairys" before her. Nothing is known as to their identity and their final fate. Although it probably wasnīt a nice end.

- Sheryl could well have been infected with the V-Type disease by Grace after she was picked up in the alley. Only because she was checked into the hospital doesnīt mean that she already had the disease then.

- The childhood memory of Sheryl has been deemed an "obviously fake" one by some people in the past. As it is a very stylized one, it could well be so.

- Sheryl thinks her earrings are keepsakes from her mother. Now, how would a street urchin possess obviously valuable earrings such as those? In Sheryls flashback in episode 18 we see the earrings as they probably were given to her by Grace.

- Those hints taken together could very well indicate that Sheryl really *was* a street urchin, but got a personality implant, maybe a cosmetic touch-up ( to look more like Ranshe Mei, for whatever reason... maybe Grace had the hots for Ranshe? ) and then infected by the V-Type disease by Graces faction. That also could explain why her last name is "Nome" and maybe even how she got Alpha Bombay blood... I wouldnīt put it past Graces faction to be able to exchange a persons blood type.

If it is that, expect even more soul-searching from Sheryl as soon as she gets wind of that. Her whole identity would be fake.
oh noes!!! She might be giving me fake hopes and dreams?
Old 2008-08-11, 14:01   Link #1125
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe there is no Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee. Maybe there is only Ranka Nome/Sheryl Lee. One body, two voices. The ultimate show stopper.
Old 2008-08-11, 14:09   Link #1126
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1 View Post
oh noes!!! She might be giving me fake hopes and dreams?
LOL! Well, my second hypothesis was kind of a worst-kind scenario, because if Sheryl is a wholly fake persona, then we can expect her to have an utter and complete breakdown at this point.

We should see soon enough.
Old 2008-08-11, 14:30   Link #1127
Prov1

stfu to any1 dissing this theory. I know it's a long shot but what if Roy Focker and Mao Nome married? Since the proffesor died. Even though it might be pedophilism.
Old 2008-08-11, 14:48   Link #1128
.Mero

Quote:
stfu to any1 dissing this theory. I know it's a long shot but what if Roy Focker and Mao Nome married? Since the proffesor died. Even though it might be pedophilism.
That means he also dumped her, since during SDF:M he was with Claudia
Old 2008-08-11, 14:52   Link #1129
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would have been, what 51 years ago? Sheryl and Ranka are nowhere near that old. Grandchildren of Mao Nome....maybe...at best.
Old 2008-08-11, 15:13   Link #1130
Prov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mero View Post
That means he also dumped her, since during SDF:M he was with Claudia
oh shiz they were the same people? I thought it was a coincidence, same name
Old 2008-08-11, 15:43   Link #1131
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Maybe there is no Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee. Maybe there is only Ranka Nome/Sheryl Lee. One body, two voices. The ultimate show stopper.
That would rape my mind like an aids-ridden lagoon animal.

That better not happen or I'll have to slit my wrist.
Old 2008-08-11, 15:46   Link #1132
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
That would rape my mind like an aids-ridden lagoon animal.

That better not happen or I'll have to slit my wrist.
That doesn't actually work as well as reputated. Instead, sit in a sealed off garage with the engine and radio. You won't even notice slipping into unconciousness as you listen to the oldies, before succumbing to death by afiscation.
Old 2008-08-11, 16:50   Link #1133
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Ring Ring. It's for you. *hands you the clue phone*
Old 2008-08-11, 17:09   Link #1134
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
*Sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-11, 20:38   Link #1135
ReddyRedWolf

Some image comparisons between Macross Zero and Macross Frontier.

Mind you it's big.
Spoiler for Sheryl Nome and Sara Nome:

Ok Ranka is there too but mostly Sheryl.
Old 2008-08-11, 20:47   Link #1136
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Some image comparisons between Macross Zero and Macross Frontier.
There's more to where that came from, right
Old 2008-08-11, 21:17   Link #1137
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In a few of those shots she looks more like Alto really.
Old 2008-08-11, 21:20   Link #1138
mike_s_6

Quote:
I dare someone to make a side by side with that
Old 2008-08-11, 21:26   Link #1139
Revliss

Quote:
hmm the more i look the more Sara Nome looks like Alto
Old 2008-08-11, 21:35   Link #1140
Prov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
*Sigh*

- Tak
stop!!! I'm 3/4 dead now. You did that twice on me. Also, I hope Sara nome is like Sheryl. I loved the ShinxSara ending.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters