AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-03-19, 21:44   Link #381
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Slight spoiler in that music video. Shows a scene we almost reached.

I hope that spot at the end of the video where Rei and Hinata are looking over the bridge and Hinata disappears isn't meant to suggest anything. If Umino-sensei does something like that I'll be very angry.
At least, she made it into the video. That's how important she is. *boards Rei x Hina ship*
Old 2017-03-20, 03:05   Link #382
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
the students were talking about how he was one year older.
then the teacher mentioned him barely passing it due to circumstances
so did he make attendance or not?
Yes. He entered high school one year late because when he graduated middle school, he decided to play shogi full time and not go to high school. He later changed his mind.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 09:16   Link #383
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I was a little sad watching that scene. Would've loved to see him or SOMEONE (must be at least one person who's heard such conversation and knows) laugh and tell them that he's a professional who appears on TV and gets paid big bucks (at least by students' standards since it's more than the teachers). I don't know, I'd just like to see someone hear those girls speculate that the guy's an otaku who flunked for his hobby let them know just how awesome he really is. If played right, he could become a bit of a celebrity in the class. They might not understand the game or its depth, but you tell them the guy lives alone, makes lots of money and appears on television, you better believe they'd be talking different about him.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 16:05   Link #384
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
At least, she made it into the video. That's how important she is. *boards Rei x Hina ship*
Am I the only one bothered by the age difference?

Quote:
I was a little sad watching that scene. Would've loved to see him or SOMEONE (must be at least one person who's heard such conversation and knows) laugh and tell them that he's a professional who appears on TV and gets paid big bucks (at least by students' standards since it's more than the teachers).
Eh... I don't think that many people are interested in pro shogi...

Quote:
I don't know, I'd just like to see someone hear those girls speculate that the guy's an otaku who flunked for his hobby let them know just how awesome he really is. If played right, he could become a bit of a celebrity in the class. They might not understand the game or its depth, but you tell them the guy lives alone, makes lots of money and appears on television, you better believe they'd be talking different about him.
He may well have more disposable income than the rest of his class combined... That alone could make him "popular".
Old 2017-03-20, 16:28   Link #385
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Am I the only one bothered by the age difference
It's like what, three years?
Old 2017-03-20, 17:38   Link #386
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
When I talk about Rei and Hina, I don't mean right now. What I've said is that if I was in the grandfather's shoes, I'd be sizing up Rei's potential as Hina's future husband. Later. Down the road. When they're adults. At a stage where the age difference between them would be a total non-issue.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 18:18   Link #387
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
It's not that big of a difference. She's just entered her third year of junior high and he's entering his second year of high school. She's going to be turning fifteen at some point in the near future and he's just turned eighteen. It's not such a big difference really.

Quote:
Eh... I don't think that many people are interested in pro shogi...
They may not care about shogi, but I'm pretty sure they care a lot about TV, and probably a few care about the maturity of a guy living on his own and paying for his own stuff. To some high school students, simply having regularly appeared on TV makes a person a "star", so he'd have at least a few people looking up to him for that. At the very least, he'd have a gap bonus since they thought he was an otaku who flunked because he spends all his time at home playing games when he should be studying, and they'd be finding out that actually he's a working man who's decided what he's doing with his life and already made great success in his chosen field, and he came close to flunking because it's not easy to have a career and go to school at the same time. This would be somewhat impressive to them if that's what they knew at the start, but to find out that they were completely wrong about him adds some extra power to the realization simply by the contrast.

Quote:
He may well have more disposable income than the rest of his class combined... That alone could make him "popular".
Indeed.
Old 2017-03-20, 18:41   Link #388
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
It's like what, three years?

Quote:
It's not that big of a difference. She's just entered her third year of junior high and he's entering his second year of high school. She's going to be turning fifteen at some point in the near future and he's just turned eighteen. It's not such a big difference really.
At that age, it looks like a lot to me. If not for Rei's blank year, he'd be out of high school by the time she got into it. And it's exacerbated by the fact that, as someone earning a living and living on his own, he's practically an adult, while Hina can be pretty childish.

Quote:
They may not care about shogi, but I'm pretty sure they care a lot about TV, and probably a few care about the maturity of a guy living on his own and paying for his own stuff. To some high school students, simply having regularly appeared on TV makes a person a "star", so he'd have at least a few people looking up to him for that. At the very least, he'd have a gap bonus since they thought he was an otaku who flunked because he spends all his time at home playing games when he should be studying, and they'd be finding out that actually he's a working man who's decided what he's doing with his life and already made great success in his chosen field, and he came close to flunking because it's not easy to have a career and go to school at the same time. This would be somewhat impressive to them if that's what they knew at the start, but to find out that they were completely wrong about him adds some extra power to the realization simply by the contrast.
My point was that not many people would know his situation at all since he's decided to be discreet. Hayashida and Takahashi happened to know because they have an interest in pro-shogi, but it's perfectly reasonable that none of his classmates do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
When I talk about Rei and Hina, I don't mean right now. What I've said is that if I was in the grandfather's shoes, I'd be sizing up Rei's potential as Hina's future husband. Later. Down the road. When they're adults. At a stage where the age difference between them would be a total non-issue.
I... don't really see how to dissociate Hina's romantic future from what happens "right now". Sure, if you're considering some kind of marriage of reason, it's fine to hold that kind of reasoning. But if I was Hina's grandfather, I really don't think I'd be able to think "oh, hey, that's a good boy, they should start dating in a few years".
Old 2017-03-20, 18:52   Link #389
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:

oh, hell yeah. He'd have the biggest **** in the whole classroom.

But he's too humble and too shy to set the record straight.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 21:09   Link #390
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
I... don't really see how to dissociate Hina's romantic future from what happens "right now". Sure, if you're considering some kind of marriage of reason, it's fine to hold that kind of reasoning. But if I was Hina's grandfather, I really don't think I'd be able to think "oh, hey, that's a good boy, they should start dating in a few years".
It was the grandfather himself who gave me the idea. When Hina runs off to cry over the loss of her mother, who does he send after her? Rei.

He's an old man wanting to make sure his grandchildren will be okay after he's gone, and perhaps he's a bit traditional/old-fashioned and wanting to find them "good matches." Just a thought.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 09:25   Link #391
orion

Quote:
Only if they were actively dating right now, which they aren't. It can be a future ship. Hina is the best girl for him if she's allowed to age a bit. She's honest, has his best interest in mind (not selfish) and is going to be a baker.

On Rei's side, there's got to be an income in this. He is living by himself in an apartment and can travel without worries. He really doesn't have food purchasing problems. And...they both like each other.

Quote:
<snip> But if I was Hina's grandfather, I really don't think I'd be able to think "oh, hey, that's a good boy, they should start dating in a few years".
Well....if you know that the viable prospect list is limited, see a good one every day and know he's trustworthy, then it's "the bird in the hand scenario".

Really,....#1 is prob going to take over the lounge business from her aunt. #2 (Hina) is prob going to take over the bakery. Best to make sure #2 has a stable partner so your business can continue.

Last edited by orion; 2017-03-21 at 09:36.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-21, 16:46   Link #392
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Only if they were actively dating right now, which they aren't. It can be a future ship. Hina is the best girl for him if she's allowed to age a bit. She's honest, has his best interest in mind (not selfish) and is going to be a baker.

On Rei's side, there's got to be an income in this. He is living by himself in an apartment and can travel without worries. He really doesn't have food purchasing problems. And...they both like each other.
Rei has good points other than "he makes good money", you know?

Quote:
Well....if you know that the viable prospect list is limited, see a good one every day and know he's trustworthy, then it's "the bird in the hand scenario".
Why would the prospect list be limited? She's not even in high school yet, she has all the time in the world to find a boyfriend she actually likes. There's no need to push one on her.

If Hina x Rei happens, it happens, but at this point, hoping for it, pushing for it.. It's be a bit like that trope of parents promising to have their children marry each other when they're babies. It's not really done with the children in mind.

Quote:
Really,....#1 is prob going to take over the lounge business from her aunt.
Akari isn't that involved with that shop. She just works there a few times a week.

Quote:
#2 (Hina) is prob going to take over the bakery. Best to make sure #2 has a stable partner so your business can continue.
I don't think the gramps is worried about his business, beyond using it to support his granddaughters. I mean, sure, he's proud of it and all, but what he wants is for his granddaughters to be happy, so choosing a husband for Hina so the shop can thrive is putting the cart before the horse.
Old 2017-03-21, 21:28   Link #393
orion

Quote:
I don't think the gramps is worried about his business, beyond using it to support his granddaughters. I mean, sure, he's proud of it and all, but what he wants is for his granddaughters to be happy, so choosing a husband for Hina so the shop can thrive is putting the cart before the horse.
With the money the top 10 made in 2008, I'd be happy if Rei married Hina if I was granddad. *We're talking serious money here.*

https://www.chess.com/news/view/top-...ournament-7380

The whole family would be on easy street if he makes top 10.
Old 2017-03-22, 00:33   Link #394
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Gotta wonder how much of a philanthropist Shimada is. He's 8th-dan and probably won some titles, but he seems to be living a relatively modest lifestyle. I bet he's giving most of his winnings to the projects he often does to his hometown community.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 02:21   Link #395
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
With the money the top 10 made in 2008, I'd be happy if Rei married Hina if I was granddad. *We're talking serious money here.*

https://www.chess.com/news/view/top-...ournament-7380

The whole family would be on easy street if he makes top 10.
- He's not in the top10. He's not even in the top league.
- They're not the type to go gold digging.
- If they were, Akari would be better placed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Gotta wonder how much of a philanthropist Shimada is. He's 8th-dan and probably won some titles, but he seems to be living a relatively modest lifestyle. I bet he's giving most of his winnings to the projects he often does to his hometown community.
He's had title fights before, but I don't think he's won any of them. They'd have mentioned it.
Old 2017-03-22, 02:29   Link #396
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So wait, shogi title matches are winner-takes-all? No prize money for the highest non-winning qualifiers?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 02:41   Link #397
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
So wait, shogi title matches are winner-takes-all? No prize money for the highest non-winning qualifiers?
No, they get paid for every match. I just meant he'd never won a title.
Old 2017-03-22, 22:39   Link #398
orion

Quote:
- He's not in the top10. He's not even in the top league.
- They're not the type to go gold digging.
- If they were, Akari would be better placed for it.
No one's saying they are. People aren't idiots either especially if they see a potential gold mine visiting them for dinner every day.
Old 2017-03-23, 10:55   Link #399
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, they don't have to be the type to value a person as a prospect based on their paycheck to recognize that that paycheck is a definite bonus. I doubt Hina would personally care if he was flat broke, but I'm sure that her sister and grandfather want to feel secure about her future, to know that she's got a man who has a really strong income and can help support her if she's in any kind of trouble. Financial stability is only one point but it's a point, and I'm sure they notice the value of all points for him including but not limited to his checkbook.
Old 2017-03-23, 14:55   Link #400
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, but when you describe the grandfather's thought process as "the kid makes good money" and literally nothing else, combined with the fact Hina has shown no romantic interest in Rei, it sounds pretty gold-diggy.

Tags
drama, seinen, shogi