AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-23, 06:02   Link #1061
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I think Alto secretly has a thing for Michael. Hence why he's always competitive against him.
That's you going into yaoi doujin territory.
Old 2008-07-23, 06:06   Link #1062
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Maybe it's about high time Macross starts having true female heroine pilots who chooses men instead. Sorta like Final Fantasy finally having that female heroine in 13.
Old 2008-07-23, 07:56   Link #1063
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Maybe it's about high time Macross starts having true female heroine pilots who chooses men instead. Sorta like Final Fantasy finally having that female heroine in 13.
*Cough* Final Fantasy 10 *Cough*

Besides, women did choose, as in Macross PLUS, even if that triangle left a bad after-taste for Kawamori and co.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-23, 07:59   Link #1064
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Besides, women did choose, as in Macross PLUS, even if that triangle left a bad after-taste for Kawamori and co.

- Tak
Aha? Could you go a bit into detail as to why?
Old 2008-07-23, 08:04   Link #1065
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Aha? Could you go a bit into detail as to why?
For starters, she did both of them, yes?

And Sharon was like "you love Guld, but you love Isamu more!"

- Tak (I think Guld was compensating for something throughout the show... but, I will leave that detail for another discussion at another day)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-23, 08:10   Link #1066
.Mero

I Don't think she did both of em (at least not by choice)
Old 2008-07-23, 08:11   Link #1067
Westlo
Lets be reality

I don't think Guld raped her in that flashback, seemed like he stopped after he realized wtf he was doing. She did sleep with Guld in episode... 2.. she might of slept with Isamu from their school days.. if she didn't she would've after the series finished anyway. Also the Plus triangle rocked, quit hating!

BleachOD got banned, anyone know if it's permanent or temporary? I was ready to bow down to the shipping machine after her glorious uppercut that she would've given the "nomers" in this thread.

Also Tak.. lol @ Yuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Which is why I said it is not her fault she looks younger than her age. Kawamori made her underdeveloped compared to the rest of the cast because girls like her are typical. He made it so that teenage girls who share the same insecurity/issues can relate to her. Besides, Luca has the same problem. It's just how teenagers are.
Ranka and Luca are horrible representations of typical teenages, Ranka is clearly designed to appeal to that crowd and this has nothing to do with her actual character. Please don't even try to defend this, you won't see me saying that Sheryl's look is based upon sex appeal, she's an idol, of course she's suppose to be sexy. You can find much better examples of typical looking girls in anime than Ranka.
Old 2008-07-23, 08:19   Link #1068
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For starters, she did both of them, yes?

And Sharon was like "you love Guld, but you love Isamu more!"

- Tak (I think Guld was compensating for something throughout the show... but, I will leave that detail for another discussion at another day)
Yeah, but what was Kawamories problem with the OVA? Or did you mean that people didn´t like what Kawamori portrayed in it?
Old 2008-07-23, 08:24   Link #1069
Westlo
Lets be reality

I guess that was a problem for a lot of fans though personaly it didn't bother me. Look how many people coughrankafanscough whine about Sheryl being a slut just from her interactions with Alto in this series, now you go back 14 years and look at what Myung did.
Old 2008-07-23, 09:40   Link #1070
Prov1

... I'm not getting any of this. What do I have to watch to get this
Old 2008-07-23, 09:41   Link #1071
Westlo
Lets be reality

Macross Plus.
Old 2008-07-23, 10:30   Link #1072
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I guess that was a problem for a lot of fans though personaly it didn't bother me. Look how many people coughrankafanscough whine about Sheryl being a slut just from her interactions with Alto in this series, now you go back 14 years and look at what Myung did.
Myung was a slut. Only because of the fact that she slept with the guy who was the core reason for all the crap that went on between the 3 childhood friends. She and Isamu knew the truth, and she saw the crap Guld put Isamu through even the 7 years later.

Lucy x Isamu FTMFW.
Old 2008-07-23, 10:52   Link #1073
Prov1

macross plus is an oav right?
Old 2008-07-23, 11:14   Link #1074
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

M+ is both an OVA and a Movie. If you do watch it check out the movie version as it's the more updated of the two.

But yes high time we get an ace pilot girl as the center of a triangle. I nominate any one of Max and Miria's kids *cough beside Mylene*
Old 2008-07-23, 13:13   Link #1075
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Look how many people coughrankafanscough whine about Sheryl being a slut just from her interactions with Alto in this series, now you go back 14 years and look at what Myung did.
While I thought Sheryl was just being playful. Which is kind of cute, in a way, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
M+ is both an OVA and a Movie. If you do watch it check out the movie version as it's the more updated of the two.

But yes high time we get an ace pilot girl as the center of a triangle. I nominate any one of Max and Miria's kids *cough beside Mylene*
I really really want to watch something about Komilia.

- Tak

Old 2008-07-23, 13:23   Link #1076
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post

Ah, that would be divine! I'd go with Tak's choice but seriously....Emilia needs some love as well.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-23, 15:21   Link #1077
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Mind listing them all down the way I did? All the things about her that you see as neither normal nor down to earth. From how I can see it, she's just as normal as any real life teenagers out there.
I consider any comparisons with real life to be a very slippery slope when discussing an anime, especially an anime that has mecha, giants, aliens, and uses music as a weapon of war.

Down-to-Earth
For Ranka to be down-to-earth her actions, decisions, and expectations need to be practical and sensible. Our first big problem when analyzing this is that our source of data is very limited because Ranka's character makes very few decisions or actions during the last 15 episodes and what is left is heavily biased towards singing/idol issues. Therefore we have a very small pool of data whose spectrum of issues is fairly narrow which we must judge if they were practical and sensible.

In an attempt to not make my posts look like an OD piece of work, I'm going to keep my justifications brief.

Spoiler for Major Actions/Decisions by Ranka::

In my opinion, only actions 3, 5, 5b, 6, and 11 were practical and sensible for the given situations. That leaves 7 other actions that were irrational, unpractical, and unrealistic for any "normal" teenager. If you threw out any actions/decisions that are singing and idol related you'll see that there is very little left to work with.

Kawamori and team may have intended for Ranka to be a down-to-earth character, but they failed to provide her the opportunities to demonstrate those traits and what remained were mostly impractical and unrealistic responses. Hence the reason I argue that Ranka is far from being a down-to-earth character.

Normal

Spoiler for Response to Ani_d's list of relatable teenager traits:

For Ranka to be a "normal" teenager, the series needed to show us what life is like for the typical high school student. Unfortunately it failed to do so and now we need to pull from other animes and real life experiences to set the standard of what is a normal teenager on Frontier.

I would expect a normal teenage girl to:
1. Be a high school student.
2. Have some normal friends and classmates.
3. Have an after school activity (hobby, club, part-time job)
4. Experience love, probably for the first time.
5. Find direction in their life, be it university or career or something after high school.
6. Behave like a teenager.
7. Dress similar to other students around her.

Kawamori and team totally failed at depicting Ranka as a high school student. You wouldn't know she was a high school student if she wasn't wearing a school uniform. How many scenes do we have of Ranka at school participating in a school activity? Practically 0. It would be a stretch but we could include her introduction to the class and Sheryl's introduction to the class and we would have 2 scenes. Ranka as a high school student is completely undeveloped.

To further the point, Ranka does not have any school friends from St. Maria (??) and Mihoshi aside from Nanase, Alto, Michael, and Luca. Of those 4, only Nanase can be classified as "normal" because 1 guy is famous for dressing up as a girl, another guy is the heir to an manufacturing empire, and the other guy is the hottest piece of meat on campus. In addition, all 3 guys are pilots of an experimental fighter and members of a private army all at the tender age of 17. Either Ranka does not have any friends from school or she mostly socializes with people that are the furthest away from normal as possibly can be.

Now having an after school part-time job might be the most normal thing about Ranka. But when she ditches the job for a career in singing and idol entertainment everything about her ceases to be normal. Ranka's first experience with love might also be another normal thing.

As to whether Ranka appears and behaves as a normal teenager, that's pretty much a resounding no. If you compare Ranka's appearance with those of other high school students in Frontier then it's clear that Ranka does not look like a normal teenager. Her choice for book bag (the VF backpack), sleeping attire (hippo-cow suit), and scarf & dress weekend attire all suggests that she's a middle school student at most. If it wasn't for the fact that Ranka wears a high school uniform and that we're told her 16th birthday is soon, we'd never know that she was approaching adulthood.

The Ranka shown to us in the last 15 episodes is a far cry of what a normal teenager in Frontier should probably be. If Kawamori and staff intended to show us that Ranka was representative of a "normal" teenager on Frontier, then I'd have to argue that they screwed up by first failing to establish what a typical teenage girl is like and then failing to show that Ranka has similar traits.
Old 2008-07-23, 16:30   Link #1078
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

At first glance, I honestly thought OD had turned to channeling since she got banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Spoiler for Major Actions/Decisions by Ranka::

In my opinion, only actions 3, 5, 5b, 6, and 11 were practical and sensible for the given situations. That leaves 7 other actions that were irrational, unpractical, and unrealistic for any "normal" teenager. If you threw out any actions/decisions that are singing and idol related you'll see that there is very little left to work with.

Kawamori and team may have intended for Ranka to be a down-to-earth character, but they failed to provide her the opportunities to demonstrate those traits and what remained were mostly impractical and unrealistic responses. Hence the reason I argue that Ranka is far from being a down-to-earth character.
She lives in a floating colony in space, you know... hard to be 'down to earth' there.

Also, what's wrong with cookies?

I'll leave this one to you and ani, but I would like to interject one thing...

IMO:
genuine >>>>> realistic
relatable >>>>> down to earth
Old 2008-07-23, 16:36   Link #1079
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
At first glance, I honestly thought OD had turned to channeling since she got banned.
Yeah, that was my long ass post of the month. Don't expect to see the next one anytime soon.

Anyone ever figure out what OD got banned over?
Old 2008-07-23, 16:40   Link #1080
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Well, what ani_d is hinting at is some sort of an everyman hero. The difference is that she's an everyman hero born with latent superpowers, so she goes from being "average" to "exceptional" in a remarkably short period of time.

It's the same idea as an "instant mecha pilot". He's enough of a blank slate that you can project yourself into him, he starts out ordinary enough that everyone can identify with him, but then his latent powers suddenly kick in and he's the greatest guy in the universe. It's the ultimate in wish fulfillment.

The problem is that powers like these tend to overshadow the character themselves, and it becomes difficult to get a sense of who the character really is.

What's more, when you have two such blank slates in the same series trying to hold a conversation with each other, well... it doesn't make for very good dialogue.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance