AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 27 12.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 63 29.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 26.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 15.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.42%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.42%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-09, 02:09   Link #101
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
In order to truly succeed as an adaptation, imo, the anime needs to either a) include the background info and character development or b) start creating its own style and stop relying on copy-pasta'ing media from the source.
Unfortunately, the first is impossible because it would be way too long and the first half of each episode would drag on. The second is also impossible because the games are only half written. If they take any liberties with the storytelling, there's a good chance you end up with something that has no resemblance whatsoever to the original. Also, the second would mean they'd have to tell a story that's at least as good as the one Ryuukishi wrote. There aren't many writers who can do that in this particular genre.

Basically, the writers for the anime are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and we won't know whether they've managed to wriggle out until the anime series is finished.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-07-09, 02:14   Link #102
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
My two cents on the whole adaptation thing - a proper adaptation imo can be done in one of two ways: either it follows the source to the T, or creates something unique that captures the essence of the source. The problem I have with the Umineko anime is that it's riding the fence: it uses the same music, almost the exact same wording in the dialog, and even Beatrice's portrait is a direct copy from the novel. But, it is cutting out a significant portion of background info that really gave the novel its essence and character. In order to truly succeed as an adaptation, imo, the anime needs to either a) include the background info and character development or b) start creating its own style and stop relying on copy-pasta'ing media from the source.
How can you even consider that a option! (lol)
Old 2009-07-09, 02:20   Link #103
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Maybe they meant it as this scene was taking place earlier. But maybe it was intended? I'm not sure what to make of it. It can't just be a simple continuity error.
I'm almost worried they are hinting at a certain something too soon. I'm tempted to go back and replay these scenes in Episode 1 and check if the clock there was a bit weird as well.
Old 2009-07-09, 02:32   Link #104
Mercurius

Long winded rant:
Spoiler for a or b:
Back on topic, it looks like a bit of censoring is popping up. Which were the channels that were airing it uncensored (or at least not as badly)?
Old 2009-07-09, 02:53   Link #105
tcaz2

I give the episode a 7, as a VN player.

Honestly, I enjoyed the episode itself... but I agree with what Klashikari is saying a lot. Enjoyment factor was probably about a 8.5, but I just can't give it more than a 7 because of a nagging feeling in the back of my head because of all the stuff they left out.

Contradictory, perhaps... but I really have mixed feelings on both this and the first episode so far. At least we pretty much have to slow down now because of how much they covered in the first two episodes (something like 10-11 chapters? That's nuts.)

So yeah, still really looking forward to episodes but dreading what they'll cut all the same.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:12   Link #106
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Subs are out by gg.

Will watch it after I go to the gym lol.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:23   Link #107
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Back on topic, it looks like a bit of censoring is popping up. Which were the channels that were airing it uncensored (or at least not as badly)?
Both the raw and subbed versions that I saw had no censoring, unless you are referring to the darkening of few shots..?
Old 2009-07-09, 03:29   Link #108
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
Both the raw and subbed versions that I saw had no censoring, unless you are referring to the darkening of few shots..?
"Artistic touch" =P Well it would be boring if they basically showed some autopsy or something.
We only really need to know (for sure) their dead.

Now on a related note, is the Maria we see the Maria we know from the first episode. She seems different.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:30   Link #109
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is about on the edge of disturbing really. While the faces are in the shadows, they are not censored. The room is just dark in general. Someone put up the brightness form one frame...it is not pretty.

No bleeping either. Though I don't know of any words they may have tried to bleep.

And Maria is creepy when she wants to be creepy.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:32   Link #110
Mercurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
Yup, which I guess is about as bad Higurashi got, and even then that scene was still pretty gruesome.

Oh, and one other observation:
Spoiler for alibis:
And yes, creepy Maria is creepy. Didn't know Hocchan had it in her.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:33   Link #111
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ithekro, they have been dead for 6 hours, I believe coagulation or whatever its called has set in and its hard for those mutilated, as they may be, bodies to bleed any longer.
Old 2009-07-09, 04:57   Link #112
zato_1one

Just finished watching sub, I think it's better than I thought. Although they should at least develop or give more info about Natsuhi's background. That would help the audiences to know how precious it was for Natsuhi when Kinzo gave those speeches to her. Due to the lack of character background, it couldn't be helped that the audiences didn't feel any emotional attached to each character. Ah well, I think at this point I will treat first arc (five episodes?) as an introduction to the series.

But what really bother me is that out of five animes I've watched in this season. Umineko has the worst animation. Also, I agree that there should have a specific thread for VN readers to rant about anime adaptation.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:47   Link #113
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Alright then.

The Bad:
1. The entire issue of Maria getting the letter and the umbrella was rather downplayed a little, considering of course that it's a very important issue not only for this instance but in the future as well. At the very least the adults didn't go overboard anal in treating her like the game, but it feels like they aren't treating this as serious as it really is. (because it is)

2. Somewhat exaggerated facial expressions, expecially Maria. The good thing is that the VA's managed to at least match their voices to the exaggeration, again especially Yui Horie's Maria. This way the exeggerated faces didn't seem to noticable and out of place.

3. Personally it's kinda retarded that they didn't have Krauss try to explain the situation behind the gold ingot he showed Natsuhi. As Klash said, this might just go over the heads of a lot of viewers.

4. Out of all the VA's who have had enough speaking lines I think, the one lowest of them all would be Maria Inoue's Jessica. Most of her lines in this episode felt flat and rather emotionless, a stark contrast to the amount of effort Yui Horie's putting in.

5. So... Shannon's boobs pressing and bouncing on George's arm, extended version? Do we really need to see that?

6. One major nitpicks for me: Shannon commenting on what she saw that night being ommitted. For Shannon, she actually comments on what she sees, but since they neglected to actually show what she saw or have her comment on it, all the viewers have to work on is the glow, and that's not really enough to realize much...

7. Is it me or is Natsuhi's ponytail of a different color than the rest of her hair?

The Good:
1. The pacing was definitely slowed down for this episode. Personally I feel it's still a bit fast but it's getting there. It might have been a good move to have had the lightning fast pacing for episode 1 since it got us this. Especially because...

2. With the pacing, they actually got the tensions of the situations very well. Granted it's not as heavy and oppressive as the game got in such a fantastic way, but it IS there. You could still feel the mood and the heaviness of the incidents and it reflects on the characters very well.

3. Thank god they kept most of Kyrie's conversation with Battler intact, especially the emphasis on "flipping the chessboard over." This is a very important scene, and anime viewers should keep in mind the things that Kyrie talked about.

4. Props again to Yui Horie, now I'm totally on her side. She's just a few notches away from delivering an utterly fantastic performance. This might become her best work yet.

5. Am I the only one who absolutely loved the fact that they used the same exact method in the game of showing snippets of what the characters were doing, without words being exchanged, just before all hell breaks loose? This was an excellent buildup of dread when you compare the music and what Shannon supposedly saw.

6. To those who thought differently about Natsuhi's conversation with Kinzo: that's actually a faithfully adaptation, plus that's pretty much everything we got for Natsuhi anyway. There's still a lot of character development for her and I just hope they adapt it for the succeeding episodes properly.

7. They actually showed a bit more gore than I thought they would, which is actually a pleasant surprise. The VN was terrific in showcasing the horror of the incident because it also forced you to imagine just what the hell happened here. They pretty much animated it exactly as I imagined the scene to be, and while it doesn't shock me as much as when I first saw/imagined it, it was brilliantly gruesome nonetheless. Also, doesn't the look of their teeth remind any VN players of a specific gore shot in the game?

8. The most brilliant thing about this episode was the final shot, showing Shannon wearing the ring on her left ring finger as George looks on in complete agony. Completely heartrending.

----------

I'll give this a episode an 8. Yeah the same as what I gave episode 1, because they chose to omit and alter a few things I considered important, but excellently portrayed some scenes I found also important.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-09 at 16:06. Reason: advice removed.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:20   Link #114
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
7. Is it me or is Natsuhi's ponytail of a different color than the rest of her hair?
Yes. But it's the same as in VN.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:27   Link #115
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Don't know why I never noticed that while playing.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:33   Link #116
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oekitarts View Post
Hmm...
Spoiler for Observation:
Are you talking about what Maria watches? Because those scenes were from the Urahigu shorts that were included as DVD extras in Kai.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:39   Link #117
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
5. So... Shannon's boobs pressing and bouncing on George's arm, extended version? Do we really need to see that?
That is sarcasm, right? I mean come on.. That was like 3 second, tops.

And I know this sounds silly, but this anime is coming in the short episodic angles like in the other Naku Koro Ni shows, right?

I would think they might do the whole "do it only for 13 eps then come back" thing or intrigue the viewers again by giving us extra, original arcs. Much to the chagrin of the purists, but whatever. lol
Old 2009-07-09, 06:43   Link #118
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Since 13 bluray volumes have already been announced, we're pretty sure they're releasing 24-26 episodes.
Old 2009-07-09, 06:55   Link #119
Alaya
Counter Force

Watch it at last. I will give 8 out of 10 since it's a little bit better than episode 1.

The execution could be better executed though, like Natsuhi could ask Krauss while he open the lock along the line like "Do you really believe there're 10 tons gold" something like that. Another thing is Eva is a little bit underwhelmed.

The rest is good. Hope it keeps getting better.

For those who wish to listen to original rahu-goldenslaughter, the BGM that is played during the last scene, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAupQUUglkU

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-07-09 at 07:55.
Old 2009-07-09, 08:54   Link #120
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

Send a message via MSN to Rena Ryuuguu
i wonder how fast we will come to EP 2 from the Game.
if it continues with such speed.
Closed Thread