AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-12-02, 14:00   Link #1561
Sunder the Gold

I can sum it up as "Micaiah is a liar", or, less accusingly, "What she is saying and doing don't match".

As the first contradiction, she tells Otto and Deed that "slashing a car in half" is a compulsory rite of passage for her style's school. But as she lead them there, she dismissed the test as "Ah, just something I have to take care of", like picking up a carton of milk from the store. Despite all of things she's doing to surpass the customary test.

The second contradiction is: "To slash such a huge and sturdy target will be a first time for me, I'm not sure I could handle it properly. Also, having Otto and Deed watching makes me nervous."

But everything else she does and says is completely at odds with these statements.

If she were telling the truth, she would want to be there without those two watching, and she would be clearing her mind of all distractions before and during the exercise.

Instead, she deliberately leads them there to watch her, and asks them to stay and watch her even when they offer to leave. On top of that, she's making plans with them about future activities instead of giving this immediate test her full focus.

Then, she keeps upping the stakes while bragging about it. Not just such a sturdy target, but a moving target. Not just a moving target, but one coming straight towards her to crush her under its bulk if she screws up.

No, she doesn't seem the least bit nervous or unsure at all. From all angles, it looks exactly like showing off.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 14:03   Link #1562
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
No, she doesn't seem the least bit nervous or unsure at all. From all angles, it looks exactly like showing off.
Well, she probably was doing just exactly that and all that talk about being nervous was just her attempting to show some modesty.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 14:25   Link #1563
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I simply don't like it because it's rather underwhelming compared to pretty much everything we've seen before, yet is being played of as something really impressive. I mean, come on Otto, you've blown an entire base apart before, what are you doing standing around being awed at someone cutting a bus?

I mean, I know our cast is exceptional rather than the standard, and to regular Mid people this is indeed rather impressive, but Otto and Deed's reaction really should have been "Ooh, impressive." not "Holy crap! Did she actually do that!?"
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 14:29   Link #1564
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ For once, i'm with you Keroko. It don't make sense that Otto and Deed are that impressed considering the insane amount of impressive stuff they've already done and witnessed. I mean c'mon, they used to be fraking terrorists, they command hell to land upon RF6 headquarters and saw a colossal black dragon in all it's blazing glory. Yeah, both of their defeats were rather anti-climatic but still.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-02, 14:36   Link #1565
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
As the first contradiction, she tells Otto and Deed that "slashing a car in half" is a compulsory rite of passage for her style's school. But as she lead them there, she dismissed the test as "Ah, just something I have to take care of", like picking up a carton of milk from the store. Despite all of things she's doing to surpass the customary test.
Uh, she was only testing out her katana because it was just sharpened. She wasn't doing any sort of 'rite of passage'. Seeing as how she's the assistant instructor at her dojo, I imagine she's passed that rite long ago.

As for being nervious, people say stuff like that to be modest all the time. Nerves like that can be negatable, though. Micaiah would rather hang out with her friends instead.

And they were impressed because she took out that bus using very little magical power. Sure they've caused lots of destruction before, but they had big guns to do that with.
Old 2011-12-02, 15:59   Link #1566
Sunder the Gold

Raiser is right about Otto and Deed's reaction. It was the skill, not the power, that impressed them.

And when they were biting their nails in worry, it wasn't because destroying a hurtling bus seemed dangerous to them, but that it seemed dangerous for a normal human using a regular katana.

I do agree with Keroko that the manga itself seems to be making the trick out to be more impressive than it seems, compared to the other stuff we've seen in the series.

Yes, it's impressive that she can do so much with so little. It's still more impressive to see someone do a lot more with a lot more.

It would be a great skill to have if her strategy is to fight a long battle of attrition, conserving her strength through economic attacks and winning through Death Of A Thousand Cuts.

Somehow, I doubt that was her actual strategy.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 16:03   Link #1567
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Somehow, I doubt that was her actual strategy.
We already witnessed her "Single Stroke Battle" approach with Miura, the rules of the tournament somehow hinder her effectiveness in some areas but also compensate that with some advantage. She can't slice her opponents but if a hit of her sword manage to connect the damage input is enormous(she depleted around two thirds of Miura's life in one hit!). I guess Micaiah Chevelle will be a much mroe threatening opponent in a real battle.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 09:26   Link #1568
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Huh, actually want to just look at the pictures, liking Victoria quite a bit now. Any details on her new magic style from what people can gather? Probably not, but may as well ask.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 13:36   Link #1569
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Through most of the fight just just relies on physically attacking with her halberd. She does charge it with electricity and it has a beam saber in the bottom of the pole. She can spin it to create a whirlwind and also has a standard "nuke the field" spell.
Old 2011-12-04, 13:43   Link #1570
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

So yeah, Victoria pretty much sound like an outstanding Mighty Glacier to me, average speed but powerfull strikes and area spells.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 14:15   Link #1571
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Love her for the weapon, slightly irked that she's yet another lightning user.

I mean, she's what? The fourth or fifth lightning user?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 14:44   Link #1572
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

To be fair it makes some sense that Lightning and Fire are the most common among the "rare" Mana Conversion Affinity skill. Mana is a type of energy and lightning is another type of flowing energy which probably have various similitudes with RAW mana and thus far easier to convert.

If Kaijo's theory about fire MCA is true then we can argue that Fire MCA isn't a true MCA at all as the mana isn't directly "converted" into fire and instead only used to ingnite and fuel flames(like a portable flamethrower that runs on mana instead of gas).

The nature of electricity itself makes easy to create it with the Lightning MCA as it can produce a constant flow of energy. Which also could explain why Lightning is the most seen MCA.

I wonder if there will be another MCA aside of those two at all. Water isn't really a "type" of energy and i'm ignorant if "wind" can be considered one. Light can be considered a type of energy? Because the possibilities of producing different types of Light with a flick of a finger can be a pretty broken ability.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 14:45   Link #1573
Mirron

Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
Not surprising. If it's not fire or lightning, it's usually neutral. Wind magic exists, presumably a whole gambit of elements (though they may not be elemental conversion capable), but it's usually fire/lightning. And expected as much from Victoria, she still sounds the best of the new guys from the group. Glad Shante didn't win, didn't expect much from her.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 14:45   Link #1574
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Fate, Reinforce (technically), Erio, Rio, Victoria... yeah, sounds about right. But really, the title "Thunder Emperor" should've clued us in.
Old 2011-12-04, 14:55   Link #1575
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Her lightning powers are almost taken for granted when we heard Victoria's title xD

Canonly, Sieglinde is the best of the best among the veterans which only makes me more and more curious about ho her style is as more and more awesome veterans started to appear on the arena one after another. Tsuzuki do a good job to keep Victoria out of focus until this moment, it made the impact of the reaveal of her power level more exciting. After seeing Harii's fight against Els Tamin i left wondering how Victoria manage to beat her easily and hard enough to make Harii develop a complex about that, after watching her fight with Shante the doubts where cleared and know Harii's previous defeat at the Thunder Emperor's hands as also her fear of her are totally justified.

Who will be Victoria's main character opponent? I know the chances of her being defeated are high but at least i expect an amazing battle!

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 15:07   Link #1576
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Far as opponents go, she was most interested in Vivio and Einhart due to their own Belkan ruler connections. Sieglinde was more of a friend interest than anything else.
Old 2011-12-04, 15:10   Link #1577
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Far as opponents go, she was most interested in Vivio and Einhart due to their own Belkan ruler connections. Sieglinde was more of a friend interest than anything else.
Yup, Seiglinde so far seems to be that kind of character who is super awesome at something with such natural talent the she isn't even need to try hard to be awesome. While other veterans are all pumped out and striving to achieve their goals we only see Sieg-chan hanging around and eating popcorn. I think we need to have a previous fight of Sieglinde before she faces a main character, some disposable member of the main cast that serves as a sacrificial lion to show how far Sieglinde is from everyone else in terms of power(good thing Signum isn't participating in the tournament xDU).

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-12-04, 15:16   Link #1578
Justin_Brett

She does use lightning in a different way, at least, thanks to her weapon; definitely not as fast as Erio and Fate, but more powerful (relatively anyway, they both probably still hit harder than her).
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 15:21   Link #1579
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Remember that anyone could use elemental magic if they wanted to. It's just more efficient to use neutral spells instead if you don't have a natural affinity.
Old 2011-12-04, 15:24   Link #1580
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
She does use lightning in a different way, at least, thanks to her weapon; definitely not as fast as Erio and Fate, but more powerful (relatively anyway, they both probably still hit harder than her).
Fate? Sure! she have Trident/Thunder Smasher, Thunder Fall, Thunder Rage, Jet Zamber, Photon Lancer Phalanx Shift(plus Lightning End) and Plasma Zamber Breaker at her dispossal. all of them pretty nast big guns.

Erio have that Speerschneiden attack which seems to be pretty powefull but is very inpractical. I wonder if he developed a quicker variation of it now that he have a more developed body.

~The ASFB~

Tags
vivid