AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 17:58   Link #141
Shyni

It's not like anime is known for accurate/realistic depiction of hair colors anyway. At least blonde hair actually exists.

Okay, now I'm just stating the obvious.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:31   Link #142
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
It's not like anime is known for accurate/realistic depiction of hair colors anyway. At least blonde hair actually exists.

Okay, now I'm just stating the obvious.
Yeah, but at least half of all "American" characters I've encountered (possibly even more), have blonde hair. Especially common in 'school life' type of settings.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 22:48   Link #143
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

A Chinese male/female character is almost guaranteed to wear qipao or other traditional Chinese clothing. Personally, as a Chinese, I don't ever wear that except during the festive season. This is kind of hilarious, but I do understand the reason behind this. Seeing as how Chinese, Koreans and Japanese are often lumped together, the only way to distinguish clearly is for the Chinese characters to wear traditional clothing.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 23:08   Link #144
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
A Chinese male/female character is almost guaranteed to wear qipao or other traditional Chinese clothing. Personally, as a Chinese, I don't ever wear that except during the festive season. This is kind of hilarious, but I do understand the reason behind this. Seeing as how Chinese, Koreans and Japanese are often lumped together, the only way to distinguish clearly is for the Chinese characters to wear traditional clothing.
...Or in the case of some younger women, a cheongsam.

I remember watching years ago the final episode of (sorry, but at the time we though it was good watching) Beyblade when all Russians -- including the competitors -- are depicted as cold and unfriendly towards the Japanese.
Old 2013-04-22, 01:06   Link #145
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Nah just throw "aru" at end of every sentence. And scream AIYA! all the time.
Old 2013-04-22, 13:59   Link #146
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And scream AIYA! all the time.
Well......I can't deny the frequency of AIYA! appearing in Chinese conversation, especially among Cantonese people like me
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 18:47   Link #147
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Apparently, in the world of anime, a massive swath of the American population has light blonde hair...
This has everything to do with the simplification of anime character designs. Character designs in animation and illustration starts with making familiar face types as the borderline (i.e. relatively featureless), and adding features to more foreign face types. As anime faces are really basic to begin with, any additional features can look weird and detract from the impression that a particular character is supposed to give, and so character designers go for hair color. And it doesn't just apply to Americans either - German, British and French characters tend to be predominantly blond as well. A similar idea is used for Chinese/non-Japanese Asian characters - either clothing or speech cues are used to denote foreigness.

You can look at shows like Monster or Psycho-Pass to see how other nationalities will look if the character designer went for a feature-based approach. It should be pretty clear that most anime are purposefully staying away from this effect.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:33   Link #148
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Nah just throw "aru" at end of every sentence. And scream AIYA! all the time.
Huh, I still do that occasionally. I meant go 'Aiya' or 'Aiyo'.

But seriously, for once, can a Chinese girl not know kung fu of any kind?

The only ones that I can think of that don't fall into stereotypes are Revy from Black Lagoon and Mellisa Mao from FMP.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 00:45   Link #149
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

But how else would you be able to date them if you don't first beat them in mortal combat?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 03:55   Link #150
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
Huh, I still do that occasionally. I meant go 'Aiya' or 'Aiyo'.

The only ones that I can think of that don't fall into stereotypes are Revy from Black Lagoon and Mellisa Mao from FMP.
But Revy is basically American, Chinese part plays no more role than the ethnicity of her parents.
And the official Chinese girl, Shenhua, does in fact use martial arts, stereotypical clothing, and complete with "Chinglish" (per Revy) lol.

Heck Black Lagoon is like a collection of the most absurdly stereotyped characters possible, but in a badass way.
No one can hate a Chow Yun-fat clone!
Old 2013-04-24, 19:17   Link #151
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post

Lynn Minmay doesn't know Kung Fu nor any other form of combat however she is just of Chinese descent and not actually Chinese.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:11   Link #152
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
This has everything to do with the simplification of anime character designs. Character designs in animation and illustration starts with making familiar face types as the borderline (i.e. relatively featureless), and adding features to more foreign face types. As anime faces are really basic to begin with, any additional features can look weird and detract from the impression that a particular character is supposed to give, and so character designers go for hair color. And it doesn't just apply to Americans either - German, British and French characters tend to be predominantly blond as well. A similar idea is used for Chinese/non-Japanese Asian characters - either clothing or speech cues are used to denote foreigness.

You can look at shows like Monster or Psycho-Pass to see how other nationalities will look if the character designer went for a feature-based approach. It should be pretty clear that most anime are purposefully staying away from this effect.
I understand, but it is what it is. It's still a silly stereotype of sorts, even if they have their reasons for doing it. I actually really liked the character designs in Monster, now that you mention it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:59   Link #153
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Lynn Minmay doesn't know Kung Fu nor any other form of combat however she is just of Chinese descent and not actually Chinese.
Welp, forgot about the Macross Franchise, but its not like I can remember everything .
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 00:54   Link #154
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Tbh, every time I hear the whole "Japanese animation are full of foreign stereotypes!" argument, I have to shake my head and think "yeah because Simpsons and South Park are so clean of those. OH WAIT. They're even worse!"
Old 2013-04-25, 08:18   Link #155
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well satirical shows are another issue, that's something to be expected from them.

But in general I think almost all cartoons show stereotyped characters of course, not just anime. That's because more often than not when they throw into the mix a foreign character is because they want to add "flavor" and "variety" to the cast, and what's the point if they act and look like everyone else?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote