Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-11-27, 22:29   Link #21
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Lets see.

I had to walk almost 5 miles in the mall, that was hotter then the god damn summer in Florida.

I continually got stepped on and bumped into by ignorant people who were to busy blabbing away on their cellphones or to the people next to them to care where they were going.

And I almost hit a horse with my car.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 23:31   Link #22
2otaku
What is it?

Send a message via AIM to 2otaku
Post No problem at all...

... because I didn't leave the house. I don't do Christmas... I refuse to be a hypocrite. I am Buddhist.

Simple enough.

My family is cool with it. I haven't done Christmas since 1990. Saves them money... no gift for me! Birthday gifts are always money. I like it.

I'm very picky and I don't live in clutter.
2otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 00:20   Link #23
hooliganj
Team Player

This was the first time in 7 years I wasn't standing behind a counter on Black Friday, and I celebrated the fact by staying home. Let me throw out a hint for those of you who don't know: this day may be annoying for the shopper, but it is hell for the clerk. A store that's properly prepared will do 150-200 times their normal sales in one day on this, the busiest shopping day of the year. So why does every single customer want personal and immediate attention?

I'm so embittered about it all...
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 00:44   Link #24
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I picked up a western digital 160GB hard drive at Best Buy for $30 dollars after mail in rebates. I hate rebates but its such a good deal.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 00:45   Link #25
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Since Im also one of those foreigners who doesnt know about this weird united states tradition, Ill have to ask, why is it called black friday?
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 00:56   Link #26
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Since Im also one of those foreigners who doesnt know about this weird united states tradition, Ill have to ask, why is it called black friday?
The stores that started setting it up as a psuedo-holiday called it "Gold Friday", but the name got changed to reflect the fact that sane people don't enjoy standing in line for several hours and nearly getting trampled on the way to the specific item you want, only to find it's out of stock. It has become the epitome of everything that is horrible about the Christmas shopping season, therefore "Black Friday."

Plus the media started calling it that, so the name stuck.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 03:08   Link #27
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Hmm, didn't buy much because I wasn't as crazy as some people who stood in line at my local Frys store at 2am in the morning with the temperature being 30 F. I went shopping around early noon and bought a new phone set since my old one broke but other than that I really didn't buy anything. I did see a $400 Toshiba 1.5 GHz laptop at BestBuy, which I could really use but the newspaper said only from 6am until noon and it said 25 per store. I really wanted to go buy it but I thought to myself that they're probably all sold out so I didn't bother to go check. Anyways, I didn't really do much shopping...ha, I dare not too because everyone at the store was all grumpy and gloomy especially the people waiting in line and the employees plus the lines were insanely long. Bah, it's not worth. Black Friday...indeed.
Old 2004-11-28, 03:15   Link #28
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
The stores that started setting it up as a psuedo-holiday called it "Gold Friday", but the name got changed to reflect the fact that sane people don't enjoy standing in line for several hours and nearly getting trampled on the way to the specific item you want, only to find it's out of stock. It has become the epitome of everything that is horrible about the Christmas shopping season, therefore "Black Friday."

Plus the media started calling it that, so the name stuck.
I always thought the "black" is for the black ink that stores will finally be able to use in their bookkeeping. Red ink means they're losing money, and black is for booking profits.

I usually shop on-line before - other than for specials and stuff that I can't find - so it wasn't that big of a deal. Why save a few bucks more by going to a store and risk high blood pressure, anger, frustration, and physical harm?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 03:16   Link #29
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
This was the first time in 7 years I wasn't standing behind a counter on Black Friday, and I celebrated the fact by staying home. Let me throw out a hint for those of you who don't know: this day may be annoying for the shopper, but it is hell for the clerk. A store that's properly prepared will do 150-200 times their normal sales in one day on this, the busiest shopping day of the year. So why does every single customer want personal and immediate attention?

I'm so embittered about it all...
yea... 200 times the sales, but more than 10x the ussual amount of people in the store if you are there during the first hour. It is damn scary to work anywhere near electronics or toys during that time. *shudders*
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 12:00   Link #30
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Me and some buddies all met @ the CompUSA parking lot at about 4am, lawnchairs and blankets in the trunk with plenty of hot coco ^_^ Sat around chatting all morning and we ended up getting everything we wanted. I really like this Samsung 19" LCD
Onibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 01:05   Link #31
Forklift
150 gigs and losing count

Send a message via AIM to Forklift
I work at Best Buy, but I got to go in late so it wasnt that bad for me this year. Last year I was there at 4:45 and it sucked major ass
Forklift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 01:28   Link #32
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Can I say, Black Friday = Black and blue bruises? Geesh, people need to chill in the malls. They push, shove, etc just to get that toaster, microwave, etc. Also, why did all the old PS2s/XBoxes suddenly get sold out this year and there were plenty last year?

My friend who is an insurance adjuster saw more accidents in the last four days than he did the entire month of November. He pretty much stayed at the mall and wrote up insurance claims all day.

I don't understand the crazies this year. It's like anarchy out there.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 07:10   Link #33
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Post your Black Friday campout experience!

Now that Thanksgiving holiday is officially over, I just wanted to share my experience on black Friday (to those who live in the Us to experience this) and to ehar what other's went through during this once a year experience.

Personally, even though i didn't get everything i wanted, it was an overall fun experience. ive read in other forums that ppl started lines around 4 or 5 pm or so, but i lined up at 2pm here in Best Buy at socal, and i was already about 80ish in line. waited 14+ hrs for the store to open and my friends to come at around 7pm. let me tell u, i did NOT expect that many hot girls to camp out at these events. there were tents everywhere, and the line weaved around the parking lot. it was cold as hell, and the local starbucks was smart enough to open on thanksgiving day, since business was MASSIVE there with the campers and all. the line for the restroom started piling up at around 8pm or so, and since they only have one unisex restroom, the wait in line in starbucks was about avg 45 min to an hr. it was pretty intense. met alot of ppl who looked out for my small group and vouched for us when ppl started cutting and gettin crazy at about 3pm. by the time 3pm came, my group and the ones in front and behind me were suddenly pushed back to #200+ because of all the cutters. it was unreal!! I managed to get a laptop, but i gave it away to one of my friends since it was a cheap toshia anyway. im planning to get a 2g sony vaio Q1 next yr =)

I got say, the BB system for BF was very flawed, since it was not fair to alot of ppl who waited over 14 hrs while ppl that came for 3-4 hrs got in front in the alst hr. Since they used a voucher system for doorbuster items this year, there was ALOT of pushing and shoving, but by tat time, i didnt really gave a crap anymore lol.
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 08:55   Link #34
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
a 2004 thread? Wow ^_^. I had to work on balck friday so i didn't get to do much shopping. I really wanted that 22" Westinghouse LCD monitor for $200 From BB.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 10:23   Link #35
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Half the parking lot was full at my Best Buy at 8 PM the night before.

So I went to Circuit City and camped there from 8 til 5 the next morning and got a laptop, a computer, and some random free/$5 stuff.

It was totally worth it.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 13:02   Link #36
Duo
king

After two years straight working this day, I can safely say that I never want to experience this day ever again.

congrats to those who got good deals. Working caused me to miss out on a $50 250GB external hard drive.. which pisses me off like nothing else.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 20:58   Link #37
Gundam Zero Force

Last year was a nightmare!

Luckily I was at home and missed the choas
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 20:59   Link #38
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
After two years straight working this day, I can safely say that I never want to experience this day ever again.

congrats to those who got good deals. Working caused me to miss out on a $50 250GB external hard drive.. which pisses me off like nothing else.
If you think that's bad, I waited 9 hours in front of Circuit City for a $40 250gb external hard drive, was 13th in line, and there were only 5 of them >:O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 23:18   Link #39
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
The last time I was out on Black Friday was a few years ago. Went to King of Prussia (2nd largest mall in the U.S.) to buy my mom's birthday gift...

Never doing that ever again. Black Friday was scary. ^^;

I just wait to do all my shopping... Now, actually, since I'm in college I can't really shop anyway. Gotta ask my dad to get certain things for me.

Hoo-ah!

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 00:54   Link #40
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
What's Black Friday?

I've been trying to get myself all into American traditions, haha but I only recently moved from London, so I know nothing much.
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote