4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.80%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-02, 23:21   Link #101
FubaredByAnime

Sushi-Y, it really sounds like you're dying to tell everyone what's really going on. lol
Old 2006-05-02, 23:57   Link #102
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Sushi-Y, it really sounds like you're dying to tell everyone what's really going on. lol
Really? No kidding?

I guess it's time to shut up then.
Old 2006-05-03, 06:02   Link #103
BrokenWingz

I watched this ep with my bro at around 1am, don't think i wanna do that again xD

Spoiler:

Time to read the tips thread
Old 2006-05-03, 11:41   Link #104
DaFool
Resident devil

This is the first time a harem anime went from 0 to 1000X crazy insanity in only 4 episodes. And to think there are more intense ways of doing it for the next episodes. I was looking for the thread after coming back from Labor Day weekend, and then bam! it's got its own forum. Quality speaks for itself. Though of course as far as rewatchable, I'd say episodes 2 and 3. But the clues in ep 4 gets you thinking.
Old 2006-05-03, 14:56   Link #105
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
What I found very surprising was the juxtaposition of disturbing insanity
and then light-hearted fun anime goodtimes all within seconds of one
another.

Can you imagine if this was aired on american television?

There's absolutely nothing like it so I could see some surprising and
shocked reactions.
Old 2006-05-03, 15:25   Link #106
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Heh, no shortcuts. As a total ignorant of the game/novels etc etc. I find this anime to be simply marvellous.

Basically because it belongs to one of my favourite branches, meaning the calm pace and narration hiding something deep and mysterious behind. And even more, I like how the most innocent-looking people can go suddenly insane.
I find very amazing to see the sweet and lovely Rena, and Mion, to go into Psycho mode, or even into Berserk mode. I like this kind of horror, more based on suspence and thrilling than on pure splatter (well, a bit of splatter was shown when Keichi devastated Rena and Mion's bodies in episode 4, but that was pretty much left at the imagination, we're far away from Elfen Lied brutal (and more disturbing) mode).

The construction:

It's good to see how the story was settled and built throughout just this 4 episodes. A very calm beginning, and then - little by little - the clues. Pieces of puzzles went together slowly, mysterious narrations, happenings and characters took place.
I loved how the tension increased, how Keichi's insanity went overboard, but also how the girls' teasing went overboard as well. That was just constructed plain nicely, and I loved it.
Not knowing anything, I didn't expect a sort of "end of round 1" at episode 4. Nor I would have expected to see Keichi escape from a sure death. The "monster" were supposed to be Rena and Mion, instead from executioners, they became victims.

But still, so many unsolved question. I'll keep them for myself, it will be tasty to (hopefully) get answers for them on next episodes.

The realization:

Props to Studio Deen which made so far an excellent work. The character design is kind of unique, very peculiar and unusual. But the details are great, and the psycho/crazy modes of the characters are depicted magnificently. You actually may happen to fall from your chair if you're very concentrated (sort of Shining alike , ^_^). If this happens, it's a great success, of the director, of the animation team, of all nevertheless.
Rena dubbed by one my favourite seiyuus (Nakahara Mai) is then a great plus for the series.
I also absolutely adore the musics. Especially the OP theme, which I find very fitting and intriguing. A tv sized version of it has already gone on my Ipod. I couldn't help it, May 24th (single release) is still too far

Enough for now, I have probably said cheap things for those living in Japan, or already knowing all that's behind this wonderful series. But that's all I could put together in four episodes, and now looking forward to the fifth to see how the story is gonna to restart, I really have no clues as for now, and I'm really glad of it, even though the wait is hard to bear ^^

As for single episode ratings I have given:

Episode 1: 8 - Introductory, a bit slow but showing the potentialities.
Episode 2: 9 - More pieces of puzzles to put together. And the pace from calm to scary is really short
Episode 3: 9 - The series becomes officially scary, and that great final, full of tension, with Rena at the door, is one of the best anime moments of this year.
Episode 4: 9 - Because it was unexpected and it took me by surprise. I'd liked to give 10 to it, but first I'd liked to understand what was going on. Ok, perfect rendering. But why? When I cannot understand something, because not enough clues have been sown, I don't feel like giving a "perfect" judgement.

That's it
Old 2006-05-03, 19:23   Link #107
Azn_GooWakJai
Glory Raiden

Send a message via AIM to Azn_GooWakJai
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
another.

shocked reactions.
See this would be sumthing good to be put on in American TV shows and hopefully not cable cuz I dont have cable --_--" And sum TV shows that mystery series such as 24, Bone, and Prison Break are pretty good. Fox series has good action/mystery shows but compare to anime like Higurashi, they can't win.
Old 2006-05-03, 22:30   Link #108
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
And the goal of the story is not "figuring out who Oyashisama is", nor is it even about "finding the true culprit" or "finding out the truth". The real goal is XXXXXXXXXXX (but to do that, you'd need to find out the truth anyway, so it's not that different I guess, at least for you lucky anime watchers who won't have to worry about Matsuribayashi ^^; )

[editted by kj1980: blanked out the real goal. I think it's better for the viewer's to find out what the real goal is as they struggle to put it all together. Besides, that's what made it interesting to us when we first played the game, right?]
Hahaha. Reading this made me laugh. I guess I'm one of the few who got to read the unedited version. Seriously, Sushi-Y, you did sound like you were dying to tell us.

Anyway, with all the hints flying around in the QA, speculation and Ep 4 threads, I think I have an idea of what's going on. For now, I'll be in the minority and say that something supernatural is going on.
Old 2006-05-04, 00:34   Link #109
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Hahaha. Reading this made me laugh. I guess I'm one of the few who got to read the unedited version.
Shoot! I did read the "uncensored" version too, my bad . But it's my fault, I know I mustn't read anything about discussions etc. etc. on these kinds of boards, because spoilers are always the fee to pay to read them.

By the way, in defence of Sushi-Y, I don't consider that as an high voltage spoiler, I mean, what he said, if the anime will follow the speculation I'm doing, should be guessable quite soon anyways

And as for the anime itself; yes, I too belong to the "oh, something must be wrong here" minority
Old 2006-05-04, 10:16   Link #110
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

I just got into this series, and I have to say it is quickly turning into one of my favorites. I never knew little girls could at any moment turn into raging psychopaths who abuse drugs. I've got a few questions though.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-04, 10:22   Link #111
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy
Spoiler:
Technically, it's the other way around. Since the Higurashi no Naku Koroni doujin game came before SHUFFLE!, many otakus here were on 2ch boards that time saying that it was Kaede that went oyashiro-mode. Besides, that was what the anime staff for SHUFFLE! was exactly aiming for - bringing out the eerieness in Kaede just like Rena.
Old 2006-05-04, 11:14   Link #112
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Either way I almost wish Keiichi had just given in and become one of them.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-04, 11:27   Link #113
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy
Either way I almost wish Keiichi had just given in and become one of them.
That'd actually have been far better, IMO. Why go aginst a group of cute widdle murderers instead of join them?
Old 2006-05-04, 11:38   Link #114
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
another.

shocked reactions.
You could put something like this on american tv but the age of the characters would be older and it wouldn't be animated, it would be completely live action.
Old 2006-05-04, 11:50   Link #115
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
You could put something like this on american tv but the age of the characters would be older and it wouldn't be animated, it would be completely live action.
Exactly. And show this to the standard american and it'd probably disgust them, and not because of the actual disgusting parts too, mind you. Americans don't have the concept of young kids being main characters in anything besides shows made for kids. They're so superficial.

(and I should know, as I'm american myself)
Old 2006-05-04, 11:54   Link #116
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

btw. anyone who is the first pyscho loli? I think school day came before Higurash which came before shuffle/fate. Was there any character like thses before School Days?
Old 2006-05-04, 12:07   Link #117
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
btw. anyone who is the first pyscho loli? I think school day came before Higurash which came before shuffle/fate. Was there any character like thses before School Days?
School Days is rather new, the game was released last year.
Both SHUFFLE! and Fate were released in January of 2004.
Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Onikakushi-hen was released back in Summer Comike 2002

Besides, Kaede wasn't that psychotic in the original ero-game.
Old 2006-05-04, 12:10   Link #118
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
And what makes you say Shuffle?

And don't even say Keade is a loli - and i wouldn't say Illya is pysho.
Old 2006-05-04, 12:11   Link #119
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
School Days is rather new, the game was released last year.
Both SHUFFLE! and Fate were released in January of 2004.
Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Onikakushi-hen was released back in Summer Comike 2002
I stand corrected.

AngelSama, how about pyscho girls. And i was thinking more of Sajura then Illya.
Old 2006-05-04, 12:50   Link #120
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
AngelSama, how about pyscho girls. And i was thinking more of Sajura then Illya.
If you said that instead of Loli, then it would make perfect sense.