AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 0 Rating
Perfect 10 38 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 25.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 14.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 12.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.21%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-02, 21:30   Link #21
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
This OVA is based on one of the side stories in volume 7, Wolf and Amber Melancholy I think it is. So yeah this is canon main story development.
Okay. Then I guess we may see their relationship develop quicker than I thought it would. Which I have no problem with.
Old 2009-05-02, 22:03   Link #22
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep1 didn't overwhelm me. But Horo did. I'm just not into triangles, I guess. I want everything to go well for the wise wolf.

Koshimizu Ami outstanding as always. Kugimiya Rie was a deserving winner of last year's top seiyuu award. But I voted for Amisuke, and I would again. Her work as Horo is like a symphony.

I also liked Fukuyama Jun and Nakahara Mai here.

I don't mind the simplification of the drawing. The characters still work very well for me.

I actually liked the music. Just close enough to real mediaeval music.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-02, 22:36   Link #23
necrosis6

Did anyone else feel that Horo was acting a bit OOC this episode? I liked Horo in the first season when she was being sarcastic/teasing and not moe. Hopefully it won't last into the new season. That said I loved the point where Lawrence brought Nora in the room. Truely amusing
Old 2009-05-02, 22:50   Link #24
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Yes. Quite a few of us it seems.
Old 2009-05-02, 23:03   Link #25
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis6 View Post
Did anyone else feel that Horo was acting a bit OOC this episode? I liked Horo in the first season when she was being sarcastic/teasing and not moe. Hopefully it won't last into the new season. That said I loved the point where Lawrence brought Nora in the room. Truly amusing
Tha'ts kind of stuff you like will start happening when they get to the actual season. Though I have only read vol 3 and 4 as much as the English is translated, you have to remember that this was part of Vol 7. So though it may be something that happened earlier in their journey, that was shown in a latter part of their journey where there relation may have taken another turn, where this affair plays more significance.
Old 2009-05-03, 03:03   Link #26
Freeter
beyond

The "love triangle" was one of the best things about the series, and I'm glad it was the main focus here. Jealous Horo was a riot to watch, and Lawrence being completely oblivious to the situation made it even more hilarious

Looking forward to season 2 and more Horo x Lawrence moments.
Old 2009-05-03, 06:00   Link #27
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Good to see this show has lost none of its wit and whimsy from the first season. The interactions and relationship between Horo and Lawrence really make for the crux of this series and episodes like this show why. Although, as others have mentioned, it's probably a safe bet that the tone of the season proper will be much darker than it was in this ep, which was basically more of a precursor than anything.
Old 2009-05-03, 07:05   Link #28
TrueKnight

The music sucks and it hurt my ears but hilarious ova nevertheless. Lawrence is a pimp not only he's good in making money but also unconsciously making the chicks have hots for him. The best part for me is definitely Horo's jealousy and Lawrence's level of thickheaded denseness about Nola, truly legendary and lol and wtf face Horo was making 'I can't believe this guy'.
Old 2009-05-03, 08:00   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I liked the music. Sounded medievalish.
Old 2009-05-03, 08:30   Link #30
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It may have been a year since then, but few things melt my ice-cold heart more than watching Horo sulk.

That said, I still do hope this isn't a permanent and radical change in Horo's personality. Most OVA's of a series tend to deviate from the usual tone of the series (Higurashi anyone?), but Horo's semi-snarky wit in the face of... well pretty much everything was one of the selling points of the series for me.

As for the episode itself, the first 10 or so minutes of the OVA felt like upper-crust generic fare. The last 12 minutes however reminded me why I used to have a little Horo shrine in my room in my old house. Which reminds me that I need to rebuild that damn shrine when I move back in a few months.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-05-03 at 08:51.
Old 2009-05-03, 10:28   Link #31
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well its up to their own tastes in musics... Personally I didn't like the music at all. Thought it was horrible.

Other than that - a good ova but Horo is bit too moe for my taste. Hope that her character returns back to normal soon.
Old 2009-05-03, 12:27   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its music done with medieval instruments and written to recall various medieval genre, particularly that influenced by the spice trade routes. Relevant to the story and the sort of music the characters would hear. What did ya'll want? Death Metal? Rap? o.O
Old 2009-05-03, 12:34   Link #33
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

The music makes you get a feel for the enviornment and times the story takes place in. Anything else in my opinion would sound awkward and unfitting.

As for people who think Horo's acting strange, I don't see it. Whenever she broke down in the last season certain emotions and traits you wouldn't expect or regularly see from her were fleshed out. She stumbles and falters when her own emotions get the better of her. I find that no different than what happened in this OVA. She is obviously concerned and her actions reflected that.
Old 2009-05-03, 13:24   Link #34
velvet
"with you, happiness"

I don't understand the conversation between Nola and Horo near the end. Anyone can enlighten me? -_-'

And I may forget something, but why Nola isn't reacting at all to Horo's ears?

Old 2009-05-03, 13:33   Link #35
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I'm not a fan of the music, but if it fits the environment of the story, I can tolerate it.

Loved the OVA. Horo is absolute love for me.
Old 2009-05-03, 13:47   Link #36
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
I don't understand the conversation between Nola and Horo near the end. Anyone can enlighten me? -_-'

Nora has seen Horo's true form which I'll remind you is a great big honky wolf, I doubt the ears are gonna phase her much....if not anything at all anymore
Old 2009-05-03, 17:16   Link #37
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post

This Exert from the light novel might clear things up for you, its the same part as in the OVA.
Spoiler for Spice and Wolf Vol 7 Part 3, (SaW II OVA):
Old 2009-05-03, 18:06   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Even with that, I'm not sure what they mean.

Except maybe that Lawrence would be tasty if roasted.
Old 2009-05-03, 18:08   Link #39
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Lad ... I was also surprised by the musical score , but it fits perfectly the medieval/renaissance era
I agree but it may be too much repetitive for me However it doesn't mean that I dislike medieval/renaissance themes.
Old 2009-05-03, 23:51   Link #40
RayzorFang
APRIL APRIL APRIL

When i first listened to the opening from the sound track i immediately skipped it cause it was horrible but since listening to it in the OVA it kinda tied into my feelings of happiness of the return of the series and also it's perfect medieval music very fitting for a bar.

@Anh Minh and Velvet: Lawrence is the sheep, Norah is a shephard, Horo asks advice on how to herd the "sheep" and learns Norah is a true shephard, Horo feels she loses in her hunt for the "sheep" to the shephard. Something along those lines.

It seems Norah had a growth spurt in the year we've been waiting for the series to return, she is now half a head taller than Horo.

I think the animation quality has improved from last season and i welcome that change and the storyboard for this ova i thought was unique like for the explanations of the curing of Horo's fever.

The slight OOC for Horo wasn't bad for a change in pace but i doubt it will continue into the actual second season, so everybody rejoice for the return of this great anime!!!... in two months
Closed Thread