AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 37 42.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 34.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 10.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-25, 04:32   Link #81
Ned Fletcher

Quote:
EDIT: Wow. A gutter-voting silent troll aside, I'm the lowest voter of this episode.
I may be gutter-voting, and fairly silent, but a troll I am not! For you see, I do not live under a bridge, and ask people three questions so that they can cross said bridge. If you actually care to read my rant as to why I found this episode "painful" feel free, but I'm sure many would just find it a annoying rant. I put it inside of spoilers so those who want can just skip it.

Spoiler for Reasons:
Old 2007-06-25, 04:48   Link #82
arkxkra
全力全開

tis episode awesome...

Spoiler for 12:
Old 2007-06-25, 05:11   Link #83
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And my predictions for Episode 13?

Morimiya Aono is a regular girl. She lives in a large house (with her parents/alone, because her parents are away on business), and her hobbies include taking photos of the sky, and collecting weird dolls. She goes to school with her best friend Ishizuki Mana, and teaches the art of origami to the latter's imouto Koyori. We see some funny scenes, including the infamous Koyori head-chop for whatever reasons. As far as she knows, she's just a normal teenage girl; but she has no memories of who she was, nor of Yorito or Matsuri. And she's happy the way she is.

In the end, as the sun is setting, Aono returns home. In the distance, we see a young couple who looks strangely familiar......

We're talking about the same person who made Air and Kanon right? Then you have my vote...
The only question is what are they going to throw in for the first part of the episode.

~ Ned Fletcher

You have some good points and you also have some exaggerated points
~ I think for most people it's just a matter of weather or not you like the show (as in: presentation)

----
I too feel that at some point (for me it was when the Matsuri Vs. Aono plot started) the bonds between the characters just got scraped for the sake of dramatic plot ~ personally I would have loved to see less exiting plot and more character development. They could have just made Takeshi agent of secret organisation (no details) and just left it at that for the rest of the show, and I would have been happy.
Old 2007-06-25, 05:39   Link #84
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Ned Fletcher,

There, now if you had explained your views at the beginning, I would have merely thought of you as being harsh instead of terming you as a troll, and offered a lot more respect to you than I did. Like Cats said, you have some good points, and then you have some exaggerated points. And I actually do agree on some of these points, but like I said, you're just being harsh.

Personally, I don't agree with point 6; to me that's an oversimplification, and simply missing the point altogether. But otherwise, you make some pretty good points, and they're points that I even made, myself; truly, Sola suffers in the fact that it traded in its strength, character development, for some questionable plot development. Which is why I said that Sola needs a remake; and c'mon, who would disagree that KyoAni's colour palette would suit it well?
Old 2007-06-25, 06:04   Link #85
xat
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Which is why I said that Sola needs a remake; and c'mon, who would disagree that KyoAni's colour palette would suit it well?
I wouldn't mind working on a remake...
Old 2007-06-25, 06:16   Link #86
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I pretty much agree with Ascaloth's predictions on ep13, and it pretty much goes with my own thoughts that ep12 is the climax, and 13 the aftermath. I wouldn't be surprised at all if at the beginning of ep13 we get some slice-of-life scene featuring Aono and friends

As for the show on the whole ... i can't help but feel rather distant to all the events happening. I still like it above anything else i am getting this season, but not nearly as much as i liked it in the beginning. If my memory serves me right, somewhere along the first episodes i mentioned that i feel the Matsuri x Yorito interactions are rather crucial to the show, and it would lose a good deal of its charm without it ... and this is what i basically see taking effect now.

Sola is a story that is rather dependent on its characters, and the most interesting part of it (Matsuri x Yorito) got taken away just past the halfway point. While the mystery and unpredictability of the plot is something i highly appreciate and enjoy, i can't help but feel it came at the expense of some character depth, because the mystery relied on us not knowing the details behind what makes the character tick.

That didn't matter much as long as we had the Matsuri x Yorito interactions, as those were very interesting, entertaining and overall likable. After that we were left with the bunch angsting in separate corners of the city for several episodes, for reasons not completely understandable to us.

While it isn't nearly as bad as my post might make it sound, it managed to accomplish one thing - degrade the bond i had with all of the characters. (Mana might be an exception).

Yes - i do love Matsuri, but my liking towards her is rooted heavily in the first half of the show. While it was painful seeing her get bashed around, it wasn't nearly as painful as it would have been in the earlier stages of the show.

I used to hate Aono with a passion and she surely hasn't done anything for my opinion to change, and i still think she needs a mental therapy asap... but in the end - hate is a strong emotion, and i don't feel like i care enough to be bothered with continuing to hate her.

Yorito ... still don't know what i think of him at this moment, so i am withholding any comments for now As it is now, i find Takeshi and rozen-loli to be more interesting to observe

I am looking towards the ending very much, but i can already tell it is not going to have the emotional impact it had the potential of delivering. In the end, the series strong point appeared to be its weakest point as well - Matsuri's and Yorito's interactions. Perhaps only 13 episodes is not enough for it.

Cheers!
(Adding "Cheers" in the end as it seems to creep Ascaloth out).
Old 2007-06-25, 06:29   Link #87
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Cheers!
(Adding "Cheers" in the end as it seems to creep Ascaloth out).
It does. This forum only needs one Skane-sama.
Old 2007-06-25, 17:14   Link #88
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
To simplify my thoughts, the ending of sola is either going to be one of the greatest endings ever, OR the entire series could fall apart right here. The plot has been changed and has surprised us throughout the series, I think.
Old 2007-06-25, 18:14   Link #89
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I used to hate Aono with a passion and she surely hasn't done anything for my opinion to change, and i still think she needs a mental therapy asap... but in the end - hate is a strong emotion, and i don't feel like i care enough to be bothered with continuing to hate her.

Yorito ... still don't know what i think of him at this moment, so i am withholding any comments for now As it is now, i find Takeshi and rozen-loli to be more interesting to observe
[/SIZE]
soon "dislike" will become love :3 come over to the light side sky! ^.^

as for yorito...if you think that takeshixmayuko is more interesting then it just goes to show what a boring yaro he is...and i agree...for a main character i seriously cant care less for yorito atm...he is as 2D as ever and nothing has been done to develop his character...a major flaw for this series imo >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-25, 18:21   Link #90
Nemesis2124

I'm curious about something in this episode, and I haven't seen much posted about it either. I realize the ultimate goal was to provoke Aono, but when I first heard the conversation on the roof early on, I was under the impression that Matsuri's sentiments there were legitimate. I mean, it just seemed too verbose, heartfelt and thematically on-target to be only a ploy. But, after reading a few comments here and there, I'm not exactly sure anymore.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts that may tilt my view one way or the other.

EDIT: @Deathkillz

I've always considered Yorito to be a neutral point more than anything. Not great, but not exactly a detriment either. Frankly though, I thought he was pretty good in 12. His defiance really increased my enjoyment of the episode.
Old 2007-06-25, 19:24   Link #91
Icerack

Much like others, I've started to like Yorito and Matsuri less after they just spontaneously decided that they knew what was best for everyone. No doubt that this series should've been more than 13 episodes as everything just went by so fast and there wasn't enough time to develop the characters. My thoughts for next episode is that it'll be concentrated completely on the past resolving what happened then and tying up loose ends. Either that or we'll get the cliffhanger and will have ot wait for the DVDs.
Old 2007-06-25, 20:01   Link #92
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Just watched the Ep! Cant believe everything happened just as I thought it would! Though, for a moment, I actually believed in Matsuri's in the beginning of the episode.

Can't wait for next week!
Old 2007-06-26, 00:03   Link #93
xat
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
...for a main character i seriously cant care less for yorito atm...he is as 2D as ever and nothing has been done to develop his character...a major flaw for this series imo >.<
He's made out of paper after all.
Old 2007-06-26, 00:13   Link #94
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

It's pretty lame to be made out of paper if it doesn't afford you any special powers. And no, being flammable doesn't count.

For a guy that's made out of paper, I find it kinda funny how often he goes out into the rain. The extremely convenient rain summoned by the power of plot necessity.
Old 2007-06-26, 01:29   Link #95
kazune-kun

Wow.. 9/10 the Matsuri vs Aono showdown scene was so good. (I take back what I said before.. Aono doesnt annoy me as much anymore. Her VA did a good job @ especially when she yelled, "You're the one who made things like this!") Her paper clones reminded me of kage bushin no jutsu she should be in Naruto

Last edited by kazune-kun; 2007-06-26 at 02:28.
Old 2007-06-26, 02:08   Link #96
dojikyo

7. Kind of a step back from the previous episode on the drama front. That and Aono is overpowered. Multiple clones, clone bombs that lead into more setups. The action sequences, despite their flaws, continue to be pretty interesting.
Old 2007-06-26, 03:41   Link #97
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
9/10
First of all, for Aono.
Second, for the flashback scenes, especially the one in the beginning. It was nice to see the three together and getting along (understatement!).
Third, the miracle movie of the sky suddenly starting to play. The dramatic pause in movement aside from the clouds was clichéd but pulled off well nonetheless (IMO).
Old 2007-06-26, 08:46   Link #98
xat
*Fansubber

On a different note, I wonder how Takeshi/Mayuko will be managed. Takeshi is still ageing. I'd love to see perhaps a spin-off series/ova detailing the dynamics of their relationship as Takeshi approaches a possible end. In fact, I wouldn't mind a special that goes into Takeshi's conscience as he ages, starting from when Mayuko becomes a yaka.
Old 2007-06-26, 09:21   Link #99
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ That might as well be one of the things we will get to see in one of the two DVD only episodes. Or we might see it in the last episode, if indeed turns out to be "X amount of time later".
Old 2007-06-26, 09:27   Link #100
zetsumei

Wow, what an awesome episode; really well executed. Sola is definitely one of the top 5 anime of the season.
Closed Thread