AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-06-13, 17:58   Link #601
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I had Monday off so I actually watched the US team get crunched. Quite embarrasing watching our file clerks and drive through attendants getting squished by those Czech guys twice their size (oh, but we're quick heh). Anyway, as a newb, could I ask a couple of questions:

1. What exactly is 4 4 2 or 4 5 1? Is this like attackers, middle of field players, defenders?

2. What is +10? I keep seeing this term.

3. Could someone explain the offsides rules for this game? I'm not quite getting it. Is it just that you can't pass the ball past the defenders or is there something else to it?
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 18:17   Link #602
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
on the other hand, fantastic goal by kaka, but dammit Croatia rocks! I salute you valiant warriors for facing death itself and letting in one goal.....it's a victory of a sort in my opinion....
That was a strange game. It seemed Brazil was restraining themselves for some reason. Maybe to cool off favoritism, I don’t know, but they weren’t in their fullest, far from it.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 18:39   Link #603
ser2703

1. What exactly is 4 4 2 or 4 5 1? Is this like attackers, middle of field players, defenders?

Answer: 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 are formations.
The first 4 means 4 defenders, the second stands for the midfielders, and the third are the forwards.

There can be all kinds of formations, it's not always this syntax defense-midfield-offense. It can very well be 4-1-4-1, that could mean the coach that sets that formation divides defenders or midfielders or offense into various degrees, it's all very flexible and up to the coach how he sets the roles of the players, be it defensive, offensive, controlling or whatever.

2: i have no clue what +10 is. Where is it used? Maybe you mixed up the term with something else?

3: offside is hard to explain, but in reality a pretty simple thing.
http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/thel.../offsideex.htm

Anyway, I wouldn't be too ashamed, Czech Republic is one of the most talented teams we have in Europe.

As for people who might be thinking Brazil sucked. This is all part of their regular WC starts. They rarely shine in their opening game. I think i remember them almost losing to Scotland in 98 for instance. It's not like they really cared to show what they can actually do. A world cup is a lot of games in a short timespan, if you plan to go for the title like Brazil does. Throwing away your stamina and exposing all your ability in games where you can win without too much effort is not smart. Although I don't want to say Croatia didn't play well, but the difference in individual player quality is huge, almost as huge as Ronaldo's ass... That guy is is truly a disgrace, playing at top level with a bottom the size of Rio De Janeiro. -_-
I actually witnissed the game in the stadium, and I don't know how it came across on tv, but he barely moved an inch and still he sweated like a pig and was mad he got substituted too... I mean... just cause the tournament is sponsored by mcdonalds doesn't mean he has to go there 3 times a day...

As for the guy way back earlier saying how he US showed all these newsitems on racisme and violence in football... For some reason, every incident with hooligans get huge atention, but what they fail to show is how football brings people together of all ages, color, ranks of society, and they all enjoy a common hobby, and suddenly are the same for the entire time they are at the game. I'm in germany right now, and believe me, the atmosphere is absolutely amazing! People from all over the world are having the time of their lives. I met up with people from literaly all over the world, and because we all love the game so much, it brings people together. Supporters drink together, party together, play football on the streets in front of the stadiums together, and this is all mixed with various countries. Football/soccer breaks barriers!
You know I realize good news is not interesting, and so you won't see that. But i'm sorta tired of hearing how USA feeds their people this bs about how football over here is a dangerous thing with insane people bashing eachothers heads in all the time. It's a tiny majority that might get aggresive and it's only at a very small number of clubs and far from in every european country.

As for bananas thrown on the field, it does happen, but it's a tiny minority of places/people, and most prominently in Spain at a couple of clubs. I agree it's disgraceful, and it's not punished nearly hard enough. All these things imo have nothing to do with the sports at all, it has to do with local problematics. You know very well this kind of stuff happened in USA not too long ago, and racisme also still exists strongly in a number of places in USA too. I seriously don't like it being linked to the game of soccer/football. If you're going to link stuff like this to the game, at least mention all the positives too. It all seems like one-sided bashing of the game people love in the rest of the world.

Last edited by ser2703; 2006-06-13 at 18:55.
ser2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:12   Link #604
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Explaining the offside rule is like platting fog. However, after watching a few games you will start to notice and realise not just what it is but when it's happening. And you'll be all like, 'Hey, wtf? That guy was offside!'

Hard to explain but once picked up easy to grasp and certainly unforgettable.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:29   Link #605
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat
That was a strange game. It seemed Brazil was restraining themselves for some reason. Maybe to cool off favoritism, I don’t know, but they weren’t in their fullest, far from it.
They don't want to risk injuring any of their playes, since some of them are deemed 'overworked' (remember, those like Ronaldinho have played a whole season of football before this).
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 22:18   Link #606
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
goddammit. this isn't American Football, offside rule is so simple, even a kid understands it, (which is why even American kids, can play it. )

In simple American English.

If you recieved the ball on the opposing teams half of the playing field, but far behind any of the "furthest" (meaning the one closest to the opposing teams goalkeeper) who are designated "Defenders" (usually 2 - 5), by a player who is not behind any of the Defenders, then you are OFFSIDE. It's like when in American Football you throw the ball to that lone bloke who's running off ahead to get behind the opposing teams players. You can't do that, unless you get behind the oppposing teams "defenders" with the ball first to do a pass.

This is why "defenders" try to stay in line, so that no one lags behind and allow a predatory striker to recieve the ball "onside" without any of them knowing or having any number of "defenders" to tackle the crap out of him, with a few slam dunks and home runs.

Ok, i'm kidding about the slam dunks & home runs. but the rest is true. honest.

Old 2006-06-14, 02:19   Link #607
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser2703
I mean... just cause the tournament is sponsored by mcdonalds doesn't mean he has to go there 3 times a day...
This made me laugh so hard...the best laugh of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct
They don't want to risk injuring any of their playes, since some of them are deemed 'overworked' (remember, those like Ronaldinho have played a whole season of football before this).
You got a point, but aren't the other players in the same situation?
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 09:49   Link #608
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

yeah, plus they have to work even harder since they know all know Brazil is the real threat, and any team have any realistic chances at the cup must contemplate playing against them.

P.S: Spain smeared Ukraine all over the concrete floor. lol.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-06-14 at 10:19.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 10:01   Link #609
evil-samurai

O.O Spain wins against Ukraine 4:0

I really felt sorry for the keeper on the second goal, he had no chance of saving that well... Spain played alot better and Ukraine didn't play well, though what made it even worse for Ukraine is that they had a player sent off at the start of the second half plus Spain got a penalty kick and a goal from it.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 10:09   Link #610
real folk blues..

spain was good, but they were lucky as well. It wasn't a sending off man, pity that defender. and the second goal, well, like i said. lucky.
the 4th goal however, is a different proposition altogether.
they look like the team to beat this time around.
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 10:20   Link #611
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Woot, Alonso on the mark (funny Luis Garcia actually went and claimed it first ), then a fine free kick by Villa.

The game changed after that sending off, and Ukraine were basically finished. Besides Shevchenko, the whole team seems to be struggling in the German heat. I have a feeling if Ukraine don't pick themselves up, Tunisia might just pip them for second spot, based on their experience on appearing three consecutive World Cups now.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 19:44   Link #612
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

no surprise.

Poland lost to Germany. AGAIN (x11)

Mind you, Germany was sluggish today, but Odonkor was a winner, he turned it around for them.

Anyway All i can say now is..... Trinidad & Tobago!! Go on! Make England Sweat!!! Make us cry! yes! PUUUUNISH US!! Because we don't deserve the hype or the good odds...

*wave the St. George the wrong way*

Old 2006-06-14, 19:56   Link #613
Yakult

So going away from scores; How crazy is the World Cup where you are o_o? Anyone have any pictures of places they went to see the game amongst thousands of other people? Like you know some places they set up gigantic TVs screens and everyone rallied and such. Post pictures if you went to certain places where they set up huge big screen TVs!
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 19:58   Link #614
Kasrkin Squad
For the Emperor

Send a message via AIM to Kasrkin Squad
I have been going for the underdog as much as possible. I think it would help soccor (football) if different countries pass. However at the same time I feel what FIFA is doing (placing the World Cup in placed that aren't soccor crazy ex: US/Korea/Japan/South Africa) is a great thing for the sport.

Now only if Columbia would actaully make it/win the World Cup.

I swear the ball hitting the goal post so many times much have given someone a heart attack.
Kasrkin Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 04:35   Link #615
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult
So going away from scores; How crazy is the World Cup where you are o_o? Anyone have any pictures of places they went to see the game amongst thousands of other people? Like you know some places they set up gigantic TVs screens and everyone rallied and such. Post pictures if you went to certain places where they set up huge big screen TVs!
It is very hard to make good shots in a crowd of people (plus I am too lazy to upload them ). But there are many good photos from i.e. Spiegel (news magazin)... links with pictures of different WC events and stuff:

Fan Fest Opener

World Cup Opening Ceremony

English Fans Invade Germany

Leipziger Volkszeitung (newspaper)

Leipzig becomes orange

some more

Leipzig the day Spain played vs. Ukraine

some more

yahoo (5000+ wc photo gallery +slideshow option)

2006 FIFA World Cup Germany
Old 2006-06-15, 04:47   Link #616
gamey

Just wanted to share with all of us anime-lovers

i got a good website that has good world cup themes for handphone [all teams]- just wanted to share with people

These are great and they’re free .. World Cup team themes @
http://www.thecellcity.com/world-cup...worldcup.shtml
gamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 04:49   Link #617
lamer_de

Quote:
Anyone have any pictures of places they went to see the game amongst thousands of other people? Like you know some places they set up gigantic TVs screens and everyone rallied and such. Post pictures if you went to certain places where they set up huge big screen TVs!
I was in Cologne yesterday for public viewing. There wasn't a game in Cologne, so there were little foreign fans as far as I could could tell. Well, it was the Germany vs. Poland Game anyway, so it was expected that the majority of fans would be Germans

I arrived in Cologne around 6pm, 3 hours before the game started. I arrived early because I thought they'd show the saudi-arabia vs tunesia game, but they didn't

Spoiler for Entry to the Fan Fest:

Spoiler for Inside the Fan Fest Area:

Spoiler for Cologne Cathedral in the back, tabletop football in the front:

Spoiler for Rather tight security, they even checked hats:

Spoiler for More fans that want to get inside:

Spoiler for A group of fans, all fired up for the game:

Spoiler for The "German Fräuleins" enjoy football as well ^_^:

Spoiler for The group around the girl with the lower back tatoo sitting on the polish flag were the only polish supporters I spotted :

Spoiler for Of course there was police inside as well:

Spoiler for 2 1/2 hours to go; they started to play some video clips:

Spoiler for After that, they started to film the audience:

Spoiler for Pre-Show, a group called "Köbes Underground", performing cover of popular songs with lyrics in the cologne dialect:

Spoiler for Before the game, the national anthem of Germany is playing. German coach, Jürgen Klinsmann, on the video wall:

Spoiler for Applause during the pan over the players:

Spoiler for Sometime during the first half:

Spoiler for Halftime. German journalist Gerhard Delling and Günther Netzer (Part of the '72 team that won the UEFA EURO cup, played 230 games in the German Bundesliga) analysing the first half:

Spoiler for Sometime during the second half:

Spoiler for Game over. Germany scored the winning goal in the overtime with 1 or 2 mins remaining play time:

Spoiler for Outside the Fan Fest. A most likely depressed Polish fan.:

Spoiler for Again the entry of the fanfest, cheering fans leaving:

Spoiler for Cologne Central Station, where adidas put up a huge ad spanning the whole ceiling with a painting resembling the one in the Sistine Chapel:

The biggest public viewing area is in Berlin though, where they often have 10.000+ visitors, and of course the cities where the actual game is. But Cologne was still a lot of fun, and they have a second video wall on another place, which I guess was also pretty crowded.

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday, first the Germany vs Ecuador game and then the England vs Sweden game in Cologne, so hopefully I'll meet some English and Swedish football fans.

CU,
lamer_de

Last edited by lamer_de; 2006-06-15 at 05:16.
lamer_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 12:32   Link #618
denpxc

nice pictures!
thanks for sharing
denpxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 13:01   Link #619
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Once again poor Shaka Hislop gets beaten by Steven Gerrard. And near the very end at stoppage time again to boot.

Got to give credit to Trinidad & Tobago for fighting valiantly, to be fair to them, they deserve a goal at least. Erikkson is probably the most relieved man. Sir Alex on the other hand, would be quite livid back in Manchester, I suppose, to see Rooney being sent on by Erikkson.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 14:33   Link #620
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

rooneny schooney. He did notihng. zilch. It was lennon who won it for us. The minute he came on, BANG! We just went from second gear into fifth!

Trinidad & Tobago was fantastic, if only England can have a defence like theirs, they should take heed of how Sancho & Terry played. Yorke should be proud of his Islands.

Like their solo striker, Glen they just ran with it, although it never really had a hope, it was still great fun to watch.
And crouch, i'm ashamed of you, i waited so long for you to score and when you do, you didnt do the robot dance. DAAAAMMMN YOOOU!

Tags
football, soccer