AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-06-20, 15:00   Link #181
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Oh well, I meant it as a joke but whatever.

Anyway, can't bear to see Akune get too much plus points, I've already gone "UOOO MABUSHI!" in chapter 6. Else I'm going to turn blind

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 19:11   Link #182
Arturro

Author of Medaka Box is not a mangaka, but a novelist. He knows standard manga cliches and plot developments, but he is playing with them. Main plot of Medaka Box is created like plot of a novel, or rather like plot of series of novels. In a way it makes MB plot predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
... Only way I see a certain balance is if someone joins the student council and pursues Zenkichi. But then we have a love quadrangle mind screw that also doesn't sit well. ...
It's not going to happen. Currently plot develops in direction showing, that Zenkichi, despite all his efforts is not at the same level as prodigal ones. All his victories over bishi bastard wil be Pyrrhic victories. Akune, Medaka and 2 other members I expect to join council soon, will be shown as almost another species. Probably there will be a girl failing for Zenkichi, but outside of students council. I also expect Zenkichi to quit, or be forced to quit SC around chapter 25. I don't have an idea, how that will be resolved, cause we still don't know Zenkichi social (family) background.

At first I thought that Zenkichi low self-esteem was a reason why they aren't a couple, but now I believe the real reason is Medaka egoistical and childish nature. Medaka desire to help others is egoistical. She doesn't care about other people wishes and feelings, she just want to "help" them on her terms. She is unable to comprehend, that her actions may be painfull to others. As long as Zenkichi will allow her to act like this, she will not grow, and so, she will be unable to be with him. Zenkichi also need to understand, that his desire to protect Medaka is not good for either of them.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 22:06   Link #183
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
It's not going to happen. Currently plot develops in direction showing, that Zenkichi, despite all his efforts is not at the same level as prodigal ones. All his victories over bishi bastard wil be Pyrrhic victories. Akune, Medaka and 2 other members I expect to join council soon, will be shown as almost another species. Probably there will be a girl failing for Zenkichi, but outside of students council. I also expect Zenkichi to quit, or be forced to quit SC around chapter 25. I don't have an idea, how that will be resolved, cause we still don't know Zenkichi social (family) background.

At first I thought that Zenkichi low self-esteem was a reason why they aren't a couple, but now I believe the real reason is Medaka egoistical and childish nature. Medaka desire to help others is egoistical. She doesn't care about other people wishes and feelings, she just want to "help" them on her terms. She is unable to comprehend, that her actions may be painfull to others. As long as Zenkichi will allow her to act like this, she will not grow, and so, she will be unable to be with him. Zenkichi also need to understand, that his desire to protect Medaka is not good for either of them.
Because you can see the future, and know exactly how everything is going to turn out.

Yes.

I think speculation like this is kind of pointless until we see more plot development...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 23:18   Link #184
Jourdal

Yea im with Kaisos, where is that coming from? thats a lot of speculation from 7 chapters
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 05:46   Link #185
Westlo
Lets be reality

He is right about this though when talking about the author.

Quote:
He knows standard manga cliches and plot developments, but he is playing with them
Nishio Ishin isn't considered a god of light novels for nothing...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 06:45   Link #186
Arturro

@Kaisos Erranon, Jourdal

Would you like to bet?

There are my predictions, what will happen before chapter 26:
1. Zenkichi will quit, at least for a moment, from student council.
2. At least 2 other people, considered as geniuses, will join student council.
3. A girl, not beeing a council member, will fall for Zenkichi.
4. In Akune - Zenkichi rivarly, bishi bastard will have more victories.
5. Akune will be shown as a male version of Medaka.

Ad. 5 I've predicted this in my previous post, and Jourdal denied this possibility. Last raw supports my predictions.

So this is the bet. If at least 3 of my predictions will happen before chapter 26, you will have to put in yours signatures such sentence:
"Arturro was right, I was wrong [link to this post]"
If I'll lose, I'll put in my sign such sentence:
"Kaisos Erranon and Jourdal were right, I was wrong [link to this post]".

Are you ready to bet?

Old 2009-06-21, 07:14   Link #187
Jourdal

Sure...hopefully you're wrong though because if you are right i don't picture me sticking around (i.e reading this manga)for 14 more weeks...

It's not that what you say doesn't make sense..i would just hate if it happened.

It's funny how universally hated Akune is...on every forum i've browsed it's pretty much the same adjectives used to describe him.

Reading the translation she says to Akune in a flashback "Give it up,i don't think of you that way. I'll never belong to a single person"

Sounds like a reverse harem definitely

Last edited by Jourdal; 2009-06-21 at 08:03.
Old 2009-06-21, 08:11   Link #188
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
That would be amazingly funny if any one of Arty's predictions came true the next chapter .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 08:29   Link #189
Jourdal

I can't even predict what'll happen because my prediction will be very optimistic..

BTW i've edited the tvtropes page for this series and added this..tell me if i was spot on >_>

Quote:
The Scrappy: The Majority of the fanbase hates Akune (Mind you this is from 7 chapters in) for being a direct rival to Zenkichi and for being an all magnificent bastard of a bishie.
Old 2009-06-21, 11:56   Link #190
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
2. At least 2 other people, considered as geniuses, will join student council.
3. A girl, not beeing a council member, will fall for Zenkichi.
these 2 I can see happening, did from while ago. Others not so much but I wouldn't be surprised about if they do come about.

and no.5 has already been done and dusted

now I'll say it again but wheres my MEGANE-CHAN?!!!
Old 2009-06-21, 14:26   Link #191
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
All I say is, whatever happens, happens

besides, it depends on just how much drama is going to be put into this series. I'm mostly just seeing Akune as a plot device for Zenkichi to grow. And even if those predictions do come true, I'm sure Zenkichi will come out on top in the end

that, and as of the moment, i really don't see Zenkichi leaving to council at all. Even with Akune, he's still very much dedicated to Medaka. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the Medaka fanservice, and wait for Akune's fall (Remember, all Magnificent Bastards get it in the end)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 14:52   Link #192
Jourdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
All I say is, whatever happens, happens

besides, it depends on just how much drama is going to be put into this series. I'm mostly just seeing Akune as a plot device for Zenkichi to grow. And even if those predictions do come true, I'm sure Zenkichi will come out on top in the end

that, and as of the moment, i really don't see Zenkichi leaving to council at all. Even with Akune, he's still very much dedicated to Medaka. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the Medaka fanservice, and wait for Akune's fall (Remember, all Magnificent Bastards get it in the end)
Thats the optimistic position Im taking.

Also Lelouch seems to be the exception to the bolded part.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:06   Link #193
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Er, if you're using tropes to describe characters, you want "Smug Snake", not "Magnificient Bastard", for Akune.

Magnificent Bastards are always likeable villains and really don't have a tendency to 'get it in the end'. That's the point.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:20   Link #194
Jourdal

I should edit that page...Akune is a smug snake as opposed to magnificent bastard like Medaka.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:27   Link #195
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

No, you're still using the trope wrong.

Magnificent Bastards are master manipulators who always have every variable under control, and as such are nigh-unbeatable. If they are ever beaten, they'll just sigh and enact their magnificent backup plan, which puts them on the path back to power once more.

As such, they are always villains, even if they are the protagonist.

Medaka hasn't shown the sheer PLANNING ABILITY required of one. Yet.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:34   Link #196
Jourdal

True..so she's stuck as God mode Sue for now right?
Old 2009-06-21, 15:34   Link #197
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, i don't know much about smug snakes... but I do know that Magnificent Bastards, at least in the stuff I've seen, tend to bite the bullet byt the end, Light and Lelouch being the two ones that I know of

I suppose that smug snakes have a tendency to see their plans unravel right before their eyes just when everything is working so well. I'll bet that's what'll happen to Akune

taking a few liberties here... so Akune is finally able to get rid of Zenkichi and be the one by Medaka's side, and heck, the judo captain manages to get her claws on him (as I said, I'm taking a few liberties here). However, in that case, I can see someone, whether it's Shiranui or someone else ask Zenkichi if this is really what he wants, when he's been otherwise loyal to medaka this entire time. And now really going out on a limb... Akune (and let's say a couple more geniuses that get into the council) start thinking to themselves, "we're geniuses, greater and above all the rest. Even if we are Student council, why should we dirty our hands with these problems? Let's just go and assign others to take care of these problems."

And since we know Medaka is willing to always get personally involved, this does not set well with her. Add Zenkichi coming back after the ever-legendary peptalk... medaka is quite disappointed with Akune, and says something along the lines of "Zenkichi really is better than you"... or something along those lines.

Of course, this is pure speculation based on the fact that this is shounen. Whatever really happens is for the author to write and us to guess

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 15:40   Link #198
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
True..so she's stuck as God mode Sue for now right?
Not every character can be defined by tropes.

Quote:
Well, i don't know much about smug snakes... but I do know that Magnificent Bastards, at least in the stuff I've seen, tend to bite the bullet byt the end, Light and Lelouch being the two ones that I know of
Spoiler for :

Quote:
I suppose that smug snakes have a tendency to see their plans unravel right before their eyes just when everything is working so well. I'll bet that's what'll happen to Akune
Probably, yeah.
Old 2009-06-21, 16:03   Link #199
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

I'm still thinking that Akune will only appear as a genius for a while who eventually ends up being dumber that he thinks/appears, and somehow Zenkichi will expose that. but it won't matter to medaka cuz she doesn't care

you guys are thinking too much
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Spoiler for :
????? when did that happen?

i saw the movies and both of the "rewrites" and don't recall seeing that... do you mean to tell me there's more death note stuff i haven't seen???
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 16:24   Link #200
Arturro

Most interesting thing is that author has put a plot, lets use manga terminology, fitting for seinen and drama into shounen and comedy. It's risky, people tends to like stories they know (or rather recognize) and expecting, with protagonist they could identify with. On the other hand too predictable stories are fun to read (if written well), but fast to forget. So far Nishio Ishin has used standard shounen cliches, just slighly modyfing them, and put a seinen plot into shounen. Thanks to that he created story everyone could recognize, but with some novelty.
IMHO Akune is not used to force Zenkichi to grow (standard shounen cliche), but to cause readers to identify with main protagonist more. How many of you have lost a girl you have a crush for a jerk somewhat simmilar to Akune?
Akune doesn't need to grow, he is a fine young man already. Medaka is the one in need to mature.
I'm a book worm I read a lot, and I read really fast, as a average, since my 4 grade I'm reading about 200-230 books yearly, comics, manuals, school books etc. not included. Because of that it;s really hard for me to find a well written story which is not predictable for me. And that's a reason why I've found Medaka Box so interesting. Althought I've some predictions about main plot, there is lots of small plot devices which are unknown, and unpredictable for me:
1. Zenkichi family/social status. Him beeing a son of Medaka family servant/coworker is most probable, almost clilche, but I've feeling im my guts, there will be another explanation.
2. It's a shounen manga, so Zenkichi must get rid of Akune. Standard shounen plot would include Zenkichi becoming stronger/smarter/etc. but it won't fit in that story. I suppose after Zenkichi resignatnion, Medaka will also resign, if so, how they will be back into student council?
3. How another love interest for Zenkichi will be introduced into story? I doubt it will be judo club capitan or Shiranui, another childhood friend doesn't fit either.
4. Akune couldn't stay as bastard for too long, or readers will become to angry, so how author intend to turn him into likeable bastard? Most probably Akune will save Zenkichi soon.
5. Role of Shiranui. She has to much "screen time" to be just a person who is giving readers (Zenkichi) insight what others student are thinking abous student council. Zenkichi male classmate (dont remember his name) is good enought for this. She could be a potential love interest for Zenkichi but I doubt that.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council