AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-17, 07:34   Link #361
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn View Post
The cultural differences aside, I think that BNHA has already shown the consequences of having a school where heroes are being raised.
  • Deku raises the questions of children with quirks that are too strong for their underdeveloped bodies
  • Deku and Todoroki raise the question of what to do with children who will undermine authority regardless
  • Bakugo and Shinsou raise questions on quirks that are typically villain-like and may be unsuitable for other aspects of heroic work

Another thing to remind ourselves of is that unlike in the world of Civil War, most people have a quirk in some way or fashion. Being quirk less is rare after all. And amongst those with quirks, most have quirks that are too weak, for example Deku's mom told the doctor that she has weak telekinesis and that Deku's dad has something with fire. This makes the push for heroic schools rather easy.

However , I find several things to be lacking amidst this. If we look at All Might's flashback, then it should be safe to assume that the era of professional heroism is relatively young. Nana and Gran Torino might be one of the few people with quirks doing heroic work. And if we add that a young high school kid All Might feels that the people live in fear, then we can assume that crime is at an all time high and that law enforcement has trouble keeping up. Why? Quirks.

Soon after this sudden mutation of the human gene, it's impossible for there not to be a bunch of people who use their quirks selfishly. This in turn also gives birth to villains, especially when they're born with strong quirks. And super villains like All for One, give birth to organized crime on a level that has never been seen before.

In the midst of all of this, I wonder. Where do vigilantes fit in this? Quirk experimentation? Militarization of quirk users? Quirk elitism? Quirk families/dynasties? And most importantly, quirk vs quirkless situations? I can't think that humans welcomed and accepted this change. There must've been some initial backlash, especially for those whose quirks barely make them look human (Tokoyami, Ashido, Kamui woods, Orca guy and that Stain fanboy come to mind).

Lastly, I think that where the heroic schools like UA really failed, is in their lack of recruitment. Rather than merely having prospects come at them, they should be the ones to actively scout children with strong quirks. There's probably a lot of people with villain like quirks like Bakugo and Shinsou, who can be saved from going down a terrible path. At the same time, giving people a place to freely exert their quirks in a learning environment will save children whose quirks are too strong for their own good and children who just want to use their quirks and master them. Especially the latter group can quickly devolve into a path of villainy, as this group might feel suffocated under the lack of outlets for their quirks.

yes, I think most of those are real issues in HeroAca's society.

Eraserhead mentioned that UA's entrance exam made no sense where physical quirks were clearly favoured.

Shigaraki hated the current society, not only because of his past, but also because he found it irritating when people were wearing dumb smiles despite having deadly and destructive quirks.

Hero society now is very flawed. The current social structure was probably meant to be temporary; however, little change has been implemented.

IMO, the ranking system is a bit weird, it makes heroes into a hybrid of law enforcement + idol works
Old 2018-06-17, 08:13   Link #362
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What choice do they have? No one else has offered them what All Might has, and most of them are too young to remember a world without him.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 08:43   Link #363
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn View Post
In the midst of all of this, I wonder. Where do vigilantes fit in this? Quirk experimentation? Militarization of quirk users? Quirk elitism? Quirk families/dynasties? And most importantly, quirk vs quirkless situations? I can't think that humans welcomed and accepted this change. There must've been some initial backlash, especially for those whose quirks barely make them look human (Tokoyami, Ashido, Kamui woods, Orca guy and that Stain fanboy come to mind).
Some of these questions have been lightly addressed in one way or another. There is a spin off manga that actually focus's on vigilante's; long story short, vigilantism is illegal. For Quirk families/dynasties need only look to endevor and Todoroki. And i think we felt some of the elitism when it comes to Bakugou; the world seemed to fawn over him based on nothing more than his quirk, while Deku was shunned for not having one... With experimentation, i feel like the implication is that its not condoned, given how characters react to the noumus. The principal was actually experimented on in the past, but he's a mouse not a human, Experimenting on humans? not likely

And we also know from a conversation from All Might and Deku that there was indeed an intense amount of backlash when quirks first appeared. Its even theorize that their society suffered major stagnation in advancement because of all the conflict with it being theorize that if quirk's never showed up, Humans would have been exploring the stars by now. It actually does kind of explain how they could have a seemingly ordinary modern society and yet still have high tech gadgets such as giant robots and heroic support gear. Basically it sounds like MHA's world went through an X-men like period of fear and hatred, and what we are seeing is the positive end result. Quirks became the majority and society adapted to the new status quo

Though what I'd like to see is how the rest of the world deals with Quirks. Other countries are bound to have different standards for what they would allow and their cultures would likely react in different ways. Though i do think the militarization of Quirks would be a HUGE thing to consider; most of the world having super powers would have a dramatic impact in that regard.
Old 2018-06-17, 09:20   Link #364
Chosen_Hero

If only they had secret identities instead of being public faces of whom everyone had knowledge of, maybe then they would be more difficult to find for the villains who practically can just google (or whatever it is call in BnHverse) their names and find almost everything on them.
Old 2018-06-17, 09:28   Link #365
Random14

My impression of their world is that after a period of chaos, they managed to stabilize things by restricting and integrating quirks into society. Actually, since 4/5 of the world's population has been "replaced" by people with quirks so maybe its probably a lot later then our present.

Enforcement isn't super strict, like using extra arms is ok but laser eyes obviously aren't, outside of self-defense (as that dog police chief mentioned). Its why its such a big deal that Ida went off on his own, and why he was so against them repeating his mistake. I think it was mentioned that Uraraka's quirk would be quite useful to her parents' construction company but she would have to be registered to help them out, something like that (and it still wouldn't pay that well).

They're past the X-men stage, since quirks are the vast majority and the hero system has been around for a while. Something like Tiger and Bunny (another hero-inspired series, and one of my favorites) has a different take on the whole superhero thing and would probably be closer to X-men.

Gran Torino said he only got a teacher license so he could teach All Might during his school year and UA had already been established of course, so the hero system had probably been in place for some time by then. So sounds like things were a lot more unstable back then, due to the lack of a "pillar" and of course All For One running things from behind the scenes. Since All For One was crippled, All Might's iconic status has helped bring about peace... but that era is over now.

I don't think secret identities are that relevant since here Heroes are basically just part of the police force, or rather, more like freelancers? So while they (or their families) could be targeted, up until now the villains had been driven underground so it wasn't that much of a risk, well, no more than any other public official. Even if something happened, well, probably a response like we saw here, to save face. All Might kept his "true form" secret because he's both inspiration and deterrent. He's still inspiring, as the cheering crowds show but this victory cost him a lot too. He's still loved, but Deku understands his time is over. And it'll still be a long while until Deku can succeed him. Still, what a way to go out. And now it'll be up to both their heirs to finish things up.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 09:29   Link #366
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Though what I'd like to see is how the rest of the world deals with Quirks. Other countries are bound to have different standards for what they would allow and their cultures would likely react in different ways. Though i do think the militarization of Quirks would be a HUGE thing to consider; most of the world having super powers would have a dramatic impact in that regard.
Personally I prefer the Shinsekai Yori take on a world where a significant percentage of the population acquires super powers. But it would indeed be interesting for the series to take a look outside.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 11:08   Link #367
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
His attitude toward Heroes? Yeah, I don't think it'd matter who killed his parents or why. His attitude toward AFO and his plans? I can't imagine it not having a huge impact. At the least he'd find a way to kill the bastard, and I could imagine it even leading him to developing a new league of "true heroes", vigilantes who completely ignored the rules and sneered at public opinion, dedicated solely to eliminating villains in pursuit of a world where people like him won't happen. Which would frankly make for an interesting evolution of the League, maybe making public opinion shakier still when their crimes start to shift to killing killers.
It depends on Shigaraki's circumstances. He calls the hand he wears on his face "father", you can only imagine how fucked up his backstory is. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents abused him and AFO rescued him from them. In that case, he wouldn't care about being the grandson of All Might's mentor, or it could lead to him hating All Might even more because he didn't even protect his mentor's family.
Old 2018-06-17, 11:24   Link #368
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wasn't there a joke going around that X-Men, Tiger and Bunny, and BnHA were in the same world at different points in its history? I'd add Top 10 as a future point where quirks are so banal there are no super heroes anymore, just cops in costumes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 13:49   Link #369
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It depends on Shigaraki's circumstances. He calls the hand he wears on his face "father", you can only imagine how fucked up his backstory is. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents abused him and AFO rescued him from them. In that case, he wouldn't care about being the grandson of All Might's mentor, or it could lead to him hating All Might even more because he didn't even protect his mentor's family.
My point was the implication of AFO's intent. The way he gloated about having Shimura's grandson and saying All Might shouldn't be surprised as it's something he'd obviously do, it's made quite clear that AFO didn't choose him out of any concern or desire to help. Finding out that the one person who helped you did so because he thought it'd be a good way to troll his enemy could have some bad impact on his impression of him. Doesn't matter whether he was "saved" from abusive parents or "saved" after his parents were killed, that initial realization that he was never more than a pawn could hit deep. True, he could also shrug it off as something he'd do too or something, but at the very least I don't believe he could know this and still be truly "loyal" to AFO.

Also, as for Norn's previous question, while we don't look deep we do see some of the things mentioned. Stain is a vigilante of sorts; Deku suffered constant persecution and dismissal for his Quirkless status. Additionally, while Quirks are still only a few generations old, we have seen at least mention of the beginning of dynasties with quirk-based marriage and one of the most powerful heroes ever specifically aiming to breed a superior child. If he doesn't change I'd be willing to bet he'll try to decide his son's wife too, in order to further enhance the family blood. We haven't seen much of the beginning, but there's definitely a lot going on now.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-19, 16:36   Link #370
Irenesharda

Wow....I finally got a chance to see this latest episode and just wow...

I could have never guessed a better end to this. All Might shined like he never has before and that United States of Smash was both apropos, but all just made me feel so happy, amazed, proud, patriotic, and just all around left me with a huge smile on my face and wanting to stand and salute.

And that last bit to Deku about it being his turn, it just all pulled on the heartstrings so much.

However, the fact that they didn't kill All for One has me very concerned. That's not the kind of villain you leave alive. I mean, what kind of prison do you use for someone like that? So, it's going to be interesting to see where that leads.

I honestly have no idea where the show will go from here. All the plot threads they've been leading to, have kind of been resolved so I'll be going into this second half of the series even more blind than before.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-20, 04:49   Link #371
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
If only they had secret identities instead of being public faces of whom everyone had knowledge of, maybe then they would be more difficult to find for the villains who practically can just google (or whatever it is call in BnHverse) their names and find almost everything on them.
Its interesting we haven't heard many stories of Villains attacking Heroes at home. But I suppose the advantage the Villains have is its probably far easier for them to find out the full details and limits of heroes power then it is for heroes to find about their precise limits. Granted the Villains seems pretty disorganized for the most part since All Might shut down AFO operation in the past.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-20, 11:07   Link #372
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
However, the fact that they didn't kill All for One has me very concerned. That's not the kind of villain you leave alive. I mean, what kind of prison do you use for someone like that? So, it's going to be interesting to see where that leads.
Heroes are neither judge nor executioner.

Also this is a society where various kinds of abilities are widespread. I find it highly unlikely that he will just "bust out" like nothing happened.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 10:38   Link #373
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think the matter at hand is whether or not a maximum security prison is enough to hold AfO in long enough for his trial/sentence to be carried out - he is known to have warp powers, will Aizawa be staring at him all the time?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 15:42   Link #374
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Do you even know what a maximum security prison is like in MHA?
Old 2018-06-21, 21:27   Link #375
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Do you even know what a maximum security prison is like in MHA?
Do you? Because I'm curious. We haven't seen one yet to my knowledge.

Only thing I think can be said with fair probability is that they don't have much in the way of anti-Quirk technology or anti-teleport etc., as this would be much more widely applied in high-security areas. Efforts would be taken to utilize this technology to disable villains in the field, and Heroes would not have near as much work. That said, precautions would probably be taken to reduce the likelihood of Quirks being applicable. Special walls designed to withstand all kinds of things including fire, corrosion, impact, etc. Minimal contact with strict rules about behavior to minimize the risk of any human or machine near him being taken over (control Quirks seem to involve triggers at times). Perhaps sensory deprivation to prevent people with location-related Quirks from identifying where they are, or sensory interference to make it hard to concentrate. It'd be interesting to see the ideas they have to counteract Quirks, but they'll need ALL of them for him.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 22:55   Link #376
Twi

Manga-knowledge kind of spoils some of us, so we can't say what we've seen.
Old 2018-06-21, 23:14   Link #377
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Do you? Because I'm curious. We haven't seen one yet to my knowledge.

Only thing I think can be said with fair probability is that they don't have much in the way of anti-Quirk technology or anti-teleport etc., as this would be much more widely applied in high-security areas. Efforts would be taken to utilize this technology to disable villains in the field, and Heroes would not have near as much work. That said, precautions would probably be taken to reduce the likelihood of Quirks being applicable. Special walls designed to withstand all kinds of things including fire, corrosion, impact, etc. Minimal contact with strict rules about behavior to minimize the risk of any human or machine near him being taken over (control Quirks seem to involve triggers at times). Perhaps sensory deprivation to prevent people with location-related Quirks from identifying where they are, or sensory interference to make it hard to concentrate. It'd be interesting to see the ideas they have to counteract Quirks, but they'll need ALL of them for him.
No, I do not know. But if he's just going to break out with the snap of his fingers, then everybody who captured him like that would have to be absolutely retarded, but since they are not, I am going to have to assume that there is some kind of countermeasure. Whether it's some kind of anti quirk technology, or maybe some kind of drug, or perhaps tailor-made prisons (see Avatar The Last Airbender), or something I simply do not have the imagination for, I don't know. But I find it highly unlikely they're just going to put him in a mundane prison, because like I said, that would mean everybody involved, including All Might, would be too dumb to live.
Old 2018-06-23, 06:00   Link #378
Random14

Well, we saw a bit of what the supervillain prison looked like, though they rearranged a few scenes. I wonder if they'll add them back in later.

I might've teared up more this week than last week even. First that music for when they were running towards each other on the beach, and then Texas Smash! So All Might's hero career is finally over and everyone is reacting to that. But seeing them hug, aw. And then later on with Izuku's mom, well, it had been building up to that for a while. Her viewpoint is quite understandable, but then seeing All Might with his head bowed. The dilemma of any parent watching their child go into a dangerous profession. And she still doesn't know just how heavy Izuku's burden is (but that is still a big secret).

I like the dorm idea. With villains running around who knows where, they can't let the students commute to school anymore. So that's where Bakugo got his personality from. That part was just hilarious, but looks like Bakugo's put some of it together. They've captured the big bad, but still hard to call it a draw even, with All Might retired. Well, its nice to get back to some of the humor, the dorms next week look fun.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 06:44   Link #379
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I always cry with any scene involving Deku's mom.
Old 2018-06-23, 08:06   Link #380
sikvod00

My minor complaint with the latest episode is that I would have loved to see them get permission from the rest of the student's parents!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super hero