AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 12 19.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 32.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 29.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 16.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-04, 08:02   Link #61
Giriath

You guys are all small time. What we need is Ohana x Yuina!

It will never happen, but it is certainly implied in subtext, especially in this chapter.
Old 2011-07-04, 08:10   Link #62
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giriath View Post
You guys are all small time. What we need is Ohana x Yuina!

It will never happen, but it is certainly implied in subtext, especially in this chapter.
That's some pretty blatant subtext.

Spoiler for subtext dawg:
Old 2011-07-04, 08:28   Link #63
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's some pretty blatant subtext.

That's not subtext. That's "someone drops his pants and slaps you in the face with the point" text.
(then again, it's Japan; totally different cultural attitudes about female to female affection)
Old 2011-07-04, 09:04   Link #64
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMeral16 View Post
Aside from that one minute where Ohana just HAD to think about Ko and tear up, wasn't this episode much more fun and refreshing?
That's what brought me back after an absence from the past three episodes. I can appreciate what drama does for a series, but it's not something I can easily discuss, at least not naturally. But when the show gets a little closer to what it was during that 3~7 quintet, I will gladly indulge in it.

Last edited by Midonin; 2011-07-04 at 09:21.
Old 2011-07-04, 09:31   Link #65
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Nice little bit of fan service in ep 14
Old 2011-07-04, 09:57   Link #66
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Points to Ohana for having the cutest butt ever.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-07-04, 10:13   Link #67
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Points to Ohana for having the cutest butt ever.
I'll say that's a flat butt. Everything about her is pretty flat.

Then again, there are some people who like such attributes.
Old 2011-07-04, 10:19   Link #68
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Hanasaku Iroha,the show that gets the director of FMA:brotherhood to storyboard its beach episode

Nothing much to say that hasn't already been said.

My favorite parts of the OP is how Ohana is getting chased by the heron and the way Minko rides that bike.Both were bief but nice touches.
Old 2011-07-04, 10:40   Link #69
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I'll say that's a flat butt. Everything about her is pretty flat.

Then again, there are some people who like such attributes.
It's a little flat, but I don't really have a preference. Round, bubble, pert, whatever. Her's in particular goes with her stature, so it's inherently cute.

<3

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-07-04, 11:48   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I don't think it can really be compared to the relationship that existed in Bakuman.
There's a difference between trolling and bad writing Romance in a series/book is like baking. You've got to take raw ingredients and make them into something via complex chemical reactions. Right now Ohana/Ko bassically consists of raw sugar. You wouldn't serve that to someone at a restaurant would you?
If you think this is bad writing, you're entitled to your opinion. I think she's doing a very good job transferring Ohana's confused adolescent state of mind to the viewer, and it's pissing some of them off.

Quote:
Now that's what I call festing it up!
Old 2011-07-04, 11:58   Link #71
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If you think this is bad writing, you're entitled to your opinion. I think she's doing a very good job transferring Ohana's confused adolescent state of mind to the viewer, and it's pissing some of them off.

I don't think he's saying the show's writing is bad. I think he's just implying that making Ko/Ohana canon with what he sees as insufficient build up for their relationship would frankly be in poor taste. I think Roger thinks the writer is deliberately portraying their relationship as (aside from adolescent agonizing) mostly kinda fluffy and shallow, and to abruptly switch gears near the end with little set up would ring hollow.
Old 2011-07-04, 11:59   Link #72
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
If you think this is bad writing, you're entitled to your opinion.
I thought it was a pretty well articulated and logically thought out opinion myself

Quote:
I think she's doing a very good job transferring Ohana's confused adolescent state of mind to the viewer, and it's pissing some of them off.
I think Ohana is being portrayed quite realistically as being confused and adolescent. That is an interesting aspect of her personality as she grows and matures.

I'm just amused that some people aren't making the logical jump to realizing that said "Confused Adolescent state of mind" is a reason that many relationships between teenagers don't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessing-love View Post
I don't think he's saying the show's writing is bad. I think he's just implying that making Ko/Ohana canon with what he sees as insufficient build up for their relationship would frankly be in poor taste. I think Roger thinks the writer is deliberately portraying their relationship as (aside from adolescent agonizing) mostly kinda fluffy and shallow, and to abruptly switch gears near the end with little set up would ring hollow.
HIVEMIND!

Yes. That's pretty much it.
Old 2011-07-04, 12:06   Link #73
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's a legit opinion, but I think if you're familiar with how Okada does things you'll eventually come to see that's not the direction she's going for. She's actually set up Kou as the one constant element in Ohana's psyche - not an episode passes where she doesn't agonize over him, whether he's physically present or not. At the very least, the resolution of the series needs to center around that relationship being sorted out, even if they don't end up together, or that really will be sloppy writing.

Okada has written a lot more than True Tears - there's plenty of evidence out there to be analyzed if you look for it.
Old 2011-07-04, 12:27   Link #74
Lessing-love

Quote:
That's a legit opinion, but I think if you're familiar with how Okada does things you'll eventually come to see that's not the direction she's going for. She's actually set up Kou as the one constant element in Ohana's psyche - not an episode passes where she doesn't agonize over him, whether he's physically present or not. At the very least, the resolution of the series needs to center around that relationship being sorted out, even if they don't end up together, or that really will be sloppy writing.
\.
Of course. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who doesn't agree there needs to be definite resolution. But we're not arguing for just letting the Ko thing slip away; we're just arguing that it doesn't feel like Okada is setting them up to be a workable end game couple, and can't see it happening without some really inorganic, contrived plot twists.
Old 2011-07-04, 12:44   Link #75
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Eh let's see

Kou-- has some attraction to Ohana, hasn't done much, may get with other girl. Ohana gets sad because she has no idea what to do. The main problem is that he's too far away and both are unwilling to do anything.

Tooru-- He is attracted physically to Ohana and is there. He has a motorcycle. But honestly, being there's not a good enough reason.

Since any pairing makes sense as the last here, I'll just go with Ohana x Nako.

Of course, since this is an Okada script, the least deserving person should win so... *runs away*

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-04, 12:52   Link #76
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I still ship HonanaXKissuiso

When Okada said this would be an anime about learning to love your work,she meant it litteraly
Old 2011-07-04, 12:54   Link #77
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I still ship HonanaXKissuiso

When Okada said this would be an anime about learning to love your work,she meant it litteraly
Pretty much.

The main problem I have with romance in this is that the viable guys are pretty lame, at this rate it's not about who "wins", if Ohana's getting with them in their current shape, she has everything to "lose"

Atm, I'd recommend the show not delve that deep into romance, otherwise I'm probably gonna laugh at whatever happens and feel sorry for our poor heroine.

Edit:
Basically I don't want it to end up like Mai-HiME where
Spoiler:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-04, 13:00   Link #78
littlegal100

I always wondered why Yuina was always seen as OP as if she was a main character considering her little screentime but this episode definately made her more relevant to the show.

The episode overall was nice nothing amazing but enjoyable to watch. A breather from the last 3 episodes which were pretty heavy on drama and romance. Though I guess there isn't much to talk about this episode which is why this thread discussion is being derailed with Ko and Ohana's romance
Old 2011-07-04, 13:46   Link #79
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Pretty much.

The main problem I have with romance in this is that the viable guys are pretty lame, at this rate it's not about who "wins", if Ohana's getting with them in their current shape, she has everything to "lose"

Atm, I'd recommend the show not delve that deep into romance, otherwise I'm probably gonna laugh at whatever happens and feel sorry for our poor heroine.

Edit:
Basically I don't want it to end up like Mai-HiME where
Spoiler:
All the characters, but especially the men, have some way to develop in this show; Ko and Tooru have good qualities, but they largely seem to be hidden by their shyness or insensitivity. Changing their characters into convincing love interests wouldn't take so much development as some guys seem to be demanding, just a realisation.

Ko is missing out on Ohana's current development, but he's known her for a some time already (a childhood flashback would be useful here), and shouldn't take too long to see that she's changed, if he cares about her on any firm basis. As someone who like(d) her, he should know more about the emerging best side of Ohana than she does.
Old 2011-07-04, 13:49   Link #80
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That's a legit opinion, but I think if you're familiar with how Okada does things you'll eventually come to see that's not the direction she's going for.------------

Okada has written a lot more than True Tears - there's plenty of evidence out there to be analyzed if you look for it.
I'll admit I AM a bit curious as to what particular factors present in Okada's other work is being referred to here. I've heard this particular line of thought brought up many times during discussion in these threads but I've not quite grasped what the comparisons being made are.

Keep in mind that the core of my dubious assessment stems from the seeming lack of personal interactions between Ko and Ohana that generally you expect to see as the foundation of a romantic relationship in most stories. Yes. Ohana reminisces allot but there's not all that much developing understanding going on between the two.

All this is in a large part a natural consequence of Ohana and Ko spending so much time separated from eachother. And from my brief read over of some of the series that Okada has done, I'm not seeing the emphasis on the primaries being so dramatically out of touch with eachother.
Quote:
She's actually set up Kou as the one constant element in Ohana's psyche - not an episode passes where she doesn't agonize over him, whether he's physically present or not. At the very least, the resolution of the series needs to center around that relationship being sorted out, even if they don't end up together, or that really will be sloppy writing.
Obviously. There needs to be some closure since Ko, whether some people like it or not is a major element of Ohana's character. My contention is that I'm not seeing the personal character growth/interplay which would suggest something more than this.
Closed Thread