Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2016-03-19, 02:16   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - General Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread for Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
________
Personally I dont think this one deserve episodic thread since it re-run. So just use this thread if there is changes. Or if you didnt watch OVA version.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 18:38   Link #2
wissenschaft

I'm not sure how many people watched Gundam Unicorn's OVA so hopefully a TV viewing will bring in more fans? I really enjoyed Unicorn. I'm not sure why it was made an OVA and not a TV show in the first place? They couldn't get the funding? Well, whatever. It will be nice to see a full 2 cour UC gundam show one last time.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 20:23   Link #3
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
I'm not sure how many people watched Gundam Unicorn's OVA so hopefully a TV viewing will bring in more fans? I really enjoyed Unicorn. I'm not sure why it was made an OVA and not a TV show in the first place? They couldn't get the funding? Well, whatever. It will be nice to see a full 2 cour UC gundam show one last time.
With OVAs they can take their time with it and made the animation better without as tight of schedules. They can also release it in theaters in this format.
Old 2016-03-19, 22:01   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Actually, releasing heavily UC-related stuff as TV series is actually an exception to the norm. SunDai has been relegating UC stuffs into OVAs since Victory Gundam in 1993 precisely because they feel those series won’t be able to attract new fans much because they need to know what happened in the previous series to a certain degree to click with the story. Victory’s low rating & middling sales and G Gundam’s success only reinforce the idea that UC-stuff is not good for TV series and it’s better to give the slot to Alternate Universe (AU) series. I guess the insanely high sales of the OVAs made some Bandai execs confident that it will at least make a good marketing for the franchise as a TV series.

Heck, even I myself doubt how newcomers will enjoy Unicorn TV. They’ll certainly like the eye candy animation but I don’t think they can appreciate the parts where the characters are having long talks and dialogues about the spacenoids society’s condition after some major wars (in MSG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA), Zeon remnants, Bright Noa, AEUG and many other references Unicorn made to previous entry. I can already imagine some newcomers comment in various forum and Youtube complaining “Too much talking!!”, “It’s really heavy with infodump!!”, "The setting & story is confusing!!" or something like that that will only give bad rep to Unicorn. I hope SunDai know what they are doing and able to optimally use the additional footage to make each 22-23-minute episode more entertaining. I mean, some people already hate the talky episodes of IBO. If so, how can they put up with the talky parts of Unicorn?
Old 2016-03-19, 22:15   Link #5
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Heck, even I myself doubt how newcomers will enjoy Unicorn TV. They’ll certainly like the eye candy animation but I don’t think they can appreciate the parts where the characters are having long talks and dialogues about the spacenoids society’s condition after some major wars (in MSG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA), Zeon remnants, Bright Noa, AEUG and many other references Unicorn made to previous entry. I can already imagine some newcomers comment in various forum and Youtube complaining “Too much talking!!”, “It’s really heavy with infodump!!”, "The setting & story is confusing!!" or something like that that will only give bad rep to Unicorn. I hope SunDai know what they are doing and able to optimally use the additional footage to make each 22-23-minute episode more entertaining. I mean, some people already hate the talky episodes of IBO. If so, how can they put up with the talky parts of Unicorn?
THIS.

Given how today's viewers' general lack of attention span and want for flashy battles with little to no exposition, I'm really don't know how new viewers will rate this.
Old 2016-03-19, 22:25   Link #6
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Actually, releasing heavily UC-related stuff as TV series is actually an exception to the norm. SunDai has been relegating UC stuffs into OVAs since Victory Gundam in 1993 precisely because they feel those series won’t be able to attract new fans much because they need to know what happened in the previous series to a certain degree to click with the story. Victory’s low rating & middling sales and G Gundam’s success only reinforce the idea that UC-stuff is not good for TV series and it’s better to give the slot to Alternate Universe (AU) series. I guess the insanely high sales of the OVAs made some Bandai execs confident that it will at least make a good marketing for the franchise as a TV series.

Heck, even I myself doubt how newcomers will enjoy Unicorn TV. They’ll certainly like the eye candy animation but I don’t think they can appreciate the parts where the characters are having long talks and dialogues about the spacenoids society’s condition after some major wars (in MSG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA), Zeon remnants, Bright Noa, AEUG and many other references Unicorn made to previous entry. I can already imagine some newcomers comment in various forum and Youtube complaining “Too much talking!!” or “It’s really heavy with infodump!!” or something like that that will only give bad rep to Unicorn. I hope SunDai know what they are doing and able to optimally use the additional footage to make each 22-23-minute episode more entertaining. I mean, some people already hate the talky episodes of IBO. If so, how can they put up with the talky parts of Unicorn?
Talky episodes of IBO hardly do anything to the whole situation, more like explaining same things but through different wording (at least, that's what I feel when I saw them talking, IBO talking is hardly an infodump IMO).

Also, different from IBO which not connected to any previous Gundam, Unicorn connected to MSG, Z, ZZ and CCA.
Newcomers should be aware that they're watching something related to previous Gundam (there's Thunderbolt promoting UC too); isn't Unicorn OVA managed to gain popularity that even newcomer start looking at UC era? Well, it still depend on how staffs worked on extra time they got though as Unicorn series technically have longer duration (as a whole) compare to the OVA.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 22:27   Link #7
wissenschaft

Correction: I didn't just like Unicorn. I LOVED it. lol So I'm all aboard the hype train for the TV version.

I think with Iron Blood Orphans, its lopsided. The heaviest exposition is at the start of the show. Maybe its because of its OVA nature but every episode of Unicorn had a nice mixture of dialogue and combat. And OH MY was the combat breathtaking.

I suppose I'm an oddball though since while my introduction to the Gundam franchise was Gundam Wing, I've ended up loving the UC timeline shows the most. But what the heck do I know? I enjoyed gundam reconguista and hated Gundam 00 so yeah......lol Maybe I just have a love affair with Tomino. lol
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 23:03   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Talky episodes of IBO hardly do anything to the whole situation, more like explaining same things but through different wording (at least, that's what I feel when I saw them talking, IBO talking is hardly an infodump IMO).
The conversation between McG & Gaelio in episode 01, 04 and the latest one in episode 22 would like to argue that. Their dialogues are practically the same as Cardeas & Zinnerman's long conversation about a certain mcguffin, but shorter due to time constraint per-episode compared to OVA's long stretch of duration.

Quote:
isn't Unicorn OVA managed to gain popularity that even newcomer start looking at UC era?
Only after Gundam fans who knew its existence praised it like crazy and started to recommend it to everyone as OVAs are not as well-exposed compared to TV series. Without those positive word-of-mouth, it won't be as popular with newcomers. Even those newcomers are mostly restricted to mecha-fans IIRC.
Old 2016-03-20, 00:06   Link #9
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
The conversation between McG & Gaelio in episode 01, 04 and the latest one in episode 22 would like to argue that. Their dialogues are practically the same as Cardeas & Zinnerman's long conversation about a certain mcguffin, but shorter due to time constraint per-episode compared to OVA's long stretch of duration.

Only after Gundam fans who knew its existence praised it like crazy and started to recommend it to everyone as OVAs are not as well-exposed compared to TV series. Without those positive word-of-mouth, it won't be as popular with newcomers. Even those newcomers are mostly restricted to mecha-fans IIRC.
I could remember 01 and 04 but after that thanks to spending most time repeating same topic through different wording.

Still, the outcome will be depend on how staffs worked so Unicorn series make difference from the OVA. Overall series duration is longer than the OVAs, I do expect some difference so that Unicorn worked well as a series.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 00:24   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I could remember 01 and 04 but after that thanks to spending most time repeating same topic through different wording.
That's not true. McG actually gave a lot more new information about the history of previous war & Gjallarhorn and even some twists through his conversation with Gaelio in the second cour. Saying further will be going far into OT & spoiler territories.
Old 2016-03-20, 09:39   Link #11
Router25
World Connector. I think

Spoiler for senseless math:

I would hope that OVA 4 battle scene would have extended battles in the TV series
Old 2016-03-20, 18:21   Link #12
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router25 View Post
Spoiler for senseless math:

I would hope that OVA 4 battle scene would have extended battles in the TV series
Or better yet completely redo the battle and give us the proper Dakar one.....of course with some small changes to fit the reduced cast and OVA plot
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-24, 08:32   Link #13
xeviouses

Anybody else getting that weird faint hope that they'll use Banaghers fate in the LN for the ending? I know its just a straight up tv version of the OVAs but still.

Honestly I just want extended battles for Unicorn, plus the infodump being handled better.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 10:59   Link #14
Jokun

I'm going to bite, even though I'm suspecting this will just turn out like Break Blade (TV). It had very little difference from the OVA. Of course, RE:0096 could surprise us, maybe.
Jokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 11:34   Link #15
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Anybody else getting that weird faint hope that they'll use Banaghers fate in the LN for the ending? I know its just a straight up tv version of the OVAs but still.

Honestly I just want extended battles for Unicorn, plus the infodump being handled better.
Honestly, I just want a good final battle.
Old 2016-03-26, 12:04   Link #16
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router25 View Post

The OVA 4 battle scene...was that the one where Byarlant Custom kicked ass?
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 16:04   Link #17
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
The OVA 4 battle scene...was that the one where Byarlant Custom kicked ass?
If they edit in a shot of Kou Uraki jumping into the cockpit it would make me so happy
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 16:35   Link #18
FerrusManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
If they edit in a shot of Kou Uraki jumping into the cockpit it would make me so happy
They already established a pilot for the Byarlant Custom. A former Titan named Robin Diez.
FerrusManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 17:37   Link #19
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Besides, Kou wasn't that good of a pilot. He was actually really average. He got lucky when he destroyed the GP02.
Old 2016-03-26, 20:38   Link #20
Vash1306
Pancakes

Not sure if these are new scenes but screen caps from latest promo video: http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2016/0...6-tv.html#more

Spoiler:
Vash1306 is offline   Reply With Quote