AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-07-11, 09:32   Link #441
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Aye, the first episode of VF-171s in action is something I'd like to call a "Pearl Harbor" syndrome.

Too surprised in the early phases to act properly, but eager to catch up. Even if it took them 13 bleeding episode to do so, eh?

- Tak
Maybe, maybe not, I get the impression they are using bullets/shells that's specifically designed to take down Vajra now. Since that's a line in ep 7 that says "Load anti vajara rounds" or something.

Or maybe it's just the same deal with the gun on the VFs, it never runs out of bullets until you REALLY need it
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 11:54   Link #442
Matsuda46

Spoiler for Something about Macross setting:

Last edited by Matsuda46; 2008-07-11 at 17:02.
Matsuda46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 14:36   Link #443
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I was mighty impressed by the Repulsive Field that was used to protect the colony ships. Not only does it protect the main shell but the extra island as well.

Also did anyone else notice when Alto/Luca landed on the Quarter it had it's gunship opened and it looks like it was firing pulse bursts? Interesting, usually the main cannon doesn't have any other operation other than the huge Macross Cannon
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 17:00   Link #444
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
I was mighty impressed by the Repulsive Field that was used to protect the colony ships. Not only does it protect the main shell but the extra island as well.

Also did anyone else notice when Alto/Luca landed on the Quarter it had it's gunship opened and it looks like it was firing pulse bursts? Interesting, usually the main cannon doesn't have any other operation other than the huge Macross Cannon
When it shows the MQ's Gun, you can see inner barrels, like the ones on a Gunpod. So it seems to function as an M-Cannon and a huge ship sized gunpod.
Old 2008-07-12, 19:30   Link #445
encia

Quote:
The VF-25 has shield barriers as shown in episode 7.
Although the VF-171's pinpoint barriers may have been developed for a slightly different purpose
Not very usable "shields"...
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 19:36   Link #446
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Not very usable "shields"...
So? Did the question ask if they were perfect?

The question was if energy barriers were available to Valkyries 25 and above. The answer is yes. Did it shield Alto from attacks to a certain extent? Yes.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 20:29   Link #447
encia

Quote:
So? Did the question ask if they were perfect?

The question was if energy barriers were available to Valkyries 25 and above. The answer is yes. Did it shield Alto from attacks to a certain extent? Yes.

- Tak
Supply the timestamp. Are you referring to 15:37? Yellow energy flush for 15:38 transformation. In 19:17, it also shows yellow energy sparks (i.e. VF25 is damaged).

Is this 'shield barrier' the same as energy enhance blade's color?

In 5:50, it shows a blue colored energy field during VF25 Blue's transformation.

Last edited by encia; 2008-07-12 at 20:42.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 14:09   Link #448
ReddyRedWolf

Comparing Battle 25 to Battle 7 and 13 it seems to me it's another New Macross class variant looking at it's sides.

Also it has a different gunship from the two since it does not have any protusion at it's bow.

Battle 25

Battle 7

Battle 13
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 07:16   Link #449
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Somehow, of all those New Macross ships, the one I reallly want is Battle 13. It looks a lot more awesome. <.<

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 09:53   Link #450
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Somehow, of all those New Macross ships, the one I reallly want is Battle 13. It looks a lot more awesome. <.<
We never saw also Battle 5 of Macross 5 transform also. But Battle 5 also has noticeble differences to Battle 7.

Battle 5

Battle 7

Battle 5 + City 5

Battle 7 + City 7

Given how they identified Macross 13 in VFX-2 I believe every colony fleet New Macross battleship carrier is unique in configuration but has the overall transfomation scheme standard.

Much like Valkyries having the same 3 modes every generation.
Old 2008-07-15, 18:47   Link #451
March

I built some comparison pictures of the New Macross Class ships as well as a special highlight version of the Battle 25 screen shot. Hope you like them.

New Macross Class 7 and New Macross Class 13

New Macross Class 7 and New Macross Class 5

Battle 25 highlight
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 19:31   Link #452
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
I built some comparison pictures of the New Macross Class ships as well as a special highlight version of the Battle 25 screen shot. Hope you like them.

New Macross Class 7 and New Macross Class 13

New Macross Class 7 and New Macross Class 5

Battle 25 highlight
First pic Battle 7 and Battle 5. (Battle 5 is more Zentradi-ish)

Second pic Battle 7 and Battle 13 (Battle 13 seems to be more well armored )

Third pic Battle 25. (Doesn't have a protusion on it's gunship.)

A very least there are four variants of New Macross Class.
Old 2008-07-15, 19:53   Link #453
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know if this is true for the Japanese, but give an American time, tools, and material (and money) and they will modify their house over time. Same can be said for ships. Ships are modified little by little over time. Either because technology changes, situation changes, or based on the whims of the captain and crew. I'm wondering which one of these ships is closer to the basic model.
Old 2008-07-15, 20:40   Link #454
March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm wondering which one of these ships is closer to the basic model.
The Battle 7 would be closest to the standard model New Macross Class carrier. In the first episode of Macross 7 (partly repeated in future episodes), there is a brief prologue sequence. In this sequence is shown the first New Macross Class vessel with a shell-less city ship attached. The Battle 1 section looks very much like the Battle 7.
Old 2008-07-15, 20:50   Link #455
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Probably Battle 7; note how it's got less of the frills compared to Battle 5 and Battle 13. We see this in American and british and Japanese ship designs; each ship of a class has minor differences, and each class has its own variants. For instance the American Nimitz-class carriers are subdivided into the Nimitz, Theodore Roosevelt and George W. Bush groups; or take the Arleigh-Burke-class, which has 3 main Flights (I, II and IIA) and at least five variations.

As for Diamond Leader punching through that Vajra, that's because he's a disciple of Kai Kitamura. Real Men fight with their fists.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-07-15, 20:56   Link #456
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
The Battle 7 would be closest to the standard model New Macross Class carrier. In the first episode of Macross 7 (partly repeated in future episodes), there is a brief prologue sequence. In this sequence is shown the first New Macross Class vessel with a shell-less city ship attached. The Battle 1 section looks very much like the Battle 7.
I always wondered about those shellless types. I figured them to be unfinished but episode 14 of Frontier makes me think this is a first generation city block with a retracteble armor.
Old 2008-07-15, 22:39   Link #457
pkang0327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
First pic Battle 7 and Battle 5. (Battle 5 is more Zentradi-ish)

Second pic Battle 7 and Battle 13 (Battle 13 seems to be more well armored )

Third pic Battle 25. (Doesn't have a protusion on it's gunship.)

A very least there are four variants of New Macross Class.

These things are being launched 1 every year, so there are many being constructed at the same time. Although the basic blueprinbt is the same, the designers, engineers, planners, etc... would take certain liberties and make changes here and there.

Look at the VF-1. It is a Stonewell/Bellcom product, but it was also subcontracted to Shinnakasu (VF-1J) and Northrom (VF-1S).
pkang0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 22:47   Link #458
March

ReddyRedWolf
Not sure. The early New Macross Class (NMC) city ships don't appear to have retractable armor, though I suppose they could. But if they did, what would be the point of using shells for later model city ships? Doesn't seem to jive.

The city ship domes are actually quite robust, something we see as they repel missiles and gun pod fire. And even when breached by strong anti-ship fire, like the Vajra heavy beam gun in Macross Frontier episode 1, the domes are shown as incredibly thick and self-repairing. The builders of the NMC probably figured the domes would be ample protection in most situations so they went without shells OR they had always intended to build shells but they weren't a priority until later vessels were built.
Old 2008-07-16, 03:32   Link #459
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Uh guys... Macross 5 and Macross 7 had retractable shell armor for the city-domes.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-07-16, 04:19   Link #460
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Uh guys... Macross 5 and Macross 7 had retractable shell armor for the city-domes.
Oh sorry you seen lost on our discussion. In episode 1 of Macross 7 and several subsequent prologues The New Macross Class battleship and city blocks were shown as a successor to the Megaroad class.

But in episode 1 before Macross 7 city 7 was shown the previous Macross fleets did not have clam shaped domes. Merely biosphere domes.

Episode 14 of Frontier has shown that the island ships has retractable armor.

Now City 7 is the only one covered by the shelldome. But what about the vegetation plant and Akusho? They are not covered by the shelldome.

The City 7 vegetation plant being part of the city planning by the last episode of Frontier may have the same sort of protection as the island ships of Frontier.

Retroactively perhaps the original city blocks had retractable armor not shelldomes.