AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-03-27, 10:16   Link #41
Sol Falling

:P Not quite how I see it. I agree that only Saorin understands (for now; I think we'll get some clarification later) what she meant by 'Anna gets that nobody's perfect', but I don't think her intention was to be random or weird Shuuichi out. It basically feels like a statement of acceptance for Shuu picking Anna indicating she's not going to try to interfere with it.

As for Saorin getting flustered later on, I think that has more to do with her not wanting Anna (or Shuu) to get the wrong impression. Saorin doesn't want to appear clingy or pitiable because she doesn't want to be 'understood' on a superficial level. Though it may be true that she likes Shuuichi, that's not why she's treating Anna disrespectfully (as Takatsuki had been trying to imply). She's just rude naturally .
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 10:07   Link #42
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

My apologies for taking so long to reply....it's been a very rough week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Heh, it's hardly constant :P. Saorin's reaction towards Takatsuki in that specific instance was based on her cluelessness/insensitivity in agreeing to hang out with Shuu and his girlfriend.
I can understand that, to a point. There really is a difference between speaking what's on one's mind and having tact. I hope that Saorin realises that difference as she gets older. Not everyone appreciates bluntness for the sake of being "truthful" (and I really do believe she does that sometimes because she's very uninterested in anyone's feelings other than her own).
Quote:
Chiba's just a lot more perceptive than others, and correspondingly quite a bit less forgiving. She may seem like she's rude, sometimes, but she's just trying to live by a higher standard.
I don't think she's any more perceptive than anyone else in their group. She's just one who is far more open about speaking her mind and doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks of that (Sarashina is like that to some degree..just on the "crazy, whacky WTH?? kind of level, not like the serious, cerebral degrees that Chiba portrays). Again, that's not necessarily a good thing IMHO. But she's a kid so I guess that's to be expected.
Quote:
As for Takatsuki blurting out secrets, I thought you were just talking about at the karaoke bar, but you're actually also referring to when she told Chiba about Anna, right? Hm, you do have a point that that makes it twice now...on the other hand, the circumstances are a bit different in that for the first one I think she told Chiba out of selfishness, in some minor sort of attempt to hurt her (or Shuu indirectly) while in the more recent case that was more of her attempt to stop (what she saw as) a pending catfight. We'll have to see if those kinds of situations come up again.
Do think that Takatsuki really might have indirectly wanted to hurt Shuu? I'm playing devil's advocate for a little here, since you brought it up, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts about why this would be so (just out of curiousity...I hadn't considered that possibility myself). Part of me wondered if Takatsuki had flux of the mouth in those two particular instances because there was a possibility of her nursing a minor crush on Saorin. The thought had crossed my mind a time or two.
Quote:
As for Saorin getting flustered later on, I think that has more to do with her not wanting Anna (or Shuu) to get the wrong impression. Saorin doesn't want to appear clingy or pitiable because she doesn't want to be 'understood' on a superficial level. Though it may be true that she likes Shuuichi, that's not why she's treating Anna disrespectfully (as Takatsuki had been trying to imply). She's just rude naturally .
I think I can agree with this. Sad to say, I think Maho has pushed the brat meter up a couple notches. What's even more sad is:
Spoiler:

@Frubram: That last bit about Seya cracked me up. Poor Maho...doomed to feel inferior to womanly men. BTW, did you ever figure out your translation problem?

Last edited by Kieli; 2009-03-28 at 21:26. Reason: Just finished Chapter 67...
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 09:22   Link #43
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I don't think she's any more perceptive than anyone else in their group. She's just one who is far more open about speaking her mind and doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks of that (Sarashina is like that to some degree..just on the "crazy, whacky WTH?? kind of level, not like the serious, cerebral degrees that Chiba portrays). Again, that's not necessarily a good thing IMHO. But she's a kid so I guess that's to be expected.
:P With regards to Chiba's perceptiveness, I'll refer again to the very early stages of the manga, where Chiba was the first to percieve and encourage Shuu's 'desire to be a girl'.

Quote:
Do think that Takatsuki really might have indirectly wanted to hurt Shuu? I'm playing devil's advocate for a little here, since you brought it up, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts about why this would be so (just out of curiousity...I hadn't considered that possibility myself). Part of me wondered if Takatsuki had flux of the mouth in those two particular instances because there was a possibility of her nursing a minor crush on Saorin. The thought had crossed my mind a time or two.
I think Takatsuki maybe wasn't happy with the idea of Shuu moving on before she had sorted out her own feelings (it's been a couple years, yeah, but still). I mean, she decided that she wanted those times when they went to see Yuki together back, but she calls it off all of a sudden when she finds out Shuu has a girlfriend. I take the possibility of Takatsuki/Shuuichi's having mutual romantic feelings seriously, given their cover placement and all. So I think Takatsuki's telling Saorin may have on some level been an attempt at interference. It's not something I'm absolutely sure about, though, as maybe the direct effect on Chiba was all she intended.

Your suggestion of yuri feelings is pretty interesting, too. I wouldn't mind if you expanded on that a bit (I guess it would make sense? for Takatsuki to, as Chiba has been talking about with Shuu, be attracted to girls as a 'boy', but why Chiba in particular?).
Old 2009-04-01, 19:46   Link #44
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
@Frubam: BTW, did you ever figure out your translation problem?
I don't think it was a translation problem. It seemed kinda random, with no basis as she just said it and then everyone came in, causing the whole affair to be pushed aside, but I'll agree with Sol in that there might have been some hidden message in what she was trying to say. I just can't figure out what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Your suggestion of yuri feelings is pretty interesting, too. I wouldn't mind if you expanded on that a bit (I guess it would make sense? for Takatsuki to, as Chiba has been talking about with Shuu, be attracted to girls as a 'boy', but why Chiba in particular?).
I know this wasn't directed at me, but it's kinda hard for me to look at it from this angle. Yoshino doesn't really show any particular interest in one sex over the other, at least not that I've seen. It's not like she hates men or anything like that, since she converses with Makoto sometimes. She even felt embarassed when that teacher was looking at her(though that prob meant nothing). Plus there're twice as many girls to guys, so it's hard to see whether she's into girls, when most of the chars ARE girls. Not that it isn't feasible, but I've been looking at it from Saorin's perspective.

I, upon first instant impressions, thought that the fact that Saorin warmed up to Yoshino so easily was because she was simply into people who crossdress, as I half-heartedly stated earlier. Perhaps being persuaded by Sol, I've come to think about how Saorin might be looking for someone who has the potential to be cut off from everyone else. Once Sasa began to hang out with everyone, more particularly with Sarashina, Saorin stopped hanging out with her. Originally, she(supposedly) hated Yoshino, but now knowing that Yoshino wont be hanging out with Shuu, she perhaps sees this as a chance to have a deeper relationship of her own that is on a different level than with everyone else; a relationship that only belongs to her.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 20:55   Link #45
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
:P With regards to Chiba's perceptiveness, I'll refer again to the very early stages of the manga, where Chiba was the first to percieve and encourage Shuu's 'desire to be a girl'.
LOL! Heh, I know we'll never agree on Chiba so I'm letting it go. I just don't think she's all that.
Quote:
I think Takatsuki maybe wasn't happy with the idea of Shuu moving on before she had sorted out her own feelings (it's been a couple years, yeah, but still). I mean, she decided that she wanted those times when they went to see Yuki together back, but she calls it off all of a sudden when she finds out Shuu has a girlfriend. I take the possibility of Takatsuki/Shuuichi's having mutual romantic feelings seriously, given their cover placement and all. So I think Takatsuki's telling Saorin may have on some level been an attempt at interference.
That's an interesting theory and I can agree with that to some extent. I think that Takatsuki also is just having trouble figuring out what she should do and how she should act now that Shuu has a girlfriend (and I use that word oh so loosely...it's more like she's the big sister he SHOULD have had instead of a dating partner). I'm rooting for Shuu and Takatsuki too. They make a cute, yet complicated, pair.
Quote:
I don't know I would go so far as to say there was yuri involved...just a simple, typical crush on someone that she admires on some level and probably wants to emulate. I don't know about you but, as a young teenager, there were several girls I had a crush on, not necessarily for pure romantic feelings but for their "aura", for lack of a better word. They were cool, competent, intelligent and had their head together. I think this might be something that Takatsuki may feel for Chiba, in some way.
Old 2009-04-02, 19:24   Link #46
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this thread before.
i'm glad anon took over scanning the manga for whoever decided to just drop the project for no reason. This manga just keeps getting better and better.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 23:34   Link #47
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad wolf View Post
Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice this thread before.
i'm glad anon took over scanning the manga for whoever decided to just drop the project for no reason.
Yeesh, that's pretty unappreciative. Kotonoha -- the group that scanned Hourou Musuko -- is one of the best out there...and until recently was practically dead for a very long time. They weren't dropping it as much as dropping everything they were doing, which is a lot of stuff actually.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 06:51   Link #48
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Yeesh, that's pretty unappreciative. Kotonoha -- the group that scanned Hourou Musuko -- is one of the best out there...and until recently was practically dead for a very long time. They weren't dropping it as much as dropping everything they were doing, which is a lot of stuff actually.
Lol opps sorry. xD
anyways yayy two new hm chapters. : D
uh....am I allowed to post link?
Old 2009-04-03, 13:44   Link #49
frubam
simp for Lyria

Spoiler for chap 68 - 69:
Quote:
uh....am I allowed to post link?
I don't think so. I got modded earlier =_=. It's a TotA.... I mean a ToS violation.
Old 2009-04-10, 10:07   Link #50
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
These chapters were shorter than I thought they were going to be.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-11, 00:17   Link #51
Sol Falling

Sorry, I disappeared for a while. Am waiting for the next chapters, but I'll do some late replies for now.

Quote:
I, upon first instant impressions, thought that the fact that Saorin warmed up to Yoshino so easily was because she was simply into people who crossdress, as I half-heartedly stated earlier. Perhaps being persuaded by Sol, I've come to think about how Saorin might be looking for someone who has the potential to be cut off from everyone else. Once Sasa began to hang out with everyone, more particularly with Sarashina, Saorin stopped hanging out with her. Originally, she(supposedly) hated Yoshino, but now knowing that Yoshino wont be hanging out with Shuu, she perhaps sees this as a chance to have a deeper relationship of her own that is on a different level than with everyone else; a relationship that only belongs to her.
This was pretty much in line with my own thinking, but right now I'm a bit stumped. Although Saorin and Yoshino used to hang out together, we haven't seen anything since the karaoke (or, more accurately I suppose, since Shuu went to school dressed as a girl). Actually, the latest events seem to have shifted quite a lot of things: for one, if Anna isn't visiting Maho because Maho asked her not to, then she probably hasn't seen Shuu for a while either. I dunno if this could be counted as an opportunity for Chiba (since at the very least, the push for exclusivity in her interactions with Shuu has disappeared), but she does seem to have focused her attention on him again.

Well, to summarize my new thoughts on Saorin and Yoshino. After finding out about Anna, I think Saorin to a degree avoided Shuu. Takatsuki made a conscious decision to do so as well, so maybe the foundation of their closer relationship was the absence of Shuu. Their meeting at the karaoke bar sorta resolved all of that though (for Chiba, by coming to terms with Shuu seeing someone else and finally having a chance to speak with him; for Takatsuki, recieving permission to 'go out' with Shuu again), so they've sort of lost their reason for sticking together. As a result, Takatsuki actually seems pretty lonely right now, 'cause everyone's busy supporting Shuu while she can only struggle with her admiration/envy (or whatever it is that's preventing her from seeing him directly).

Quote:
I don't know I would go so far as to say there was yuri involved...just a simple, typical crush on someone that she admires on some level and probably wants to emulate. I don't know about you but, as a young teenager, there were several girls I had a crush on, not necessarily for pure romantic feelings but for their "aura", for lack of a better word. They were cool, competent, intelligent and had their head together. I think this might be something that Takatsuki may feel for Chiba, in some way.
Hmm, well I've laid out my interpretation of Chiba and Takatsuki's connection above ('cause it honestly doesn't seem that strong to me) but I'll admit that Takatsuki admiring Chiba (on some level) seems plausible. :P Not to get on your case though or anything, but if you can even describe Chiba like that (from Takatsuki's perspective, at least), why do you dislike her?

I'll also clarify your implicit question there in that I'm a guy. :P Sorry if the avatar is misleading.

Quote:
With regards to Maho, I wouldn't really say I feel sorry for her but I do understand her. She's just struggling with the idea that she's not a good person. Being jealous, pushing her friends away, when indeed she realizes that Shuu is going through tougher times than her and that she's really been a bit of a drama queen. Shuu gathering up the courage to go back to school before Maho because of his friends, when Maho was the one who told her friends not to come in the first place, must make her feel pretty dumb.

As for Yoshino not supporting Shuu, I think part of it has to do with them being (as far as wanting to be a boy/girl) in the same situation. Yoshino's shown a bit of cowardice with regards to being ostracized by her peers, and thus her staying back makes sense when you consider that her crossdressing is already somewhat known. If she were to stand up for Shuu as blatantly as Sarashina, that would open her up full blast for the kind of treatment he is getting. This actually almost feels like the exchange diary all over again, except with Yoshino feeling bad about it from the beginning (well, given the letter I'm just assuming. My interpretation is basically 'You're amazing for having the courage to do this' --> 'I'm not amazing' --> 'I'm too scared to stand together with you' ).

Speaking of 'protecting' though, I was just rereading today (result of making this post, heh) and do you guys remember that Yoshino used to be pretty violent? She slammed some kid's nose into his desk (after they fought because he teased her about her period). Haven't really noticed that kind of stuff lately.

Quote:
These chapters were shorter than I thought they were going to be.
Spoiler:
Bringing up Shuu's gullibility is interesting. I was just talking, above, about how Takatsuki admired Shuu for coming out with being a crossdresser but from with his gullibility in minde it might not be courage but rather just a naivete about the world.

Also, speaking of assholes, you've already brought up 'jerk boy' (lol I can't even remember his name, guess that'll have to do) but Momoko (Sarashina's friend) is also pretty annoying. I dunno why, but they give off a similar vibe for me. Something about how they don't really care what Chiba/Chi-chan think but act clingy around them for their own reasons.
Old 2009-04-11, 12:42   Link #52
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Sorry, I disappeared for a while. Am waiting for the next chapters, but I'll do some late replies for now.
No worries. I'm sure that we all have RL jobs, school and such that keep us from enjoying our guilty pleasures
Quote:
Actually, the latest events seem to have shifted quite a lot of things: for one, if Anna isn't visiting Maho because Maho asked her not to, then she probably hasn't seen Shuu for a while either.
That may or may not be true. I didn't think that Anna told Maho ALL of the times that she and Shuu went shopping together or had lunch together, so they still might have seen each other at random times.
Quote:
I dunno if this could be counted as an opportunity for Chiba (since at the very least, the push for exclusivity in her interactions with Shuu has disappeared), but she does seem to have focused her attention on him again.
The only thing I can think of is that she decided to limit her interactions with Shuu based on his having a "girlfriend"....out of respect for him and his other relationship that she didn't know very much about (this is just speculation on my part but it seems logical enough to me)
Quote:
As a result, Takatsuki actually seems pretty lonely right now, 'cause everyone's busy supporting Shuu while she can only struggle with her admiration/envy (or whatever it is that's preventing her from seeing him directly).
*nods* This makes sense to me...but she's never been one to really seek out others to ask questions or validate her feelings. Shuu does this unconsciously mostly because he is so curious and, IMHO, very naive.
Quote:
Hmm, well I've laid out my interpretation of Chiba and Takatsuki's connection above ('cause it honestly doesn't seem that strong to me) but I'll admit that Takatsuki admiring Chiba (on some level) seems plausible. :P Not to get on your case though or anything, but if you can even describe Chiba like that (from Takatsuki's perspective, at least), why do you dislike her?
LOL! That's ok. I dislike her mostly her attitude still grates on my nerves. I can where Yoshino would admire her distant, cool demeanor and her intelligence but the other aspects of Chiba's personality, in my personal opinion, are too self-centered for my tastes (though not uncommon since she is still a teen, after all).
Quote:
I'll also clarify your implicit question there in that I'm a guy. :P Sorry if the avatar is misleading.
No clarification was necessary. I already knew that you were male.
Quote:
With regards to Maho, I wouldn't really say I feel sorry for her but I do understand her. She's just struggling with the idea that she's not a good person. Being jealous, pushing her friends away, when indeed she realizes that Shuu is going through tougher times than her and that she's really been a bit of a drama queen. Shuu gathering up the courage to go back to school before Maho because of his friends, when Maho was the one who told her friends not to come in the first place, must make her feel pretty dumb.
I like this observation and definitely agree with it. Plus it gave me a bit of a giggle
Quote:
As for Yoshino not supporting Shuu, I think part of it has to do with them being (as far as wanting to be a boy/girl) in the same situation. Yoshino's shown a bit of cowardice with regards to being ostracized by her peers, and thus her staying back makes sense when you consider that her crossdressing is already somewhat known. If she were to stand up for Shuu as blatantly as Sarashina, that would open her up full blast for the kind of treatment he is getting. This actually almost feels like the exchange diary all over again, except with Yoshino feeling bad about it from the beginning (well, given the letter I'm just assuming. My interpretation is basically 'You're amazing for having the courage to do this' --> 'I'm not amazing' --> 'I'm too scared to stand together with you' ).
Hmm indeed. I hadn't really thought to examine Yoshino's tendencies when it came to her own crossdressing but you're correct. She really does have a hard time standing up for herself in the face of possible consequences. Shuu has unwittingly opened this can of worms because he's been relatively insulated by the support of his "harem" (I hesitate to use this word but since Mako did, with hilarious results, then I will too ) I kept hoping that, as time went on, she'd be able to draw some strength and stability from the friends around her, like Shuu seems to have. Alas, that hope was in vain, at least for the time being.
Quote:
Speaking of 'protecting' though, I was just rereading today (result of making this post, heh) and do you guys remember that Yoshino used to be pretty violent? She slammed some kid's nose into his desk (after they fought because he teased her about her period). Haven't really noticed that kind of stuff lately.
*ponders* You're right. It seems like she's fallen back into reacting more "like a girl" than like the boy she wants to become.
Quote:
Bringing up Shuu's gullibility is interesting. I was just talking, above, about how Takatsuki admired Shuu for coming out with being a crossdresser but from with his gullibility in mind it might not be courage but rather just a naivete about the world.
It could be a little of both. He seems to be a little desperate sometimes (i.e. immediately trying to connect with Chiba's "jerk boy" and Doi, that evil little twerp).
Quote:
Also, speaking of assholes, you've already brought up 'jerk boy' (lol I can't even remember his name, guess that'll have to do) but Momoko (Sarashina's friend) is also pretty annoying. I dunno why, but they give off a similar vibe for me. Something about how they don't really care what Chiba/Chi-chan think but act clingy around them for their own reasons.
Agreed. I really loathe both of them. These last few chapters have done nothing to endear Momoka to me. I keep wanting Sarashina to tell her about herself and drop her like a hot rock. But she seems to realise that Momoka is that kind of person and may even pity her to the point that she lets M. hang around her for that reason alone.

edited to add: Finally got jerk-boy's name in Chapter 71....Fumiya-kun...and he's still an asshole. -_- But Shuu is driving me NUTS! I wish he would stop trusting everyone so much.

Last edited by Kieli; 2009-04-18 at 10:50. Reason: added name I forgot
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 00:52   Link #53
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Wait, why did the new scanlator delete all his uploads?
Anyone know?
Old 2009-06-17, 07:29   Link #54
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Wait, why did the new scanlator delete all his uploads?
Anyone know?
Hmmm....I see all of the uploads still. Which site are you referring to? The anonymous translator may simply be consolidating to a particular place.
Old 2009-06-27, 23:31   Link #55
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Quote:
Hmmm....I see all of the uploads still. Which site are you referring to? The anonymous translator may simply be consolidating to a particular place.
ok yeah, I looked and they're back. But they were gone before....I dunno what happened.
Sorry, stupid post was stupid. D;
Old 2009-07-27, 00:25   Link #56
frubam
simp for Lyria

Dang, these were some amazing discussions, it's been so long and i've been busy(i.e. lazy ) to post anything.
Old 2009-07-27, 04:19   Link #57
Sol Falling

The lack of updates is the main problem, but I also couldn't really think of anything to say about these two recent chapters. Iunno. I guess I'm pretty excited about the next one though, which I presume will be Shuu/Chiba/Yoshino's date.
Old 2009-07-30, 10:48   Link #58
Rita
한국어 guru

Ah, everyone types so very much.
I wish I wasn't dumb, so I could read it. xD
But, I wonder what the ending couple would be.. I don't want a Yoshuu. >u<;
Hm, I doubt this'd happen, but I hope Yoshino and Chiba end up together, and Shuu and Anna.
Or maybe even Kanako and Yoshino. X'D Or Shuu and Chizuru. :'D
-continues to read-
Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 22:02   Link #59
Diedrupo

just finished reading chapter 77, some thoughts
Spoiler:
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 12:32   Link #60
frubam
simp for Lyria

Again, i gotta say those were some interesting discussions, i just don't get tired of reading them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
just finished reading chapter 77, some thoughts
Spoiler:
Spoiler for chp 77:

Last edited by frubam; 2009-09-17 at 12:46.

Tags
drama, seinen