AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-12-03, 21:45   Link #1681
Akaito

: D

Thank you for the information about Rightstuf, tyrannus.
I contacted their customer assistance service and they were very nice with my questions. Since Yen Press stated a reprint I've been asking online retailers with no luck. I was about to give up but I came to this forum and now I've finally ordered them!

I've wanted to buy this light novels for a while but publishing has been so slow and I wanted the reprint version of vol.1, plus it's a nice price for 5 novels (and decent shipping since I'm not from USA and they are considering this bundle as an item, not five). My best Birthday-Christmas gift
Akaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 21:51   Link #1682
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

does anyone know where i can find some summarys from the LNs ive read through alot of posts here and no one has posted one just some vague references to a vol and saying nothing more so they wont spoil it for anyone............WELL I WANT TO BE SPOILT!!! lol

Really though i need some summaries acan anyone help out?
Old 2011-12-04, 04:44   Link #1683
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

If you want spoilers, TV Tropes is always a good place to find them (for anything).
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 06:37   Link #1684
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
If you want spoilers, TV Tropes is always a good place to find them (for anything).
Very true. I got lost on there for hours just reading over how they poked fun at every little topic.
Phoenix6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 21:50   Link #1685
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I'm thinking about picking up some of the volumes of the LN currently out in the states and was just wondering if the translation and such was good or not. Basically, is there anything I should worry or be warned about with them?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 00:50   Link #1686
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I'm thinking about picking up some of the volumes of the LN currently out in the states and was just wondering if the translation and such was good or not. Basically, is there anything I should worry or be warned about with them?
Overall, the translation has been pretty good. If anything, it was precise enough that sometimes it has that terse literal awkward stilt that direct translation can have. However, by the second volume they seem to have gotten the knack of naturalizing the sentence structures.
Old 2011-12-07, 06:11   Link #1687
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Has anyone looked at the second or subsequent printings of any of the volumes to see if any of the previous typos have been corrected; if so, I will need to pick them up.
Old 2011-12-07, 20:16   Link #1688
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Overall, the translation has been pretty good. If anything, it was precise enough that sometimes it has that terse literal awkward stilt that direct translation can have. However, by the second volume they seem to have gotten the knack of naturalizing the sentence structures.
Ah, I understand you there. Nice to hear that they seemed to get more in the swing of things though. I'll have to start reading through them in any case.

The series hasn't been orphaned in the States, has it? I've noticed there are dates up to volume 6 is it just taking a while?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2011-12-07, 21:53   Link #1689
Rajura

This photo was taken by a friend... the original covers continue to be soooooo much better.

Spoiler for To save space due to large image size:
Old 2011-12-07, 22:06   Link #1690
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
This photo was taken by a friend... the original covers continue to be soooooo much better.

Dear lord, are they all like that? Can you even maybe take off a jacket and have the original underneath? Or perhaps nothing at all? I noticed online that most of the books seem to have the original covers. Do the books even have the artwork anymore?

Old 2011-12-07, 22:43   Link #1691
Rajura

Yes, this "Western cover" is merely the dust jacket. The original art is the ACTUAL book cover, de mo...
Old 2011-12-07, 22:47   Link #1692
erflesmcbride

Im pretty sure Holo isnt a blonde, haha. But now the only cover of the book is the western one? or is the western cover a dust jacket now??
erflesmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 23:09   Link #1693
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Yes, this "Western cover" is merely the dust jacket. The original art is the ACTUAL book cover, de mo...
Well thank goodness for that. Why would they think that new cover would make anyone buy it I wonder?

Old 2011-12-07, 23:14   Link #1694
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Well thank goodness for that. Why would they think that new cover would make anyone buy it I wonder?
Homework assignment

Wander down the fiction aisles of a bookstore. Look at the romance, the science-fiction, and mystery book covers. Yen was hoping they can break out into mainstream with this one.

Quote:
Ah, I understand you there. Nice to hear that they seemed to get more in the swing of things though. I'll have to start reading through them in any case.

The series hasn't been orphaned in the States, has it? I've noticed there are dates up to volume 6 is it just taking a while? __________________
The series is complete in Japan, but it is typical for US translation distributors to space the releases so they can maximize the sales curve. For manga, its typically 4 months per release, for light novels - 6 months to a year between releases isn't unusual. If they released them all at once, it'd be a huge investment with poorer payoff (historical data). Also, book series just naturally sell fewer copies on each volume release -- you'd have to ask the fans why that is, sounds crazy to me not to finish reading a series you start.
Quote:

I actually like that one a bit... yeah, she's not that blonde (more auburn) but I like the smile and the lack of "romance novel shadows" the previous ones had.
Old 2011-12-08, 03:55   Link #1695
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

What the hell is that monstrosity?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 04:30   Link #1696
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

As horrific as the latest cover is, by now it's just par for the course. One would have imagined Yen Press would have caved in to fan pressure and reverted by now, especially given Spice and Wolf didn't quite break into mainstream in the way they perhaps hoped.

Ah well, it's just another dust jacket to add to my growing collection of Spice and Wolf dust jackets (I take them off before giving them out as gifts too) XD
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 09:22   Link #1697
LKK

Breaking into the mainstream market was one reason for the Western-style covers but it wasn't the only reason. Bookstore chains wanted a Western cover. Manga style novel covers simply don't sell as well as novels with current Western-style covers. Bottom line reality. Bookstores want to sell books. Books series that don't sell for bookstores are books series that bookstores won't continue to carry. This is another reason why Yen Press will continue to publish its novels with altered covers. They need to get their book series on the bookstore shelves.

I'm sure you already know this, but S&W isn't the only Japanese novel series with a different cover for US publication. Most of them have altered covers. S&W fans are getting a bonus in that the Western cover is a removable dust jacket with the original art on the book itself. That's a true rarity.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 11:33   Link #1698
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Homework assignment

Wander down the fiction aisles of a bookstore. Look at the romance, the science-fiction, and mystery book covers. Yen was hoping they can break out into mainstream with this one.

The series is complete in Japan, but it is typical for US translation distributors to space the releases so they can maximize the sales curve. For manga, its typically 4 months per release, for light novels - 6 months to a year between releases isn't unusual. If they released them all at once, it'd be a huge investment with poorer payoff (historical data). Also, book series just naturally sell fewer copies on each volume release -- you'd have to ask the fans why that is, sounds crazy to me not to finish reading a series you start.
I can't recall too many science fiction covers quite like that, though I suppose it does fit with the other genres. Particularly romance from what few covers I've seen. I suppose it might aid in getting attention more so than the original covers.

Yes, with 17 volumes total. I've noticed some series having very sped up release dates as of late which was a surprise, though I do understand the space between each release. I just wasn't aware it was that different with LNs, though as you mention they aren't the biggest sellers. I suppose we should be happy they continue to release at all.

Old 2011-12-08, 12:45   Link #1699
LKK

Quote:
I can't recall too many science fiction covers quite like that, though I suppose it does fit with the other genres. Particularly romance from what few covers I've seen. I suppose it might aid in getting attention more so than the original covers.
Don't walk down the traditional science fiction section. Try the teen/young adult fantasy section. The S&W dust jackets fit in with them although they're not as dark as the YA fantasy covers are becoming.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 13:51   Link #1700
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Don't walk down the traditional science fiction section. Try the teen/young adult fantasy section. The S&W dust jackets fit in with them although they're not as dark as the YA fantasy covers are becoming.
I have sometimes seen the S&W LNs in the manga section, so that is another place to look.

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen