Old 2012-01-03, 13:46   Link #21
Sumeragi
Banned

At the risk of being called out for trolling, I find this use of MLP appealing:

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:04   Link #22
limao
DeAd

Yeah, you right, my Little pony should be Mr Big Fat Horse by now, some things never grow...like the simpsons
limao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:09   Link #23
Kallen4life

more people should give MLP a chance
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 14:41   Link #24
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
Many people have given MLP a chance and decided it didn't suit them.
Old 2012-01-03, 14:45   Link #25
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
I would if they were real, I want to know how coloured horse meat taste like.

I was wondering if the purple one taste like grape jam.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:07   Link #26
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I would if they were real, I want to know how coloured horse meat taste like.

I was wondering if the purple one taste like grape jam.
Probably tastes more like Skittles. TASTE THE RAINBOW.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:15   Link #27
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Many people have given MLP a chance and decided it didn't suit them.
good to know many decided it did

I guess the brony-thing won't stop until at least the end of the show
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 15:17   Link #28
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
If only there were more parents like you...
Heh, thanks.

I guess that comes my mom telling me about the rather draconian measures grandpa used. When she was growing up in 50s-60s she was allowed to watch one TV show a week. She learned to choose wisely.

Mom was quite a bit more relaxed with me, but still, the rules were no TV until homework was done. Now TV, and in the near future, internet/game regulation will be imposed. We also read a lot to her and in front of her, in an effort to get her interested in reading for fun, not just because we tell her to.

Anyhow, I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi
At the risk of being called out for trolling, I find this use of MLP appealing:
Thanks for the laugh.

Endless "It tastes like grape jam" Soul
Old 2012-01-03, 20:04   Link #29
Kyouka
Is Here

derpyhooves needs to get a va called katy perry and it will change the world
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 20:45   Link #30
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Probably tastes more like Skittles. TASTE THE RAINBOW.
Only rotten meat will taste that sour.

Come to think of it, Shakespeare would have loved living in our time - lots of instances where he can invent new words for. The act of favouring someone who loves MLP compared to someone who doesn't could be called "bronyism".

Scratch that. The fujoshis would want to make that word solely for male-male favouritism.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 01:32   Link #31
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
What's the deal with this show? I've had SO many people recommend the series to me, but I still can't bring myself to watch it. What on Earth could possibly make a children's animated series so popular among adults?
Couldn't you ask the same thing about a number of anime series?

It's colorful, largely cheery, the characters are well done, voice acting is good, animation is solid, and the settings are compelling enough. While the themes aren't exactly high-level stuff, the presentation is overall entertaining. The same could be said for the appeal behind most television shows, I suppose.

I watched the first episode purely because I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. The series clicked with me well enough that I ended up watching the first season, and the first three or four episodes of the second. I don't follow the series regularly, nor can I explain how the series has generated such passionate adult fans, but hey... I'm sure people in Japan wonder the same about us and anime.
Old 2012-01-04, 02:40   Link #32
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'll just post this and walk away.

PS: This is not fan-made but real.
Old 2012-01-04, 05:12   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
What's the deal with this show? I've had SO many people recommend the series to me, but I still can't bring myself to watch it. What on Earth could possibly make a children's animated series so popular among adults?
Before I take a shot at that question, what was your opinion of:
1) Tiny Toons
2) Animaniacs
3) Batman: the animated series
4) Pinky & the Brain
5) Freakazoid
6) Power Puff Girls
?

All are "children's animated series"... and I believe Mr. Terrorist's video link demonstrates what a bizarre crack-dusted piece of cartoon it can be at times.
Old 2012-01-04, 05:46   Link #34
solomon

Good question Vexx but often times those 90s shows were very deliberate and conspicious in showing their "adult appeal". This one doesn't have that overt nature. Same with Spongebob.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 06:03   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm trying my hardest to remember the middle Carebears movies...I know I watched them as I can remember tiny pieces (some song lyric about "what can you do, there's only two of you")...but my mind is failing me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't crack dust inspired. On the other hand cartoons that came out in the 90s and, well this appearently might be.

The Warner Brothers based cartoons (Fox Kids) tended to head into teen and adult territory inspired I think by the older Looney Toons and Tex Avery cartoons. Or maybe The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show. I recall my father looking up to pay attention at Slappy Squirrel's use of the word "anal". Before that he's only been half paying attention. After he was a fan. Particularly of Slappy, but also some of the other Animaniacs characters. My mother enjoyed Superman and Batman (more Superman because she grew up on the old Superman TV show with George Reeves).

The more crack fueled things were I guess Ren and Stimpy and shows of that nature. Maybe the Tick as well, though that wasn't quite crack in terms of content, just character creation of some messed up superheroes...and my extention villains. I didn't watch Ren and Stimpy much, but I got my dad on the Tick as well. (course I also got him on South Park and he wondered into Futurama on his own. We sort of evaded the Simpsons...somehow)

I recall we had satelite in the late 80s and early 90s before they stated scrabbling things more regularly. So there was a period I was watching satelite stations more than TV (the Disney Channel was rather interesting in those days. Got a lot of older Disney material at that time. Some Nickelodeon stuff as well, but mostly pre-Ren and Stimpy, as I switched back to "TV" around the time Animaniacs started...it was still satelite, but off the networks. Plus you could get Eastern feeds and watch things three hours early (if you lived on the West Coast and wanted to be up that early in the morning or whenever).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-01-04 at 06:15.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 10:57   Link #36
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
2) Animaniacs
4) Pinky & the Brain

All are "children's animated series"... and I believe Mr. Terrorist's video link demonstrates what a bizarre crack-dusted piece of cartoon it can be at times.
The two I retained from your quote (and I'm sure the others as well, but I can't speak to those) are very definitely not the same as MLP, and I'm a little surprised that you could even think that they are. Honestly, the only point of comparison is animation and talking animals, that that should (and does) mean next to nothing.

Is "Bill Nye" the same as MLP, simply because it's made for kids? Is "End of Evangelion" the same as MLP, simply because it's animated? I think you'll find the answer to both of those questions is no. The characters and themes and presentation are what make shows what they are, and MLP's are what define it as a decent kid's show but something that should have little to no appeal for a mature audience.
Old 2012-01-04, 11:18   Link #37
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

EoE should have no apeal for any audience, it has Shinji in it.
Yet "some" people disagree with me. Weird... it's almost as if other people have a different taste than I do...
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 11:51   Link #38
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
EoE should have no appeal for any audience, it has Shinji in it.
Yet "some" people disagree with me. Weird... it's almost as if other people have a different taste than I do...
And some people like the Twilight books, too. They're still objectively bad.
Old 2012-01-04, 12:14   Link #39
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Before I take a shot at that question, what was your
6) Power Puff Girls
?
Power Puff Girls are cool. Liked it as a child.
Old 2012-01-04, 12:38   Link #40
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
1) Tiny Toons
2) Animaniacs
3) Batman: the animated series
4) Pinky & the Brain
5) Freakazoid
6) Power Puff Girls
?

I'd say the bolded ones were more adult-orientated than the other two at first glance, but YMMV on that.

Powerpuff Girls was perhaps the biggest show before MLP:FiM that gained a huge audience of any age, in both genders. Though given how many adult references Craig McCracken and his team put into the show (including sex-related themes), it's not really a surprise that adults started liking it as well.

If one was to ask me what I like about MLP:FiM, I'd say it's the character design, combined with the good writing and excellent voice cast that makes this show such a success. Lauren Faust managed to make the show entertaining and educational, without making it boring and the VA pretty much did the rest.

Tags
my little pony