AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 09:03   Link #32641
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

As I am currently posting a lot in the EP4 thread: How did the trick for the shed work in EP4? Was Beatrice forcing Gohda and Kumasawa to "act" as if they were strangled and then killed them through the window? Or did she put a fake key into the corpses' pocket?
Old 2013-08-03, 10:55   Link #32642
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
As I am currently posting a lot in the EP4 thread: How did the trick for the shed work in EP4? Was Beatrice forcing Gohda and Kumasawa to "act" as if they were strangled and then killed them through the window? Or did she put a fake key into the corpses' pocket?
IIRC, they were both shot in the forehead in a way that would have been impossible to do from the window, so the key Battler found must have been a fake with the label from the real one attached. He never bothered to check it because he had already destroyed the door.

The way the scene probably played out was:
1. Yasu goes to the shed and has Kumasawa and Gohda, who still think they're playing a game, pass her the key.
2. She helps them set up fake nooses.
3. Under the guise of checking how the scene looks from the door, she fetches a gun she had stashed outside and shoots both of them.
4. She puts the real key's tag on a fake key and plants the fake in Gohda's pocket.
5. She relocks the door from the outside with the real key and leaves.

Depending on George's level of accompliceness, if she had George palm the real key after he locked the shed, she could have gotten it from him instead, but that's just an unnecessary extra level of complexity.
Old 2013-08-03, 13:24   Link #32643
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
IIRC, they were both shot in the forehead in a way that would have been impossible to do from the window, so the key Battler found must have been a fake with the label from the real one attached. He never bothered to check it because he had already destroyed the door.

The way the scene probably played out was:
1. Yasu goes to the shed and has Kumasawa and Gohda, who still think they're playing a game, pass her the key.
2. She helps them set up fake nooses.
3. Under the guise of checking how the scene looks from the door, she fetches a gun she had stashed outside and shoots both of them.
4. She puts the real key's tag on a fake key and plants the fake in Gohda's pocket.
5. She relocks the door from the outside with the real key and leaves.

Depending on George's level of accompliceness, if she had George palm the real key after he locked the shed, she could have gotten it from him instead, but that's just an unnecessary extra level of complexity.
There was, in an Agatha Christie's book if I'm not wrong, a trick that involved using a thin, long thread, of the type used for sewing. With a neddle you have it pass through the poket, then put both sides of the thread out of the window. Close everything with the key, go to the window, tie the key in a certain way to the thread then pull one head of the thread, causing the key to be pulled by the other at which it's attached. The key will end up in the poket then you'll pull the thread harder and it'll break. Since it's tied to the key in a certain way, no part of it will remain unlatched to the key but they both will be retrieved.

Sorry if I explained it poorly, I lack the English ability to make it clearer but in the book the trick worked and wasn't Yasu an Agatha Christie's reader?

This way she could have said in red the key was the right one.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 13:50   Link #32644
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
There was, in an Agatha Christie's book if I'm not wrong, a trick that involved using a thin, long thread, of the type used for sewing. With a neddle you have it pass through the poket, then put both sides of the thread out of the window. Close everything with the key, go to the window, tie the key in a certain way to the thread then pull one head of the thread, causing the key to be pulled by the other at which it's attached. The key will end up in the poket then you'll pull the thread harder and it'll break. Since it's tied to the key in a certain way, no part of it will remain unlatched to the key but they both will be retrieved.

Sorry if I explained it poorly, I lack the English ability to make it clearer but in the book the trick worked and wasn't Yasu an Agatha Christie's reader?

That's actually exactly how I imagined the whole trick worked.
I still wonder whether anybody was actually dead at all (except George) at the point when Battler met Beatrice at the mansion. Going by the way he was lead around the island there was enough time for Yasu to actually go around an kill people for real.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 14:26   Link #32645
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:

That works too, but given multiple options, I tend to think she would go for the one that lets her totally seal off any means of returning the key from outside, since according to Our Confession she likes that kind of closed room.
Old 2013-08-03, 17:02   Link #32646
jjblue1

Quote:
That works too, but given multiple options, I tend to think she would go for the one that lets her totally seal off any means of returning the key from outside, since according to Our Confession she likes that kind of closed room.
LOL actually I think that, depending to what Battler had proposed, she would have used an 'EP6 solution' and switched from a trick to the other. If he were to suspect the key had been changed she would use the thread trick and if he were to suspect a thread had been used she would go for the key switching (though to be honest the key switching could be the intended one as it was hinted in EP 7).
Old 2013-08-03, 17:37   Link #32647
Dormin

I don't remember the exact red truths but wouldn't it be possible if Yasu pointed them from the window with a gun and threatened them to tie a noose around their heads? After placing the head on the noose she'd only have to shoot them the construct the scenario.

I don't remember if it was stated that shooting them trough the window was impossible, but if we believe Gohda & co believed to be playing, even the tying the noose around the neck could be justified by them believing to play death by hanging before being shot trough the window
Dormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 17:46   Link #32648
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormin View Post
I don't remember the exact red truths but wouldn't it be possible if Yasu pointed them from the window with a gun and threatened them to tie a noose around their heads? After placing the head on the noose she'd only have to shoot them the construct the scenario.

I don't remember if it was stated that shooting them trough the window was impossible, but if we believe Gohda & co believed to be playing, even the tying the noose around the neck could be justified by them believing to play death by hanging before being shot trough the window
Specifically, I think they were facing away from the window and had been shot directly in the forehead.
Old 2013-08-03, 17:51   Link #32649
Dormin

Quote:
Specifically, I think they were facing away from the window and had been shot directly in the forehead.
Though was it directly said that way? I really don't remember. If it were, that pretty much destroys my theory.

Only thing I specifically remember was thinking that shooting a hanged person is a total overkill
Dormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 18:08   Link #32650
jjblue1

Quote:
This is what the VN says

Spoiler for EP 4 Battler's investigation on Gohda and Kumasawa:

So according to Battler they could have been shoot through the windows. So if they set the loops around their neck and waited like that there was no need to remove the key from Gohda's poket.

Also, yes, they weren't facing the window when Battler found them but, if they had just turned their head and then had been shoot the head might have ended up returning to face forward once they were dead because the muscles wouldn't be able to keep it turned anymore.
Old 2013-08-03, 21:21   Link #32651
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Agatha Christie never used any such device. It was used in an episode of Famous Detective Conan / Case Closed. Somebody posted a link to a snipped way back.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 21:31   Link #32652
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
I'm pretty sure Agatha Christie never used any such device. It was used in an episode of Famous Detective Conan / Case Closed. Somebody posted a link to a snipped way back.
It might be I'm confusing the two, though I seem to remember Agatha Christie using a closed rom and a trick similar to it. But it's been so long from the last time I get the chance to read my collection of Agatha Christie's book I might remember wrong.
Old 2013-08-04, 02:40   Link #32653
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Is it not possible Battler just ... solved the epitaph, normally? After all, due to Erika's presence it's the only time he considers it with the adults and their clues, as well
It's possible, sure. We just don't know, because Battler's thoughts in EP5 are unreliable.

On the other hand, it's very strange for Battler to attribute his alleged discovery of the turned statue to Kinzo... when he did not actually see Kinzo and supposedly doesn't even know that Kinzo is dead.

I can maybe imagine a motive for Battler's lie under the assumption that he is actually aware that Kinzo is dead. But under the assumption that Battler thinks Kinzo is alive I can't make any sense of it.

At the very least, it suggests that Battler was aware that Kinzo was dead, which leads to the question of how he would know that.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 08:29   Link #32654
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
It's possible, sure. We just don't know, because Battler's thoughts in EP5 are unreliable.

On the other hand, it's very strange for Battler to attribute his alleged discovery of the turned statue to Kinzo... when he did not actually see Kinzo and supposedly doesn't even know that Kinzo is dead.

I can maybe imagine a motive for Battler's lie under the assumption that he is actually aware that Kinzo is dead. But under the assumption that Battler thinks Kinzo is alive I can't make any sense of it.

At the very least, it suggests that Battler was aware that Kinzo was dead, which leads to the question of how he would know that.
Perhaps they were indeed planning the "mystery murder game" to frame Natsuhi already, I mean his counsins must have been informed about it at some point and that was probably before Battler and Erika went out for the epitaph. Maybe him doing that act for some reason gave him some unusual motivation to solve the epitaph. We do not know for sure what may have happened behind the scenes.
Old 2013-08-04, 12:06   Link #32655
jjblue1

Quote:
Perhaps they were indeed planning the "mystery murder game" to frame Natsuhi already, I mean his counsins must have been informed about it at some point and that was probably before Battler and Erika went out for the epitaph. Maybe him doing that act for some reason gave him some unusual motivation to solve the epitaph. We do not know for sure what may have happened behind the scenes.
If one wants to interpret the scene in a 'gentle way' Battler didn't see Kinzo in person but that in his mind he saw Kinzo saying or doing something or, anyway though of him and this pushed him to go forward.

Let's assume Battler doesn't aim to harm anyone but he'd been involved in 'Beatrice/the adults' game' as he's been asked to play the role of who solves the epitaph and he was told Krauss might be hiding Kinzo's death for his own purpose and letting his siblings in troubles.

He might think he's doing the righteous thing in 'playing the role of the one who solves the epitaph against Natsuhi & Krauss'. Maybe he thinks just this will push them to confess, they'll split the gold and then he'll return the title to Krauss.

After all, if Battler solves the epitaph:

Quote:
"You're now a real successor to the head! You've got to have an audience with Father and have him acknowledge you right away...!"
... and he could meet Kinzo only if Kinzo is alive, which will force Krauss to either show Kinzo is alive or admit his lie.

Then Erika with her words makes him think things might not go so smoothly and this isn't really a game and he'd been tricked into taking part to it.

He has second thoughts then... he remembers Kinzo saying something and takes his decision. And in his mind is as if Kinzo told him the way, same way as in Maria's mind Sakutarou is dead or alive but basically he really saw no one and Kinzo told him nothing right then.

Or he actually saw someone else (Shannon or even Genji) who helped him but he thought they were doing it because it would have been Kinzo's will so, thought this person, Kinzo 'told' him.

We know Battler must know Shannon & Kanon are involved as they're 'present' when he receives the ring. If he was handed the solution by someone, let's say Kyrie, who told him: "Grandfather is death but we can prove it. However before dying he understood Krauss might try to hide it for his own gain so he handed to one of his servants the solutions with instructions saying if he were to die and Krauss would try to hide it, they should pass the solution to you. This is what we have about the solution, it's sadly incomplete but grandfather though you would figure out how to continue so Battler-kun please help us reveal that grandfather die so we can give him a proper burial and make him rest in peace?"

Maybe he didn't take it seriously at first, he thought it was a joke, how could Krauss do something like this but then things start to get clearer and seeing a servant in the rain pointing to a direction surprised him and confirmed him the fact this might be not a random treasure hunting game but that he's following grandfather's wills.

In the manga we see he was surprised enough by what he saw he dropped his umbrella so I'll say he saw something that surprised him. Just not Kinzo.
Old 2013-08-05, 08:17   Link #32656
ALPHA-Beatrice

There's an interesting riddle in the 6th game(especially if you consider Erika to be an actual existence in the world of the Game Boards).

Namely, the closed room scenario.

Lady Beatrice suggests that Kanon is neither in the closet, bedroom or the bathroom.
The commonly accepted theory is that Erika Shot and killed Kanon

But Knox's 7th prevents the detective from being the Culprit

So, how exactly did Kanon escape from the closed room? Battler most certainly isn't coming back, Erika has refused to open the chain lock "for all eternity". And the windows can't be opened.

Here's my theory:

The winds from the typhoons broke the windows, during that time Erika was still inspecting the bathroom. So she couldn't have noticed Kanon escape.

It's true that the windows can't be "opened", but there's no red or blue text against them being "broken".
ALPHA-Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 09:37   Link #32657
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Erika isn't a detective. That was... kind of the whole point of everything she does in ep6.

Also if you believe in character Shkanonigans then you can just say Kanon stopped being Kanon and Erika never has to have actually undertaken any action. I don't know why you would argue Kanon stopped being Kanon, but it's apparently valid under the red.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 10:09   Link #32658
ALPHA-Beatrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Erika isn't a detective. That was... kind of the whole point of everything she does in ep6.

Also if you believe in character Shkanonigans then you can just say Kanon stopped being Kanon and Erika never has to have actually undertaken any action. I don't know why you would argue Kanon stopped being Kanon, but it's apparently valid under the red.
But didn't Lady Beatrice acknowledge that Erika was the detective when Erika asked to confirm she didn't want to save Battler/Kanon.
Old 2013-08-05, 10:10   Link #32659
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Erika killed at least 5 people in EP6, therefore she isn't the detective.

I see you still try to prove Rosatrice... or at least you try to disprove shkanon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA-Beatrice View Post
But didn't Lady Beatrice acknowledge that Erika was the detective when Erika asked to confirm she didn't want to save Battler/Kanon.
No, she did not do that. At least not in red.
Old 2013-08-05, 10:27   Link #32660
ALPHA-Beatrice

Quote:
Erika killed at least 5 people in EP6, therefore she isn't the detective.

I see you still try to prove Rosatrice... or at least you try to disprove shkanon.

No, she did not do that. At least not in red.
**Sips tea** The point wasn't to prove Rosatrice or to disprove Shkanontrice.

The point was to discuss Umineko Theorem, and to enjoy ourselves.