AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2012-03-31, 17:48   Link #1641
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koominator View Post
I would like the make a signature similar to this.

This is one of the signatures escimo made. Pardon me for posting this! I just really wanted to know.

Is there a specific tutorial on how to make those cybernetic lines and effects?
JRendell pretty much covered it. They're just brushes. I've uploaded the PSD for you to poke around. It's actually rather simple stuff in this case. I think you'll find it more useful than my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
They're just brushes. Your best bet for them would be on deviantArt. Here's some I found after a quick search; Z-design Tech Brushes.
Thanks. I was wondering which set I used for that sig. My brush collection is a huge mess.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 22:49   Link #1642
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Thanks. I was wondering which set I used for that sig. My brush collection is a huge mess.
Oh wow, those were the ones you used? Score!
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 04:54   Link #1643
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Spoiler for Long:
Thanks again for this Riker <3
Old 2012-04-08, 06:17   Link #1644
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@SweetHoney

Extra little thing you should know about that.

It applies to transparency on png as well. Transparency is essentially a different channel so you can think of the transparency of the image as a whole other image on top of your non-transparent image.

What this means is, even if you hide part of a image with transparency, it's only visually hidden, but the data is still there; to optimize it either run it though a tool, or paint the invisible things with black or some other color to minimize the size (just select the layer mask to get a perfect selection).
Old 2012-04-09, 20:47   Link #1645
Azuryte

Hi I have a quick question regarding the use of empty space & how not to make a signature too plain.

Right now I'm currently making a Facebook cover for my charity on a FB Page, as it stands the cover is basically the name of the organization, and what our mission is, however the problem is that its to plain, and looks "awkward" because of the simplicity and the empty space.

I'm really not sure what to do to make it looks better/what to add in general, currently I'm using paint.net since I don't have my mac w/ PS on it.

Any tips/advice? (can't add pictures).

Thanks >_<
Azuryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 20:57   Link #1646
JRendell
Manga Addict

Hmm, it's kinda difficult to give some advice based on so little info.

What kind of charity is it? What sort of theme are you going for?

If your charity has a logo, maybe adding that in there somewhere, although that could make it look even more awkward Or, take some of the colours used in the logo and use them to make a background.

Sometimes, simplicity is best. It's a shame you can post an image of what you have.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:45   Link #1647
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Quote:
Hmm, it's kinda difficult to give some advice based on so little info.

What kind of charity is it? What sort of theme are you going for?

If your charity has a logo, maybe adding that in there somewhere, although that could make it look even more awkward Or, take some of the colours used in the logo and use them to make a background.

Sometimes, simplicity is best. It's a shame you can't post an image of what you have.
fixed

I agree with JRendell though, we can't really help you out without having a clear image of your idea

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 08:46   Link #1648
Eragon
Still Alive

Could someone tell me how to give lighting effect(assuming they are. I'm new to this) like the one on the sword in this pic.....please.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-04-14 at 09:04.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 17:51   Link #1649
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Could someone tell me how to give lighting effect(assuming they are. I'm new to this) like the one on the sword in this pic.....please.

First off, what program are you using? If photoshop, read on;

Here's a basic lighting tutorial I did a long way back. If you follow it through you'll get to grips with how simple brushes and some layer filters can create some interesting lighting. Once you know the basics, you can then get a bit creative and play around until you create some awesome effects.

I'll also give you this .psd of one of my signatures which has lot's of lighting in. It might help.

Outbound Link to Hotfile

Lemme know if you have any more questions.

Quote:
Signature Lighting Tutorial
For Photoshop CS3 and CS4

Okay people, a few of you have been nicely commenting on the lighting in my signatures, so I thought I'd make a tutorial. It's my first attempt at something like this, so apologies if some parts are explained well enough. I've decided to make the tutorial accessible to users of all skill levels, so if you're a veteran, expect some easy parts.

Anyways, in this tutorial you will learn about render lighting, as well as some decent gradient maps to add that *zap!* to your sig. After you finish with the tut and have create a sig with it, feel free to post your outcomes in my thread here. It would be great to see what some of you can come up with.

I will be using the above signature to demonstrate, so expect an outcome somewhat similar. Good luck.

Step 1
Open up a blank canvas. All of my signatures are at 370x160, but you can use whatever size you want. Make sure the background is set to Transparent and the resolution at 72.

Step 2
Pick your render and insert it into the document. Resize it to however you see fit using Transform. A good tip I learnt is to hold 'Shift' when resizing, as it keeps both the height and the width the same, stopping the image from becoming squashed/stretched. The render should be on a separate layer and you should now have two layers.

Step 3
Pick two colours from your render. One should be a lighter colour and the other a darker. Make sure that your lighter colour is set as the foreground colour. Now, select the gradient tool, and set it to Radial Gradient. On your 'bg' layer which should be beneath the render layer, draw from the bottom of the canvas to around the top, aiming for it to be just to the side of the render. See the image if you don't understand.

Step 4
Create a new layer and rename it to 'lighting'. Using the 'Paint Bucket' tool, default [G], fill this layer completely black, then set it's opacity to 70%. This layer should be above all others. Now get out some 'Basic Bushes' and select a Soft Brush at 80px. Hide the 'lighting' layer and now select the 'Eye Dropper' tool, default [I]. Once again select a bright colour from your render, not necessarily the same as before, but it doesn't matter. Now unhide the 'lighting' layer and get out you brush. Right now, it should look something like this.

Step 5
Still on the same layer with your brush selected, brush where you want light to be. Try to keep the brushing over the top of the render, as this is what we want to add light to. The aim of this layer is to create some artificial light, and we will add the source of that later, so consider this when brushing. Below you can see what I did.

Step 6
Now that you have added the brushes, set the 'lighting' layer to Linear Dodge and at 40% Opacity.

Step 7
Create a new layer and rename it to 'burned'. Now go to 'Image' then 'Apply Image' (you may have to click 'Show All Menu Items in order to see this). Now select your burn tool and set it's size to a Soft Brush at 300px. The 'Range' should be on Midtones and the 'Exposure' at 20%. Now, as if brushing, brush over the 'burned' layer. Note: try not to brush over where you want the lighting/light source to be. The aim of this layer is to darken the rest of the image so that attention is brought to the lighting and render. See below for what I did.

Step 8
Just like what we did in 'Step 7', create a new layer and Apply Image. Rename this layer to 'b/w gradient map'. Now hit Shift + D to set your foreground and background colours to default (black + white). Then, still on the 'b/w gradient map' layer, go to 'Image', 'Adjustments' and then 'Gradient Map'. Don't change any of the colours as they should already be black and white. Hit 'OK'. Set this layers opacity to 30%.

Step 9
Repeat 'Step 8', however set your foreground colour to #4300A7 and your background colour to #E66700. Rename this layer to 'p/o gradient map'. Set this layer to Soft Light. I kept the opacity at 100%, however it depends on your render as to what will look better, so set at whatever opacity you wish.
. .

Step 10
Note: This step is optional. Once again create a new layer and apply it. Then go to 'Filter', 'Sharpen' and then 'Sharpen'. I decided against doing this, but on other signatures I have created using this tutorial, I have carried out this step.

Step 11
Create a new layer. Get out your brushes again, but set the size to a Soft Brush at 300px. Wherever you brush is going to become the 'Light Source', so take this into consideration. I brushed at the top of the image. Rename the layer to 'light source'. See below.

Step 12
Add a border, some shapes and some text, and bob's yer uncle.

Thanks for reading and I hope this is of some benefit to some of you! All you have to do now is post the outcomes here. Post up if you are stuck or don't understand anything, or if you want to make a suggestion.

Peace out,

JR~
Old 2012-04-14, 18:34   Link #1650
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Guys, how do you lower the avatar size without having to cut your frames shorter? I've seen other to have been using so many frames but the size is only 50kb (yes, I check some of them).

Is it because of the transparency? Whats your ideal setting? (1-100)

Is it the quality? What's you ideal setting? (1-100)

*GIMP user.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 18:50   Link #1651
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Read the tutorials. There are many good hints there. Also the avatar limit is now 100kb so it shouldn't be that hard to make what you want.
Old 2012-04-14, 20:04   Link #1652
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Read the tutorials. There are many good hints there. Also the avatar limit is now 100kb so it shouldn't be that hard to make what you want.
I just need the digits/numbers...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 01:03   Link #1653
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You remove noise between frames and unnecessary motion in the avatar. The digit/numbers don't do squat by comparison.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:59   Link #1654
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I just need the digits/numbers...
There are no magical numbers to make avatar lower in size but retain quality. Experiment man, experiment. Do what Felix suggested, and there are other few things too as shown in the tutorials.
Old 2012-04-21, 00:33   Link #1655
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Signature tutorial!

Part 1:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Part 2:
Images

PSD for reference: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5234da6bwayub2i

Last edited by Rennir; 2013-06-19 at 12:44.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 21:00   Link #1656
JRendell
Manga Addict

Wow, nice one Rennir! Here's my result;

I like to use the clipping-mask and linear-dodge lighting effects too. I didn't bother with any text 'cause text is a ballache When I saw you using a fair amount of orange, I thought I'd try at making it look like an explosion happening behind my render. The smudging and clip-masking helped add to that I think.

One thing I will mention is the blurring at the end. I'd normally blend the background right at the beginning, before I've even stuck my render on there. That way you don't have to work around what you've already created.

I detest C4Ds too, but that's a personal thing
Old 2012-04-21, 21:31   Link #1657
Haladflire65
*Artist

Looks fantastic, JR! It's a really good tutorial Renn-kun, I think I'll try something out with it too
Old 2012-04-21, 21:35   Link #1658
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Wow, nice one Rennir! Here's my result;

I like to use the clipping-mask and linear-dodge lighting effects too. I didn't bother with any text 'cause text is a ballache When I saw you using a fair amount of orange, I thought I'd try at making it look like an explosion happening behind my render. The smudging and clip-masking helped add to that I think.

One thing I will mention is the blurring at the end. I'd normally blend the background right at the beginning, before I've even stuck my render on there. That way you don't have to work around what you've already created.

I detest C4Ds too, but that's a personal thing
Thanks for trying it out

Yeah, they're pretty great techniques for any gfx artist's arsenal, especially splatter-brushed clipping masks because they're applicable in tons of situations. Don't worry about the text, because a lot of sigs look better without text too The explosion looks great, only thing I would say is to add some smaller particles using a splatter brush to accentuate the effect more. Everything else was pulled off well

Yeah, a lot of that stuff you can do either before or after I probably should've mentioned that. Sometimes I do it in the beginning and sometimes at the end, same with text, lighting, and a bunch of the other details
Old 2012-04-22, 09:52   Link #1659
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Signature tutorial!
Spoiler for Size:
Well done bro, I love the outcome. I have always wondered how gfx artists managed to do that explosion-like effect ....Thanks for clearing that up!

I will definitely try the tutorial out when I done with my other projects ;D

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 18:48   Link #1660
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Just sharing this new tutorial I just made.

Part 1.
Images

Part 2.
Images

Tags
avatar, graphic, photoshop, signature