Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-06-16, 06:43   Link #321
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseo0408 View Post
What a nice story, very sweet but still delivers the message that love might be sweet but still hurts. I don´t remember, how may episodes is this series going to have?.
Guess it's kind of weird to feel the opposite yet equivalent message: love might hurt, but it's still so sweet.

Have to say I do feel a bit for Hira now. Forgot how harsh friend-zoning can be. Seriously, while I wouldn't mean it as an attempt to get her to leave him, I would still have replied to that line "you're my friend, that's different" with something along the lines of "why should us being friends matter!" I mean seriously, everything I've seen says that the one you love should be your best friend. Whether you become best friends and then fall in love or fall in love and build a friendship from there, "you're my friend" should be an essential point to a romantic relationship, and I'd get really frustrated at anyone who dumped me saying something like what she said. I know that she was really just saying that she cared about him in a different way, but it sounded like she was saying that friendship is different in a way that excluded romance, and that's just insulting to someone who fell in love with a precious friend.

Back to the main characters though, I felt a lot of the same stuff other people said here. Wanted to shout at the screen for a while as Kotarou seemed to sulk and reject her, but when I saw him trying to figure out how to get into Koumei, and then when Akane found out and chased him down, I actually found myself fist pumping without realizing it. Those two really are precious together. And yeah, it's kind of messed up to have that many ghost members of the literature club. Show up from time to time will ya?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 10:41   Link #322
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
They kissed! Finally!!
I'm counting the one at the matsuri in Episode 8.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 11:30   Link #323
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

In case anyone is wondering, the timeline for episode 10 is the third weekend in October when the Kawagoe Festival is held, and over a month after episode 9 (the beginning of the Fall Semester), which itself was a month after episode 8 (August 10th). My, how time flies when you're in love!

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the final episode turns out to be an enchanting Christmas Eve...
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-21, 00:28   Link #324
Kakurin
大佐

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

CM for the soundtrack due 5th July.
Old 2017-06-21, 19:33   Link #325
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

It seems pretty sad that this series doesn't get the attention here on animesuki forums that it gets elsewhere. There's at least one forum where just episode 10 has gotten more comments (over 400) than the whole series has here on animesuki.

So, I'll contribute some more of my biased opinions...

Here's a lengthy post I wrote regarding Akane's contribution to the fracturing of her relationship with Kotarou during episode 10. I'm sure some, if not most, will disagree with my point of view. If you think you really know what my opinion is, don't bother reading the post, I'm sure it won't change your mind.

On a lighter note, I've added a few more reasons to my previous post here why this series is different than the usual romance anime:

on the plus side

* The animation is played straight without any special effects (except the omakes).
* All of the characters act like real human beings.
* Parents play an integral part in the story (instead of being completely absent).
* Conflicts are resolved quickly and don't last several episodes.
* The MC acts more mature and sincere than most (if not all) romance protagonists.
* Everything about the story is completely believable.

And if episode 10 had been the final episode... of course I have an opinion about that, as well...
Old 2017-06-22, 04:51   Link #326
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:36.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 05:41   Link #327
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

And here's the non-regional version.

Spoiler for She's back...:

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2017-06-22 at 06:06.
Old 2017-06-22, 10:29   Link #328
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:36.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 19:12   Link #329
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

a mother's love is so beautiful. i teared up a little thinking about what my parents had done for me when I was a teenager and the sacrifices they made.

there's no way he's going to fail right? he'll probably be the last placement right? they wouldn't drag us this far and ruin it right? RIGHT?!

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 19:37   Link #330
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Episode 11 time skipped by leaps and bounds. Episode 10 left us at the 3rd week of October, which we only know because that is when the Kawagoe Festival is held. Episode 11 starts off about seven weeks later on December 6th. Fortunately, the anime staff got smart and included occasional shots of Kotarou's alarm clock so we know just how much time passes during the episode.

That said, it went from December 6th to February 5th in one episode, which surprised the hell out of me. Especially with the bare minimal emphasis on (glossing over, really) Christmas, and none regarding the typical New Year's Day visit to the shrine, both of which are usually high points in romance animes.

It's too bad that the series didn't have a bigger budget so that it could have been 2 cour. It would have been nice if we could have seen more day-to-day interactions between Akane and Kotarou, instead of the snap-shot like focus of specific events every month or two.

Don't get me wrong. As it is, it is certainly the best romance anime I've seen, and Akane and Kotarou are the most endearing couple. I just want to see more!!!

It will be a very hard pill to swallow if Kotarou does not pass the entrance exam to Koumei Private High school, which we won't know until next week, the final episode. If he does not pass, it might spell doom for his relationship with Akane. Long distance relationships can work, even in the fictional world of anime and manga, but they are more likely to fail if the parties are not 100% committed to each other and the relationship.

That said, the preview text for episode 12, already on mxtv, seems to either be trolling the audience (again), or explicitly stating that the relationship is practically doomed (not my translation):
Spoiler for episode 12 preview text and translation:

Here's the LINE chat text from the end of the episode, thanks to brownricecookies:

Spoiler for LINE chat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
a mother's love is so beautiful. i teared up a little thinking about what my parents had done for me when I was a teenager and the sacrifices they made.

there's no way he's going to fail right? he'll probably be the last placement right? they wouldn't drag us this far and ruin it right? RIGHT?!
I had actually expected Kotarou's mom to tear up in that midnight scene while she made the onigiri for Kotarou. His parents looked so proud of him in that final scene as he went off to take his entrance exam. Having parents contribute so much to an anime series is an unexpected delight.

And, yes, it wouldn't be the first time that an anime tore the heart out of it's audience after leading it down the primrose path up until the very last episode...
Old 2017-06-22, 21:29   Link #331
Nivek von Beldo

The strange why the mom was so opposed to the private school? distance? in other series the mother might have jumped of happiness his son is trying to get into a 'real' school or something like that or there something i missed?
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 22:16   Link #332
Requiem-x
The slacking one

I started watching this right after my mom cheered me up. Funny thing, huh?

Yet another beautiful episode, showing the cutest couple ever (my only dissapointment is that Koutarou didn't try to wrap the muffler around Akane, but that's just nitpicking), as well as the difficulties they have to face, more specifically, reality. Can't say Akane's sister doesn't have a point, but goddammit, I want this to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post

...It could happen. There were some signs this episode...

Either way, it will probably be a well done ending, but damn it, I really want this to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
The strange why the mom was so opposed to the private school? distance? in other series the mother might have jumped of happiness his son is trying to get into a 'real' school or something like that or there something i missed?
Some parents like to keep it close and safe, and he wasn't really trying till now.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 22:33   Link #333
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
it's not about private or public. it's about him choosing that school because of a girl.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 04:48   Link #334
Zangor17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
That said, the preview text for episode 12, already on mxtv, seems to either be trolling the audience (again), or explicitly stating that the relationship is practically doomed (not my translation):
There was trolling sometime before? when was this?
Anyway. i really hope this ends nicely for the two of them its been a really enjoyable ride this season.
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 11:32   Link #335
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Realistically, Kotarou going to the same high school that takes two hours to get to (and two hours to return home) every day just to be with his girlfriend would probably end up very disappointing on the being together end.

To begin with, they probably wouldn't have much, if any, time to meet in the morning after Kotaru's long commute. They will more than likely not be in the same homeroom. They probably won't have any of the same classes. They might not even have lunch at the same time so they might not even be able to share lunch together. So how much time would they get to spend together during the schoolday? Probably none.

And after school, well, Akane will have club so they won't be able to spend any leisurely time after school, either. If Kotarou hangs around for her, he could spend a few minutes with her before they each head home for the night.

Travel time every day: four hours. Time spent with girlfriend every day: a few minutes, or more likely, none.
Old 2017-06-24, 11:15   Link #336
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Realistically, Kotarou going to the same high school that takes two hours to get to (and two hours to return home) every day just to be with his girlfriend would probably end up very disappointing on the being together end.

To begin with, they probably wouldn't have much, if any, time to meet in the morning after Kotaru's long commute. They will more than likely not be in the same homeroom. They probably won't have any of the same classes. They might not even have lunch at the same time so they might not even be able to share lunch together. So how much time would they get to spend together during the schoolday? Probably none.

And after school, well, Akane will have club so they won't be able to spend any leisurely time after school, either. If Kotarou hangs around for her, he could spend a few minutes with her before they each head home for the night.

Travel time every day: four hours. Time spent with girlfriend every day: a few minutes, or more likely, none.
Hard to say really. I'd say it's better though. They'd still be able to meet between classes and at lunch, and if you compare it he'll get more time with her. Without this, the few times they meet one of them will finish extracurricular activity and then have to take out five or six hours to get there, date, and come back. With this, he'd still have to wait until after her club ends but it'd still be merely postponing the two-hour return trip. Not to mention that not trying would look like he's giving up or something.

As Akane's sis said, it does have a lot of risk since they're only 15 and if they have a falling out this sacrifice and effort will be a huge weight, and will either make them hold out of obligation long after they should have at least "taken a break" or raise the bitterness of the break-up to a higher level, potentially making it even harder to patch things up. But then a two-edged sword does still cut your target even if it cuts you too. The very fact that they've (or he's) overcome such a potentially huge obstacle will go a long way to strengthening their bonds. And while it's important not to rush too fast into marriage, it's not impossible to marry your first love. Look around online and you can actually find touching stories of people who became "sweethearts" before they were old enough to understand what that meant, became serious and dated and eventually married without ever being unfaithful. It's rare and it's not a great idea to say that that's how it "should" be, but it's not right to say it can't be that way. There's really no telling. He could end up some day married to Akane, or to Chinatsu, or to someone he won't meet till after college. The future's a blank page and he's free to write the story he wants.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-26, 17:17   Link #337
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Can't say Akane's sister doesn't have a point, but goddammit, I want this to work.
Akane's sister is just trying to impose her cynicism for no reason. Sometime you do meet your soul-mate in middle school and Akane's sister should not try to plant seeds of doubt!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-26, 19:33   Link #338
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Akane's sister is just trying to impose her cynicism for no reason. Sometime you do meet your soul-mate in middle school and Akane's sister should not try to plant seeds of doubt!
Akane is Ayane's baby sister who she clearly loves, and wants the best for her. It wasn't "cynicism", she wasn't trying to "plant seeds of doubt," and it wasn't for "no reason." Like her concern about Akane's so-called "best friend" going after her boyfriend, Ayane had very real, legitimate arguments about which she felt compelled to inform her little sister. Contrary to your cynical view, Ayane is a great big sister who only has her little sister's best interest in mind.
Old 2017-06-26, 19:43   Link #339
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Akane is Ayane's baby sister who she clearly loves, and wants the best for her. It wasn't "cynicism", she wasn't trying to "plant seeds of doubt," and it wasn't for "no reason." Like her concern about Akane's so-called "best friend" going after her boyfriend, Ayane had very real, legitimate arguments about which she felt compelled to inform her little sister. Contrary to your cynical view, Ayane is a great big sister who only has her little sister's best interest in mind.
Perhaps, but Ayane expressed it in a way that was unfeeling.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 02:47   Link #340
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
It seems pretty sad that this series doesn't get the attention here on animesuki forums that it gets elsewhere. There's at least one forum where just episode 10 has gotten more comments (over 400) than the whole series has here on animesuki.

So, I'll contribute some more of my biased opinions...

Here's a lengthy post I wrote regarding Akane's contribution to the fracturing of her relationship with Kotarou during episode 10. I'm sure some, if not most, will disagree with my point of view. If you think you really know what my opinion is, don't bother reading the post, I'm sure it won't change your mind.

On a lighter note, I've added a few more reasons to my previous post here why this series is different than the usual romance anime:

on the plus side

* The animation is played straight without any special effects (except the omakes).
* All of the characters act like real human beings.
* Parents play an integral part in the story (instead of being completely absent).
* Conflicts are resolved quickly and don't last several episodes.
* The MC acts more mature and sincere than most (if not all) romance protagonists.
* Everything about the story is completely believable.

And if episode 10 had been the final episode... of course I have an opinion about that, as well...
BTW I read your posts. Awesome analysis.

Also, regarding the earlier discussion about how much they'd be able to see each other while in high school, as part of a school program I studied abroad in Japan for three months and lived in a home-stay and got to meet my fair share of Japanese college students and also some high school students and become friends with them so I can confirm that this is being really realistic. People have lots of obligations on a daily basis and commute time is a real thing (even elementary school students often commute by themselves in Japan on the train though I think their schooingl is only half-days, but I'm still like wtf). I had to commute for an hour to get to school and that was pretty normal or on the short end compared to a lot of people and people have to often prioritize between hanging out with different groups of friends, clubs, and family, and so Japanese people can't choose to do all that much. It's really interesting how complicated it seems to be able to have a personal life apart from all the other things you have to be worrying about as a Japanese person. This sort of thing was what made me realize just how exaggerated the perfect goddess student prez type character who can do anything/everything at once and also have social skills + sports is in light novels (though I guess that's irrelevant to my point here lol).

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )

Last edited by dniv; 2017-06-28 at 03:00.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel