AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-08-12, 11:55   Link #1
ninja666

Adventure anime based around Ancient China?

The title pretty much says it all. Please recommend only series that have finished airing and end conclusively - there's no sequel in the works I'd have to wait for, and no manga is required to be read to get the entirety of the story.

I already know about Souten Kouro, so don't suggest that one.

Thanks in advance.
ninja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 17:18   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

What about a western one? Avatar: The Last Airbender
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 17:30   Link #3
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
What about a western one? Avatar: The Last Airbender
Avatar doesn't take place in ancient China.
Old 2017-08-12, 22:02   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are two fantasy shows modelled on China.

Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms") relies heavily on the Confucian "mandate of heaven" to tell a political and military story about imperial succession. The world of the kingdoms has strong Chinese cultural and historical roots.

Saiunkoku Monogatari takes place in a fictitious Asian empire that closely resembles T'ang China (600-900 CE). It's also a highly political story involving a impoverished princess who is bribed into becoming the new emperor's concubine. There's considerable focus on Chinese institutions like the bureaucracy and the examination system. None of this gets in the way of a delightful story with one of my favorite anime heroines of all time.

Both shows have adventure though Juuni Kokuki is stronger in that department. It also starts slowly, but by episode six you'll be hooked. Also I will warn you in advance about the structure of the show. The first thirty-nine episodes constitute a complete story focusing on Nakajima Youko. There were plans for another complete season, but the novelist took ill. The producers took the material they had and crafted the six episode story that concludes the series. So with that caveat it is finished.

Both shows are adaptations of series of novels. The stories continue on in the books, but the animes are pretty conclusive subject to the caveat above.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-08-12 at 22:13.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 22:51   Link #5
ninja666

Just out of sheer curiosity: Is there really so few "historical" anime based around China? Because I asked around in three different places and when I rule out Souten Kouro (which I'm not even sure if it even is the thing I'm looking for in regards of the ending; I haven't seen it all the way through), the only thing I'm getting suggested are fantasy anime with vaguely Chinese aesthetics.

As for the suggestions:

Is Saiunkoku Monogatari really an adventure anime? Because from the description of I'm reading on MAL, it sounds more like Fushigi Yuugi - very romance-oriented, with just enough non-romance stuff on the side to guarantee the "adventure" genre tag, but not enough to actually feel like a proper adventure anime.

Juuni Kokuki looks interesting. I'm not really a fan of "person from Earth stuck in another world" trope, but I might give it a go regardless if nothing better shows up. Too bad it never received the source material it needed for a proper ending, but since they managed to end it in a conclusive manner regardless of that, I'll look the other way on that.
Old 2017-08-13, 07:27   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja666 View Post
Is Saiunkoku Monogatari really an adventure anime? Because from the description of I'm reading on MAL, it sounds more like Fushigi Yuugi - very romance-oriented, with just enough non-romance stuff on the side to guarantee the "adventure" genre tag, but not enough to actually feel like a proper adventure anime.
The arcs that are set in remote locations like Sa Province have a more adventuresome feel.

Quote:
Juuni Kokuki looks interesting. I'm not really a fan of "person from Earth stuck in another world" trope, but I might give it a go regardless if nothing better shows up.
It's a classic in that genre and was written a decade or more before the current wave of "isekai" shows.

Quote:
Just out of sheer curiosity: Is there really so few "historical" anime based around China?
There aren't that many historical shows to begin with, and you'd expect the Japanese to be more interested in their own history than China's. Also the two countries have never been on the best of terms, to say the least.

If you're open to an unusual Japanese historical anime, I'll suggest Hyouge Mono. I'll add the caveat that it deviates from historical canon at one point
Spoiler:
but the cast itself is all composed of famous historical personages including the protagonist. It doesn't have a lot of adventure, though. It's more focused on the politics of the Sengoku period.
Old 2017-08-13, 07:53   Link #7
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There aren't that many historical shows to begin with, and you'd expect the Japanese to be more interested in their own history than China's. Also the two countries have never been on the best of terms, to say the least.
Yeah, I already noticed a severe lack of historical anime a few months ago, when I was looking for a more story-driven samurai anime. I found a grand total of three, one of them being the one you mentioned - Hyouge Mono. You'd expect more than that, considering Japan is the country samurai originate from.

As for Japan and China not being on the best of terms, I can understand that. Still, I'd expect there to be at least a few anime based around Chinese history, given how popular "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" was, and still is.

Quote:
If you're open to an unusual Japanese historical anime, I'll suggest Hyouge Mono. I'll add the caveat that it deviates from historical canon at one point
Spoiler:
but the cast itself is all composed of famous historical personages including the protagonist. It doesn't have a lot of adventure, though. It's more focused on the politics of the Sengoku period.
I tried watching it, but it wasn't really my cup of tea (heh, how appropriate, given what this anime is about) - I found the characters way too weird and the humor extremely unfunny. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 2017-08-13, 07:54   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Avatar doesn't take place in ancient China.
Well you did say "based around".

If you're looking for historical fiction then the only one I can think of Kingdom though I don't know about its historical fidelity.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 07:58   Link #9
ninja666

Quote:
Well you did say "based around".
I think that was my mistake. What I meant was "historical fiction set in Ancient China, with an adventurous feel to it".

Quote:
If you're looking for historical fiction then the only one I can think of Kingdom though I don't know about its historical fidelity.
That was the first anime I researched. Turns out it doesn't have a conclusive ending, so it's a no-go for me.
Old 2017-08-13, 08:00   Link #10
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Well there is Koihime Musou... Actually I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned so far.
Old 2017-08-13, 08:06   Link #11
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoakari View Post
Well there is Koihime Musou... Actually I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned so far.
I looked it up. Apparently, it's an ecchi parody of ROTK, with every male character in the story replaced by a female, lesbian one? I don't think this is what I'm after.
Old 2017-08-13, 08:08   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Still, I'd expect there to be at least a few anime based around Chinese history, given how popular "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" was, and still is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...doms#Animation
Old 2017-08-13, 08:15   Link #13
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
I looked it up. Apparently, it's an ecchi parody of ROTK, with every male character in the story replaced by a female, lesbian one? I don't think this is what I'm after.
I wouldn't call it a good anime, but it was still pretty enjoyable. It had heart, or so to say.
Old 2017-08-13, 08:15   Link #14
ninja666

Quote:
I love how it mentions the same anime twice in the first two bullet points.

Well, it's not as bad as I thought, but it's still kinda bad. It appears that the only anime that would pass as a legit adaptation is that 1985 OVA. There's also Souten Kouro, but that's more of a twist-around on the novels, portraying the characters in controversial, albeit apparently more historically accurate, roles. That makes two in total. Looks like I'm not going to find what I'm looking for, am I?
Old 2017-08-13, 13:34   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Gen Urobuchi's Thunderbolt Fantasy has a Chinese setting. It's a remarkable display of puppetry by a team based in Taiwan. It's entirely a fantasy, of course, with no historical roots. Still the costuming and special effects are stunning, and the story is fun. Another season this fall, I believe. It's on Crunchyroll and YouTube.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-08-13 at 14:11.
Old 2017-08-13, 13:49   Link #16
ninja666

Looks... unique. I've never seen an entirely puppet-based show, so it might be an interesting experience. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for introducing me to it.
Old 2017-08-13, 14:14   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s there were a few animated puppet shows on American TV like Thunderbirds from animator Gerry Anderson. Those are the only other puppetry shows that I can remember watching.
Old 2017-08-13, 16:28   Link #18
RichardFromMarple

Star Fleet (aka X-Bomber) was a Japanese puppet show from the early 1980s. In spite of being created by Go Nagai it flopped in Japan but was a cult favourite elsewhere. Certainly me & my brother really enjoyed watching in in the UK in the 1980s.

Getting back on subject, have there been any anime adaptations of Journey To The West?

The Japanese live action version from the late 1970s is very good.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 12:10   Link #19
ninja666

From severe lack of better options, I started watching Twelve Kingdoms, since it was recommended to me the most in all of the places I asked. I'm 3 episodes in and I'm liking it so far, so I guess the request has been fulfilled. Thank you all for participating and for the help you provided.
Old 2017-08-16, 01:00   Link #20
kona~chan
ヘタレ

if you dont mind old animes
Soul Hunter / Houshin Engi - an anime inspired by famous novel fengseng bang

and maybe you could also try Cooking Master Boy /Chuka Ichiban if you lack for other option, not ancient since its takes place in 19th century china, and the story itself more about cooking than action but it still good anime.

well china also produces their own animation so it should be far easier if you search there, tho im not really sure if they distributed it outside, or if there's any sub for it.

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote