AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2013-07-05, 23:06   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

High School DxD - Character Discussion - Issei Hyoudou

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Issei Hyoudou related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all High School DxD fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 02:36   Link #2
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Issei is living any lecherous guy's dream. *Cough* Motohama *Cough* Matsuda

But I guess another thing to note about him is that like many protagonists in other manga, light novels, anime, etc. you can watch him progress/grow little by little as a character through out the story.

Last edited by greensoulreaper; 2013-07-08 at 03:25.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 23:25   Link #3
DrakeKnight

Issei Pros: Hardworking, Loyal, Friendly, Earnest, Honest
Cons: HUGE PERVERT, Plain Face, weak looking(in the begin)
DrakeKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 11:18   Link #4
backbone
Banned

Oh great, finally found other annoying characters voiced by Yuuki Kaji!
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 13:24   Link #5
ragez2010
TamingSari

don't we have VA thread if you want to complaint about him? and why the hate?

for issei, i want to see how he will fight the white guy in the OP, seeing in season 1 he got some trouble to defeat Raiser?
ragez2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 15:45   Link #6
dmaxzero

I never understood why he has to nose bleed like a darn fountain. I mean, its disgusting at the level is portrayed in LN. I am happy that in the TV series has been toned down a lot.

Other than that, he becomes really great later. is one the few that is kind of stereotypical but he is well made, so it never annoys you.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 11:24   Link #7
rvlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragez2010 View Post
don't we have VA thread if you want to complaint about him? and why the hate?

for issei, i want to see how he will fight the white guy in the OP, seeing in season 1 he got some trouble to defeat Raiser?
I think the reason for all the Yuuki Kaji hate isn't because of him but because a lot of who he voiced are utter wimps and/or huge perverts and that is something that people really are annoyed at.

Dude himself is pretty cool though when he was a guest with Sugita and Nakamura in Tokyo Encounter.
Old 2013-07-21, 17:53   Link #8
ImperialFlameGod8190

Seriously guys think about this for a second this is a fanservice anime by its nature and as the MC naturally he has plenty of nosebleed moments.

@dmax The nosebleeds are so they don't havta show boners to kids all the time. If u don't like the nosebleeds or the fanservice stop watching cause its only gonna get worse from here.

Issei is a perv we all know that lets face it if u guys were in issei's shoes you'd be the same way so don't condem him for that.

@backbone seriously first u skip the fanservice that's 90% of the anime and now u complain about the VA stop watching cause those complaints are what make the series what it is.

I know I shouldn't start a fight but this is shameful complaining about what makes this anime what it is if u want action fine but trying to skip every fanservice moment means u'll miss half the episode.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 10:08   Link #9
dmaxzero

I dont know, maybe just to annoy you I ll keep complaining and keep watching the show.
I am just pointing an small, tiny thing I donīt like... No problems with the rest of it, the LN are awesome and they have done a good work with the show, but does not mean I have to agree with everything.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 17:55   Link #10
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Issei has some strong points, but honestly, his perversion really makes me dislike him. It overrides everything. I can see where this appeals to some, but not to me. I watch this for Rias, Akeno and Koneko.

As for being in his shoes and being the same way... Just no. I actually have real respect for women and see them as more than sex objects. Issei is one of those characters you always have to worry about turning into a rapist.

I do think the story (as shallow as it tends to be) gets overridden by the fan service. Does it bother me? Not really as I watch this because it's pretty much mindless (and there's not much else anime-wise that interests me this summer). I'm not sure I'll ever truly understand the appeal of cartoon boobies, though, especially when the real thing is so much better.
Old 2013-07-22, 18:06   Link #11
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Erm... peeking on women does not a rapist make. He hasn't done anything physical to the girls that they themselves did not allow, bar one incident in one of the shorts, which was an accident. Certainly he deserves the beatings he gets from his classmates, but a rapist? Seriously?
Old 2013-07-22, 18:15   Link #12
Dr. Casey

I think he just has the tendency to blow characters' faults out of proportion (as evidenced by his completely divorced from reality analysis of Haruyuki from Accel World last year). But yeah, Issei's definitely not the rapist type; he's a thoroughly decent guy, and with Rias as his girlfriend, it's doubtful that he'll be getting sexually frustrated any time soon.
Old 2013-07-22, 18:33   Link #13
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Erm... peeking on women does not a rapist make. He hasn't done anything physical to the girls that they themselves did not allow, bar one incident in one of the shorts, which was an accident. Certainly he deserves the beatings he gets from his classmates, but a rapist? Seriously?
Well, willingly blowing off girls clothes to look at them naked is basically molestation. Ok, maybe he'd be one of those creepy on the subway grabbing girls butts against their will.

Quote:
I think he just has the tendency to blow characters' faults out of proportion (as evidenced by his completely divorced from reality analysis of Haruyuki from Accel World last year). But yeah, Issei's definitely not the rapist type; he's a thoroughly decent guy, and with Rias as his girlfriend, it's doubtful that he'll be getting sexually frustrated any time soon.
Divorced from reality? Love getting flamed when all I'm doing is posting my opinion of something. Please pardon me for seeing things differently than you do. I humbly beg your forgiveness.

But seriously, I just find characters shallow and feel it goes beyond a "fault" when it becomes the character's defining trait.

A good example of a perverted protagonist is the lead from Stony Cat. Yeah, he's a pervert and has ecchi thoughts a lot, but in a much more realistic sense that his perversions are who he is, but just a small part of the whole. Issei is 90% pervert, 10% hero and not really anything else.

Part of it is also the fact that I believe that a guy should be faithful to one girl and not play around with others, which is the antithesis of what Issei wants.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2013-07-22 at 18:48.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 18:38   Link #14
Dr. Casey

He just does that in battles, I think - and only then because making his enemy embarrassed and run away is more peaceful a solution than beating them up.
Old 2013-07-22, 19:03   Link #15
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Well, willingly blowing off girls clothes to look at them naked is basically molestation. Ok, maybe he'd be one of those creepy on the subway grabbing girls butts against their will.
... no. Just... no. If he were the type he'd already have been doing that kind of thing. He came across his Dress Break technique by accident during his magic training with Asia, and it happens to be very damn useful in battle with female opponents. Other than the peeking on the girls, and deciding to see if the technique works after accidentally casting it on two of his classmates, Issei hasn't done anything to turn him into some horrible serial rapist like you're making him out to be.
Old 2013-07-23, 12:34   Link #16
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Oh, come on... You know he's tried to do it. His battle with Irina was all about trying to get her naked. It had less to do with winning than fulfilling his perversion. If he really wanted to win, he could have just used Explosion and blown her away, or continue to boost until he could take her down physically. Instead, he just wanted to see her naked.

Just because he hasn't succeeded yet doesn't make him some good guy who wouldn't do something like that.

I guess this will be something we have to disagree on.
Old 2013-07-23, 12:43   Link #17
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Oh, come on... You know he's tried to do it. His battle with Irina was all about trying to get her naked. It had less to do with winning than fulfilling his perversion. If he really wanted to win, he could have just used Explosion and blown her away, or continue to boost until he could take her down physically. Instead, he just wanted to see her naked.

Just because he hasn't succeeded yet doesn't make him some good guy who wouldn't do something like that.

I guess this will be something we have to disagree on.
I'd like to clear something up here. Ise is a giant perv, who loves to peek at girls and uses fights as excuses to strip them naked. However, he will never be a rapist. Wanna know why? Because this is a gag ero-comedy series. Do not take it seriously. Laugh, groan, or facepalm and move on.
Old 2013-07-25, 10:51   Link #18
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
@backbone seriously first u skip the fanservice that's 90% of the anime and now u complain about the VA stop watching cause those complaints are what make the series what it is.
Let me ask you first. Do the fanservices really make up 90% of this anime? And as far as my intelligence is still standing in regard of this show, the fanservices are mostly distracting me from plot and story, the things i'm seeking the most from this show. And just so you know, i can simply skip/ignore them without losing any importants aspect of the show, so what's the big deal? You make it as if i couldn't enjoy the show without giving rat's ass to the fanservices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
I know I shouldn't start a fight but this is shameful complaining about what makes this anime what it is if u want action fine but trying to skip every fanservice moment means u'll miss half the episode.
*Refer to my lines above*

And why i was complaining about Yuuki Kaji? Cause i'm tired of his irritating voice. simple as that (Do we have VA thread in DxD subforum? Cause if we do, i wanted to bash him to death, of course),

Last edited by backbone; 2013-07-25 at 11:07. Reason: Brrrr . . . . put my english dictionary back
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 09:24   Link #19
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
High School DxD is quite good, but somehow, i don't like it that much because of level of Issei pervertness, it's too much, it feels to me that it sometimes gets in the way of romance, instead of him and the girls going on some dates or something like that Issei only thinks about seeing breasts or when will he have sex with girls. I'm not hating the show, hell no, but the level of his pervertness is too much and getting redundant as of late.

Though on the bright side he doesn't get abused by girls at all like countless harem shows out there, so it's a refreshing breath of air
But aside from that it's really good, and it would be one of best harem/fantasy story out there, only if he were less pervert.
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 04:17   Link #20
Haiprbim
Banned

Boosto!

I find it funny how a meme was created on Issei's Sacred Gear power, which is pervert-focused.

From the perverted trio, Issei has to be the most good-looking, of course.
I would find it funny if he would end up being an Angel. Perverted Devil is being overused.

But yeah, I find him as a pretty bland character.
There are some funny scenes with him, but besides that, he is just an extreme pervert. xD

Heroic scenes don't really cut it as his style.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters