AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-09, 12:47   Link #1261
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I've watched some more M7 snippets and encountered Angel Voice. Like Information High (M+) and Diamond Crevasse (MF), this song struck me emotionally at first listen. To quote Basara (and the whale), it was

wooOOAAOOoh wooOOAAOOoh wooaoh!!!
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 00:28   Link #1262
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

(umm nevermind....I dunno how I missed it twice....ZOMG mew brains are dieing from the fuzz...)
edit

anyway anyone want to give me how this show lines up with the rest of macross?
this is really the first macross I have seen since the US dubs and DYRL.

Last edited by ZippyDSM; 2008-05-10 at 00:32. Reason: zippy is a silly kitty
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 00:39   Link #1263
Wesley84

The first series and sadly Macross 7, which is what'll probably drag Frontier into the abyss.

Last edited by Wesley84; 2008-05-10 at 00:54.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 00:43   Link #1264
ReddyRedWolf

Macross Zero -2008 (Prequel to SDF Macross)

Macross Frontier -2059

edit: My bad

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-05-10 at 01:01.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 00:54   Link #1265
Wesley84

2059 wasn't it?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 07:53   Link #1266
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Macross Zero -2008 (Prequel to SDF Macross)

Macross Frontier -2059

edit: My bad
hey, that picture is missing VF-X2 which featured Captain Ageis focker, 2051
Old 2008-05-12, 07:49   Link #1267
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There's two reasons why you won't see too much reference to Pizza Hut: the first is that the campaign isn't supposed to start until May 12; the second is that the promotion is much like the kind of movie tie-in promotion that you probably see in the UK. As such, there won't necessarily be any actual promotion of the product in the movie or Macross Frontier, but you get nifty related merchandise if you buy certain versions of the product. For example, that's the way the Maria-sama ga Miteru promotion worked, and it ran without there being any new Marimite works at all. While Code Geass did this to an amazingly blatant degree, it shouldn't be expected of any other franchise.
And the reason it was so blatant in Code Geass was because Sunrise decided to push the envelope and write PizzaHut into the story itself. This wasn't a contractile agreement, but an internal decision by Sunrise to treat every requirement like an opportunity. PizzaHut ended up getting far more than what they paid for, but I think everyone won in the end.
Old 2008-05-12, 08:31   Link #1268
Tabris

So, when is the Macross-F, Pizza Hut promotion beginning?

I have a friend in Japan and I might be going next month, but I'd like a little souvenier of it all, so if it's any time soon, I'd ask a friend to save me something
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 09:00   Link #1269
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post

I have a friend in Japan and I might be going next month, but I'd like a little souvenier of it all, so if it's any time soon, I'd ask a friend to save me something
May 12 - that'd be today .
Old 2008-05-12, 09:14   Link #1270
Tabris

Oh wow, awesome.

To facebook I go

Ermmm, what exactly are they doing? Just pizza boxes?
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 09:14   Link #1271
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post

better get your Japanese friend to start munching on those pizzas! so the minute you come over you'll have C.C waiting for you! Or cheese-kun.

But shame we won't see a Pizza hut in Macross.

while TECHNICALLY it's possible, as we can see that popular culture from the countries of Mother Earth are still around (USA, China, Japan etc) Pizza Hut won't be far fetched.

But i suspected they will have stiff competition from the famous NYAN NYAN chain

Old 2008-05-12, 09:39   Link #1272
4Tran

We do know that Sony, Honda, and I think Coca-cola survived, so Pizza Hut wouldn't be all that unusual as well. That said, Nyan Nyan would slaughter them for name recognition.

In other news, apparently there will some giveaways as part of the Pizza Hut promotion. It's some pretty decent stuff, but the chances of winning any seem to be low.
Old 2008-05-20, 22:56   Link #1273
4Tran

From the Episode 7 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
But, as reported above, Golgo 13 is above 4% and it air at the same time of Macross F.
Macross is just losing the "match" with an old (but still serialized) and popular manga (and CG is just doing bad, so it's not a fair comparision... Gundam 00 was around 5,0% for example).
At its heart, Macross Frontier is an otaku show airing at an otaku hour, so a rating of around 2.0% is to be expected. Golgo 13 seems to be doing uncommonly well in the ratings, but that's as much a measure that it's managed to find its audience. Gundam 00's 5.0 is actually a drop from the previous Gundam show, so it's actually a bit of a disappointment for the last of the Doroku shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
I still believe that M.F will perform reasonably better if allocated at a convenient broadcasting time. Afterall it grants better and convenient access for younger still schooling viewers to watch it which at the present, is unlikely to happend. 2:30am broadcasting time? I personally do not have much energy to watch unless its an intensed anime like Golgo13.
Quality and ratings have never been synonymous, so I don't think that that ratings are horribly meaningful to anyone outside of Japan. The only exception to this are primetime shows where the creators would presumably have more freedom to find their own voice for a show if it gets better ratings. However, late-night shows are generally little more than commercials for their DVDs and other assorted merchandise, so they matter rather less.

A better timeslot might have done more to make Macross Frontier more popular with children, but that may also necessitate story changes that'd do more to weaken the overall work. Besides, it seems to be enough of a niche show that I don't think that going for a mass-audience is necessarily a good idea. Code Geass R2's ratings indicate how much of a bad idea this may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
So in all, I still reaffirm that we should base on the DVD sales or its other cash cow milking products to justify its value. Knowing that the OST itself maintains at top 10 for a few weeks is already quite a feat and itself may reveal the degree of popularity it holds.
I don't know if it's really an expression of Frontier's popularity, but good sales make additional Macross works more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
True. The cd singles for this show are doing awesome, Triangler looks like being in the top 10 for the 4th week in a row and Don't Be Late looks like placing in the 3-5 mark for its second week. DVD/BlueRay preorders are very high, the first press for the Frontier OST is sold out already too.

Code Geass and Haruhi had horrible ratings around the 1.5%-2.5% mark like most late night shows do. But they sold around 45k/41k per dvd volume each which placed them as 5th and 6th highest selling shows respectively.
The sales for Frontier seem to be doing very well so far, and I think that a great deal has to do with how successfully the show itself makes the merchandise look good. For example, the presentation of Diamond Crevasse in episode 6 is a blatant ploy to get more people interested in the Don't Be Late single, but it's pulled off so well that I don't know if a complaint about that is even warranted.
Old 2008-05-21, 03:38   Link #1274
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
From the Episode 7 thread:

At its heart, Macross Frontier is an otaku show airing at an otaku hour, so a rating of around 2.0% is to be expected. Golgo 13 seems to be doing uncommonly well in the ratings, but that's as much a measure that it's managed to find its audience. Gundam 00's 5.0 is actually a drop from the previous Gundam show, so it's actually a bit of a disappointment for the last of the Doroku shows.
I was only replying to dissatisfaction comments about Macross share performance. I know very well Macross is not doing bad for that airing time... still his rating are below other TBS/MBS show like xxxHolic and such, because Golgo 13 (a show with, probably, a wider range of audience ).
gundam 00 was meant for a better comparision with Code Geass (same network, almost same timeslot (after doroku suppression)), and yeah, was below past Seed and seed destiny but well above recent doroku's show like Terra e, Ayakashi or Blood+. But at the end still not good enought (and I don't think they are happy about CG performance).
DVD (and merchandise) sells will probably be good as to be expected for series with this kind of promotion (expecially CG), it's not I was impllying they are bombing (I would be quite sad... but only for Macross :P).
And Oricon figure are partial for what I know (Suzumiya Haruhi was around 100k for volume and Gundam seed far above that).

Last edited by Woland; 2008-05-21 at 04:15.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 10:27   Link #1275
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I wonder if they track DVR records. I would imagine not many people stay up that late to watch it live.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 08:36   Link #1276
Delphin

Pizza-hat MacrossF Pizza BOX
ピザハットの新商品「タルタルチキン南蛮」をマクロスFピザボックスで注文

by the way, I found restrun nyan-nyan is Ryn-minmay's uncles multiple store.
you know that ?

and I think Lanka-Lee is hybrid zentradie and Lyn-Minmay.
this conception too wild?

*my english is not good, so I using Translation web service.
plz forgive my strange english.

my web sight
anime-japan
talk about anime japan comic culture
Delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 09:03   Link #1277
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

just wanted to throw this out there

the interactive table is one step closer
http://gizmodo.com/393770/dining-tab...nd-2-trackpads
Old 2008-05-30, 09:20   Link #1278
4Tran

Based on the Amazon Japan video bestsellers list, the preorders of Macross Frontier discs seem to be doing extremely well. What's sort of surprising is that this seems to be the only show where the Blu-ray version is moving much better than the DVD version - Blu-ray Volume 1 about fifty places ahead of DVD Volume 1. I have the sneaking suspicion that much of this increase demand on the Blu-ray is from North American fans; both North America and Japan share the same Blu-ray region, so those discs will work on North American players and PS3s. The alternative is that Japanese fans really want to see the improved quality the Blu-ray represents. Either way, it bodes fairly well for Macross Frontier sales, and if this keeps up, we may see more Macross works fairly quickly (provided that Kawamori is interested in making more, of course ).

What's also sort of amusing is how the Volume 3 jumped up in the rankings as soon as it was available for pre-order - I guess a lot of fans want to watch episode 7 in high definition.
Old 2008-05-30, 09:35   Link #1279
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

ohh!!! i didn't know the japan and the US shared the same region. That makes me really think about getting a ps3
Old 2008-05-30, 10:38   Link #1280
4Tran

Yup. Both Japan and North America are in Region A. There is another major difference between Blu-ray region coding and DVD regions: many legitimate releases of Blu-ray are region-free, so they can be played on any player. I don't know if this is the case for Macross Frontier, but it's quite possible.

Tags
action, romance