AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-02-23, 19:09   Link #81
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

forget it, go somewhere less expensive. I'm surprised you're even thinking you can afford anything with a $1,500 budget. Unless you ship yourself UPS, and live in the box you were packaged in for your days in Japan. I hope you booked a round-trip ticket in that $1,200 you spent, otherwise you're going to have to swim back home
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:19   Link #82
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Beware the price of transportation, I think the ride from Narita airport to your hotel might easily cost you around 100$.
Beside, but that's just personal opinion, I think you've got so much more things to see in Kyoto (splendid temples and gardens) that it's a shame to go to Japan to visit only Tokyo. .
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:39   Link #83
LynnieS

Take a look at the "Visit Japan" thread in General Chat, and there were several on anime-related visits earlier. Do not take a taxi from Narita to Tokyo; it'll run you several hundred dollars, and there goes your budget. Take either the subway or the limo bus instead, with the second costing approx. Y3000 or so.

As for hotel, there are cheaper places that are not listed in expedia.com, but rather in the travel guides like "Time Out", "Frommers" and such. Use one of those for your budget instead will make your budget last longer.

To be totally honest, though, US$1500 will not last you very long, though, but it should be doable provided you don't go crazy.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:55   Link #84
RichMan
????

Yeah, I don't plan on going crazy, besides this isn't real so I can lie a little bit about some prices or just say I looked at the sights and bought very few things.

If I could, I think it'd be cool to visit some japanese video game companies I like, like: Capcom, Konami, Sonic Team, and SquareEnix(just to name a few). I really have no idea if they'd let me in the doors or not, but like I said I "can" lie a alittle and say I talked to the guy that created Rockman(Capcom character) or something.

IRL, i'm not interested at all at seeing any temples, so I'm cool with that.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 22:50   Link #85
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
tokyo is over-westernized. becasue of this, the only difference in tokyo and new york is the language(which is slowly picking up english phrases). if anyone goes, you need to visit a small country town where the culture is still existant.
Old 2004-02-23, 22:53   Link #86
RichMan
????

yeah, like i've been trying to say. I'm not actually visiting Japan, it's just a project for internet class. Read my first post.
Old 2004-02-23, 23:44   Link #87
LynnieS

I have yet to hear of any company, video game or otherwise, offering tours of their facilities to anyone other than prospective job candidates, so dropping in unannounced - or saying that you'll get a tour - might raise a few eyebrows during your presentation. You might be able to get tours of TV studios, though, but not free.

I believe that in the Sony building in the Ginza area, there are displays of games and consoles that you can try out. Can't take them with you, naturally...
Old 2004-02-24, 09:17   Link #88
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Here a retour flight ticket costs around €500,- and then you're at the airport..

then you need food, hotels and random stuff.... so
yeah
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 10:31   Link #89
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
I would visit the holiest of all console gaming shrines, Nintendo headquarters... you might hit the jackpot and meet Shigeru Miyamoto while he's running around making the best games in the world...

ummm... what else can you do?... i've never been to Japan but i would definitely want to visit someday. There are tons of castles and parks that are national landmarks in Japan. Maybe a japanese museum?...
I would also eat the the local cuisine... look for small restaurants... hhmmm sushi...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 00:54   Link #90
RichMan
????

alright, can you guys name exact names of places near the Hilton Narita New Tokyo International Airport. It's really hard getting this kinda info online. Anything that a tourist would see or a person that just likes anime and video gaming would like to see.

Plz help
Old 2004-02-25, 10:10   Link #91
RichMan
????

bump, help me plz
Old 2004-02-25, 10:23   Link #92
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

There is a possibility.

1) Take budget flights instead of direct flights. You see more while paying less.

2) Try to visit places where you have a friend staying so you can save up on hotel fees.

3) Buy a weekly pass for unlimited rides on the rail.

4) Decide a budget and by hook or by crook stay with it.

5) Visit the rural areas, they are about 60 percent cheaper than going to shinjuku areas. Some temples also allow lodging for a pittance. The people are also more friendlier and not always in a rush.
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:49   Link #93
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
alright, can you guys name exact names of places near the Hilton Narita New Tokyo International Airport. It's really hard getting this kinda info online. Anything that a tourist would see or a person that just likes anime and video gaming would like to see.

Plz help
Hmm I actually stayed in a hotel opposite Narita Airport about 3 years ago and dont remember there being a whole lot to see (But then I was Jet lagged and recovering from my stay in Bombay )

I would recommend using this map to plan to move on into central Tokyo:

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/airp...ain/index.html

Catch the Narex into Tokyo (about a 60 min trip). From there you are a short trip to anywhere in the centre of Tokyo, a lot of culture hidden away and lots of anime/manga/game areas of interest.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 14:16   Link #94
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Cherry Blossom season is the best time to visit Japan! My friends say, its the most amazing sight to see.. another must see is Mt. Fuji!!! they also say the hike is breath taking! Don't forget to relax and soak in a onsens! after that long hike.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 19:01   Link #95
RichMan
????

ugh, I didn't get the kinda help I asked for and it's now obvious that the area in Japan I got blows.

I've switched places, I'm doing an easier place for my Powerpoint project. Now I got Honolulu Hawaii(has really no anime/gaming places, but this isn't why I would want to go here anyways. I'll go for the sun, beach, helicopter tours, etc.)
Old 2004-02-26, 02:31   Link #96
Umbrae
Generic Human

I managed a one month stay in japan for apx 2000 US. Yes I am amazing at low cost travel. of course I know people that live in japan, so I only had to stay for 3 nights in a hotell. I ended up at daynice hotell in tokyo. I am not sure about the hilton for narita airport, but narita itself is a long ways from any thing in tokyo.

As far as anime and games go you could just mention going to 500000 video and game stores in shinjuku. Personal on that budge you are going to learn how to aviod spending $. I would not recomend picking up anything, just memories. . . yea that is perty much all I got, and a 2 sets of chopsticks at a ¥99 store.

Most of the $ I had left over from basic airfare, hotel, and food went into travel. I spent several hundered getting arround japan, and I only took a cab once, as town I was in at the time had not other options to get from the train station to my friends place.

If you want to keep to that budget and be some what realistic, I would simply talk about the places you walked arround at, and what you saw, who you talked to. be sure to talk about the 5 japanese girls you met that were going out to a rave, but ended up back at your hotell room for all 3 days (Hey if you are making it all up, might as well make it good)
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 07:34   Link #97
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan

Plz help
There aren't any that I can think of near Narita, but had you stayed with Tokyo as the topic, I simply would have recommended that you change your hotel to somewhere closer to the center of the city (at least within the JR Yamanote loop) and walk to the placed mentioned here and within the other threads on vacationing in Japan.

As for directions, there aren't very many - that I've found - street signs in the city. The streets are rather confusing, and unless you have the direction instincts of a homing pigeon ( ), you're better off getting a guidebook (or more than one!) and work from it.

The fact that building addresses are not assigned in sequential order doesn't help much either...
Old 2004-06-16, 09:07   Link #98
aurora704

advice on gifts for a japanese host family

hi. i am leaving for a 2 week exhange program in japan tomorrow. i ended up getting my host mother 2 Bath and Body Works body washes by accident. would body wash be offensive? because i don't wan't to imply that she is a smelly person or anything.
do i have to gift wrap the presents, or can i leave them in gift bags or something?
and also, what would be the phrase to say when i am giving them their gifts?

oh yes, how do i say something along the lines of "i am really excited (to meet you)" and also "i'm nervous."

if you have any other suggestions, please give them!
aurora704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 10:55   Link #99
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora704
hi. i am leaving for a 2 week exhange program in japan tomorrow. i ended up getting my host mother 2 Bath and Body Works body washes by accident. would body wash be offensive? because i don't wan't to imply that she is a smelly person or anything.
do i have to gift wrap the presents, or can i leave them in gift bags or something?
and also, what would be the phrase to say when i am giving them their gifts?

oh yes, how do i say something along the lines of "i am really excited (to meet you)" and also "i'm nervous."

if you have any other suggestions, please give them!
*faintly recalls what they said to bring in Japanese class*

Umm, I think you should get them something they could not easily find over in Japan. If someone from Japan was coming to stay with you, wouldn't you be more excited over them bringing manga, anime, Pocky, etc. over an English novel or something?

I do think you should gift wrap it, but I"m not sure. My memory about Japanese gift-exchange is hazy. As for your translations, I'm honestly not entirely too sure but "Tokidoki desu." might fit the bill for both. (tokidoki is the Japanese onamonopeia for fast-paced heart beating). Get a second opinion on that one though, because I'm sure there's a more appropriate prhase that I'm unaware of.

Enjoy your stay in Japan you lucky dog!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 11:24   Link #100
Sakai
libro de mi padre

Quote:
would body wash be offensive?
I think it's okay.

Quote:
As you wish.

Quote:
what would be the phrase to say when i am giving them their gifts?
"Tsumaranai mono desuga, douzo."
means "I have a small present for you."
It literally means "It’s a trivial thing, but please accept."

Quote:
"i am really excited (to meet you)"
"Hajime mashite, oai dekite ureshii desu."

"Hajime mashite" means "Nice to meet you."
It literally means "This is the first time (to meet you)."

"Oai dekite ureshii desu" means "I am glad to meet you."

...and more

Quote:
"i'm nervous."
"(Totemo/Sugoku) kinchou shite imasu."
'Totemo/Sugoku' means 'so' or 'very'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
(tokidoki is the Japanese onamonopeia for fast-paced heart beating).
It is 'Doki-Doki'.
'Tokidoki' is 'sometimes'.
ex. Doki-doki shite imasu. (I am excited)

Anyway, good luck, aurora704!
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel