AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sora Kake

Notices

Old 2008-12-13, 08:14   Link #61
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

It's a decent watch if you remove the final ep, though.

I won't rule out this show yet. From the first look you can tell pretty easily that this one will contain lot of fanservice in the shapes of girl and mecha, so why not lower our standard a little and enjoy it?
Old 2008-12-13, 08:24   Link #62
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Sometimes I wish they'd produce another 20th century styled Sunrise anime and scare all those 'Sunrise experts'.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 09:17   Link #63
astranagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's like the Nirvash TypeZERO crossed with the Arche Gundam crossed with a hornet. More bizzare then stupid I find.
I think it's more similar to Kagatsuchi.
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 10:08   Link #64
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yes yes Sunrise is satan incarnate and Slice of Life is teh autowin and all that jazz, but since when was Mai-Hime not synonmous with mainstream as well? Oh right, I forgot, it's cool to like Mai-Hime so that cancels out it's vile mainstream status. My bad

Seriously, I love it when people pick and choose their likes and dislikes with seemingly careful scrutiny, yet still manage to generalize something in the process. If there's anything quite as phony I have yet to see it. "Mainstream=crap, unless it doesn't in which case it's fine, but as long as it doesn't have x in it, but if it has y then it's better than alright, but not if you has a little bit of z". Lol....

In my case I'll be perfectly blunt though, this whole period leading up to this franchise's debut has been a series of peaks and valleys as far as my interest in it and expectations go. On the one hand there's more then enough series of the type I like to call galfests out there, so it doesn't come across as fresh, but on the other hand I find the mecha and character design to be on the interesting side and still feel the series portrays some potential. I guess I have little choice to actually watch it and find out which is the truth and I'm sure everyone else who will be commentating blogwise will be giving it their single episode before they give one of the broad labels of crap or good (the only two labels their seem to be anymore) and then proceed to judge the entire remainder of the series based off of those intial impressions, without regard for whether they are still relevant of course. We wouldn't want this show to actually have a fair shot being the "mainstream crap Sunrise series" of the season after all would we now?

I just knew you were going to reply to that. Sure Mai-HiME is mainstream. I don't think it's crap and the Sunrise series I regard as crap I have watched to the bitter end, so I feel quite entitled to call them whatever I damn like. If that will make you happy, I think KyoAni is over worse offender in the mainstream category and that's without ever watching one of their series to the end except for Fumoffu. Now, that's opinion I would expect to be called upon for good reason.
I didn't say mainstream=crap, it's just that that all of Sunrise's popular (read mainstream)series in the last years that I have watched were rather terrible in my opinion. Not simply because they were popular as you seem to be implying.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 13:14   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I just knew you were going to reply to that. Sure Mai-HiME is mainstream. I don't think it's crap and the Sunrise series I regard as crap I have watched to the bitter end, so I feel quite entitled to call them whatever I damn like. If that will make you happy, I think KyoAni is over worse offender in the mainstream category and that's without ever watching one of their series to the end except for Fumoffu. Now, that's opinion I would expect to be called upon for good reason.
I didn't say mainstream=crap, it's just that that all of Sunrise's popular (read mainstream)series in the last years that I have watched were rather terrible in my opinion. Not simply because they were popular as you seem to be implying.
I'm curious, what is your definition of mainstream?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 14:14   Link #66
Matrim

Mainstream - belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.. You aren't going to argue that Gundam SEED Destiny or Code geass is not mainstream (among anime series, not TV shows in generla, of course), are you?

Old 2008-12-14, 16:33   Link #67
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I just knew you were going to reply to that. Sure Mai-HiME is mainstream. I don't think it's crap and the Sunrise series I regard as crap I have watched to the bitter end, so I feel quite entitled to call them whatever I damn like.
In the case of Mai-Hime (and not Otome), as well as Xenoglossia, I am inclined to agree, despite their appeal is for mainstream audiences, they had something to offer compared to their run-of-mill mecha shows (i.e. Code Geass, Gundam, etc.)

As for this one, except for lolis and fun-service, which are certain, whether it is worth your time, you'll have to watch it first and certainly not judge from the studio's recent works.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-14, 19:42   Link #68
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
So does that mean Yuuka-chan is active again? If yes, §%$(/)%"ing awesome.
Well, I'll watch this anyway, it's Sunrise, lots of cute girls etc. ..the seiyuu are just icing on the cake.

Yukana's character has already captured my heart. Takane-sannn..
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 01:51   Link #69
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo_Maxwell
I won't rule out this show yet. From the first look you can tell pretty easily that this one will contain lot of fanservice in the shapes of girl and mecha, so why not lower our standard a little and enjoy it?
Why of course, I mean I'm going to be watching Queen's Blade and that shapes up being one of the biggest trainwreck of a series since... well I better not say it in this thread!

Quote:
You aren't going to argue that Gundam SEED Destiny or Code geass is not mainstream (among anime series, not TV shows in generla, of course), are you?
Didn't you know that them being hated on by AS and the blogging world made them underground?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 00:51   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why of course, I mean I'm going to be watching Queen's Blade and that shapes up being one of the biggest trainwreck of a series since... well I better not say it in this thread!

Didn't you know that them being hated on by AS and the blogging world made them underground?
Wait........what? And don't even start with that trainwreck garbage here please. Nobody....okay fine, I (anybody remember "I"? I as in Individual) don't give a crap about what a bunch of whiny 4channers and bloggers who think they have life all figured out have to say in their grand scheme to become one giant collective of groupthinkers. I'm just tired of having to hear the same old, tired and frankly painfully uninspired crap courtesy of their meme factories in the same way I'm tired of seeing shallow and materialistic Christmas commercials (I'm looking at you Coca-Cola) that go to great lengths to portray themselves as deep and insightful, sometimes witty family values messages whilst simultaneously being little more than self-serving semi-subliminal advertisements for the companies own products. I have other choice thoughts about the "holiday season" I'd just love to share, but let's get back to the topic here shall we?

Groupthinkers....no...cultures who rarely have anything to add to a conversation that isn't just an assorted collection of the latest internet memes are no better, no more desirable to me, then the hipsters you can find at your local mall buying into every new corporately manufactured trend without regard for how little it's actually going to change who they are or their actual self worth. So stop importing that culture please. And yes it is a culture like any other, no matter how much they think the anonymous thing gives them a sense of individuality.

Alas, sometimes I have to be harsh in making a point, yet I will say this, it's very much possible to run againt the mainstream without having to resort to adopting the beliefs of a counter-culture whose tendencies are just as predictable and braindraining as your average popular cultures. Culture, counter-culture, mainstream, it's all the same to me, you're still sacrificing your independent thought in order to fit in with a crowd and it's still herd behaviour, whether you are the type that professes to like only Shounen, Mecha, Fantasy and explosions, or the type that only likes Slice of Life, Romance and "Realism". So in the end why, why not just be oneself with their own set of self-coined terms, expectations in life and beliefs and ideas to call ones own? That's the philosophy I subscribe too, right down to when I refuse to select from a choice of pre-specified classes in Oblivion and choose to create my own custom class.

That was what I was planning on getting to with my question, and I hope we're all on the same page now. So if people don't mind, I will choose to subscribe to those immortal words of Fleetwood Mac and go my own way, even if I have to call it another lonely day. One month to the debut of this series, and then we can all judge it, not before. Deal?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-12-16 at 01:41.
Old 2008-12-16, 07:36   Link #71
Matrim

So you claim you don't give a crap yet whenever someone says anything bad about Sunrise you are always there to refute them? How does that work?

Quote:
Culture, counter-culture, mainstream, it's all the same to me, you're still sacrificing your independent thought in order to fit in with a crowd and it's still herd behaviour, whether you are the type that professes to like only Shounen, Mecha, Fantasy and explosions, or the type that only likes Slice of Life, Romance and "Realism".
Fit in with a crowd? You are aware that due to popular shows having lots of fans (and bloggers ) one could always be accused of fitting in with a crowd, never mind if they are vocal about loving the show, vocal about hating it or not saying anything at all about it and just watching it? But surely this herd behaviour matches a lot more the behaviour of fans than of haters? For one thing, the haters are usually a lot fewer and for the other by virtue of being so much anti establishment as you claim they are bound to disagree even with each other about why a certain show is a trainwreck, aren't they?
Seriously, call me crazy but I still think most people who bitch about some movie or book or game do it because they quite frankly didn't like it. Not because it's cool or their peers told them to do so. And of course who bitch over the internet are a very small percentage of the number who would bitch if they had to give an opinion but just don't want to waste their time that way. Or think forums and blogs are inventions of the devil.

Old 2008-12-16, 17:16   Link #72
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
So you claim you don't give a crap yet whenever someone says anything bad about Sunrise you are always there to refute them? How does that work?

Fit in with a crowd? You are aware that due to popular shows having lots of fans (and bloggers ) one could always be accused of fitting in with a crowd, never mind if they are vocal about loving the show, vocal about hating it or not saying anything at all about it and just watching it? But surely this herd behaviour matches a lot more the behaviour of fans than of haters? For one thing, the haters are usually a lot fewer and for the other by virtue of being so much anti establishment as you claim they are bound to disagree even with each other about why a certain show is a trainwreck, aren't they?
Seriously, call me crazy but I still think most people who bitch about some movie or book or game do it because they quite frankly didn't like it. Not because it's cool or their peers told them to do so. And of course who bitch over the internet are a very small percentage of the number who would bitch if they had to give an opinion but just don't want to waste their time that way. Or think forums and blogs are inventions of the devil.
First of all stop winking at me, it's disturbing, second of all who is refuting who here? Third of all you believe whatever you want to believe about it being hip to be counter-culture versus mainstream and see where it gets you. we'll compare notes afterward or something. After all, ignorance is bliss is as they say.
Old 2008-12-16, 17:57   Link #73
Matrim

Sorry for the smilies overload.

Oh, well, if you want to believe that people dislike Gundam SEED Destiny et al just because it is hip to do so, please do. Just don't claim this conjecture is an axiom, please.

P.S. Giving me negative reputation for my initial post did give me a good laugh, though. Should I feel obliged to do the same if you happen to have a negative opinion about a studio that I like?

Old 2008-12-16, 19:05   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for the smilies overload.

Oh, well, if you want to believe that people dislike Gundam SEED Destiny et al just because it is hip to do so, please do. Just don't claim this conjecture is an axiom, please.

P.S. Giving me negative reputation for my initial post did give me a good laugh, though. Should I feel obliged to do the same if you happen to have a negative opinion about a studio that I like?
Well you'd be striking back at a person that had nothing to do with it, so it's up to you.
Old 2008-12-16, 22:08   Link #75
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why did AS hides the people's name who give reputation to other. I believe there are several times someone just try to add fuel into the flame by pretending to be the one who have different opinion from me and neg rep me.
Old 2008-12-16, 22:14   Link #76
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sometimes I wonder why did AS hides the people's name who give reputation to other. I believe there are several times someone just try to add fuel into the flame by pretending to be the one who have different opinion from me and neg rep me.
We have to start asking mods for this conspiracy. Happened in Clannad forums for me.

Then there was a case of a bunch of Ranka fans getting anon neg rep just for saying they're Ranka fans.

Anyway its amazing how much criticism a show can get before airing.

Any mecha show is an instant win for SRW fans, from Sunrise means it has decent chance of getting into SRW. And if it gets into SRW, it will be fixed no matter how bad it can get.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 23:28   Link #77
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Actually, I'm really curious about the show that's too bad that it can't be fixed even in SRW. Wonder will we see one in the future.
Old 2008-12-17, 00:00   Link #78
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
We have to start asking mods for this conspiracy. Happened in Clannad forums for me.

Then there was a case of a bunch of Ranka fans getting anon neg rep just for saying they're Ranka fans.

Anyway its amazing how much criticism a show can get before airing.

Any mecha show is an instant win for SRW fans, from Sunrise means it has decent chance of getting into SRW. And if it gets into SRW, it will be fixed no matter how bad it can get.
It hasn't really garnered that much criticism so much as a general apprehension. I think for the people that are honest and not just trolling that it's just a general weariness of the Mai-Hime type property. We've seen this type of show before many many times and we know that Sunrise is capable of a lot more than what Sora Kake Girl appears to be, so in this case, for me at least, I almost view it as a step back from the direction they were heading in.

It's kind of the same deal with what happened with Kyoani where they stepped back from the direction they were headed in towards really making something of themselves in terms of series with variety in themes in order to cater to the moe market and release Key adapation after Otaku pandering Kadokawa adaptation. Sora Kake Girl looks like the same thing at first glance. A moe oriented otaku pander with good looking character designs, but nothing that indicates any sort of substance from what we've seen so far of the trailers and Newtype features. And this following up on the success of Code Geass and other recent properties of theirs......it catches one off guard and makes one more than a little unsure of what to expect. Like it's an attempt to coast or something.

In a rare case of seeing eye to eye with the companie's critics (mostly because what they are saying actually makes sense within the context of logic and reality for a change) I actually have to agree a little, from what we've seen (so far) the show looks like the type to be watched for the fancy animation and moe girls and not for any sort of depth of character or plot. We could be proven wrong of course, but there's really been nothing to give us any reason to believe it's going to be a heavy hitter or a standout. How unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I've asked this question and the reason I've been given is that it's to prevent negative rep wars from springing up.
Old 2008-12-17, 04:16   Link #79
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
About mainstream, indie, counter-culture, whatever, Sunrise is about as mainstream as any can get. Thinking otherwise because of the bad publicity it gets in a part of the blogsphere is just plain ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Sometimes I wish they'd produce another 20th century styled Sunrise anime and scare all those 'Sunrise experts'.
Something like City Hunter? Sure, I'd be in.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 05:16   Link #80
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
About mainstream, indie, counter-culture, whatever, Sunrise is about as mainstream as any can get. Thinking otherwise because of the bad publicity it gets in a part of the blogsphere is just plain ridiculous.
Yeah it's like saying Kobe Byrant is underrated because lots of people hate him... sadly people do think that way and are 100% serious

Really I don't know how anyone can convince themselves R2 is hated on the internet when it constantly got mostly 10's even for average episodes and is top ten on ratings databases for ANN, MAL and anidb but hey people can convince themselves of anything.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoujo, shoujou, shounen, sunrise