Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-21, 13:02   Link #17781
AnimeFan188

‘Pizza’ Party Codeword May Have Doomed CIA Spies

"Hezbollah may have just rolled up the CIA’s network of spies devoted to
cracking the secrets of the Lebanese Shiite extremist group. If so, it’s because of
one of the stupidest, least secure code words in history."

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pizza-cia/
Old 2011-11-21, 15:19   Link #17782
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

A chocolate in any other color wouldn’t taste as sweet, the British confectioner says.
The chocolatier, which started swathing its chocolate bars in royal purple wrappers over 100 years ago to honor Queen Victoria, has fought off a challenge from rival Nestlé, which claimed Cadbury should never have been able to trademark the color back in 2008.
The registrar at the UK Intellectual Property Office disagreed, saying the particular shade of purple – pantone 2865c – had a sufficiently “distinctive character” to warrant the trademark.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/21/...-color-purple/

Tech companies aren't the only Patent Trolls out there now. Anyone know how i can go about patenting the color green?
Old 2011-11-21, 15:52   Link #17783
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'd trade marking red, white, and red and white right now. Fork over the cash, Santa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Hezbollah may have just rolled up the CIA’s network of spies devoted to
cracking the secrets of the Lebanese Shiite extremist group. If so, it’s because of
one of the stupidest, least secure code words in history."

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pizza-cia/
For their next move, they'll use the codeword "Mosque", and see if they can get the Hezbollah to kill each other.
Old 2011-11-21, 16:12   Link #17784
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
A chocolate in any other color wouldn’t taste as sweet, the British confectioner says.
The chocolatier, which started swathing its chocolate bars in royal purple wrappers over 100 years ago to honor Queen Victoria, has fought off a challenge from rival Nestlé, which claimed Cadbury should never have been able to trademark the color back in 2008.
The registrar at the UK Intellectual Property Office disagreed, saying the particular shade of purple – pantone 2865c – had a sufficiently “distinctive character” to warrant the trademark.

Tech companies aren't the only Patent Trolls out there now. Anyone know how i can go about patenting the color green?

Dilbert on Patents/Trademarks:

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-12-30/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-04-15/

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-09-09/

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-10-18/
Old 2011-11-21, 16:36   Link #17785
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Cadbury's purple is a pretty distinct thing though. In Britain and Ireland that colour has become synonymous with that chocolate brand. I think it's legit. I don't think the trademark on the colour should extend outside chocolate and other confectionaries though.

For instance I'd say you could legally market a detergent with such a colour.
Old 2011-11-21, 16:48   Link #17786
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Cadbury's purple is a pretty distinct thing though. In Britain and Ireland that colour has become synonymous with that chocolate brand. I think it's legit. I don't think the trademark on the colour should extend outside chocolate and other confectionaries though.

For instance I'd say you could legally market a detergent with such a colour.
i don't know, that bright Red-Orange that Tide uses is pretty distinctive for Tide brand products.
Old 2011-11-21, 17:40   Link #17787
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

You might be abble to patent a precise shade of green but probably not a whole color.
Old 2011-11-21, 17:48   Link #17788
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More likely just a copyright of a packaging style. That it happen to be an unusual shade of a color is why it works in this case. Most companies us more normal colors, depending on how they wish to attact consumers to their product in the store.
Old 2011-11-21, 21:08   Link #17789
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

The Seattle Mariners just lost a player.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...tml?tid=pm_pop

I've heard about how the Japanese follow the Mariners since a lot of their players ended up there. I guess this might also be big news in Japan then.
Old 2011-11-21, 21:54   Link #17790
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Congressional Budget "Super Committee" fails to reach an agreement on time; pre-defined cuts take effect

Not overly surprising, but really - do these guys not understand negotiation and diplomacy? Sure wish I could have a job where I just trumpeted my beliefs all day and refused to give in to what anyone else wanted...
Old 2011-11-22, 00:34   Link #17791
solomon

It's just that the parties are far too extreme based.

I think it's worse for republicans frankly. There are moderate democrats. You can't be a moderate republican and be in congress these days.

Still either way, I honestly don't care cause even if I did, what good will it do.

The entire system needs to be restructured.
Old 2011-11-22, 06:51   Link #17792
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama pushes payroll tax cut after debt panel fails
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AJ0KE20111122
Old 2011-11-22, 12:08   Link #17793
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

The now infamous Lt. John Pike is getting a taste of what he deserves.

Pepper spray cop is now immortal with a total new viral meme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired.com
Clever Photoshop artists have turned the image of a police officer pepper-spraying Occupy Wall Street protesters into a fast-spreading internet meme.

Soon after Lt. John Pike was videotaped and photographed pepper-spraying protesters Friday on the University of California at Davis campus, the video of the confrontation went viral and a photo of the incident went up on reddit.
Article from Wired.com here.

So there's no such thing as bad publicity? You might ask that police lieutenant. UC Davis police lieutenant John Pike, that is. Say hello to him the next time you see him at the unemployment office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffington post
When UC Davis Police Lt. John Pike casually and ruthlessly sprayed an entire can of pepper spray onto a line of peaceful Occupy protesters, a firestorm of retribution began. He was quickly suspended, UC President Mark Yudof claimed he was "appalled" by the incident and an investigation was launched immediately. But the worst has only just begun.

Lieutenant Pike, welcome to your total destruction on the Internet. Bring on the memes.

Thanks to tech-savvy satirists, Pike-pepperd gifs are already sprayed across the Internet. Googlers can find his phone number with one search. And like BP and Nick Nolte before him, Lt. Pike has now inspired a fake Twitter account titled the Pepper Spraying Cop. ("I thought it was Silly String. Swear to God.")

But our favorite homage is the rapidly increasing collection of Pike-themed memes. Guernica Pike? Check. Baby seal pup-spraying Pike? Got it. Team Jacob Pike? Immortality is thine.

Prepare yourself, Lt. Pike. Though protesters sometimes grow weary, the Internet really never does forget.
Full article at huffington post here.

They have a slide show at that second link too. Boy, is he getting what he deserves.
Old 2011-11-22, 14:34   Link #17794
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Two women who claim they were molested by a fugitive paedophile fear their alleged abuser will escape justice thanks to human rights laws.

Cousins Jessica Schaefer and Sheena Perry say that Shawn Sullivan, 42, sexually assaulted them when they were just 11 - and have waived their right to anonymity to demand that he be deported to the U.S.

Sullivan has been wanted in his American homeland since fleeing in 1994 when he was accused of raping a 14-year-old girl as well as the two cousins.
When he came to the UK he was arrested after his name appeared on a most wanted list.

It was while in a British jail that he married a civil servant from the Ministry of Justice - and he could now claim that his right to a family life should stop him being extradited, according to the Sun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-Britain.html

Someone form the other side of the Atlantic want to explain how the Human Rights Act works?
Old 2011-11-22, 14:45   Link #17795
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Someone form the other side of the Atlantic want to explain how the Human Rights Act works?
Sounds to me that's it's more the Daily Mail being the Daily Mail. I think the US and UK have some pretty airtight extradition treaties.
Old 2011-11-22, 15:15   Link #17796
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Rape is an act of liberal expression - Delusional human rights extremist

..?

*pukes*
Old 2011-11-22, 16:39   Link #17797
Kyuu
=^^=

Now, this is a very loyal dog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-15825892

Just thinking about this story is... kinda teary. Thankfully, neighbors support the dog.
Old 2011-11-22, 16:56   Link #17798
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Sounds to me that's it's more the Daily Mail being the Daily Mail. I think the US and UK have some pretty airtight extradition treaties.
More likely so.
I fail to ee the link betweem civil right and his ''reason'' .
Old 2011-11-22, 18:11   Link #17799
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey.

Anne McCaffrey, 1926 – 2011

Some of my very first books that I bought with my own money were written by her.
Old 2011-11-22, 18:12   Link #17800
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey.

Anne McCaffrey, 1926 – 2011

Some of my very first books that I bought with my own money were written by her.
arh dang it.

some of my very first scifi books were her pern books.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international