AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-02-09, 22:03   Link #1
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Anime and your life

I thought that was something fun to bring up. We always hear people say things like "Oh, I've read this book and it changed my life." or "Since I've seen this movie when I was young, I've had a totally different outlook on life." What about anime?

Almost everyone in this forum is a big anime fan.. And we can't hide it; anime already plays a big part in our lives, undirectly or directly. That's why I thought it was interesting to ask.. Has watching anime changed your life at all? Anime in general, and maybe a specific anime...

For myself.. I think it changed my life a lot. Without getting too much into the details.. I think that anime made me understand a lot of things about myself because I could relate to it so much ... As stupid as it sounds, it made me realize who I truly was. ^^; Aside from that.. I think anime has sort of.. prepared me all my life to certain things and it made me less scared of certain other things too... Like relationships..

What about you guys?
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:57   Link #2
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
Almost everyone in this forum is a big anime fan.. And we can't hide it; anime already plays a big part in our lives, undirectly or directly. That's why I thought it was interesting to ask.. Has watching anime changed your life at all? Anime in general, and maybe a specific anime...
Hmm... it's a good question. I'd definitely say that anime has had an impact on me. It certainly can be a very nice distraction from the stresses of every day life. To me anime is much like the way reading a good book is to some people: it captures my imagination with characters I can relate to (and sometimes can't!) and stories I want to follow to the end. Sometimes it makes me think, sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes it makes me cry, but I always leave satisfied in the end. That what good stories do. (I've yet to see an anime that I just plainly haven't liked at all. Perhaps it's because I'm not too adventurous or experienced - I've only seen maybe 10-15 full series so far - but I always find some things to like in every anime I watch.)

More than just the anime itself, though, I think that discussing it here on these boards is good too. If you take the time to reflect and discuss what you're watching with other people of similar interest, it becomes more than just a solitary experience, which is good. Certainly I've really enjoyed the discussions I've participated in on these forums, especially some rather lengthy ones about Da Capo and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, as well as others. It's a good experience to discuss your experiences with people, and try to see things from other points of view. So, yeah, anime has had an impact on my life, but so has my times spent on these forums over the last few months too. It's been a good experience.

Edit: You know, I was just thinking a bit more about this. I wanted to add that, yes, reflecting and discussing about my anime experiences has made me realize things about myself as well. It's helped me discover/describe certain traits in my personality, it's helped me see things in myself that I don't like so much, and it's helped me also discover that there are many other people out there who feel/think/believe the same way I do about a variety of things. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily the anime itself that does that, but it's reflecting on it and discussing it that helps the most in that regard. Sometimes life can get too busy that we don't stop and take the time to think - a good anime, like any good story, helps us put our minds in other situations and, in the process, helps us look back on ourselves.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:58   Link #3
supersailormoon

I can total agree. I think I can relate to anime more any other kind of f tv and movies. Also it have tought me that this who I am .
supersailormoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 11:45   Link #4
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Yeah, I see what you mean ... In my daily life, anime helped me a lot too. Specially when I was in middle school and had a really hard time.. It was like a world I could escape to. A lot of people would think it's unhealthy.. But I don't care. I think it helped me a lot.. And it still helps me that way. When I feel worried about some things.. I watch anime and I usually forget what I'm worried about because I enter another world..
Old 2004-02-10, 12:28   Link #5
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Note: renamed the thread with a more relevant title (was: Anime and your life).
Old 2004-02-10, 12:31   Link #6
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Hmmm. Im actually very happy that you brought up this question. To me, anime is part of my life… Watching anime really give’s me a different way on viewing life. I totally do not take life for granted now, and a realashionship to me, is one of the most precious things for me in the whole world now. Before I used to be really different, but anime has toched me in a way that will for defintinte impacted my life in a GREAT and POSITIVE WAY. I love anime, and the more I see, the more it makes me happy. To actually finish a sireis is yet happy, and sad for me, but to learn from it all, is yet another great treasure that I hold dear to me… J
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 14:04   Link #7
Hisoka44

As i need to post at least 1 post that is not a flame or so i would say on the topic that Grave of the Fireflies touched me deeply and sort of changed my live. The only movie i have seen that really displays the sadness and reality of war.
Hisoka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 14:36   Link #8
Amy
Fantasy...

Send a message via MSN to Amy
I'd say anime definately changed me and my life, it just made me think about certain things more, I can really relate to certain anime characters which makes me realise things about myself too. It's also, as said before, a world for me to escape to too. I love anime. ^^
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 16:19   Link #9
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
It's also, as said before, a world for me to escape to too. I love anime. ^^

Ahh,,,, so u too... Now i know anime is a place where you can escape reality, into a very nice and peacefull world, but you have to be conciderit that you are acually living in a acually world, with responisbilitys. I sometimes get sooooo sucked into anime that i usally forget that i have a life, and i have to do things.. You really have to be careful this kind of stuff from happining to you. just fyi... i had to learn it the hard way...
Old 2004-02-10, 16:22   Link #10
Thelastguardian

its in human nature to incorporate what they experience to their mind, regradless if its intentional or accidental.
Old 2004-02-10, 16:26   Link #11
xxziggybitsxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
its in human nature to incorporate what they experience to their mind, regradless if its intentional or accidental.

so is it the anime artist trying to say something to the viwers???
Old 2004-02-10, 16:31   Link #12
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxziggybitsxx
so is it the anime artist trying to say something to the viwers???
In other word, all of us would f***ing die if we cant 'live and learn' from life
Old 2004-02-10, 16:33   Link #13
xxziggybitsxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
In other word, all of us would f***ing die if we cant 'live and learn' from life

LOL "here here" THAT IS SOOO TRUE... that s why you got to be careful that you dont get sucked in... hehehehehehe

"THE LAST GUARDIAN.... YOU ROCk "
Old 2004-02-10, 23:00   Link #14
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

I think that in a lot of anime series, the artists try to pass some messages... But what I like about anime compared to some American movies is that the anime artists don't seem to be pushing their opinion down the viewer's throat so much.. So it's all up to the viewer. They aren't forced to think anything..

But I don't think that anime influenced me in that manner. It was mainly because of the positive atmosphere that a lot of anime had... I mean, in a lot of anime series, there's a cast of characters who aren't always conform to what society expects of them.. And they're all completely different, yet they manage to be happy together.. I guess anime made me accept partly who I was because of that.. ^^; Also.. That same positive atmosphere gave me hope.
Old 2004-06-30, 06:20   Link #15
Bvgquack

In the solemn search for Inspirational Anime..

So throughout the years, I've shed tears from sad anime; laughed my arse off at comedic anime; and shared the "moments" with the romance part of the deal.

But amist all those countless animes I've watched and treasured, I find the rarest and most valuable of all gems to be those inspirational type of anime. Somethin' that can strike you and motivate you to hold a basketball for the first time in life; somethin' that can make you study Go strategy for night after night when you don't even know what your text book look like; Somethin' that can.... well, you get the pic ^_~

I find most of the "inspirational" anime to be sports-related. Like:
Slam Dunk (for its display of character's sheer persistence and passion)
Hajime No Inppo
Hikaru No Go (tell me you don't like Go now ^^)

But some other titles such as: Naruto (little boy against the whole world theme), Golden Boy (Study, study, study~~) , etc.

If you ever encountered any anime that changed or shaped your life in any faintest of way, please share here. Now if you will excuse me, I've got a Go game to finish....
Bvgquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 07:14   Link #16
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Well depending on your definition of inspirational the answer could vary so differently from person to person...

For me, I got some emotional growth out of watching a lot of different animes. Almost every anime I watch takes a story that uses the character emotionally growing up, by accepting their faults and weaknesses, allowing others to help when it is needed, taking a look at life with humility...all of these things and more are what I've found in watching the anime that I have watched.

For example, KGNE and SaiKano each have the ability to show how a person can relate to love in many dire situations. SaiKano also has the inspiration that shows love can live through anything if you are willing to accept each other. Also shows that life is in the eye of the beholder, just because you personally don't feel alive doesn't mean that someone else feels the same way about you. Chise's battle with her own humanity and Shuuji's struggle to keep her 'alive'.

KGNE shows that life isn't always about making the right decisions, but that life has decisions that result in consequences and it's your actions that will determine the type of person you are. The story also shows the strength of one's character in willingness to accept other's in to help you in times of need, and also the struggles of personal acceptance in the wrongs you have done. Then there's also the struggle in knowing one's inner-strength and the distances you must go to achieve it, even if it does hurt another.

Then you have titles like Chrno Crusade or even Love Hina...these show that determination defines the type of person you are. That sometimes, even at the cost of your own well-being, that you must follow through on your dreams. Stand up for what you feel is right, don't shy away those who don't believe the same way, and don't belittle the ones whom you feel are incorrect.

Anime as a whole has changed and shaped my life in allowing me to look at life in another way. Giving me more reason not to take what I have for granted, for tomorrow it might all change and be gone.
Old 2004-06-30, 07:44   Link #17
Bvgquack

Wow.....I find it very refreshin' to know there are people like me ^^. And you've got a point, every anime can be considered inspirational when taken at different consideration.

So allowed me to make this thread a bid more concrete.

What anime Character INSPIRED you to do somethin' or just be a better person all together? The partial point of this question is to promote the anime itself, so people like dear moi can go fetch it right away ^_~

My first man, hands down is Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm simply in love with this man for the tough image he portrays durin' most of his hopeless (?)fights.

Memorable scene:
In the Dark Tournament when he was exaggerately-beaten, and cheated repeitively, he still managed to walk up the ring and said, "We're not gonna play like them. We're gonna do this....like a man." I was like O.o
Old 2004-06-30, 07:46   Link #18
Bvgquack

Oops, they joint the threads together, heh ^^
Old 2004-06-30, 08:34   Link #19
wao
OK.

Well, I was in a really, really pouty and cold-ice-queen-ish sort of mood before... I always looked angry, thought nothing of gentle behaviour and kind words. But somehow, after watching Princess Tutu I didn't realise it but I started being more patient and gentle and went back to being more honest and open, but not overly so... It also opened up the real meaning of writing stories and expression of human creativity. A great musical inspiration as well, definitely. And also learning to deal with your fate and not trying to change everything that happens because even though it may seem good to you at first, it can come back with hidden repercussions... And that despite this fate you do not need to have gloom and doom written all over your face, and still hold a heartwarming personality.

The first anime I watched as anime (this is excluding Pokemon and Akazukin Cha Cha.) was Rurouni Kenshin, and that had a very very deep impact on me.

I believe it was really teh beginning from where I started considering the impacts and behaviour of people better. I really thought hard about a TV show for the first time (There is a basis in the phrase "mindless tv entertainment" - most of the time we are not being critical thinkers.) - I thought exactly why Kenshin would not choose a life of killing and murder when it pleased the senses so and had such an addictive flavour to it...

I believe after reading manga translations and watching the show, I truly finally started on the thread of thinking and slowly began to realise the real meaning, real impact of taking a life away... And also about independance: how Kenshin was ready to move when he needed to, not being overbearing on other people and just living his own life.

Mimi wo SUmaseba was another very encouraging, lovely movie - despite the plot being generally marked out early on (not that it was the focus anyway), it really was the development of the characters that influenced me. How Shizuku's parents treated her with respect and so likewise, and that they understood that she has a right to work for her own destiny, and don't expect her to do everything for them... And Shizuku herself, knowing that even if she forgoes her academic studies for self-discovery, it's a very good sacrifice and that academic studies aren't the only important thing in life. It really reinforced some beliefs I hold about life.

Mononoke Hime was another wonderful movie that really shed light on environemental issues. It is true that Man may be biting off more than he can chew from the Earth, BUT - does Man not need to live as well? For a creature of such size and brain it is only natural that they have different wants and needs from the other creatures. But that doesn't mean other creatures do not deserve respect simply because of that. Refusing to respect those who are weaker than you is a sign of selfish greediness... Not exactly the mark of a higher being. Oh, yes. I was absolutely estatic that there was no obviously obvious romantic relationship in this anime. I was so happy that people realise that romance is not the only goddamn thing in people's lives. That there is much more to life and that and it is no use simply dwelling on that and forgetting everything else. No point being so self-absorbed.

Even Azumanga Daioh influenced me: Because of its laidback, more easygoing lifestyle I learned to even appreciate the small aspects of school life, the randomness of my friends, and learn to stop getting so short-tempered and annoyed when everything rises and passes away and it's no point doing something stupid in a fit of anger...

Violinist of Hameln also further reinforced the preciousness of life. I didn't feel so much when Hameln killed people and killed things, but at the very end when something happened, I suddenly looked through everything again... and I really felt that for all the misunderstood, angry and difficult people out there, how much their lives could change just for a little respect and tolerance. I'm determined to do that - no matter how much people irritate me, I should stop and think and begin by respecting their point of view as being entirely equal to me, and wholly and fairly consider it...

I know I"m really wandering off the theme of each anime and running off elsewhere, but there you go, just a few of many examples of how the diverse subgenre of anime has enriched my life. You won't see many other animated shows doing this.
Old 2004-06-30, 08:43   Link #20
kanashimi

One of the most inspirational anime series out there has to be Gundam Seed as it has it all. Love, Humanity, Friendship, Life. you name it , it has it. It views life in a perspective that most people ignore, How it is taken for granted, and how there is no such thing as white or black , but merely shades of grey. It also shows how imperfect humans really are, and how seeking perfection can lead to destruction.
kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote