AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-06, 08:30   Link #1
ninpo

Any visually stunning anime?

Can anyone recommend any decent and graphically stunning anime, series or movies ?

Watched all the Studio Ghibli movies, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Mushishi, but is there any others out there?

Something with a decent story and very pleasing to the eye, any genre will do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-04-06, 08:35   Link #2
Grif

If you dont mind any genre. I will point you striaght to Makoto Shinkai, especially "the place promised in our early days" and "5 centimeters per second"

Also while we are on romance, add "Ef- a tale of memories", and its sister series "a tale of melodies".

Going into other genres, i think the kara no kyoukai movies are quite visually breathtaking.

Last edited by Grif; 2009-04-07 at 09:33.
Old 2009-04-06, 08:41   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here's some suggestions from a similar thread in 2007:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=54348

I'd add Ghost Hound, Dennou Coil, and Genji Sennenki Monogatari to the list I gave there; Real Drive is very well made, too, though the story didn't captivate me.
Old 2009-04-06, 10:49   Link #4
Statonxyb
hrm

Last Exile
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Old 2009-04-06, 10:54   Link #5
Saleh
Inactive

Adding Simoun, Allison and Lillia, True Tears to the list. They aren't high class visual stunners like most series mentioned above but they are worth watching if you have lot of spare time. Also recommending animes from KyoAni (Clannad, Air ...) for eye candy. If you like mecha then you may find Gundam 00 and Code Geass visually pleasing.
Old 2009-04-06, 11:11   Link #6
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

This thread could help too. A lot that have been mentioned came up in this thread so they could be related to what you are looking for.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=73914
Old 2009-04-06, 11:59   Link #7
cerrian

Perhaps in a similar vein as Studio Ghibli, I found the Aria series to be an absolute treat for the eyes at times. It doesn't have the fluidly and high production in the animation department as some of the other recommendations have, but Aria's art and coloring department blows the rest of them away.
Old 2009-04-06, 12:20   Link #8
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

I was also gonna suggest Last Exile. The visuals hold up as top tier even today. Dennou Coil too. Despite having a different style, it's visuals are still very good.

On the newer side, Shangri-La aired it's first episode yesterday. I don't know how it will turn out but it's visuals are top notch. It was done by Gonzo and some of the same people that worked on Last Exile.
Old 2009-04-06, 16:12   Link #9
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
not too well known, but Tekkon kinkreet rocked my world in terms af animation. it is by far the most awesome combination of original + stunning.
also, Aachi and Ssipak. most people get turned off by the stupid story, backgrounds and character design, but if you look only at the action scenes, they're awesome. one of the best displays of dynamic animation.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
Old 2009-04-06, 19:21   Link #10
Psycho_Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninpo View Post
Ninja Scroll
You'd love Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, if you haven't seen it already. It's be the director/character designer of Ninja Scroll, and it has some of the best animation I've seen.

Akira and Steamboy also have great animation.

Oh, and Paprika.
Old 2009-04-06, 21:15   Link #11
denice25

Last Exile is a nice one..
Old 2009-04-06, 22:33   Link #12
Rawgers
Nyaa~

If you desire series with unique animation, watch Kaiba and/or Mononoke (this is not Princess Mononoke). For a more action based anime with truly amazing amation, try Kara no Kyoukai, Sword of the Stranger, and Macross Plus. To end it off, I have no words to describe how amazing Dennou Coil's animation it.

All of the above series have awesome story, characters, and music as well.
Old 2009-04-07, 03:33   Link #13
Tier3

Kurozaka was really nice.
Initial D Fourth Stage is really well done too!
Old 2009-04-07, 08:08   Link #14
ninpo

thanks for all your suggestions

Everything suggested so far looks amazing, looking forward to watching them.

keep them coming...... :-)
Old 2009-04-07, 19:48   Link #15
Justin Kim
*Artist

Shakugan no Shana and AIR TV the movie. Aren't there also Bleach / Naruto movies your kind of missing out on, considering your signature?
Old 2009-04-07, 19:57   Link #16
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
AIR TV the movie
What?
Anyway, I basically support everything that Grif said, since he mentioned some of the best ones.
Old 2009-04-07, 19:58   Link #17
denice25

Try the Shangri-la and Last Exile!!!!
Old 2009-04-07, 20:08   Link #18
ginran
~Smile~

Kakurenbo (Hide and Seek) was a great, pretty creepy movie with really nice animation. Im not sure how well known it is though...

Moribito is a nice looking anime, though I havent watched too much of it. Ive heard its pretty great though, story and art wise.

Even though its more mainstream now, I always found Death Note to be a nice one to look at, with a great story to match.

This might be kinda not what you're looking for, but I also think Gurren Lagann had nice, smooth animation. But its more actiony than others...

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
Old 2009-04-07, 21:31   Link #19
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I also third Grif's recommendations, these are tops in terms of visual appeal. I'd also like to add some of Kyoani's such as the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Clannad.
Old 2009-04-07, 23:08   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

Visually-stunning animes.. The first one comes to mind would be Clannad.

Have you watched any animes that have character designs from CLAMP? Watch that, most of them are pretty good. Some examples include Code Geass and Vampire Knight.

Supposedly, the Growlanser IV ova features nicely drawn characters alongside Legend of Duo, but those two series are a bit old and thus, their animation coloring is rather outdated. Nonetheless, it is pretty good except that Legend of Duo don't have much of a story which is probably something you would want to pass. Growlanser IV ova don't have much of a story, unless you had played the game beforehand.

Thus, I recommend:

Clannad
Macross Frontier
Persona: Trinity Soul

I would add more to the list, but MAL is currently down. Again..
Closed Thread